Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bentone Oil burner not working

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

A vacuum and pressure gauge confirms if the pump is ok.i can see the link to the pictures you have posted .The question is why are you not getting oil from the bleed screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Boiler stopped working again today. Think I'd a big airlock after a recent refill, and over zealously bled the radiators. Plenty of air came out, but a good bit of water too.

The PSI level is at 1 on the little dial on top of the unit, so I'm guessing the water level is too low. i don't think it has an automatic feed, that I can see anyway, just what looks like a container coming off one of the top pipes, a little like in this picture.

CA-900004-800x600-1.jpg

Is that for the water, can I or should I refill it?

I've a service booked for next week anyway, but wouldn't some heat if needed!!!

If your at 1 bar pressure when the heating is cold its ok

When I turned the heating on earlier, the boiler was working for maybe 10 minutes, and some of the radiators got warm, then the boiler cut out and I could hear the pump working away. I can't say for sure, but I think the PSI may have not been much higher than 1. But I wasn't paying attention to it, so can't be sure. The thermostat alert switch was out.

I then bled the rads and some air escaped, and also loosened the bleed screw on the pump. Only a small bit of water came out, followed by steam. From what I read elsewhere, steam and no water coming out means there isn't enough water in the system.

Promises to be a mild enough few days that we'll get by, so might be well enough to leave it alone til the service next week, just hate being defeated by it!

you could bleed the pump again and the rads.There is still air in the system.Wait untill the boiler cools down abit so you dont get scalded while bleeding the pump.when the pressure drops below 1 bar when cold top it back up to 1 bar

• Advertisement

I did bleed them all again and all just have water coming out now, but still no joy with the system working, which is why I'm guessing it needs topping up. But how do I top it up? I've no idea where the water should go...

Has the pressure dropped on the gauge after you bled the system again.do you see a filling loop with a valve near the pressure gauge similar to the picture posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

JamesM wrote: »
    If you just hear the clicks and not the motor whirring, then it is very likely that the motor is sticking. If you take off the oil pump, the motor should spin very freely. Sit the burner as you have it in the first photo and squirt plenty of WD 40 into the motor where the drive connects. Run the motor for a few cycles to free it up - If it spins freely, put back the pump and make sure that you replace the burner in the boiler before trying to start it. That's the most likely problem - try it - it may work for a day or a year. The oil pump can also be sticking or the motor may be just burnt out. You do have to make sure that the pump is properly lined up when re-fitting it. Leave the screws loose and slowly tighten them, one at a time, as you run the burner
    Jim.

Tried this and got a week out of it. Any ideas, will I need a new motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Got it sorted, Just put a load of silicone oil between the motor and the pump.

Advertisement