Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adison Lab DNA Food Intolerance Test

Options
  • 28-11-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I saw a really good deal for a DNA Food Intolerance Test with these Adison Lab guys in Dublin and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Would this be worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

From their "analytics" page their test uses IgG testing which has been widely debunked by reputable scientists. For more details read this article:

IgG Food Intolerance Tests: What does the science say?

Edit: the whole "€700 reduced to €99 LIMITED TIME AMAZING DEAL" is a classic sales gimmick. Don't fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

read this first: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/05/15/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-exist/

And €99 for a test that analyses IgG by DNA? Fools and their money....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bexalicious

I don't know a great deal about it, that's why I'm asking before I throw my cash in the fire.

So would the be food intolerance/allergy test that would be reputable?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

So would the be food intolerance/allergy test that would be reputable?

Read the link in my previous post. the latest evidence says food intolerance doesn't exist, it's processed food causing the symptoms.
    An allergy is a type one hypersensitivity reaction. They are caused by your body making IgE against the allergen. Therefore to have an allergy you need to have an antibody in your blood that is specific for the allergen. Exposure to the allergen will cause this antibody to be produced more.
    So after exposure to the allergen a doctor can take blood and a scientist can measure the amount of antibodies in it. They can say what type of antibody it is and if it's IgE they can try to find what it reacts to. If it's an allergy and you exclude the allergen from your environment the amount of antibody in your blood goes down.

Note that there's nothing in that about DNA, pricking skin or putting patches of stuff on your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dulgo

Hi Bexalicious,
    For starters, the original price is just ridiculous. I found this page where a company in the UK does this test for £54. (sorry I'm not allowed to post any website address because I'm a new user, just Google food allergy saliva test )

Saying that they do a DNA test is completely false, all they do is an immunoglobulin test. It is just like the test that you do in school to find your blood type and it costs a couple of quids. So they use the term DNA to impress and justify the cost.

Another claim they make is:Certified with an ISO 9001/2008 certificate. This is a certificate of Management Quality System. So, they they have good management of their company, good for them, but doesn't prove anything about the reliability of their tests.

And finally, the address they give for the lab is just a normal family home. look it up in googlemaps, 13 Bramley Way, Carpenterstown
    Dublin 15 (Ireland)

So, they have a great website that makes you think that they are a super hitech lab with the latest DNA technology but I reckon is one of those new business created by a stay at home mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rregan

As someone who is familiar with genetic analysis in medical health, the claims this company make are completely fraudulent. If you need a genetic test, your doctor would be able to refer you to a genetic clinic.

I notice that there is no written 'terms and conditions' on their website. A google search of the business address, 12 Bramley Way, shows a regular home and not a laboratory and it has registered 33 different companies of which 22 are now closed (found under company registration websites).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ladgk

Please please do not buy this.. I did.. I know I know .. foolish mistake but it was a moment of weakness albeit a very expensive moment.. the report they sent back after about 5 weeks was a computer generated load of nonsense.. I couldn't let it go.. it was €99 after all.. and the report was so bad and obviously fraudulent I was on a mission for a refund below are excerpts from actual emails between me and the company..

ME : It states I am low intolerance with Adult beef lean and then further down it states I have a high intolerance to Beef lean. Can I ask what is the difference please ?

COMPANY RESPONSE : About the differences between “Adult Beef Lean” and “Beef Lean” they are different animals, the body composition is completely different. The same happens, for example, with the lamb and the kid.

Now lads and ladies.. did you ever read such a load of codswallop.. I had to persist !!

ME : If they are different animals which animal is does adult beef come from and which animal does beef lean come from so I can differentiate

COMPANY RESPONSE : Adult beef lean is basically the cow, while beef lean is the babies meat, the young cattle.

As you can well imagine at this point the annoyance levels had surged so I continued to ask them for their Lab Compliance documentation etc etc and after many a lengthy email and exchanges with the discount voucher website I finally got my refund..So to all who are considering this deal please dont !

I've contacted the company several times to ask for credible evidence about their test or laboratory and in three months, nothing has been received. In conversations with their 'staff', even basic genetic procedures could not be described and most of what was said was utter nonsense.

I'd recommend that anyone who is unhappy with this company and their product they take the time to contact the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission to log a complaint and also the The Health Products Regulatory Authority and, if you have the energy, the Advertising Standards of Ireland and your local TD!

It would be best to also mention the internet site/ Dailydeal company where the product was purchased, since they are benefiting from the sale, they have a duty of care to the consumer.

More information about this company and test has been written in The Journal. Just search under the title adison-lab-dna-food-intolerance-2100894-Jun2015

Advertisement