Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Student mobile broadband deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

ggmad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this works well with the Huawei 4G E3272 Stick?

That is the exact stick they offer with the deal for free if you go with the 6 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Well yes it should work with it as you can sign up to the plan with this device, but I'm asking for peoples experience in using this device with the 4G meteor plan

like all things wireless it depends on coverage, signal strength and quality. By its nature a dongle means you are more likely to have it plugged directly into your laptop and use it in different locations. If this is the case performance between two location, even at the same address, can be radically different.
    You are more likely to put a router option in the place with best signal and leave it there. Dedicated routers also tend to have better speeds.

This dongle can however be be used with some routers to share the connection.

Have a look in the Midband forum for more specific info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Meteor: Adam

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a quick post here.

As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers. Here's a link to our website where you can see the plans we have to choose from. As one of the users posted here you have the choice of either a SIM-only plan (30 day contract, no device provided) or a 6 month contract with a free device. The link will go into more detail in terms of data allowances and available devices.

CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link. Just bear in mind that you'll need your student ID handy.

A couple of other queries I noticed here, answered:

This is a MBB offer only guys, this SIM will not work in your phone. Same goes for a MBB SIM, you won't be able to use it in a phone.

Yes, you certainly can use your mobile internet to tether on other devices (providing your phone is capable of course). Just be sure to check your balance regularly so you don't go over your allowance - Text Balance data to 50104.

@RobbingBandit - I'm not entirely sure about signing up if you've deferred/deffering a year. I'll chase that up here and get back to you as soon as I've an update.

@colmtheperson - Did you manage to get an answer? If not drop me a PM and I'll check that out for you.

Have a great weekend everyone! :D

-Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I wonder how the network will know whether it's a phone or a modem is the simcard in? It won't! MBB sim works in the phone but only for data no voice enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks for the reply on my query, as I am now unable to log into the University database I am unsure I would qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks for the reply on my query, as I am now unable to log into the University database I am unsure I would qualify.

If you have a student I'd you can go in-store and get one. Got one myself the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Amlee

Hi would this be good for household broadband ? Two phones ipad and laptop connected to the router? Basic browsing and maybe watch a few things online 3 player etc thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Amlee wrote: »
    Hi would this be good for household broadband ? Two phones ipad and laptop connected to the router? Basic browsing and maybe watch a few things online 3 player etc thanks

If you can get 4g reception it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

When you say graduates, is there a limit as to how far back one graduated? I am a NUIG graduate if that makes any difference.

CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link. Just bear in mind that you'll need your student ID handy.

-Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

leftfooter wrote: »
    When you say graduates, is there a limit as to how far back one graduated? I am a NUIG graduate if that makes any difference.

reading the terms you need a student card from 2013/14 or 14/15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

doc11 wrote: »
    reading the terms you need a student card from 2013/14 or 14/15
    I have not read the T&Cs, but maybe what you said just applies to current students? I thought that graduates (among others) were also eligible. :confused:

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I have not read the T&Cs, but maybe what you said just applies to current students? I thought that graduates (among others) were also eligible. :confused:

2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students.

2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students or perhaps they mean post grad students.

Price Plan Rules
    Eligibility: To be eligible for the HEAnet Broadband Price Plan you must
    be a full or part time student (undergraduate, post graduate and research student) in a HEAnet client institution, or,
    a full or part time staff member in a HEAnet clients institution, and
    be over 18 years of age.
    The HEAnet client institutions are published on . All eligible customers must show student or staff ID for either the 2013/2014 or 2014/2015 academic year. Existing Meteor Broadband customers must complete their existing contract term to avail of the HEAnet Price Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

doc11 wrote: »
    2013/14 would be classed as graduates and 14/15 as current students.
    A Meteor rep said above that:

"CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link."

Edit: Also said: "As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers."

Why include just 'secondary level school teachers' and not other graduates, I wonder?

There must be some business reason, but I can't see it.

If you have a product - maximise the customer base.

Not your ornery onager

That isn't though what they're trying to do here? The offer would be open to anyone if they wanted to maximise the customer base?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

A Meteor rep said above that:

"CAO applicants, current students, staff and graduates can avail of the offers through the above link."

Edit: Also said: "As you know our new student offer provides exclusive Mobile Broadband (MBB) and SIM Only offers to 3rd level students and staff, as well as secondary level school teachers."

Why include just 'secondary level school teachers' and not other graduates, I wonder?

There must be some business reason, but I can't see it.

The HEA are ultimately behind this offer, they are probably subsidising its cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I am an existing sim only 30 day contract and I contacted Meteor and it is not available to existing customers.:(

dingding wrote: »
    I am an existing sim only 30 day contract and I contacted Meteor and it is not available to existing customers.:(

Have you read the last two posts in this thread?

I meet the other qualifying terms of the offer. I have a login for a third level institution and I can authenticate myself for the offer.

I meet the other qualifying terms of the offer. I have a login for a third level institution and I can authenticate myself for the offer.

Have you tried signing up? After using the authenticate process I used it to sign up under someone else's name who had an existing contract and it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is this any use? In Dublin, sick of paying upc 44 quid for a sh1t service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wouldn't have a patch on UPC I would think...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Fieldog wrote: »

Probably depends on the area but Im getting a download speed of 40 mb and upload of 10 mb. Not bad for €20 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ggmad

I've found it works well in Glasnevin, but not so good in Knocklyon/Templeogue, so it depends where you are really

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Fieldog wrote: »
    I've found it works well in Glasnevin, but not so good in Knocklyon/Templeogue, so it depends where you are really

I'm in Glasnevin as it happens. My UPC drops constantly, could be my wifi but they have me on some historic box of theirs and want me to sign a new contract.

I can tether off my phone too, so maybe this will do the job as backup/for guests when I am not home.

Have you tried signing up? After using the authenticate process I used it to sign up under someone else's name who had an existing contract and it worked fine.

I want to keep my existing number and I can only transfer the number from another provider or a pre-pay sim.

I might try to ring them to see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

I want to keep my existing number and I can only transfer the number from another provider or a pre-pay sim.

I might try to ring them to see what I can do.

This is a mobile broadband offer. Why would you want or is it even possible keep an existing mobile broadband number?

They have a 20 euro per month phone offer as well. That was the one I was looking for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

My mobile internet only gets E where i am lcoated, so i guess it would be really slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Does anyone know if you can get this in store?

Advertisement