Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can shoes cause stomping/sound/noise on treadmill?

• 10-03-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, was wondering could wrong shoes be reason for stomp and loud bang noises when landing feet on treadmill?

I've been using just normal runners from penneys which I had lying around, they were like 5 euro and it's basically piece of fabric and thin layer of rubber on sole. Walking in them feels like walking on concrete bare feet, also it gets painful after a while.

I was thinking of getting something like these:
    http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/restofworld/running-footwear/mens-flex-show-tr-3/invt/11001513

but not sure if that's gonna fix my problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I could be mistaken, but I would put loud stomping noises on a treadmill down to bad running technique instead of the type of footwear used.

When your foot lands, is it the heel first? Try running differently so that the ball of your foot both lands first and pushes your foot off. If you are constantly hitting the treadmill (or road) with your heel, you could end up with pains further up the leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I could be mistaken, but I would put loud stomping noises on a treadmill down to bad running technique instead of the type of footwear used.

When your foot lands, is it the heel first? Try running differently so that the ball of your foot both lands first and pushes your foot off. If you are constantly hitting the treadmill (or road) with your heel, you could end up with pains further up the leg

yeah it's heel first always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Heel first is bad, especially in shoes with no shock absorption. By landing on the heel, your shin bones will be absorbing the impact. By landing on the ball of your foot, a combination of your calf muscle and achilles will absorb the impact.

Your calf muscle will hurt like hell the first few times, but will get stronger over time. Muscle repairs faster than bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sounds like you're trying to take too long a stride and you're heel is hammering down on the treadmill. Shorten your stride so your foot is making contact pretty much under you rather than out ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, was wondering could wrong shoes be reason for stomp and loud bang noises when landing feet on treadmill?

I've been using just normal runners from penneys which I had lying around, they were like 5 euro and it's basically piece of fabric and thin layer of rubber on sole. Walking in them feels like walking on concrete bare feet, also it gets painful after a while.

I was thinking of getting something like these:
    http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/restofworld/running-footwear/mens-flex-show-tr-3/invt/11001513

but not sure if that's gonna fix my problem?

For god's sake man, get yourself a decent pair of runners! Your back and knees will thank you for it. Penneys should be banned from selling shoes IMO.

• Advertisement

Penneys should be banned from selling shoes IMO.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Okay, I ended up getting those shoes today and trying them in gym.

Yes I noticed shorted strides don't make a noise, however - I also noticed it could be not only my fault for such sound but also crappy equipment, in gym there is two types of treadmills, one which is as high as pelvis, and another (older model) as high as your neck pretty much, and I use old model, and noise is coming from control panel like it's vibrating so it could be crappy old model fault too, but yeah I understood I need to try to place my feet flat on surface when landing, and I am gonna try switching to shorter strides and slower speed to avoid falling (usually I go 11 km/h)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Why?

Because a €5-€10 pair of shoes does not give you the proper support you need to avoid back, knee, foot, etc injuries

Because a €5-€10 pair of shoes does not give you the proper support you need to avoid back, knee, foot, etc injuries

So are minimalist runners bad for running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They sound like a pair of casual flats for walking about. I doubt they were sold as shoes for running.
    You are jumping to a ridiculous conclusion there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So are minimalist runners bad for running?

Lots of argument for and against minimalism.

TBH most of the issues with shoes or lack of shoes is dependent on the individual and their own physical makeup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/09/us-running-shoes-injury-idUSBREA081CS20140109

AKW wrote: »
    Lots of argument for and against minimalism.

TBH most of the issues with shoes or lack of shoes is dependent on the individual and their own physical makeup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/09/us-running-shoes-injury-idUSBREA081CS20140109

My point was just that the absence of a big cushioned sole doesn't mean you'll be injured. I don't run in minimalist runners but minimalist soles work for a lot of people.

Advertisement