Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We had the cars covered in it all weekend here, and that's before the Saharan sand blew in. In our case it's tree pollen and the levels were reported as very high recently.
    This morning we have the Saharan sand - as confirmed under the microscope - cars, railings, gates, etc. well dusted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Here it was birch and whitebeams, mostly.

The yellow/greenish pollen is as you correctly say predominantly birch pollen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This morning we have the Saharan sand - as confirmed under the microscope
    what are the characteristics you look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Polymodal grain size and quartz content among other things.
    what are the characteristics you look for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

whyulittle wrote: »

Where are those nextboxes? I went on Twitter but couldn't see a location mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Being serenaded for the past week for 12 hours a day by the loudest bird call I've heard in my area for a many year. It's driving me crazy that I can't id it. I'm living in the North Cork countryside, surrounded by mature pasture and hedges, with 15 year old forestry plantations around me. I thought I knew most of the birds in my area but not this one. If I could attach a sound file I would. I know it's a long shot without one, but I'll research any suggestions gratefully! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Being serenaded for the past week for 12 hours a day by the loudest bird call I've heard in my area for a many year. It's driving me crazy that I can't id it. I'm living in the North Cork countryside, surrounded by mature pasture and hedges, with 15 year old forestry plantations around me. I thought I knew most of the birds in my area but not this one. If I could attach a sound file I would. I know it's a long shot without one, but I'll research any suggestions gratefully! Thanks.

you could try an app called Bird up. It takes a recording of the bird song and gives you a percentage match as to what it could be.

RSBP.co.uk also has a great a-z listing of birds which includes a sample of their songs. I've used that to identify some in the past.

Heard what I thought sounded like a duck with hiccups the other evening and discovered it was a Woodcock flying over my head. Delighted to see and hear him as I've never encountered one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Can we just remove Corncrake from the possibilities? I know they're not supposed to be in Cork. And few enough people would even know it's a bird call. But ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Stigura wrote: »
    Can we just remove Corncrake from the possibilities? I know they're not supposed to be in Cork. And few enough people would even know it's a bird call. But ...

Corncrake would be a few hours at night...it would be good to get the call recorded so we can have a bit of fun trying to guess.

Maybe some gull? They do go on for ages this time if the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

When you say loud, I'm thinking Robin?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"A duck with the hiccups" is the best thing I've read in a loooong time. :D

New Home wrote: »
    "A duck with the hiccups" is the best thing I've read in a loooong time. :D

It thought it described his call very well a deep quack quack followed by a high pitched EEEK

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/woodcock/

http://www.xeno-canto.org/74736

Thanks for the replies. I'm tempted to go with the hiccupping duck for novelty value!
    I've been told it's possibly a nuthatch and checking it out online it does have a similar call with that very loud 'dog whistle ' , but I'm not sure if a nuthatch keeps belting out his song for 12 hours a day as this little chap is doing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be a woodpecker?

Could it be a woodpecker?

Unfortunately no. I haven't heard a woodpecker here ever. Maybe someday. I've sent a couple of recordings off to birdwatch Ireland so hopefully they can help id the bird call. Ad I type, he is absolutely belting away to his hearts content. Non stop...it just might be getting a very little bit annoying now..🀔

would love to hear it even if you could upload to youtube and share here?

Then it's probably a dog with a whistle. :D

Alright, here goes nothing. I'm using my phone so hope the link works. My first thought last week was a thrush but I've seen and heard these every year and never heard one do the dog whistle repeat call for hours on end. I just know now that's what I'm going to be told after hyping it up!!
    https://youtu.be/RNapgYh42e0

A thrush?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a song thrush..

Edit.. could it be a blackcap?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/blackcap/

After looking online I found a clip where the narrator explains that it appears some individual song thrushes seem to have favourite calls that they keep coming back to , rather than a wide range of calls. Maybe I've got one of those lads in my field?

Maybe it's a thrush with an earworm. :D

:( Just as I expected; I could here fumbling. Maybe a bit of wind? It even sounded like the feintest hint of a woodpigeon, somewhere in the background. Other than that?

I know for a fact I can no longer hear blackcaps. Come to that; I can't even remember the last time I heard a thrush or blackbird sing!

Do I take it, it's quite loud and clear to everyone else? My hearing's been shot for years now. I've lost the ability to pick up more and more bird sounds.

So frustrating!

Maybe it's a thrush with an earworm. :D

Well I'm after catching it now after being saturated by the call this past week. I'm off to annoy my work colleagues with a few hours whistling now! Thanks for the help folks.

Stigura wrote: »
    :( Just as I expected; I could here fumbling. Maybe a bit of wind? It even sounded like the feintest hint of a woodpigeon, somewhere in the background. Other than that?

I know for a fact I can no longer hear blackcaps. Come to that; I can't even remember the last time I heard a thrush or blackbird sing!

Do I take it, it's quite loud and clear to everyone else? My hearing's been shot for years now. I've lost the ability to pick up more and more bird sounds.

So frustrating!

Its pretty loud alright, it starts a couple of seconds after the fumbling noise.
    Turn the volume up to 11 !!!

:( Yep. That proves it then. I first noticed this when I bought a bird ID video, for the wife. Narration was saying, like; " And here, the x bird delivers its song, typically, from the top of a bush. "

I'm sat, watching the beak opening and closing. Saying to the wife; " Is that bird making any sound? Can ye hear it? " She could. Loud and clear.

Warblers proved the first to go. Something about their frequency? I know I can hear woodpigeon, pheasant, crow. Really not sure about starling, now I come to think of it. Honestly can't even remember the last time I noticed a wren, robin or blackbird belting it out either. Damn!

I think theres a few different birds in the clip you shared, one possibly a blackbird in the distance.

Kamili wrote: »
    I think theres a few different birds in the clip you shared, one possibly a blackbird in the distance.

True. I'm blessed to be surrounded by a variety of habitat so I've a large variety of birds around. In the last few years I've even got buzzards keeping me entertained with their cat calling and circling overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Being serenaded for the past week for 12 hours a day by the loudest bird call I've heard in my area for a many year. It's driving me crazy that I can't id it.

record it with your phone..and then upload the sound file onto this free website

so we can all hear

Advertisement