Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Andriod App available to download today

Options
  • 01-06-2012 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

We are delighted to announce that our mobile banking app is now available for Android users.

The Android app, which is available to those running Android 2.2 and above, features the following online services:

- View balances and review transaction history
    This includes Current, Demand Deposit, Term Loan and Credit Card accounts and the facility to make transfers between accounts.
    - Pay Bills and Transfer Money
    Transfer money to the payees and bills registered on 365 online profiles.
    - ATM/branch locator
    An ATM and branch locator that maps the nearest Bank of Ireland ATM and branch and the facility to search by current location, town, street or branch name.

As always, we're very happy to hear from you about your mobile app experiences. If you have any comments or questions, let us know.

Thanks
    Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Great news! So glad its not a crappy iPhone port.

But could you maybe look into removing the regional restriction on downloads?

Google Play isn't like iTunes. It doesn't use where your account was created to determine if you can download something or not: it uses the currently inserted SIM card. So if you've got a non-Irish SIM in (or whatever regions you've allowed for the app) you can't download it, even if you're in Ireland.

Right now I'm not in Ireland, so to download it had to go rooting around for my Meteor SIM, which doesn't even work here.

Here's a link for anyone who can't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi who is this,

I understand your issue regarding downloading the app. The app is only available in Ireland and the UK currently. I will pass on your suggestion.

At the moment if you are outside these countries you can download the app by getting your Irish sim and try connecting to the Google Play store through WiFi. If you download the app in this way, we would advise you to connect this way periodically to ensure you stay up to date with the latest releases.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Downloaded & installed.
    I way prefer this to the iPhone version. Looks and feels better
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KoolKid wrote: »
    Downloaded & installed.
    I way prefer this to the iPhone version. Looks and feels better
    Thanks

+1

The cursor automatically jumps to the next field when inputting the three digits from your PIN so it's easier and quicker to login with the Android app.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

coylemj wrote: »
    +1

The cursor automatically jumps to the next field when inputting the three digits from your PIN so it's easier and quicker to login with the Android app.

That's so annoying on the iPhone/iPad app . Surly an easy fix as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KoolKid wrote: »
    That's so annoying on the iPhone/iPad app . Surly an easy fix as well.

It happened on the original PC web browser app as well, you had to tab forward after typing each number, the same way as you have to click on 'Next' to advance on the iOS app now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Excellent app.been waiting ages for it so thanks.

Only bug so far is on my desire hd when in transfer and select account from and account to then select amount, when the keypad comes on screen to enter amount it blocks most of the continue button making it very difficult to press and continue. If could fix that would definitely be 5 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

The app is quality, however it would be great if you could buy mobile phone credit with it.

big dan wrote: »
    The app is quality, however it would be great if you could buy mobile phone credit with it.

+1 Very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Good app
    Needs a few tweaks I think

Needs to have a log out button so you don't need to go to menu -> logout

Need to be able to switch between Business and Personal accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

I must say the app has been worth the wait, a few more features would be great but happy out so far.

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions regarding the Android app. I will pass on all your feedback and hopefully we can include some of your suggestions in the next release.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Looks excellent!

I just did a transfer on it there and it was very easy to use (possibly even a better experience than the website!)

One thing, after i did a transfer an ad popped up ("Looking for a Deposit Account"), the quality of that text is poor on my phone, it looks like it is an image of text rather than rendering text.

My Phone is an Sony Xperia Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

I tried out the app on my phone and it looks a little broken to me.
    The first login page and the pin enter page look to be missing a background image. I've attached screen shots of how they look on my phone. Anyone else have this happen to them?
    (My phone is a stock Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4)

Hi tooth*grinder,

Thank you for bringing that issue to our attention, I have passed it on to our mobile team, if I hear anything back regarding it I will get back to you asap.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi witnessmenow,
    One thing, after i did a transfer an ad popped up ("Looking for a Deposit Account"), the quality of that text is poor on my phone, it looks like it is an image of text rather than rendering text.

We are aware of issues regarding the ads display on some handsets, thank you for bringing it to our attention and we will look into the issues raised.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just installed, app asked for root access!? :confused:

This is the one I installed, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bankofireland.mobilebanking

Anyone know why it asked for root? Could it be my Swype keyboard? It popped up some message about not being the system keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Just installed, app asked for root access!? :confused:

This is the one I installed, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bankofireland.mobilebanking

Anyone know why it asked for root? Could it be my Swype keyboard? It popped up some message about not being the system keyboard...

I got a warning about my keyboard not being the system keyboard (I use SwiftKey X) but it never asked for root access. The keyboard thing I understand as it is a third party tool that loggs keystrokes but the root access request I don't have an answer for. I haven't rooted the phone - its a Three branded HTC Desire HD - and I've never had a request for root access from any app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Good work to the team on this.

Been waiting to see what this would be like. Very happy on first look. I like the ATM locator. Its just nice and easy to use. Have been getting sick of going to the full site to check banking on my phone when on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The permissions shouldn't be requesting root ?
    Permissions
    This application has access to the following:

* Your location
    coarse (network-based) location
    Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate tablet location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are. Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate phone location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.
    fine (GPS) location
    Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the tablet, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power. Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the phone, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.
    * Network communication
    full Internet access
    Allows the app to create network sockets.

Show allHide

* Your location
    access extra location provider commands
    Allows the app to access extra location provider commands. Malicious apps may use this to interfere with the operation of the GPS or other location sources.
    * Network communication
    view network state
    Allows the app to view the state of all networks.
    view Wi-Fi state
    Allows the app to view the information about the state of Wi-Fi.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I have passed on the details to our mobile banking team.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

Great App. Worth the wait. Great work done here by the BOI team.

Whatever the problem with the app asking for root access or the keyboard error it has fudged the BOI app for me now, it gets stuck on the loading screen and I have to close it.
    I've tried switching back to the default keyboard but no luck.
    I'm using SuperSU by Chainfire if anyone has that, would love to know if anyone else got this problem.

Update: I've tried switching back to the default keyboard and restarted the phone and it's not getting stuck and I was able to login.
    So maybe it's the Swype beta I have installed.

Linda: That might be worth mentioning to the dev guys, I don't see how you could control it however, maybe a warning on the Play Store page? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi everyone,

We're still looking into some of the issues raised. I'd just like to request some additional information please:
    My Phone is an Sony Xperia Ray
    delos wrote: »
    its a Three branded HTC Desire HD
    Just installed, app asked for root access!?

Can you let me know what version of the operating system you're using on your phones? Also, BopNiblets, can you confirm the make and model of your phone please?

Thanks,
    Graham

Just installed, app asked for root access!?

Can you let me know what version of the operating system you're using on your phones? Also, BopNiblets, can you confirm the make and model of your phone please?

Thanks,
    Graham
    Hi Graham, I'm using a rooted custom ROM, Pure ICS, Android 4.0.3 on the Samsung Galaxy S2.
    I believe my issue is with the beta Swype keyboard, but I've found a workaround to get the BOI app working.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Hi everyone,

We're still looking into some of the issues raised. I'd just like to request some additional information please:

Thanks,
    Graham
    I'm running Android 2.3.5 and the keboard software is SwiftKey X version 2.2.0.159. The keyboard warning doesn't really bother me at all. Other than that the app runs without a hitch - as I don't do phone top ups it has vitrually replaced the website for me.

One thing I'd suggest is allowing the user to configure if the user ID is asked for or not after the initial use of the app. Some may want the additional layer of security and some (like me) might have a tendency to forget the number if they don't use it. This would probably have to be optional as I'm sure most people are glad not to have to enter the number every time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

i like the website because it shows balance at each transaction period also. whereas with this it just shows transaction numbers.
    either way nice app to have handy on a phone so ncie work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Graham, I'm using a rooted custom ROM, Pure ICS, Android 4.0.3 on the Samsung Galaxy S2.
    I believe my issue is with the beta Swype keyboard, but I've found a workaround to get the BOI app working.
    delos wrote: »
    I'm running Android 2.3.5 and the keboard software is SwiftKey X version 2.2.0.159. The keyboard warning doesn't really bother me at all. Other than that the app runs without a hitch - as I don't do phone top ups it has vitrually replaced the website for me.

One thing I'd suggest is allowing the user to configure if the user ID is asked for or not after the initial use of the app. Some may want the additional layer of security and some (like me) might have a tendency to forget the number if they don't use it. This would probably have to be optional as I'm sure most people are glad not to have to enter the number every time

Hi BopNiblets and delos,

Thanks for replying so quickly. We'll let you know of any update on these issues once we have one.
    kenyard wrote: »
    i like the website because it shows balance at each transaction period also. whereas with this it just shows transaction numbers.
    either way nice app to have handy on a phone so ncie work

Hi kenyard,

Thanks also for your much appreciated feedback,
    Graham

Hi witnessmenow,

Our mobile banking team were wondering if you could provide a bit more information regarding the issue to make sure it doesn't occur again. I understand if it is not possible to provide this information.

- Do you have any screen shots you could provide?
    - Is it only the specified ad that this issue appeared?
    - Was the issue with the text due to display resolution or is it poor quality of message?

Thank you to everyone that has brought any issues and positive comments to our attention.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I like the app, well done BOI.

One question, when I attaempt to login, it never asks for my user id.
    Is there something in the setup where this is automatically saved?

It will ask for either dob or last 4 digits of phone number and the usual 3 digits from personal id.
    If I log on using a laptop it always asks for user id.

Thanks.

Advertisement