Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I've noticed/ Needed explaining/ Need explaining

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's the notes for the speech he just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

What did Cedric Daniels do in the Eastern District? It was mentioned a few times as being a huge mistake but I don't think I heard what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The guy wrote: »
    What did Cedric Daniels do in the Eastern District? It was mentioned a few times as being a huge mistake but I don't think I heard what it was.
    It was never spelled out exactly what he did.
    In the finale Carver is presented as the new Daniels and Carver was up to all sorts of shit with Herc such as keeping money from drug busts etc.
    McNulty's FBI friend said Daniels had more money in his back accounts than he could have legitimately earned from his job when the FBI investigated him but he didn't say where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It was never spelled out exactly what he did.
    In the finale Carver is presented as the new Daniels and Carver was up to all sorts of shit with Herc such as keeping money from drug busts etc.
    McNulty's FBI friend said Daniels had more money in his back accounts than he could have legitimately earned from his job when the FBI investigated him but he didn't say where it came from.
    I agree, the final scenes explain most of the unanswered questions about the established characters. What Daniels did is never told, but Carver stole money and was involved in the blinding of that kid. he has the same ghosts in his closet that Daniels has when we first meet him in episode 1.

Dookie shows one possible way that someone like bobbles bubbles could have fallen between the cracks as a younger man... Michael realising that there is more than one way to play the game than simply taking orders or getting shot on a corner like Bodie. Even Wee-bay / cutty, By the time Bay gets out of jail the game would have changed so much, with the likes of Kenard running about acting worse than Marlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Not really a spoiler, but I'll be cautious:
    When Bunk is inspecting the scene of one of Omar's attacks on a stash house Kenard is one of the kids playing as Omar
    I thought that was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

Scien wrote: »
    Was the last time we saw Poot when
    Bodie got shot
    or was that him working in the Footlocker place where Duquan went to get a Job?
    Poot was working in the footlocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Barrington wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:
    Koutris is an agent in the FBI's counter-terrorism unit who feeds information on the bureau’s activity to The Greek. He is responsible for telling the Greek about an investigation by Baltimore police and the local FBI, and gives The Greek warning enough to temporarily shut down his smuggling operation. He is rewarded with information on a large shipment of drugs that he seizes on the FBI’s behalf. Koutris is also responsible for telling The Greek that his contact in the Baltimore port, Frank Sobotka, has agreed to give evidence against him. This information leads to Sobotka’s death. FBI Agent Fitzhugh realizes Koutris is a leak, but is unable to do anything because Koutris is well-regarded because of the drug arrest. It is implied (and has subsequently been confirmed by creator David Simon) that Koutris is protecting The Greek as a confidential informant for information about potential acts of terrorism; rather than being "corrupt" per se, Koutris is actually following standard FBI policy.

ITs been a while since i seen s2 but what could the greek have known about terrorism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

Bob Z wrote: »
    ITs been a while since i seen s2 but what could the greek have known about terrorism?
    Vondas said he helped people smuggle things into the country and didn't care if it was drugs, women or bombs.
    Can't remember what episode or even season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

In season five (episode 4) Just before McNulty takes the business card from the crazy homeless man we see the big beardy guy that worked at the docks (pulling the heists with Nicky and Ziggy) is now homeless, living with his dog under the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dave! wrote: »
    Is Rawls gay or what?!??! Most random and undeveloped plot ever !

It's certainly inferred but not confirmed either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Not giving out but please can people put what season etc they are writing about before using the spoilers!?

Its very very very annoying opening a spoiler to find out its season 5 or something,where if I knew that before hand I wouldnt open it.

Season 5 Episode 4
    I think thats fairer on everyone who mightnt have watched this far??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Season 2 Episode 4
    Shut up Gillington

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Dave! wrote: »
    Season 2 Episode 4
    Shut up Gillington

:p

Lol guess I was asking for that

efla wrote: »
    Levy and Herc, Season 5
    Been thinking about this since watching season 5 again; was Levy aware that Herc had supplied Carver with Marlo's number?

Levy is seen discussing a possible leak with Marlo in the holding cells - should he not have figured that it was Herc? If Levy, as he later said, stood to profit more in pre-trial charges from a wiretap case, why would he not pass the number to Herc to give to the cops in the first place?

Seems strange that he wouldn't put two and two together - or was he aware and just playing along?
    One can only presume so. An admission of this kind would surely have resulted in him getting murdered.

happytramp wrote: »
    In season five (episode 4) Just before McNulty takes the business card from the crazy homeless man we see the big beardy guy that worked at the docks (pulling the heists with Nicky and Ziggy) is now homeless, living with his dog under the bridge.

I never noticed that the first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

orourkeda wrote: »
    I never noticed that the first time around
    I think he was
    on an undercover job. He did say to McNulty before he left, you should give me a dollar to make this look real

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I think he was
    on an undercover job. He did say to McNulty before he left, you should give me a dollar to make this look real

Don't think so -
    all the commentary I've read says that he's meant to indicate what can happen to people when their work dries up and they don't have a social structure around them to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

TrueDub wrote: »
    Don't think so -
    all the commentary I've read says that he's meant to indicate what can happen to people when their work dries up and they don't have a social structure around them to support them.

Ahh ok I
    thought he was an undercover cop and he wanted to give McNulty a heads up on the bogus stories being put out by Templeton

I'm sad that I'm finished the Wire. This was my first time watching it and really really loved it.
    Will give it a little while and then rewatch to find out what else I've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ahh ok I
    thought he was an undercover cop and he wanted to give McNulty a heads up on the bogus stories being put out by Templeton

I'm sad that I'm finished the Wire. This was my first time watching it and really really loved it.
    Will give it a little while and then rewatch to find out what else I've missed.
    There is an undercover cop with the homeless who does that, but this is a different scene. It's the guy from Season 2 with the beard (Johnny 50, I think his name is) who helped Ziggy and Nick steal from the docks. With the closing of the docks, he became homeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It was an undercover cop who asked for the buck, the beardy lad doesn't say anything after season 2.

I thought it was just black people who most people couldn't tell the difference between :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

at the end of season 2 when the greek says to vondas
    "i'm not even greek" when their getting ready to leave.
    Is he only saying that because of
    the fake passports/new identities they can get as shown by vondas to nicky earlier with his hungarian passport
    and when
    the greek & vondas are at a table with some guy and passports from different east european countries

i think that
    he is actually greek because of the meals we see them at & him saying to the turkish captain something like them being enemies in the old country and when he says that to vondas he's smiling, because the cops will be looking for greek nationals + they'll have some other nationalities on their passports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

batistuta9 wrote: »
    at the end of season 2 when the greek says to vondas
    "i'm not even greek" when their getting ready to leave.
    Is he only saying that because of
    the fake passports/new identities they can get as shown by vondas to nicky earlier with his hungarian passport
    and when
    the greek & vondas are at a table with some guy and passports from different east european countries

i think that
    he is actually greek because of the meals we see them at & him saying to the turkish captain something like them being enemies in the old country and when he says that to vondas he's smiling, because the cops will be looking for greek nationals + they'll have some other nationalities on their passports

From a different thread about 6 months ago:
    Interestingly some website (maybe wiki) concluded that the Greek was probably Cypriot or Pontic Greek (Georgia/Crimea) in origin due to the fact that he did actually speak Greek on several occasions

This would also explain why he
    referred to the Turkish captain as an enemy

Funglegunk wrote: »
    From a different thread about 6 months ago:

This would also explain why he
    referred to the Turkish captain as an enemy

yeah i came across something similar myself when googling it but no definite answer most of the
    other countries they mention him being from like above, including armenia (they don't get on with turks either) which i seen somewhere have some reason for disliking turks and just more or less they just seem to think he's from that region of east europe

but i still think
    he's actually a greek because of the way he's smiling when saying it to vondas; he's knows they'll not be looking for him when he's got the new passport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

efla wrote: »
    And likes Daniels. The camera hangs on Rawls watching him leave a number of times, and he makes a few overcompensating comments directly to him.

Im going to have to watch it all over again. I totally missed all of this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Spent the last few months watching all 5 seasons - I can finally go to forums without fear of spoilers!

Season 2:
    Is Vondas gay? I remember in one scene with The Greek where he says "he wishes he had a son - but then he'd have to have a wife!". I was never sure whether his affection for Nick Sobtoka was fatherly love, or more that he fancied him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Something I hear drug bosses and fiends refer to throughout a series is a 'smoker' usually when talking about a new package of heroin. Is that just simply slang for a new batch or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Is Vondas gay? .

That's not what I took from that comment anyway.

The comment seems to correlate with the scene in that they have to move on as the operation was compromised.

If he had a wife he wouldn't be free to do business and business comes first.
    “ Business. Always Business. ”
    —The Greek

In this quote The Greek refers to the fact that everything they do is for the business they are running, from the manipulation of the ports to their own names and lives. They are twisting the world to meet their own ends but they are also an institution in itself, connected to the other institutions such as the FBI, the shipping docks, immigration, etc. It also hints at the fact that the crime business cycle will continue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_in_a_Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm watching season 4 again, there's a scene where Jimmy and Bunk are talking in a diner and they both have their kids with them, and Jimmy
    asks one of Bunk's kids what he wants to be when he grows up, and Bunk says something like "he's still in the paediatric neurosurgeon phase" thats exactly what one of the kids in the class Bunny is running answers earlier in the season when he asks them what they want to be when they get older, is that Bunks kid in the class?

krudler wrote: »
    I'm watching season 4 again, there's a scene where Jimmy and Bunk are talking in a diner and they both have their kids with them, and Jimmy
    asks one of Bunk's kids what he wants to be when he grows up, and Bunk says something like "he's still in the paediatric neurosurgeon phase" thats exactly what one of the kids in the class Bunny is running answers earlier in the season when he asks them what they want to be when they get older, is that Bunks kid in the class?

no.
    that's a kid called albert - he storms out of that class later in the series, then you find out his mother died- there's a black guy who's a paediatric neurosurgeon & kinda famous/well known or something at the hospital, that's why the both say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no.
    that's a kid called albert - he storms out of that class later in the series, then you find out his mother died- there's a black guy who's a paediatric neurosurgeon & kinda famous/well known or something at the hospital, that's why the both say it.

ah thats it, cheers

Advertisement