Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections '12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Just banned HavingCrack, kkdela6, BX_19 & Sierra Oscar for not posting here.

In other news, I'm altering the deal. Ban is now 1 hour after offending post, as we're a week out from election.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Is wooly actually serious about running? Just read his interviews for the observer and the tribune, he doesn't really seem to know much about the position. Observer even says he might have run for gender equality "on a dare".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

reno123 wrote: »
    Dunno where the Heffo thing came from, he signed up in 1st year but hasn't been a member since!?

In the same way Gary Redmond claimed he left the KBC, I assume?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

In the same way Gary Redmond claimed he left the KBC, I assume?!

Do you honestly believe Heffo is involved in KBC on the basis he went on a discounted trip in 1st year? In my first year i signed up for numerous societies for their privileges, trips, pizza but wouldn't consider myself affiliated with any of them now!?

Do you honestly believe Heffo is involved in KBC on the basis he went on a discounted trip in 1st year? In my first year i signed up for numerous societies for their privileges, trips, pizza but wouldn't consider myself affiliated with any of them now!?

I would argue, and correctly at that, that there is a difference between joining and arbitrary society (jazz soc, let's say) and joining the youth wing of a political party. If he had joined Ógra Sinn Féin, one wonders would you be so willing to forget?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

I would argue, and correctly at that, that there is a difference between joining and arbitrary society (jazz soc, let's say) and joining the youth wing of a political party. If he had joined Ógra Sinn Féin, one wonders would you be so willing to forget?!

I've no affiliation to any party so if it was Fianna Fail, Labour, Ógra Sinn Féin or The People Before Profit Alliance, It wouldn't make the tiniest bit of difference!?

I've no affiliation to any party so if it was Fianna Fail, Labour, Ógra Sinn Féin or The People Before Profit Alliance, It wouldn't make the tiniest bit of difference!?

But he clearly does! He joined KBC, is now running for a political office and I notice that his KBC colleague Paddy Guiney's Sports Page has a link to "Heffo For UCD Ents" on it!

Seeing as you defended Heffo by referring to yourself, would you join Ógra (!) DUP if they offered you an affordable trip abroad?! Come on fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It always amuses me when they say they joined KBC for a trip 'abroad', never quite willing to say where they went.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Fad wrote: »
    It always amuses me when they say they joined KBC for a trip 'abroad', never quite willing to say where they went.....

It's always Amsterdam isn't it :pac:

It's always Amsterdam isn't it :pac:

To see the canals I assume....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

I think the paid year off from college is a but to much of an incentive seen as a few people seem to be running again , but Sam geoghegan , I cant think of a single thing that he's done !! ( apart from stopping other people from running against him ) and he's running again ! what is he actually doing ? I also saw he said that he was looking into a texting service for canceled lectures , ie a lecture gets cancelled you get a text notifying you . but I think this is just an empty promise as I cant see this happening , its a great idea but , It just grinds my gears to see this !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah lads, heffo is about as KBC as enda kenny. He has no connection with FF hes never been to their youth conference or anything. Sam, paddy and james all have much stronger KBC connections, but james completely and intentionally got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ah lads, heffo is about as KBC as enda kenny. He has no connection with FF hes never been to their youth conference or anything. Sam, paddy and james all have much stronger KBC connections, but james completely and intentionally got out.

How do you mean "completely and intentionally got out" ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

After nearly 3 years into UCD, I can say with confidence that whoever gets elected, no matter how wonderful people think they are, the union will never change nor will the people running it - just different faces.

I look forward to not voting. Watching the SU look elections unfold is like watching a bunch toddlers trying on adult cloths.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

After nearly 3 years into UCD, I can say with confidence that whoever gets elected, no matter how wonderful people think they are, the union will never change nor will the people running it - just different faces.

I look forward to not voting. Watching the SU look elections unfold is like watching a bunch toddlers trying on adult cloths.

I think thats a terrible attitude to have. How can you possibly know that one of next years sabbats isn't going to revolutionise the Union. If you don't like the candidates then vote RON. But I suppose its easy to sit there on your high horse and critique the people actually willing to put themselves out there and try and change UCD.

Did he join YFG and whatever the Labour Party one is called as well? I can't believe that anyone would believe that he hadn't explicitly made his KBC bed

I doubt he has much of a connection now (if any!), but thinking back to sabbat elections in '10 and USI hustings in the same year, I think he was a little bit more KBC than most members....

Sam is very much a member (Or at least was mad into it), dont know about Guiney, he admitted to being a member at one point and said he's friends with some of the lads in it, that's all I have to go on, I dont know the guy well.

Dont know about James (dont care hugely either), but as far as I'm aware he had some involvement in YFG, C&E Iron Stomach photos from Freshers' Week '10 have disappeared, but I seem to remember him representing YFG in that.... I could well be wrong, might well just be an identical twin......

Heard Sheerin was a Billie Barrie kid once upon a time*.... That's about as interesting as her back story gets.

*111th hand info at this stage.....Could be a total lie, either way, lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost sure that Paddy Guiney was on the committee for KBC a year or two back, and if that's true, that's pretty heavy involvement. He'd definitely more than casually involved at any rate, I've seen him helping out on their Freshers tent stand on more than a few occasions.

I think thats a terrible attitude to have. How can you possibly know that one of next years sabbats isn't going to revolutionise the Union. If you don't like the candidates then vote RON. But I suppose its easy to sit there on your high horse and critique the people actually willing to put themselves out there and try and change UCD.

:pac:

Sorry, heard it all before.

The only candidate who'd "revolutionise" UCDSU is the candidate who'd try and make union membership and the union fee voluntary on registration. That way, the sabbats would be forced to do something convincing and productive to encourage students to join. I don't see why I should be represented by or be a member of a union that I don't feel represents me. Why should the UCDSU have a monopoly on the views of students in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

SU elections make me wish that UCD was a dictatorship -_-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 frankiesayrelax

Guys, both James and Paddy were both involved in the KBC. James did the Iron Stomach wearing an Ógra Fianna Fáil t-shirt. Paddy and James were on the trip to Brussels and Amsterdam a few years back and were both on the committee. However, James left because he fell out with Fianna Fáil and didn't believe in them anymore. Paddy left because he fell out with the committee.

They are both still friends with members of the KBC but Paddy is still associated with FF I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What does KBC mean?

AdamD wrote: »
    What does KBC mean?

Kevin Barry Cumann.

It's Ógra Fianna Fáil society in UCD. They have a long history of being involved in UCDSU (Not necessarily a good thing, but meh, s'long story, someone else is welcome to explain...).

Also, frankiesayrelax, thanks for clearing that up! You'd have to be pretty knee deep in a soc to get roped into doing Iron Stomach for them...

AdamD wrote: »
    What does KBC mean?

It's the UCD version of the Yale Skull & Bones Society.

It's the UCD version of the Yale Skull & Bones Society.

Ah here, as much as I enjoy KBC conspiracy theories, that implies some sort of grandiose...

I'm sure that's how they view themselves though....

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

According to the Observer, Karl Gill has stated that he would step down from the C&C job on principle if the student body opted to drop the 'Stop Fees' campaign. In essence, he's saying, "I'll promote the views of UCD students, provided I agree entirely with them on a personal level." Is he completely oblivious to the economic reality facing the country?

According to the Observer, Karl Gill has stated that he would step down from the C&C job on principle if the student body opted to drop the 'Stop Fees' campaign. In essence, he's saying, "I'll promote the views of UCD students, provided I agree entirely with them on a personal level." Is he completely oblivious to the economic reality facing the country?

He's a member of the looney left. He doesn't care about economics, as long as he gets his name out there. Hence, he'll spend SU money trying to get two members of staff, who provide a redundant service, reinstated into the exact position they lost, instead of trying to see if they could be moved to another job within the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

So presumably if he were to abdicate his position sometime next year (or sooner), there would need to be a re-election to fill the position, or else the post would have to be absorbed by other sabats? Surely that wasted cash would be better spend elsewhere and he would be better remaining out of the SU and loudly protesting the fees with his ULA buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jazzmatazz90

• Advertisement

Any Tribheads know when the final video will be up?

Advertisement