Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In a similar vein to Neer, anybody seen the video of Diego having the craic at the Carnival?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kybtiklnhWU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

In a similar vein to Neer, anybody seen the video of Diego having the craic at the Carnival?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kybtiklnhWU

shame he wasn't as fired up when he meet Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

shame he wasn't as fired up when he meet Conor

He was very fired up when he faced Conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

TimRiggins wrote: »

he was in his hole, sure he was bowing down beforehand

he was in his hole, sure he was bowing down beforehand

What? Dana White said afterwards it was the most fired up he's even seen him, and he what has him bowing to do with anything? Its a mark of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For the first 90 seconds then Conor landed and he gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

What? Dana White said afterwards it was the most fired up he's even seen him, and he what has him bowing to do with anything? Its a mark of respect.

Yeah Dana would never lie

xtal191 wrote: »
    Yeah Dana would never lie

There wouldn't be much point lying about that, anyone who seen the fight could see Brandao was fired up before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

There wouldn't be much point lying about that, anyone who seen the fight could see Brandao was fired up before hand.

The 54 burpees before Conor walked in suggest he was fired up....and ****ed by the time the fight started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anyone see this?
    Mark Bocek just tweeted it. I wonder people will actually avoid it and if it'll change anything. I highly doubt it.

https://twitter.com/markbocek/status/570652548501262336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Also because it's a sh*t card!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sorry if this is in the wrong place as I know it's not strictly UFC chit chat as per the title, but does anyone have an interest in the Invicta 11 event (Cyborg vs Tweet) on Friday night? For those interested, it's being streamed live on Fight Pass.

Despite a lot skepticism about what would happen, it appears Cyborg passed her out-of-competition random test. Will a win this weekend see her next fight be in the UFC and what are your thoughts on her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Was convinced for a second when I read the post that it would be Diego Sanchez getting into a boxing ring with one of those strongmen at a carnival :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place as I know it's not strictly UFC chit chat as per the title, but does anyone have an interest in the Invicta 11 event (Cyborg vs Tweet) on Friday night? For those interested, it's being streamed live on Fight Pass.

Despite a lot skepticism about what would happen, it appears Cyborg passed her out-of-competition random test. Will a win this weekend see her next fight be in the UFC and what are your thoughts on her?

She's a great fighter. 10 TKO/KO finishes out of her 12 victories to date. She was an absolute stud in Strikeforce and continues to be in Invicta. It's only a matter of time before she's launched into the UFC.

She's probably the most serious threat to Rousey's belt but it's hard to know if they'd make the title fight right off the bat. I don't see why not. The fans want it and the division isn't exactly filled with a vast array of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »

Passing a random test that she knew was coming means nothing really. (it was a condition for getting licensed). Apparently, the results are still out on one test (was random tested twice).

"Next fight in the UFC", I wouldn't be too confident of that tbh. She has never made the weight limit. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she should be fighting for the vacant 135lb belt.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    She's probably the most serious threat to Rousey's belt but it's hard to know if they'd make the title fight right off the bat. I don't see why not.
    Making the immediate shot would be really stupid decision. Mainly due to;
    • She's never made 135lbs.
    • She has missed weight at FW, was 152lbs.
    • Past steroid use.

Either she is still on the juice and can't make 135 right now, or she doesn't want to drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Anyone see this?
    Mark Bocek just tweeted it. I wonder people will actually avoid it and if it'll change anything. I highly doubt it.

A retired fighter backing this is very odd, very disrespectful to all athletes involved on the card its not their fault Weidman/Belfort couldn't go ahead and Mir/Bigfoot moved to headline a different card. The UFC have refunded anyone who purchased tickets to the event and wasn't happy with current card and people won't buy the PPV if they don't see value not because Mark Boceck said so or someone else said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Pretty cool wood animation of Rousey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Making the immediate shot would be really stupid decision. Mainly due to;
    • She's never made 135lbs.
    • She has missed weight at FW, was 152lbs.
    • Past steroid use.

What about Vitor Belfort? i think if you are banning contenders from title shots due to past failures you would quickly run down the list. She is the best female fighter not in the UFC. The UFC have often given people title shots coming from different organisations.

Dan Henderson , Jake Shields etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kimbo v Shamrock just announced by Bellator; June 20th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ASOT wrote: »
    Kimbo v Shamrock just announced by Bellator; June 20th!

So does that mean Ken isn't fighting James Quinn McDonagh?? :-)

• Advertisement

What about Vitor Belfort? i think if you are banning contenders from title shots due to past failures you would quickly run down the list. She is the best female fighter not in the UFC. The UFC have often given people title shots coming from different organisations.

Dan Henderson , Jake Shields etc.

Sorry I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that she be blacklisted due to previous indiscretions. I'm happy to that stay in the past.

My point was that she's never made 135lbs. She has missed 145, and was apparently using stanezol to help with cutting to 145. She was booked at 135 last year, but pulled out with an "injury" after returning from thailand. Her fight this this weekend is back at 145.

I have my doubts as to whether she can make 135lbs tbh, not right now anyway. Past PED use might have simply removed that option for her.
    However, If she can walk into the UFC offices at 150lbs, then by all means book it. But I wouldn't be booking the current 160lbs Cyborg for the BW title, and thats current fight condition. Out of camp weight is +5/10lbs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Mellor wrote: »
    Sorry I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting that she be blacklisted due to previous indiscretions. I'm happy to that stay in the past.

The problem is testosterone usage is permanent - the extra nuclei on your muscle never go away. Therefore people who use steroids probably should be banned for life.

I'm not anti-steroid at all (I'm sure I'll be on TRT in a few years) but we need to be real about test use - it isn't temporary.

The problem is testosterone usage is permanent - the extra nuclei on your muscle never go away. Therefore people who use steroids probably should be banned for life.

I'm not anti-steroid at all (I'm sure I'll be on TRT in a few years) but we need to be real about test use - it isn't temporary.
    It’s a bit of an exaggeration to say the effects of testosterone are permanent. Extra nuclei might remain, but strength/size falls off post-PEDs.
    The same can be said for any strength training though, it creates extra nuclei that remain, but strength levels drop after a training peak/break.
    However it’s much easier to regain that strength next strength phase due to muscle memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if steroids laid those kinds of muscle memory “foundations”, so in that case there's a benefit. But I don’t think there would be any long term strength increase, compared to say somebody who worked on strength the whole time naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Is Bellator ever shown on any channel on Sky here in Ireland or is a stream my only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s a bit of an exaggeration to say the effects of testosterone are permanent. Extra nuclei might remain, but strength/size falls off post-PEDs.
    The same can be said for any strength training though, it creates extra nuclei that remain, but strength levels drop after a training peak/break.
    However it’s much easier to regain that strength next strength phase due to muscle memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if steroids laid those kinds of muscle memory “foundations”, so in that case there's a benefit. But I don’t think there would be any long term strength increase, compared to say somebody who worked on strength the whole time naturally.

Not all of the effects are permanent, but a number of studies have shown that steroid use can effect permanent changes on the way the body responds to muscle stimuli. This one uses mice as an example, where the mice are administered steroids for 3 weeks, then taken off them for 3 weeks. This is a significant length of time taking into account the lifespan of a mouse. After 3 weeks of no roids, the mice underwent physical stress and it was found that they responded much better than mice who hadn't been given steroids.

Steroid use physically alters the physiology of how our body responds to certain hormones, I don't find it all difficult to imagine those effects lasting long after periods of steroid use.

I would make the very rough analogy to being vaccinated; a foreign species is introduced to the body, your body says wtf is this and responds to it. Forever after, physical remnants of the time your body came across this thing will be present in your system, causing you to react differently than you would had no vaccination been administered. ...Now that I've written that, it's a forced analogy, but I'm mainly trying to get across the point that the human body has an amazing capacity to adapt, and when it does, those changes don't just disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hoki wrote: »
    Is Bellator ever shown on any channel on Sky here in Ireland or is a stream my only option?
    It used be shown on Viva music station but I've not seen it on for a long while

UFC after doing a Welcome to the Show presser on youtube, Its on at the minute nearly finished I think, I'd recommend watching it back great press conference some hilarious bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

This just happened between Jones and Rumble.

http://instagram.com/p/zqMOKiJJRE/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This just happened between Jones and Rumble.

http://instagram.com/p/zqMOKiJJRE/

Haha, that was quite funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

fair play to them
    enjoyed that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement