Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Spotted this while driving out the Dock Rd today (the POC / ROG 'mural' and that derelict area beside it) and I am confused.....its a half ass job and looks awful - was that your intention?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    The same authority scumbags tag their shite on walls etc

Ah, right, criminal damage authority. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Spotted this while driving out the Dock Rd today (the POC / ROG 'mural' and that derelict area beside it) and I am confused.....its a half ass job and looks awful - was that your intention?

No No No im sure this was not their intention.. Their intention which is completly obvious is attention seeking.. Limerick has lots of other problems they could tackle.. They picked the easiest and most visable.. Instead of painting over the graf why didnt you volunteer to help the elderly by painting their houses or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Stab*City wrote: »
    They picked the easiest and most visable

Yes, the "most visible"; the one that makes it seem to visitors to our city that even the new bridges are derelict and run-down.
    Instead of painting over the graf why didnt you volunteer to help the elderly by painting their houses or something?

Instead of defacing the city, why didn't the original vandals avoid "the graf" and do likewise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I haven't much reason to make it out to that side of town so any chance for a pic of the paint job some time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tommywiseau

Thanks for that and just to clarify a few inaccuracies in the Limerick Post.

The report of the painters being "armed" with paintbrushes, I would have used equiped.

No body was told anybody that the painters were from the council and did not talk to anybody at the skate park, 3 youths approached the painters in the spot and didn't discuss anything with them, they were told the painters were there to do a job and talk to the boss.

I would assume the youths relayed the council as it was an easy answer and would add an element to the story.

All of the spot was painted the first time as there was a very limited amout of graffiti art which had not already been de faced by other tagging or graffiti.

The neighbouring business signs were also cleaned and tagging painted over. The development sign for the spot had tagging and graffiti painted over.

The electrical boxes were re painted.

The local Limerick Search and Rescue sign also had been tagged and vandalised which we take particular offence to considering they are a voluntary organisation and risk their lives for others.

Only the outside wall of the skate park was painted which had racial and offensive on it. At no time did any painter enter or paint anything in the park. Litter was also removed from the outside of the park.

The spot was then again painted at a later date. Graffiti and tagging which was the same as that to town and local neighbourhoods was painted over.

Artistic art and graffit WAS left untouched on this occassion where they had not tagged or vandalised the city.

The spot was again recently repainted with similar effect to the above 2 lines.

The wall of the skate part was repainted, again no painters entered the park.

Peoples idea that murials are left in some cases do work but the murial of Paul O'Connell and Petere Stringer was graffiti'd and tagged at the spot. How much of a negative effect does the outside of the spot have on the thousands of rugby supporters passing through the dock road for match's.

In many cases its not about art but vandalism and ego's amoungst peers which cannot be excused and this is what will continue to remove from the city.

We have all better things to be doing than painting over people's graffiti, we understand that people want to graffiti and express themselves, however what about the negative effect this is having on the city.

What about the hard work that people are doing to survive the recession and try and progress and create employment. The super market that recently opened in the brown brick building by the side of Arthurs Quay was tagged and vandalised the first week they opened after the spending thousands re doing the building which had been derelict for years.

In many cases business and premise owners don't have the ability or resources to remove graffiti or tagging from their buildings.

We have no intention of painting over graffitti or art that is in the skate park or the spot as long as its not the same people that are tagging, graffiting or vandalising the city.

We have done many other areas, motorways, estates and concentrate on the city centre.

Hope this clears up some issues and some misconceptions.

Best Regards and looking forward to a better, brighter and cleaner city, which will benefit everybody, including the taggers some day.

All of the above are facts, and only facts, if were unsure about something we don't say it.

MP. - Were here for a long time, not a good time!!

PS nearly forgot to the most positive person on boards...... We won't be running for mayor and its not beige, its a mix of recycled paints we use so maybe the next batch we make will be more to your liking.
    learn how to paint batman, maybe it was bad before but it looks like pure muck now. ask the taggers to give you a few pointers perhaps..? if you really think you can stop the graffiti scene in this city, well... lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 misterypainter

Hi All ...

Thanks for the interst and the many points of view.

Please find attached some pictures below but firstly in response to some of the completely nonsense remarks:

If were attention seeking we would firstly be writing our own names on the walls like the taggers.

If we were attention seeking we would have contacted the Post like the taggers. We would have identified and had pictures and names printed in this weeks article.

We would be posing at the walls that we are painting like the taggers, so please before making utterly stupid remarks for the sake of it, why not step back and see what exactly is going on with regards to the situation.

If we want attention, we'll go about it in differnet ways and spend more time giving our attention to our families and kids.

As previously mentioned there was reason for the beige paint.

I'm only waiting for what the negative people will have to say now since we've used grey paint and painted the building to the standard which it was always intended to be.

Best Regards

MP

15072010783.jpg

15072010784.jpg

15072010795.jpg

15072010797.jpg

No No No im sure this was not their intention.. Their intention which is completly obvious is attention seeking.. Limerick has lots of other problems they could tackle.. They picked the easiest and most visable.. Instead of painting over the graf why didnt you volunteer to help the elderly by painting their houses or something?

Ah the most positive person on the planet.... How are we today, would you like me to supply the eggs for your face!!!!

How's helping out in Bawnmore for the past 18yrs and doing sponsership for them every year.....

I could go on but we all have better things to be doing.

Best regards - MP

PS please don't insult anyone here on boards with a stupid remark to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

seriously like, what gives you the right to paint over graffiti in the skatepark?? This "art" or whatever you want to call it was done by the kids, in a place that they campaigned for years to have. their doodles made the place more appealing to them, and isnt that who its all about????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I think that it might have been a better idea to do something that would be seen in a positive light by " scene kids " that hang around in those areas . Maybe contacting the Art College or getting in contact with Pat Shorts brother to come up with something might have brought the kids onside .

I know that what has been done is seen very negatively by you own kids .

I get what ye are trying to do , I am just not sure it is the right way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Fair play to you mystery painter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In my opinion, misterypainter, what you have done to those sites on the Dock Road is a travesty. The artists who had worked there had permission to do so, and the pictures they created brightened up the whole area. Replacing beautiful, colourful images with dark grey paint is not the way to combat taggers.

You really are doing more harm than good, even if your heart is in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Ok I have to put my 2 cents in....Mysterypainter is trying to do something positive, cleaning up his city as he sees it...everyone elses problem seems to be that he has destroyed grafitti (Art).

Since Mysterypainter is a member of boards...could we not ask him to refrain from painting at the Skate park, as it was a designated area for grafitti within the city...as shown here

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-to-host-international-graffiti.5687036.jp

everywhere else in the city is not a designated area for grafitti...so if someone puts grafitti up anywhere else, is he not as justified in covering it with his form of whats nice (Grey or beige).

But to be honest mysterypainter, unless you are acting as part of a residents association or on behalf of the council you are in the wrong too. So why not approach the people on the dock road and get them to organise a residents association with an aim to stopping what you dislike...that would be a more democratic approach.

oh I've one question for mysterypainter, one of the papers said there were swastikas and racial slurs on the walls was that a true statement...and if there was the council should have erased them as soon as they received the reports of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Power to the people thats what I say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Fair play to you mystery painter.

I should probably counter that by saying I really enjoyed the art at "the spot" on the dock road, i pass it a couple of times a week and looked forward to seeing the new murals, but by f**k I think tagging is so f**kin retarded. Anything that wages war on them is good in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Ah the most positive person on the planet.... How are we today, would you like me to supply the eggs for your face!!!!

How's helping out in Bawnmore for the past 18yrs and doing sponsership for them every year.....

I could go on but we all have better things to be doing.

Best regards - MP

PS please don't insult anyone here on boards with a stupid remark to the above.

No, please, go on. You only seem too happy with the attention. Inflate your ego some more.

In my opinion, misterypainter, what you have done to those sites on the Dock Road is a travesty. The artists who had worked there had permission to do so, and the pictures they created brightened up the whole area. Replacing beautiful, colourful images with dark grey paint is not the way to combat taggers.

You really are doing more harm than good, even if your heart is in the right place.

The outside of the spot was tagged and vandalised, there was no graffiti art on it which we fully appreciate can be positive. There was a murial of Paul O'Connell & Peter Stringer where we painted, we didn't paint over it, it was destroyed by tagging and graffiti.

We have NOT EVER painted over any of the graffiti IN the skate park. We DID NOT paint over anything in the spot today. We don't have any issue with graffiti art or colourfull images which indeed do brighten the place up. To be honest a lot of it is impressive and creative and this is not what we are trying to stop.

There is more than enough space in the skate park and the spot for people to do graffiti art and we have no interest or intention of stopping this.

We are trying to stop the unwanted graffiti and tagging in the city, some of which is dangerous ie the sixth floor of the construction site on Henry street.

There has been an incident in a playground that was tagged and spray cans left behind where children sprayed themselves the following morning.

We were all young once and we were never perfect but where there is facilities fro the graffiti art, it should be kept to.

Best Regards - MP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ahh so the attention seeking has found it's way to the net.

All waffle. There is still plenty of tagging that was not touched in the area where the mickey mouse cover up painting was done.

Next thing the attention seekers will be saying that they did not lie and did not pretend to be City/county councils workers when asked about what they were doing.

I am sure there are legal channels that could have been followed where permission could have been gotten from property owners to cover up tagged walls and the like, but I guess the attention grabbing illegal way was what was wanted by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Hi All ...

Thanks for the interst and the many points of view.

Please find attached some pictures below but firstly in response to some of the completely nonsense remarks:

If were attention seeking we would firstly be writing our own names on the walls like the taggers.

If we were attention seeking we would have contacted the Post like the taggers. We would have identified and had pictures and names printed in this weeks article.

We would be posing at the walls that we are painting like the taggers, so please before making utterly stupid remarks for the sake of it, why not step back and see what exactly is going on with regards to the situation.

If we want attention, we'll go about it in differnet ways and spend more time giving our attention to our families and kids.

As previously mentioned there was reason for the beige paint.

I'm only waiting for what the negative people will have to say now since we've used grey paint and painted the building to the standard which it was always intended to be.

Best Regards

MP

15072010783.jpg

15072010784.jpg

15072010795.jpg

15072010797.jpg
    I'm sorry, it may have had good intentions, but that wall in the 1st pic looks terrible. If you are going to paint, do it properly.
    Though i do not think you should. The graffiti was much more interesting to look at then that beige wash you put on the wall.
    As for painting the outside of the skatepark? That is disgraceful. That area, as previously posted, was meant for graffiti. You even painted over the plaque! Yes i know the plaque had been done by someone else already, but that is just another layer that will now have to be removed, while at the moment it looks unreadable!
    If you want to paint walls, approach businesses in limerick with graffiti and ASK them do they wish it painted over.

The outside of the spot was tagged and vandalised, there was no graffiti art on it which we fully appreciate can be positive. There was a murial of Paul O'Connell & Peter Stringer where we painted, we didn't paint over it, it was destroyed by tagging and graffiti.

We have NOT EVER painted over any of the graffiti IN the skate park. We DID NOT paint over anything in the spot today. We don't have any issue with graffiti art or colourfull images which indeed do brighten the place up. To be honest a lot of it is impressive and creative and this is not what we are trying to stop.

There is more than enough space in the skate park and the spot for people to do graffiti art and we have no interest or intention of stopping this.

We are trying to stop the unwanted graffiti and tagging in the city, some of which is dangerous ie the sixth floor of the construction site on Henry street.

There has been an incident in a playground that was tagged and spray cans left behind where children sprayed themselves the following morning.

We were all young once and we were never perfect but where there is facilities fro the graffiti art, it should be kept to.

Best Regards - MP

Must be a coincidence that the faces of O'Connell and O'Gara on the wall on the Dock road was covered by the same coloured paint then as what was put onto the walls in that area.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and why were the walls INSIDE the post painted over?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

There are a million places around Limerick with graffiti and you paint over the ONE single space in this city that it was allowed.

There are plenty of places that could have used that paint you so ignorantly wasted.

Edit: Cheers for starting to paint the fence, but then leaving it half done.

I wonder if misterypainter and his chums would be brave enough to paint over the "C-IRA" graffiti in places like Garryowen or Caledonians Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the graffiti on the skatepark comissioned for that graffiti convention week thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I wonder if misterypainter and his chums would be brave enough to paint over the "C-IRA" graffiti in places like Garryowen or Caledonians Park...

Screw that... i wonder if i put some graffiti on my house will i get a free paint job...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Best Regards - MP

Nice Job.
    Hopefully these kids will get the message that this random unauthorised Graffiti (and i include this tagging rubbish as graffiti) is damaging this city.

Funnily enough some of the usual suspects on here who have nothing good to say about the city in almost every thread think this is a good thing.
    Typical, looking for something else to give out about.
    Sad individuals.

gihj wrote: »
    Nice Job.
    Hopefully these kids will get the message that this random unauthorised Graffiti (and i include this tagging rubbish as graffiti) is damaging this city.

Funnily enough some of the usual suspects on here who have nothing good to say about the city in almost every thread think this is a good thing.
    Typical, looking for something else to give out about.
    Sad individuals.

Laughable. Have you even walked by where these people have painted to see the really unsightly and poor painting jobs they did?

In two areas that were designated for graffiti to be allowed by the council.

Maybe you should have taken a stroll down to where the murial was of the rugby players and the yard behind it, which was a designated area in which the owner gave permission for the graffiti, and seen the eyesore these "painters" left behind them, while ironically there was plenty of tagging left on the walls right across the road from where the illegal painting was done.

Creating eyesores is hardly something for these people to be give praise for.

Painting over plaques is hardly a public service being done by these guys.

Why could they not have approched the owners of building with tagging on it and offered to paint over it?

Why did they have to go out and pretend they were working for the council to do their slip shod attention seeking stunts?

Given that the yard they went into had a locked gate and is private property, I hope the owner gets notified about one of them posting on here and gets in touch with the gardai and requests the IP address to follow up on legally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just out of interest, Art or Graffiti that should be covered with paint?

graffiti-art-revok.jpg
    493715892_05509c6f23.jpg
    1210880-Christiania-Graffiti-0.jpg

Melion wrote: »

graffiti-art-revok.jpg
    493715892_05509c6f23.jpg
    1210880-Christiania-Graffiti-0.jpg

Well work of that quality was covered up by the painters in the yard on the dock road.

Pretty sure there was a thread on here about that yard when it was first done, must see if I can find the thread and have a look at the yard before the painters so we can all see the "tagging" they covered up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Melion wrote: »

I haven't seen anything like those around Limerick, so those are irrelevant.

The idiots that do 99.9% of the scrawls around Limerick use their initials because they're too dumb and lazy to even write their names, let alone actually create art worth looking at.

Just out of interest, do you have any comparable comparisons, where it's brainless scrawls on otherwise clean walls and bridges ?

And - artistic merit aside - do you know whether those examples are in designated areas, or just vandalism to public or private property ?

I mean, even this :

0003747010dr.jpg

.....gets demolished because it's illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement