Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Mobile Banking - Root Access

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

had a root access request from the BOI mobile banking app.
    has anyone had this before? i didnt check the logs in time (and dont have pro SU anyway) so cant see what the request was really about.

any ideas on this? its installed from the market

RzB3L.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Possibly checking if device is rooted. If root is detected then it may refuse to run as the device is compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This issue was raised on the talk to BOI forum. linky

BOI are aware of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

srsly78 wrote: »
    Possibly checking if device is rooted. If root is detected then it may refuse to run as the device is compromised.

not sure if thats it, i denied the app root access and it continues to work just fine.
    it wouldnt make much sense if it was that easy to circumvent its root detection

This issue was raised on the talk to BOI forum. linky

BOI are aware of the problem.

cheers for that, would be great if boards was searchable again one day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

subway wrote: »
    not sure if thats it, i denied the app root access and it continues to work just fine.

As to be expected, as if you denied it access, then as far as its concerned, the device is not rooted as it wasn't able to switch to the root user when it tried. There is no other reason why it should think the device is rooted if you manually blocked it.
    it wouldnt make much sense if it was that easy to circumvent its root detection

You most likely used Superuser to deny it root access?. You can be rooted without having Superuser to provide some control on what apps can actually "su" (switch user). This can be a dangerous scenario however. Its a free for all for apps.

• Advertisement

As to be expected, as if you denied it access, then as far as its concerned, the device is not rooted as it wasn't able to switch to the root user when it tried. There is no other reason why it should think the device is rooted if you manually blocked it.

You most likely used Superuser to deny it root access?. You can be rooted without having Superuser to provide some control on what apps can actually "su" (switch user). This can be a dangerous scenario however. Its a free for all for apps.

there are other ways to check for root, ones that actually work...

there are other ways to check for root, ones that actually work...

Such as?

Checking for the presence of binaries on the file system doesn't necessary mean an app can switch to root user. Also BOI's method works. You just used an app called Superuser or similar to block it. Which is the idea of Superuser in the first place.

In my opinion, the most reliable way to see if a device is rooted, is if an app tried to switch to root user. If they get root access, then they are rooted. If they don't, then they don't. If its blocked, they app will just think they don't have root access, but really it just means the user has an app to protect what gets root access or not.

you are getting it backwards though, in the scenario you describe, the BOI app doesnt want root access, it wants to check for it in case other apps have it. its about as useful as a note saying "dont install this if you are rooted"

i dont know about the tech behind the methods as i am not technical enough, but they are out there.
    the app i am familiar with actualr root checks from is good for enterprise.

The reason it would check for root access, is if it "gets" root access. Then it can assume other apps can get root access. For whatever reason, only their code can tell..

Here is what that BOI app is doing: Note the de-compilation is not necessary 100% syntax correct code!
    public M_DataManagement(Context paramContext, WebView paramWebView)
      {
    truncated
        if (isDeviceRooted())
        {
          M_Utils.Log_Warning("M_DataManagement", "Device appears to be rooted.");
          setsecure("0", "Integrity");
          String str2 = getInputMethod();
          setsecure(str2, "InputMethod");
          M_Utils.Log_Debug("M_DataManagement", "Input method: " + str2);
          if (!isInputMethodCustom())
            break label249;
          M_Utils.Log_Warning("M_DataManagement", "The input method is custom.");
          setsecure("1", "CustomInputMethod");
        }
        while (true)
        {
          return;
          M_Utils.Log_Debug("M_DataManagement", "Device appears to be not rooted.");
          setsecure("1", "Integrity");
          break;
          label249: M_Utils.Log_Debug("M_DataManagement", "The input method is system.");
          setsecure("0", "CustomInputMethod");
        }
      }

private boolean isDeviceRooted()
      {
        int i = 0;
        while (true)
        {
          try
          {
            String str = (String)System.getenv().get("PATH");
            if (str != null)
              continue;
            M_Utils.Log_Error("M_DataManagement", "System path is null");
            break label179;
            String[] arrayOfString = str.split(":");
            if (arrayOfString.length != 0)
              break label181;
            M_Utils.Log_Error("M_DataManagement", "System path is empty");
            break label181;
            if (j >= arrayOfString.length)
              continue;
            boolean bool = new File(arrayOfString[j] + "/su").exists();
            if (!bool)
              continue;
            try
            {
              Runtime.getRuntime().exec("su").destroy();
              i = 1;
            }
            catch (Exception localException2)
            {
            }
            j++;
            continue;
          }
          catch (Exception localException1)
          {
            M_Utils.Log_Error("M_DataManagement", "Exception while detecting device integrity: " + localException1.getClass().toString() + " - " + localException1.getMessage());
            M_Utils.Log_Warning("M_DataManagement", "Cannot detect the device integrity");
          }
          label179: return i;
          label181: int j = 0;
        }
      }

private boolean isInputMethodCustom()
      {
        int i = 0;
        List localList = ((InputMethodManager)this.mCtx.getSystemService("input_method")).getEnabledInputMethodList();
        int j = localList.size();
        String str = Settings.Secure.getString(this.mCtx.getContentResolver(), "default_input_method");
        int k = 0;
        if (k < j)
        {
          InputMethodInfo localInputMethodInfo = (InputMethodInfo)localList.get(k);
          if (localInputMethodInfo.getId().equals(str))
            if ((0x1 & localInputMethodInfo.getServiceInfo().applicationInfo.flags) == 0)
              i = 1;
        }
        while (true)
        {
          return i;
          k++;
          break;
          M_Utils.Log_Error("M_DataManagement", "Default input method cannot be found: " + str);
        }
      }

To me it looks like its trying to switch to root, if it can, then gets a list of all input methods. See's which ones are custom (most likely, ones not standard with the OS). If its custom, sets some security parameters. Possibly to flag potential key logger, or to restrict/disable some features? I dunno.. I haven't dug any deeper.

nice one, that's actually quite interesting.

it makes sense (in a way) as the app checks for non-stock keyboard applications, but i dont think it would need root for this (does it?)

to me, then, based on your description, it seems the app is asking for root so that it can check for non-standard keyboards?

it still, to me, doesnt make sense for the app to check root priveleges simply by asking for them. also, it doesnt do anything differently whether it has them or not (just tested now)

• Advertisement

No no, it only checks for non standard input methods, if it was able to get root access. It doesn't need root access to perform this check, it only does this check if it was able to gain root access.

Possibly they were trying some malware/key logger blocking attempt.

They store the security parameters in the "SharedPreferences" for their app.
    public void setsecure(String paramString1, String paramString2)
      {
        SharedPreferences.Editor localEditor = secureStore.edit();
        if ((paramString2 != null) && (!paramString2.equals("")))
        {
          if ((paramString1 != null) && (!paramString1.equals("")))
            break label63;
          localEditor.remove(paramString2);
        }
        while (true)
        {
          if (!localEditor.commit())
            M_Utils.Log_Error("M_DataManagement", "Data storage failed.");
          return;
          label63: localEditor.putString(paramString2, paramString1);
        }
      }

However I cannot see it been accessed anywhere else in the app.

There is another part where they just check the input method again, without checking for root, or without reading/writing from/to the SharedPreferences:
    public void checkForCustomInputMethods(Vector<String> paramVector, Hashtable<String, String> paramHashtable)
      {
        M_Utils.Log_Debug("UIControls", "Checking if user is using a custom keyboard...");
        List localList = ((InputMethodManager)this.mCtx.getSystemService("input_method")).getEnabledInputMethodList();
        int i = localList.size();
        for (int j = 0; ; j++)
        {
          if (j < i)
          {
            InputMethodInfo localInputMethodInfo = (InputMethodInfo)localList.get(j);
            if ((!localInputMethodInfo.getId().equals(Settings.Secure.getString(this.mCtx.getContentResolver(), "default_input_method"))) || ((0x1 & localInputMethodInfo.getServiceInfo().applicationInfo.flags) != 0))
              continue;
            AlertDialog localAlertDialog = new AlertDialog.Builder(this.mCtx).create();
            M_DataManagement localM_DataManagement = new M_DataManagement(this.mCtx, null);
            localAlertDialog.setTitle(localM_DataManagement.getPrompt("Error", "warning_general_heading"));
            localAlertDialog.setMessage(localM_DataManagement.getPrompt("Error", "errNonSystemKeyboard"));
            localAlertDialog.setButton(localM_DataManagement.getPrompt("General", "btnOK"), new DialogInterface.OnClickListener(localAlertDialog)
            {
              public void onClick(DialogInterface paramDialogInterface, int paramInt)
              {
                this.val$alertDialog.hide();
              }
            });
            localAlertDialog.show();
          }
          return;
        }
      }

Which looks to popup a warning dialog. I guess a default input method is any keyboard you have set as default, be it one you downloaded or one that came with the phone, and a non standard one is something else?? malware overlay, or I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's a bit annoying, I brought up the root access thing in the thread, for me the only way to get their app working is to switch to the default keyboard first (I'm trying out SlideIT at the moment as Swypes little bugs started to annoy me too), otherwise it freezes the app and you have to reboot or clear memory.
    I read in that thread they're working on it though.

Advertisement