Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I've noticed/ Needed explaining/ Need explaining

Options
  • 08-07-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

"I don't truck with CP time" - Marlo, S03 E08

CP - Coloured Peoples Time. An American expression referring to a stereotype of African Americans or Latinos as frequently being late.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_People%27s_Time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

What was the signifigance of
    the body tags getting accidentally swapped on Omar's body at the end of S05E08
    ? was it just a general reference to the way sometimes people miss small details.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I've read a few different reasons or ways people see it. I think the writers said it was showing that on the street Omar was a big, well known, mythical figure whereas in the cold harsh real world everywhere else he's just
    another statistic in a body bag.

I don't really know to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

That would make sense when referenced to another scene in the same series.. In the newspaper copy room, one journalist purposes two articles to fill one last gap in the paper before it went to print: One article was a big fire out in one of the suburbs.. the other was
    34 year old black male shot dead in a convience store
    Editor: We'll go with the fire story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah but how does the coroner know that the tags are switched????

The newspaper scene is great. Omar was just another dead black male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah but how does the coroner know that the tags are switched????

He looks at the name Omar and reasons that this isn't a white name. He looks at the tag and the error is revealed to him.

[I suppose the sub-text is that the coroner is not all too used to white guys so the name and the body clashed]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is Rawls gay or what?!??! Most random and undeveloped plot ever !

Dave! wrote: »
    Is Rawls gay or what?!??! Most random and undeveloped plot ever !

Short answer is yes. We see him in a gay bar and we see the graffiti in the Homicide bathroom.

Plus he overcompensates via his mini-speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Loveless wrote: »
    What was the signifigance of
    the body tags getting accidentally swapped on Omar's body at the end of S05E08
    ? was it just a general reference to the way sometimes people miss small details.. ?

Good man, i was confused by this also but forgot about it until i saw this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

scop wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. We see him in a gay bar and we see the graffiti in the Homicide bathroom.

Plus he overcompensates via his mini-speeches.

And likes Daniels. The camera hangs on Rawls watching him leave a number of times, and he makes a few overcompensating comments directly to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh but who could resist Daniels' infective personality, his warm sense of humour, his disarming charm, and his ...... deceptively well-defined abs...??? If wanting to shag Daniels makes you gay, then gay me up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Was the last time we saw Poot when
    Bodie got shot
    or was that him working in the Footlocker place where Duquan went to get a Job?

We see Lester in the last episode of S5 being affectionate with the stripper girl from S2.
    Who did he bring along to
    McNultys Wake?
    I.e Was he married/was she just his bit on the side?

There were suggestions in Season 1 (and a warning from daniels) that they may have had a thing. They are married by season 5, and he mentions her across all seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

We see Lester in the last episode of S5 being affectionate with the stripper girl from S2.
    Who did he bring along to
    McNultys Wake?
    I.e Was he married/was she just his bit on the side?

Yeah, it was the same girl throughout. One of the reasons I love The Wire. Just because its not mentioned and a big deal made over it doesn't mean the characters don't have lives going on outside the main storyline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Yeah, it was the same girl throughout. One of the reasons I love The Wire. Just because its not mentioned and a big deal made over it doesn't mean the characters don't have lives going on outside the main storyline
    That reminds me of the great speech Lester gave to Jimmy in season 3 over his obsession with 'the job', finishing with: "A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the sh!t that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come". Lester was such a brilliant character.

Was the last time we saw Poot when
    Bodie got shot
    or was that him working in the Footlocker place where Duquan went to get a Job?

That was Poot in the Footlocker place indeed.

Levy and Herc, Season 5
    Been thinking about this since watching season 5 again; was Levy aware that Herc had supplied Carver with Marlo's number?

Levy is seen discussing a possible leak with Marlo in the holding cells - should he not have figured that it was Herc? If Levy, as he later said, stood to profit more in pre-trial charges from a wiretap case, why would he not pass the number to Herc to give to the cops in the first place?

Seems strange that he wouldn't put two and two together - or was he aware and just playing along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Just wondering if anyone knows....
    Are Randy and Cheese related?...when his real name is up on the case board he has the same surname as Randy but I don't remember anything being mentioned about any connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I think they were going to write it into the story that Randy is Cheese's son but decided not to at the last minute?

He says it in an interview somewhere but i don't have any links for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I think they were going to write it into the story that Randy is Cheese's son but decided not to at the last minute?

He says it in an interview somewhere but i don't have any links for it.

That relationship is referred to in this article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Wagstaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

This is a real nerdy question, but in S2 McNulty and the doctor figured out how long the 13 girls would have stayed alive in the can.

They used this to figure out the time of death - and thus put the deaths on Rawls.

But they could only have calculated how long they would have stayed alive after the vent was closed - they never had any way of knowing when that occured.

Or had they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yep, that's a real nerdy question alright :D.

I can't remember the doc and McNulty working out how long they survived in the can. I think McNulty's concern was when the deaths occurred rather than when the action took place to cause the deaths.

Thus when he knew the time of death he focused on figuring out where the ship was when the deaths occurred. I think he used tide patterns to work it out which placed the ship within Rawl's jurisdiction at the time of death.

Gotta love Rawls' reacton when he realises he's been stiffed with a stone cold whodunnit and a can load of bodies :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yep, that's a real nerdy question alright :D.

I can't remember the doc and McNulty working out how long they survived in the can. I think McNulty's concern was when the deaths occurred rather than when the action took place to cause the deaths.

Thus when he knew the time of death he focused on figuring out where the ship was when the deaths occurred. I think he used tide patterns to work it out which placed the ship within Rawl's jurisdiction at the time of death.

Gotta love Rawls' reacton when he realises he's been stiffed with a stone cold whodunnit and a can load of bodies :D.

No, he used the tides to place the floater that they found under Baltimore City jurisdiction. There was no way to know where abouts the 13 girls died unless they knew the exact time that the air vent was hammered shut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

as far as i recall, the doctor was able to tell from the bodies how long they were dead. and the calculation they did gave them the length of time it took them to die after the pipe was shut.so for eg. they were dead 10hrs + it took em 4hrs to died = 14hrs. and they knew what time the ship came up the harbour at from its log. so they were able to say it was in city waters. a fairly nerdy answer to a fairly nerdy question.

On another note, I was watchin S3 E3 last night. and during the gunfight at the stashhouse i noticed
    when Omars boyfriend is running back to the car with Tosha following him. Dante's firing over his shoulder without looking, and for a second it looks like he shoots tosha. because she drops just after he fires. also she was shot in the front of the head not the back. she was runnin away from barksdales people and was only facing dante at the time.
    did anyone spot that or am i going mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

when Omars boyfriend is running back to the car with Tosha following him. Dante's firing over his shoulder without looking, and for a second it looks like he shoots tosha. because she drops just after he fires. also she was shot in the front of the head not the back. she was runnin away from barksdales people and was only facing dante at the time.

No, you're not going mad. That's exactly what happened.
    That's what all the agro is about back in the safehouse afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I can't remember if they highlighted this elsewhere, but if they didn't it's even cooler because it's so subtle.
    I like the way Omar, after robbing the co-ops drug shipment asks for 20 on the dollar from Prop Joe. Prop Joe then says 30 on the dollar to Marlow, clearly seeing an opportunity to make cash himself.

On another note, I was watchin S3 E3 last night. and during the gunfight at the stashhouse i noticed

Holy crap! I never noticed that. Damn thats awesome. Cheers lad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Whats the story with the
    greeks.When ever the wire tap is engaged we see a guy in an fbi office who looks senior,who sees this on his screen and telephones to warn them?
    Does this just mean they had internal contacts or what?

Goose81 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the
    greeks.When ever the wire tap is engaged we see a guy in an fbi office who looks senior,who sees this on his screen and telephones to warn them?
    Does this just mean they had internal contacts or what?

From Wikipedia:
    Koutris is an agent in the FBI's counter-terrorism unit who feeds information on the bureau’s activity to The Greek. He is responsible for telling the Greek about an investigation by Baltimore police and the local FBI, and gives The Greek warning enough to temporarily shut down his smuggling operation. He is rewarded with information on a large shipment of drugs that he seizes on the FBI’s behalf. Koutris is also responsible for telling The Greek that his contact in the Baltimore port, Frank Sobotka, has agreed to give evidence against him. This information leads to Sobotka’s death. FBI Agent Fitzhugh realizes Koutris is a leak, but is unable to do anything because Koutris is well-regarded because of the drug arrest. It is implied (and has subsequently been confirmed by creator David Simon) that Koutris is protecting The Greek as a confidential informant for information about potential acts of terrorism; rather than being "corrupt" per se, Koutris is actually following standard FBI policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Levy and Herc, Season 5
    Been thinking about this since watching season 5 again; was Levy aware that Herc had supplied Carver with Marlo's number?

Levy is seen discussing a possible leak with Marlo in the holding cells - should he not have figured that it was Herc? If Levy, as he later said, stood to profit more in pre-trial charges from a wiretap case, why would he not pass the number to Herc to give to the cops in the first place?

Seems strange that he wouldn't put two and two together - or was he aware and just playing along?

From the later conversation between Herc and himself, it is implied that he did know and that he gave it to him for that very reason.

With regards the Greek, did the writers explain
    why at the end of S2when they escape, he says he is never coming back but in S5 not only is back but reveals himself to Marlo shortly after meeting him where as he was very cautious in S2
    Did I miss something. Is it a case of dumbing him down like they did with
    Stringer in S3

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

In Season 3 think around episode 3 or 4, at
    Ray Coles wake, Jay landsman places something in Rays suit-pocket while the body is on the table.
    As you can see at 3:20 on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVznnoptsmM - Now I've not watched it in a year or two, so maybe I missed something from earlier in that episode or season, which Ill check out my self when I get a chance to, but does anyone who has watched it recently know what it was??

Advertisement