Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambition

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking a long time about where I want to be in the future.
    As in what would give me the life that I want to be rich and successfull i don't mean Ive got 1.2 million euros It would be nice but I don't think it will ever happen.

But the term rich and sucsefull is different for every person, some seek fame money fast cars and beautifull women, for some its completely different.

whats yours ?

Comments

I'd really like a business of my own, to build a thatched house, to climb kilimanajaro, to live in New York for a while, to have something published, to own an ice cream parlour and to be a pushy go kart mom by breeding ginger racers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I run on ambition, if I don't, I'm a bit screwed.

'Making it' can be a sad idea to a lot of people, but at the end of the day, it's gotta be done in certain industries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To own my own business
    Make mistakes sure but survive or perish by your own decisions.
    I've ideas, somedays I wake up feeling passionate about an idea but it takes guts to leave a PAYE job. I suppose start something part-time and see how it goes it way to go.

Working long hours and watching your managers stroll out the door hours before you do sucks.
    And watching your former friends and teammates get promoted and turn into miniature tyrants now they have a little power :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I have absolutely no idea. Not yet at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Own my own home, possibly my own business and a very reliable 2 cars! Sky movies is a bonus!

The simple life for me really!

12 Kids would be lovely.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I like this thread. Let's see!!! Would love to live by the sea somewhere warm (Spain or Malta). I got the taste of Malta for a little bit when I lived there and fell in love with the place. I would love to see some of my writing work published. I want to teach others, that's what I love. That's it really, a nice apartment by the sea where I can go for a swim and surf everyday before work. Have fun down in the food markets interacting with the locals. Sick of city life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Fast cars get stuck in traffic. Beautiful women get ugly as they get older, at which point you realise that they aren't as interesting as you thought. Either that or they divorce you and take half your stuff. Being famous means you get approached by random idiots in the street.

I'd just like to be respected for being really good at what I do: "shít, I have no idea how to do that, go ask Fremen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Have a secure well paid job,a beautiful wife and 4 children,a nice house with a sea view and a class sports car.
    Keepin it real!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peadar91

if I had the money i'd be an extreme sports junky! buy bikes, quads, snowboards, boats, jets, and loads more. lots of land would be good, and not to mention a lifes suply of drink.:D basiclly money has to bring me some fun and enjoyment or its now worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

To earn a living from writing. Not Rowling/Pratchett/Brooks type success, just enough so I can continue writing and support my family. That, in my eyes, would be utter success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

peadar91 wrote: »
    if I had the money i'd be an extreme sports junky! buy bikes, quads, snowboards, boats, jets, and loads more. lots of land would be good, and not to mention a lifes suply of drink.:D basiclly money has to bring me some fun and enjoyment or its now worth it

problem with that life style is injurys :(
    With the risk comes a flip its called being in hospital :( which is not something thats fun. you put your self in positions where if you mess up
    theres sore times to be had...
    Its a very big comitment to live the kinda life.... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great thread.

I have never been driven by desire to have huge amounts of cash but just to be comfortable and I don't mind working for it but I would love to have the time to spend it. Plenty of people have heaps of cash but work every hour so never get to spend it, a waste imo.

In terms of career to have a job that I enjoy going into everyday, in these times that is going to hard to achieve but the day I start giving up it is all downhill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cool thread SM.

To be content.What does that mean?

I guess my vision of contentment is having a wife that I love and loves me,a couple of kids,a decent job that I enjoy doing,my own house,being able to comfortably provide for my kids needs (not spoil them but making sure they dont miss out on anything).I would like like to build my own house at some stage too.I have a site if I want it anyway and know exactly the type of house I would build.The only 2 pre-requisites would be my own media room with a kick ass projector screen and a huge stainless steel kitchen.

The best thing is,all of the above are pretty achievable.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

mikemac wrote: »
    To own my own business
    Make mistakes sure but survive or perish by your own decisions.
    I've ideas, somedays I wake up feeling passionate about an idea but it takes guts to leave a PAYE job. I suppose start something part-time and see how it goes it way to go.

Working long hours and watching your managers stroll out the door hours before you do sucks.
    And watching your former friends and teammates get promoted and turn into miniature tyrants now they have a little power :(

Having done the own your own business thing (well, an equal share among some good friends) I have two things to say to that:
    • It's a lot easier to start than you think.
    • It's a lot harder to do than you think.

It's pretty much a case of the long hours you have now coupled with the fact that it doesn't stop when you go home.

Having said that, just do it. It's an experience you can't get many other ways. Even if you end up back in PAYE land (like I am) you'll be all the better for it. Many employers are impressed by self-employment on a CV (unless it's an epic failure, I guess) and from your own personal development point of view you'll work better. Boss makes crazy decisions? You can see it from his/her point of view. 10+ hour days? Meh, at least you can go home, go to sleep and forget about it. Co-workers being a pain in the ass? Well, at least they're not a director with equal standing to you.

As for me, I'm pretty vague about my long-term goals. I try to think about the long-term consequences of most big decisions but that's tricky enough. I guess I'm roughly working on:
    1. Choose the option that will give me more free time.
      1. Time when I'm retired is also free time, a decision which will force me to retire later is an expensive one.
    2. Choose the path of least indebtedness. (See 1a)
    3. Choose work that will make me happy. I spend enough time at it, I may as well enjoy it.
    4. Work to make it to a top-level 50m rifle match and not make a tit of myself.
      • If I succeed at this, revise it to medal-winning.
        • If I succeed at this, revise it to winning a medal in the Olympics.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    a huge stainless steel kitchen.

The best thing is,all of the above are pretty achievable.:)

There is no way in hell you are going to convince any woman to have a stainless steel kitchen! Do you know how hard it is to keep those things clean looking!

And my dreams are achieveable too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think I'd get depressed in a stainless steel kitchen - It'd feel like a job.

* It's a lot easier to start than you think.
    * It's a lot harder to do than you think.

It's pretty much a case of the long hours you have now coupled with the fact that it doesn't stop when you go home.
    Agreed - It's a worthwhile thing to do imo, it gives you a good understanding of business, but it's not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moonbaby wrote: »
    There is no way in hell you are going to convince any woman to have a stainless steel kitchen! Do you know how hard it is to keep those things clean looking!

Me and the kitchen are a package deal,love me,love my kitchen.:D

I would have no problem whatsoever in cleaning it anyway plus I think it would be easier to keep clean than a regular kitchen.

I dont know what it is about them but I just think they are awesome looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I always set myself achievable goals in life and when I reach that goal I set another one. Small steps up the ladder rather then overreaching and never getting anything.
    My newest goal is to make a waistcoat from scratch. Not a huge earth-shattering ambition but I kow that when I do it I'll be happier.

I tried to come up with a snappy, pithy reply but Fremen has stolen the show with his wonderfully succint ambition:
    Fremen wrote: »
    I'd just like to be respected for being really good at what I do: "shít, I have no idea how to do that, go ask Fremen".
    Thread closed after that as far as I'm concerned. Bravo Sir.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I dont know what it is about them but I just think they are awesome looking.

They are utterly beautiful, and über practical. Hats off to you, sir ;)

My ambition is to be able to write about what I love. My dream is to change peoples' perceptions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

My main ambition in life, is to have a family and be happy. If i get that, im sorted :)

Then there's the other smaller ones like, building a quad bike from sratch, building a guitar from scratch, write a book, amoung others. They're not really ambitions, but things id like to do at some stage.

+1 on what Freman said, being respected for being good at what i do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't really have any ambitions to be recognized for anything. My main motivation in life is to stay happy and content for my existence. Money and material possessions are a secondary concern.

I also want to live close to mountains (the wheels are already in motion). To own a simple cabin near a lake, with the woman I love and maybe 1 or 2 children.

A life spent in the mountains, trekking and climbing in the spring/summer, hunting in the autumn and snowboarding in the winter would be my idea of a perfect life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Honestly, i want to enjoy making love as much as i do now.
    You cant bring money with you after you die, so when living..the love making is a high point. I hope theres always a lady there that makes me arrive at the gates :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I never really listed mine all of which are really acheavable..

Id love to right a book actualy Id love to write two books about to significants times in music......

I want to own a huff huse because there cool econmical and different.

not sure abour carrers tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My goal is to be very competent in a technical career (science or engineering) and work in aviation. I'll eventually be able to buy and run a plane, get my pilot's licence, learn to kite surf, keep my great relationship with my girlfriend going. I'm not so worried about having a big house, just a cosy one. Cars... well, good sports cars can be gotten cheaply.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My ambition was always to have a big family and to be happy.

Ive achieved that now with 4 kids a great wife and am (kinda) financially secure.

It used to be to rich and have a well paid job but thats not all life is about--It doesnt make you happy and you end up working to make someone else rich-well in this game you do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think my main ambition in life is to be happy. Anything else after that is a bonus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Teferi wrote: »
    To earn a living from writing.
    I earn a living from writing but it's scienctific and medical and I write to someone else's agenda. I'd love to earn a living writing fiction.

My ideal ambition is to be earning enough money to pay off the mortgage early, earn enough so that my wife doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to and have enough so that my kids don't suffer hardship, or grow up hearing their parents stressing and arguing over money when they've gone to bed.

So far I've done very, very well in my career, doubling my income in 5 years, and would love to keep working for this company but moving back to Ireland to be near family and friends is also high on my list. That's a huge logistical operation regarding jobs, new mortgage, where we'd be able to live, what we'd be able to afford, the state of the Irish economy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I am looking at going back to college next year (Sept 10) part time. I would like to have a nice job etc. but it's not the be all and end all. I have worked since I was 19 and have no qualifications which is hindering me somewhat.

Between now and college I think I'd like to get into web design.

I need a good kick up the arse though to do these things!

No aspirations to have kids or get married though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I would like to own my own business, conditions at the moment aren't favourable though >.<

Would also like to travel but I need to be thinking career wise what I want to do. Can't be arsing about forever.

In an ideal world I'd like to be happy in my job (whatever it may be) and earn enough to live relatively comfortably. Will keep pickin away at my business idea too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well, I have a house, good job and great wife. Money for retirement is sorted out but I want to do more travelling and have started putting some money aside for hiking to Everest Base Camp. :)

Advertisement