Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB Smart Metering

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Heroditas wrote: »
    What exactly would you like to know?
    The ESB have had to outsource a lot of the installation work. The grunts doing the installation wouldn't know the finer ins and outs of the project because there is still a lot of the finer details to be decided.
    The meter will now gather data for the next few months before the customer behavious trial officially commences - this will act as the benchmark data collection period.
    You're not being kept in the dark.

Why do they need to outsource "a lot of the installation work?" A not inconsiderable part of the cost of government agencies is their tendency to outsource to the private sector work they are being well paid and well staffed to do themselves. The ESB is heavily staffed relative to the scale of their operations.

Retraining and redeployment of people rather than running up big outsourcing bills. (Or using outsourcing bills as an excuse for delaying the installation of smart meters)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

probe wrote: »
    Why do they need to outsource "a lot of the installation work?" A not inconsiderable part of the cost of government agencies is their tendency to outsource to the private sector work they are being well paid and well staffed to do themselves. The ESB is heavily staffed relative to the scale of their operations.

Retraining and redeployment of people rather than running up big outsourcing bills. (Or using outsourcing bills as an excuse for delaying the installation of smart meters)!

Apologies, Networks are in the process of training additional technicians to carry out the work.
    It's still going to be a very labour intensive project when you consider all the additional day to day work they also have to carry out. Hence why they might need to outsource part of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

The trial of smart meters is randomised, and for that reason, participants are not invited to self-select.

The only exception is if you are a micro-generator (your own turbine or solar PVs with an EN50438 compliant inverter) where priority is being given to those selling electricity to the grid from their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pkmwgs

I have tried several times to get a smart meter without success. i own a compliant wind generator. we were suppose to get the first 100 meters free a couple of years ago. i was number three on the list and havent heard anything since. we were to pay for installation only. [typical esb]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DoverMan

anyone know where smart meters are currently available in Ireland i.e installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

pkmwgs wrote: »
    I have tried several times to get a smart meter without success. i own a compliant wind generator. we were suppose to get the first 100 meters free a couple of years ago. i was number three on the list and havent heard anything since. we were to pay for installation only. [typical esb]

CER announced that ESB is now to buy your power for 9c. There's more on that under this topic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

DoverMan wrote: »
    anyone know where smart meters are currently available in Ireland i.e installed
    You can only get a smart meter if chosen by esb at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

BendiBus wrote: »
    I'm definitely arsed :P

Keep us updated.

eh . . . . nothing new to report I'm afraid.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are still only being installed so it will be another while yet for anything is probably reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone know what happened with these trials ?

• Advertisement

A full national rollout is being planned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Probably happen in another six years :)

OU812 wrote: »
    Probably happen in another six years :)

Work is well underway at some levels of the programme.
    An 80% rollout must be complete by 2020.

So yes ... 6 years!

Advertisement