Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Hello, Ponster told me about your question, I hope I'm not to late to help.

On a CELTA course you have to be observed teaching for a total of 6 hours - harsh though it seems the best way to do this really is to jump in from day one or two. Otherwise it's like learning to drive from a book .. you can only really "get it" when you're in a car.

The good news is that each lesson is observed against the standard "for this stage of the course". In essence each lesson is judged against what you should know from the input sessions with your tutors not what you will know by the end of the course.

On our courses in Paris you, the trainees, are left alone with the learners for an hour on day one to get to know them a little and gauge their level, you then observe the tutors teaching for an hour. Observed teaching starts on day two. You're not going to find anywhere which delays teaching until further into the course.

Having your colleagues at the back of the room can actually create a supportive atmosphere and the tutor might also be able to step in if a learner floors you with a question.

Between you and I some centres tell little white lies too - about what happens on day one - so trainees arrive in a pro-active frame of mind. Similarly in the interview we do tend to focus on the stress / intensive aspect of the course / how much is required of you how quickly .. this is simply because some candidates do find it difficult to keep up with the workload, get stressed etc. and we have a moral obligation to tell people what they are letting themselves in for.

"I've got 2 degrees so most of the theory and class work I don't imagine I'd have a problem with."
    A word of warning if I may - don't presume. It's not necessarily a very "academic" course; there's little time for background reading for example. The written assignments are designed both to test and help you see how you apply the theory. On a daily basis most of the work will be thinking about and planning your lessons. I say this not as an insult to your intellect but simply because I have seen some people have a hard time adapt when they were expecting more "book learning" if you will.

Any more questions let me know.

EmerBaggott & Supercell I can't really say anything other than to sift through the first page or two of this thread - as far as I know the CELT is not available outside Ireland. You can find "extensive" CELTA courses but they're a lot less common than the 4-week intensive version.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hmm, thanks for the reply, a lot to think about still. I contacted them and asked for more time to think about it. I'm still no closer to making a decision unfortunately. Still got the fear which is just blocking me. I still believe I'd do better when observing or doing things on my own as it's the way I've done things most succesfully. I may have to decline, do one of the lesser, ie. rubbish (though i've heard good things about one in maynooth and know some who've gained employment and another who is now a teacher full time) ones. Do that get some experience abroad and come back and take it up another time once that fear is gone from experience. I've gone and bought most of the books too!!

there is a part time CELTA course in the place where I have applied. think its over 8-10 weeks. monday and tuesday evenings, and you'd need some days off work to observe teaching i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi, where can u do the part-time course?

international house on camden street. They are the only place that does it as far as I know and where I was sent. There is a fairly simple test on the application, then a similar one after that along with a short interview. If you email them theyll send you the info you need.

http://www.ihdublin.com/ihdublin/Main/Home.htm

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hmm, thanks for the reply, a lot to think about still. I contacted them and asked for more time to think about it. I'm still no closer to making a decision unfortunately. Still got the fear which is just blocking me. I still believe I'd do better when observing or doing things on my own as it's the way I've done things most succesfully. I may have to decline, do one of the lesser, ie. rubbish (though i've heard good things about one in maynooth and know some who've gained employment and another who is now a teacher full time) ones. Do that get some experience abroad and come back and take it up another time once that fear is gone from experience. I've gone and bought most of the books too!!
    Don't put off doing the course because of nerves, please. Personally I'd be more worried about standing up in front of a group of learners as an unqualified teacher trying to get experience than in the "safe" environment of CELTA where everyone wants you to do well. Let me reiterate that each lesson is judged in relation to where you are in the course - thus a lesson which is deemed "to standard" in week 2 might not be to standard in week 3 but your first lessons will be judged as what they are .. the first EFL lessons you've ever taught.
    As I mentioned in my first contribution to this thread I'm a CELTA tutor and I can tell you that

- you will not be the only one suffering from nerves during observations - I've seen people I've thought were going to burst a vessel so flushed were they, I've worried someone was never going to pause for breath, I've sympathised with someone who had to wear black to hide the sweat patches, somone who cried before and after every class for the first two weeks ... As tutors we are aware of the human aspect - anything said in observation feedback is never a personal attack, the aim is to show you how to improve.

- there's rarely any feeling of competition between trainees. You are judged in relation to yourself and how well you are using the techniques seen in the tutor led sessions. Not to mention that you learn a lot from seeing others try different things to a greater or lesser degree of success.

- your learners are probably getting the cheapest English lessons on the market and should be aware that you are having training which makes them more forgiving and less demanding than the average.

- some people on the course have taught before, others not. Any advantage those with experience have, usually limited to their ease in front of learners, is cancelled out by the end of the first week. OTOH they may find it difficult to shake off bad habits (some of the less successful trainees I've seen are those coming in from other teaching backgrounds and finding it hard to adapt).

- having fellow trainees in the room means that you have a friendly face who can signal to you if you've misspelt something on the board or are about to run out of time.

I forgot to mention earlier that altho' you have to be observed teaching for six hours you also have to observe qualified teachers for a total of six hours - which sounds as if it would suit your learning style.

You can't escape being observed, it is part of the job. Once you've gone through the CELTA style observation the rest is a piece of cake. Out in the real world some employers ask you to teach a sample lesson as part of the recruitment process, any decent language school should observe new teachers within a week or so of taking them on and any teacher at least once a year.

Go back to the driving analogy .. you'd rather read a book on how to drive then go out on to the roads with no guidance to get used to it before taking lessons ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

See Ye wrote: »
    "I've got 2 degrees so most of the theory and class work I don't imagine I'd have a problem with."
    A word of warning if I may - don't presume. It's not necessarily a very "academic" course; there's little time for background reading for example. The written assignments are designed both to test and help you see how you apply the theory. On a daily basis most of the work will be thinking about and planning your lessons. I say this not as an insult to your intellect but simply because I have seen some people have a hard time adapt when they were expecting more "book learning" if you will.

I am currently studying for a CELT course and could not agree more with this. I would be quite "academic" in the sense that I am quite good at writing academic papers and the rest, but this is a different challenge completely. It is a help not to be the type that blanks when you have to write stuff but this is all about practical application, and I'd say the longer it takes a person to absorb that lesson the more difficulty they will be in.

The general consensus among the group is that everyone underestimated the intensity and workload. Someone going into this needs to realise that 130 hours is close enough to the same contact time for the entire academic year that you'd have for a subject in a two-subject Arts degree. Imagine that condensed into 12 or 16 weeks or whatever, then consider that it is real personal contact time where you are required to be there, and you have observation and TP as well. And that's before you get to the written assignments.

I think that because you have these (clearly laughable) weekend courses which purport to train teachers, it is easy to get the impression that it is a handy option of a course. It is not to be underestimated, and that's coming from someone who studied English (not necessarily much of an advantage either) in university.

I'll try to take all this on board, though I'm still no closer yet. I may appear to underestimate the work load, but in my head im not I think. I'm aware that i'll not be seeing too many people too often for the next 7 weeks and I've shown similar commitment before, though as you'll point out it will be quite different.

I think the driving analogy is a good one, but for me it would be different. Ease into (the teching that is). Many people who drive for the first time won't leave their estates/road they live on and build it up until the confidence is their. Even if there was a pre course thing i could do I would.

• Advertisement

after all my indecisiveness i decided yesterday to accept the spot. I rang up, got put through to the course supervisors answering machine and got disconnected! think it was my phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭deathronan

Does anyone know if either the basic or the educator TEFL cert available from this website http://www.teflonline.com/?gclid=CImmxMXjuZkCFR4hnAodtkJO7Q is legitimate?

I am only looking to go teaching outside of the UK and Ireland, so would just the basic cert do me? I'll have a degree in mathematics come this june as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cue brute

I'm thinking of teaching english in europe next academic year - i have one years experience as an assistant teaching post grad and two years freelance teaching experience peripatetically in primary schools

i have a degree and a masters, and none of the above are english teaching experience or education qualifications

my thinking is that an online tefl course may be enough as i am in a fairly remote area

any thoughts?

many thanks

tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

cue brute wrote: »
    I'm thinking of teaching english in europe next academic year - i have one years experience as an assistant teaching post grad and two years freelance teaching experience peripatetically in primary schools

i have a degree and a masters, and none of the above are english teaching experience or education qualifications

my thinking is that an online tefl course may be enough as i am in a fairly remote area

any thoughts?

many thanks

tom

Mmm....I don't know about those online courses?!they have no actual classroom practice, but then again maybe you would be ok because you seem to have a lot of experience in the classroom!:D:D
    I'm in the middle of doing a CELT course at the moment part time, one evening a week and one day at the weekend over 10 weeks?!Its ACELS recognised which schools in Europe seem to look for!
    (Have a teaching practice this evening:eek::eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

Realistically is the CELT certificate worth it? It costs 1000euro approx. Would be interested in peoples opinions that have done the course, or plan on doing it. Is there much work in Ireland for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I did the CELT in the past year. We were told that there are more jobs than teachers in July, and you should be able to get a job in August also.

We'll see!

• Advertisement

cue brute wrote: »

any thoughts?

many thanks

tom

You might as well just do the ACELS Celt qualification. It is tough and intensive and darn right annoying. But it is recognised everywhere, including in secondary schools in Ireland (which pay €43 per hour). It's only a month and you have it forever.

Dionysus wrote: »
    You might as well just do the ACELS Celt qualification. It is tough and intensive and darn right annoying. But it is recognised everywhere, including in secondary schools in Ireland (which pay €43 per hour). It's only a month and you have it forever.

I agree, its an investment, if you put in the money and effort now you'll have it forever!:DInstead of paying 200/300 euro for an online or weekend course just pay the extra and get a valid qualification!!It's definitely worthwhile (although tough!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was interested in doing a TEFL course. Just read the whole thread and it was really useful and insightful. Thanks for all the info, especially from SeeYe.

My main concern is the intensity and workload of the course. I've just completed a 4 year degree and will probably get a first in it. However it was a 12 hour a week course, and I cut a lot of corners (strategically). Obviously had to work hard to a certain degree, but I have a feeling the CELTA course will be a completely different experience.

It really sounds like something you have to fully commit to, and obviously considering its 1500e to do you would want to make sure you can commit to it fully. So I have to decide if my I'll be able to turn around my laziness and general student-bum attitude to do this course.

Out of interest SeeYe, are there many 'drop-outs' or people that find the course too hard? What happens if you miss a day or two? Would hate to spend all that money and then find I can't hack all the work. I suppose only I can decide if it will be too much or not, I will give it some serious thought. Thanks again all who have posted info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Also I am only 21, what age are most people doing the course?

Morzadec wrote: »
    It's almost a 'how long is a piece of string question'. You'll be among the youngest no question, (there is a guideline lower age limit of 20 for CELTA) but it's hard to say if you'd be in a minority. The majority of trainees fall between 25 & 35 I'd say altho' with the current economic situation we're getting more, for lack of a better word, older candidates.

In Jan. I worked on a course of 12 trainees - 4 in their 40s the rest under 30.
    March was the reverse - we had 13 candidates aged from 20 (turned 21 during the course) to mid-fifties (with one candidate omitting to say). It was the first course I've worked on where most of the trainees were over 35.

At a guess I'd say the weekend courses have more younger folk.

• Advertisement

Out of interest SeeYe, are there many 'drop-outs' or people that find the course too hard?
    Some people stress and cry and believe it's the most stressful thing they've ever done - others say you just have to be organised. Hopefully the interview procedure will weed out any "'drop-outs' or people that find the course too hard" - the tutor's job is to help candidates pass not steal people's money and if we don't think you can make it we should warn you and give you suggestions how to prepare in order to hit the ground running. You can withdraw from the course - it is rare but I know people who have done so because of ill-health (exacerbated by age at times) or (once) because they found they had mis-interpreted the course content.

What happens if you miss a day or two?
    Again I'm only talking about CELTA. Basically you can't. If you miss part of the course there is a section in your file/portfolio/record to be filled in stating what you missed in terms of content and what has been organised to ensure the work is made up. Many centres will expect a doctor's certificate. If you miss teaching practice it has to be rescheduled as you have to be observed teaching for a total of 6 hours. In very exceptional circumstances you may be granted an extention for written assignments (which should obvioulsy be finished before the end of the course under normal circumstances). Essentially select your dates carefully you will have a very limited social life for the duration.
    Would hate to spend all that money and then find I can't hack all the work.
    It's only four weeks !!! You can do pretty much anything for four weeks. What was your workload like preparing for your finals ? This will be much the same. But - you know what ? It's fun ! Some people never notice the stress and just enjoy the whole experience ... you're doing something new and getting to know the other folk and it can be just one of those times in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

I have a few quick TEFL related questions. I'd appreciate any help you can provide:

1) Are there any good CELT/CELTA course providers in Galway?

2) When is peak hiring season for TEFL teachers abroad - if I completed the course over the summer, would I be able to find work in the autumn in SE Asia or Spain?

3) Japan is a country I've visited before, and I'd like to return there to teach. What's the job situation like in Japan? In fact, given the world-wide recession, what's the TEFL job situation like across the world?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Neuro wrote: »
    I have a few quick TEFL related questions. I'd appreciate any help you can provide:

1) Are there any good CELT/CELTA course providers in Galway?

2) When is peak hiring season for TEFL teachers abroad - if I completed the course over the summer, would I be able to find work in the autumn in SE Asia or Spain?

3) Japan is a country I've visited before, and I'd like to return there to teach. What's the job situation like in Japan? In fact, given the world-wide recession, what's the TEFL job situation like across the world?

Thanks in advance for your help!

All ACELS (CELT) approved courses in Ireland can be found here:

http://www.acels.ie/acelsschools.htm

Hey,

Im 22 and I'm the youngest on my course:D A good number are late 20s and then the rest in their late 30s/40s!!

I think you asked about attendance as well??we have to have 90% attendance so can only miss one weekend (lucky for me cos I'm heading to oxygen:p:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Can't tell you anything about Asia, but in Spain and in Europe as a whole the high season begins in September/October with the start of the academic year and finishes around May/June when students go on holidays. This means most schools will be looking for new teachers in late August and early September. I've got to warn you about Spain though, they've been pretty badly affected by the crisis so it might prove slightly more difficult to find a job as a language teacher there

what's the TEFL job situation like across the world?

Differs from country to country. In most schools in Ireland and the UK bookings for summer TEFL courses are down by about 20-25%. Some blame it on swine flu, most think it's the global recession's fault. Elsewhere in Europe people react to the threat of being made redundant in 2 ways: a) by saving and cutting expenses wherever they can, which means they're likely to decide against taking up ESL classes. b) by trying to make themselves as re-employable as possible or, failing that, by preparing for emigration. For this, of course, they need English, so in such countries schools are experiencing booms of sorts.

In short, if you do your research before setting off and choose your country wisely TEFL qualifications will get you a job no prob :)

Good luck

Dionysus wrote: »
    All ACELS (CELT) approved courses in Ireland can be found here:

http://www.acels.ie/acelsschools.htm

Yes, and there are a few in Galway alright. But as a previous poster queried, is it better to go for the cheaper, but less internationally recognised ACELS CELT, or the more expensive and more widely known Cambridge ESOL CELTA.

My gut instinct is that it would take alot of effort to explain to potential employers, particularly those based abroad, that the CELT is equivalent to a CELTA. Perhaps it's better to shell out a little extra?

Who are the main providers of CELTA courses in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Yes, and there are a few in Galway alright. But as a previous poster queried, is it better to go for the cheaper, but less internationally recognised ACELS CELT, or the more expensive and more widely known Cambridge ESOL CELTA.

My gut instinct is that it would take alot of effort to explain to potential employers, particularly those based abroad, that the CELT is equivalent to a CELTA. Perhaps it's better to shell out a little extra?

DEFINITELY go for CELTA. Yes, you're paying extra for the name on your diploma and the prestige that goes with it. But as the TEFL industry becomes more competitive, prestige DOES matter
    Who are the main providers of CELTA courses in Ireland?

International House www.ihdublin.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If you are planning to teach in Korea then you really don't need a CELTA. I have seen many here get jobs without any teaching qualifications.

If you really want to make teaching your career as I have, then you need to take some crap job first and then use that experience to move into the universities, companies, international schools etc sector for an easier life and better pay. Be careful of the private schools, they can be a shot in the dark sometimes.

Where ever you go check demand to talk to a current teacher at that school.

madziuda wrote: »
    DEFINITELY go for CELTA. Yes, you're paying extra for the name on your diploma and the prestige that goes with it. But as the TEFL industry becomes more competitive, prestige DOES matter

International House www.ihdublin.com

Yes, I saw that one, and I also believe there's a CELTA language course in UCC English Language School. Anyone have any experience with either? Are there any others available?

I think the UCC "brand" would be an added advantage on a CELTA cert.

If you are planning to teach in Korea then you really don't need a CELTA. I have seen many here get jobs without any teaching qualifications.

If you really want to make teaching your career as I have, then you need to take some crap job first and then use that experience to move into the universities, companies, international schools etc sector for an easier life and better pay. Be careful of the private schools, they can be a shot in the dark sometimes.

Where ever you go check demand to talk to a current teacher at that school.

Would a CELTA not help one skip those particularly poor initial jobs? And as someone working and living there, how would you describe your expereince - what are pay and living conditions like? And do you primarily socialise with fellow English speakers, or do you try to integrate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Would a CELTA not help one skip those particularly poor initial jobs? And as someone working and living there, how would you describe your expereince - what are pay and living conditions like? And do you primarily socialise with fellow English speakers, or do you try to integrate?

Not necessarily. Bad schools still want qualified teachers to apply. They can't make much money unless they can advertise that John Doe has this and that teaching certificate. The private industry here is very competitive and they spend loads on advertising. Some would use your face to advertise that they have a 'whitey' there.

Bottom line, just because you are "qualified" doesn't mean you can't still get a terrible school.

My experience has been mostly very postive. I love my job (work in a university, teaching 15 hours a week) but I had to work hard to get here. I had to take some crappy jobs, worked many hours teaching students who were not interested, fought with bosses who tried to cut my pay because I am not an American (although I don't have a strong Irish accent, they were just looking for an excuse to pay me less), pushed to teach around 50 hours a week (with crappy overtime) and had to steal my degree scroll back before leaving the country in 2005 but all of those experiences have taught me a lot and you learn from your mistakes. You have to have some crappy jobs so that you can learn about yourself more and to make you strong. I made those mistakes and haven't looked back since. While others might have quit and left the country I tried again but took my time to get a job. That's very important that you don't seem desperate. If you are then they (bosses, managers, agencies) will use that.

I find that the majority of Korean people are very nice and I don't usually hang around with too many non-koreans because 1) I am married and most of them are single and 2) the non-Korean places are just like any other bar in Dublin...people get drunk, people fight, people do this and that...who wants to experience that after college in another country? If you teach adults then you could easily become friends with them, which would be more enjoyable as they will show you the tourists spots and such around where ever you go. Sometimes it's nice to be a tourist!

Just a quick query - what are the best/most trustworthy websites for finding foreign TEFL jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish Heidi

www.tefl.com is a really good website for teaching and management jobs in TEFL / ELT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭scarface22

Does anyone know anywhere in Galway where you can do the CELTA?

I have found plenty of places that do the CELT but I presume the CELTA would be a better cert to have if I went off to Korea/Taiwan yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 book_worm

Hi

I will complete my degree in May next year and I'm hoping to do the CELTA fulltime course over 4 weeks next August. The reason I decided on this was because I am hoping it will enable me to Teach English as a second language in irish IT's and Universities.

My plan upon finishing the CELTA would be to work abroad to get a few years experience and when I finally move home have this CELTA plus experience when making an application to do lecturing. Do you think this will be possible or is there a further qualification i will need?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read through this whole post but what course is best to do to teach both in Ireland and abroad? I know the i-to-i is not the cousre to do but what course would cover me for both? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JFKgerrycasey

i am a secondary school student
    after hopefully completing an arts degree in french and possibly another subject i would like to go tefl
    my question is: is it a career?
    could i go about teaching in schools in europe changing country every 5 years or so? could i teach in india one year mexico the next and still be able to save up money etc? or is it just a temporary thing people do as a means of seeing the world?
    thanks in advance

Yes - altho' the saving up money bit really depends on where you teach and you may not get a whole lot of respect in the early years ("When are you going to get a real job ?").

From colleagues I had 13-15 years ago in Poland I know of at least two who are still in EFL - one is a CELTA tutor in the UK who also works on materials, the other Director of Studies in Germany. The one in the UK worked in Poland, Italy, Argentina, Australia before settling back in the UK. I've done short stints in Kuwait, Estonia, Spain, Germany, the UK; longer ones in Italy and here in France.

Current colleagues include a lad who trained in Costa Rica then worked in Argentina before coming here; someone recently back from Japan and someone has just left for Latin America (can't recall where).

Some folk seem to do a couple of years in one place before moving on - others fall in love with the local culture (or a local) and stay until they fall out of love (a point which may never be reached).

The other thing to know is that the teaching itself can be quite varied in terms of what you do. I've taught / still teach young learner summer schools; general English; Cambridge & TOIEC exam preparation classes; Business English; specialist Business skills seminars; "coaching"; one-to-one, groups, phone lessons; secretaries, politicians, spoilt/poor little rich kids, policemen, airport staff, retired people, job seekers, bright young tewnty-somethings, disillusioned middle managers, actors, marketing, HR, image consultants ... you name it I've taught it. In English speaking countries you may also find yourself working with asylum seekers where teaching English may go hand in hand with basic literacy skills.

Once you've got a couple of years under your belt you can branch out from teaching into other areas of EFL - materials development, examining for Cambridge, Sales, Management etc. I say go for it JFKgerrycasey.

However, I should warn you given your age that projections for English Language proficiency in Europe suggest that kids will be leaving school with a much higher level and that the number of adult learners will start to fall off from the middle of the next decade so you really will be looking towards Asia and Latin America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JFKgerrycasey

See Ye wrote: »

However, I should warn you given your age that projections for English Language proficiency in Europe suggest that kids will be leaving school with a much higher level and that the number of adult learners will start to fall off from the middle of the next decade so you really will be looking towards Asia and Latin America.

thanks for all your help
    i wouldnt mind teaching in asia or latin america i'd love it
    (im doing the leaving this year btw)
    have you ever taught in a school in france?
    like a regular school not a language school and if you have what kind of qualifications did you have when you did

• Advertisement

scarface22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in Galway where you can do the CELTA?

I have found plenty of places that do the CELT but I presume the CELTA would be a better cert to have if I went off to Korea/Taiwan yeah?
    i'd also like if anyone could shed some light on this.. in a full time job so a part time course in dublin would still be next to impossible.

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Hello,

I am giving serious thought to taking up TEFL training also and am wondering if anyone maybe able to advise me. Italy is my country of preference and after all the research I have done the crowd below are the leading candidates. I am hoping someone has direct or indirect experience of them and can tell me what they are like. I don't live near any training school in Ireland so I would have accomodation costs here anyway so why not get over and get stuck into the Italian culture from the off is my logic. The 4 weeks plus roof comes in at 1700 euro, saucy but I can afford it. The time in Nov-Dec can also be arranged. Anyone heard of them?

Thanks in advance,

http://www.teflcorp.com/tefl-florence-italy.htm

Finished up my CELT course good few months ago and have finally received my approved cert, ACELS take ages!!!!:)

Just have to say to anyone considering doing a part time CELT on top of a full time job, really really know what you are getting into! I was pulling my hair out for the full ten weeks, was really stressed trying to do lesson plans, teacing practices, and assignments on top of my own work and had no weekends!!:(

But you can get through it, if ya are really organised, stay on top of the assignments, be able to motivate yourself and be sure ya can get time off from work for all the teaching practices during the day!:) You will end up meeting great people!

If it was all worth it for me, remains to be seen.....:p

Just thought I'd share my experience for anyone thinking of it!

Thank you for posting that spudz21, people just don't always hear the warnings we give them as tutors when they apply for the course. Oh, and Cogratulations ! You made it, I hope EFL takes you the places and finds you amazing people to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snowleapord

Hi all I am starting a full time CELTA course in Nov. Can anyone advise me if I have to buy all new books or is it possible to buy second hand ones?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hi all I am starting a full time CELTA course in Nov. Can anyone advise me if I have to buy all new books or is it possible to buy second hand ones?

Hi snowleapord and welcome to Boards.ie !

I can't really answer your question but as soon as my wife gets in (from teaching CELTA!) I'll get her to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacintha

Can I just say that this forum makes great reading for me as I have just signed up to do a CELT course in the near future. While I understand that I am at a distinct disadvantage (as I do not hold a degree in any shape or form) and am seriously nervous, I am going to give it my all.

In reply to "Weepie", what really scared me is that you have 2 degrees and you were so nervous, I for personal reasons have to go "full steam ahead" slog my guts out to try get this certificate as I am moving abroad in the future. Can you let me know if you did the course and is it as hard as everyone has said?

I am going to borrow some of (KEVIN from DUBLIN'S) advice, encouragement and positive thinking and do my utmost to gain this qualification. Yes, I am beyond scared but as I have two children and am investing in an au pair to live in my house for 12 weeks while I throw myself into this course (3 nights a week), and study every day for as many hours as I need to during the week, I just cannot afford, on any level to fail as I was made redundant from my job.

I am forty years old, with a lively toddler and have not studied in 20 years but please, let it be possible with an eager heart and mind and a lot of slogging to achieve this qualification, even for a Mum just like me??

Is there anyone else out there who is not a teacher and does not have a degree or any teaching skills who did this course and passed?

Please reply as I need some encouragement!!

I am dreading the "standing up in front of everyone and trying my hand at teaching", but I am more scared of the other prospect of not being able to make ends meet and letting my children down and failing before I even begin if I throw the towel in now.

Sorry about the long drawn out post but I have to bounce the idea off someone and just wait for some feedback

Worried girl!!!!

Ponster wrote: »
    Hi snowleapord and welcome to Boards.ie !

I can't really answer your question but as soon as my wife gets in (from teaching CELTA!) I'll get her to reply.
    I do as he bids ... you should be able to find second hand through the usual channels (amazon used books if nowhere else). You don't need to invest in lots of books tho'.

One grammar book is essential - I like "An A-Z of English Grammar" by Leech et al, or "Grammar for English Grammar Teachers" by Martin Parrott.

One methodology book is useful. The centre where you're doing the course should have some books available for reference or to borrow.
    Hope this helps.

Hello, in case you haven't read the whole thread, I'm actually a CELTA tutor.
    jacintha wrote: »
    While I understand that I am at a distinct disadvantage (as I do not hold a degree in any shape or form)
    Not at all - the CELTA requirement is simply "has a level of education which would allow entry into higher education in their country". The course is very practical, not academic, it's all about applying techniques altho' you do have written assignments to complete they are not "go and sit in a library and do tons of background reading and analysis" type essays.
    In reply to "Weepie", what really scared me is that you have 2 degrees and you were so nervous,(snip) Can you let me know if you did the course and is it as hard as everyone has said?
    I'm not "Weepie" but let me say nerves have less to do with academic achievement than with standing up in front of your peers and tutor and teaching a class. It IS hard - you have to be ready to deal with a heavy workload and constant evaluation which can be difficult. Just remember that people are never judging you as a person, nor your intelligence, just your ability to apply effective teaching techniques.
    I am forty years old, with a lively toddler and have not studied in 20 years but please, let it be possible with an eager heart and mind and a lot of slogging to achieve this qualification, even for a Mum just like me??
    Off the top of my head I've personally worked with about a dozen mothers who've passed the course this year, not to mention at least one divorced dad who had the kids with him for half the course. It sounds as if you have taken the necessary steps to give yourself a decent crack of the whip. Time management plays a part - any mum has to be good at that. If you've got kids you'll have taught them things so the whole concept isn't new to you. It is probably worth sketching out a schedule of when you're going to do things and remember to plan in quality time with the kids. I'm not going to lie to you - the longer you've been out of formal education the harder you find it to get back into the swing of things - there is a lot of new information to absorb but doing a 12 week course gives you more processing time.
    Is there anyone else out there who is not a teacher and does not have a degree or any teaching skills who did this course and passed?
    I was about to say "Plenty !" but then I re-read your quote & added italics. No, people who do not have teaching skills do not pass the course. However the whole point of the course is to learn those skills !!! I'd say the majority of people I've had through the CELTA courses I've worked on did not have prior teaching experience. Sometimes if you have taught in a different context (kids, lecturing) it's more difficult to adapt.
    I am dreading the "standing up in front of everyone and trying my hand at teaching", but I am more scared of the other prospect of not being able to make ends meet and letting my children down and failing before I even begin if I throw the towel in now.
    Deep breath. You're not going to "try your hand at teaching", no one is throwing you to the sharks. You're doing a course to learn how to teach. Everyone wants you to succeed - your colleagues, the tutors and even the learners ! Some people even enjoy the course.
    Please reply as I need some encouragement!!
    How did I do ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacintha

Hi Paris,

You're very good to take the time and effort to answer me in such great detail and with all your valuable advice. I do feel a little better but I suppose when you're made redundant (as the economy in Ireland is pretty bad at the moment) your confidence takes a hard knock.

I just felt that creches and childminders were not the answer and to give myself a fair shot at this course, that it would be better to have an au pair live in my house for the duration.

You are right, it will be daunting and nerve racking to stand up in front of everyone and I know everyone will be in the same boat as me, but I can't help feeling that they will be so much better than me, more used to studying and therefore absorb information quicker and more accurately, but I will do my utmost to get this certificate and I hope that if I am weak at one section or am having difficulty that the tutors will guide me in the right direction.

What was upsetting me the most was that when I telephoned the places that ran the courses (and let me tell you I must have rang the majority of them in Ireland) they informed me that you would have little time for anything else for the length of time the course was running. My translation of this was that if qualified teachers were going to have to abandon all else, whether it was for the 4 week intensive course, or the part-time course, what hope did I have of passing it?

Anyway I could waffle on forever about my worries and woes but instead I will ask you, as it is the CELT course that I am doing, what books could you recommed to me that I could read through that would help me on my way before the couse commences.

By the way, you did great!!!!

I'm going to pick holes in one thing you said tho', "if qualified teachers were going to have to abandon all else" .. there may indeed be qualified teachers on the course - but this is the thing - they're not qualified EFL teachers or they wouldn't be doing the course. In my experience the only advantage people who with prior teaching experience really have is the confidence to stand up in the classroom - otherwise they can actually be at a disadvantage, having to unlearn things before they can move forward.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you like.

I mentioned two of the grammar books I like in the post above yours and for methodology either Harmer's "The practice of English language teaching" or "How to teach English" or, perhaps more approachable, Scrivener's "Learning Teaching". If you're in a big city you may be able to flick thro' them at the bookshop otherwise Amazon is your friend. There is no "right" book, pisk the one you like the look of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement