Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Loving all the censored spoilers on a book readers thread! Can't read them on my phone.

Some people don't want to be spoiled on winds of winter stuff. On my phone you can just tap on the blacked out text to reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Jofspring wrote: »
    Just quote them in a reply and you can see what they said. Don't have to actually reply.

Yes but then when you quote them and go back you lose your place in the thread - its just a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Just quote them in a reply and you can see what they said. Don't have to actually reply.

I'll quote them and post them, do everyone a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

On phone so can't link but the show are tweeting pictures of the Sand Snakes and the new Myrcella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

George R R Martin posted this on his 'Not a blog'

"Also, I have decided against attending this year's San Diego Comicon. Same reason. But since Comicon was never listed on my Appearances page, scratching it is not as big a deal.

(Should I complete and deliver WINDS OF WINTER before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind)".

George why are you doing this to us?? Is that him just playing with our emotions or is he hinting at an earlier release than what was expected? I'm not going to hold my breath on a 2015 release of TWOW but it would be a great surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Jaime's actor said the following a few weeks ago to add to things further:
    "[The show bosses] know as much as George R.R. Martin knows [about the story]. He hasn't written the books, but he knows how he wants it to end. Well, I think he's written one of them now. I don't know when it comes out, but I'd assume soon."

Now we'd have to take that with a pinch of salt but can't a man have A Dream of Spring :)

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/is_winds_of_winter_finished_game_of_thrones_nikolaj_coster-waldau_thinks_so-2015-03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I took the (not a) blog post to mean that he's keen to get TWOW out in advance of it being spoiled by season 6 and he's using the cons as a bit of a carrot and stick approach to motivate him to get it done.

I take the Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau comment with a pinch of salt. The cast seem to have little to do with Martin and many of them seem to not have read the books (purposely in some cases). I don't think that he realised how his words would be taken (or he did and was trolling the nerddome!).

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I took the (not a) blog post to mean that he's keen to get TWOW out in advance of it being spoiled by season 6 and he's using the cons as a bit of a carrot and stick approach to motivate him to get it done.

I take the Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau comment with a pinch of salt. The cast seem to have little to do with Martin and many of them seem to not have read the books (purposely in some cases). I don't think that he realised how his words would be taken (or he did and was trolling the nerddome!).

I completely agree with you about what Nikolaj said. "Well, I think he's written one of them now. I don't know when it comes out, but I'd assume soon." that's complete guesswork. "I think", "I don't know", "I'd assume", they're the words of someone who doesn't have a clue. Just like the rest of us I suppose..

Episode 1 of season 5 was shown this evening at the tower of london and the reviews are in. The Telegraph one is particularly in depth so perhaps skip that one if ya don't want the first episode completely spoiled.. http://watchersonthewall.com/the-first-reviews-of-game-of-thrones-season-5-are-in/#more-27693

It looks like the season premiere won't disappoint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Yeah definitely don't click on the Telegraph one if you want to maintain the element of surprise. I regret reading it now.

• Advertisement

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Yeah definitely don't click on the Telegraph one if you want to maintain the element of surprise. I regret reading it now.

I skimmed it this morning but Ive largely forgotten it already.

Are they doing away with the whole storyline about Mance's wife and the baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I skimmed it this morning but Ive largely forgotten it already.

Are they doing away with the whole storyline about Mance's wife and the baby?
    Not mentioned specifically but going by what was said, it'll be skipped.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Not mentioned specifically but going by what was said, it'll be skipped.

Why are you using spoilers - this is a book readers thread? Its a pain for mobile devices!!

Anyway, I wasnt even thinking about the article, just that we saw Stannis come to the wall last season and there was no mention of her - youd imagine if she was going to be in it we would have seen her or even heard about her by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sounds like Mance's missus and baby and Val (unfortunately, she sounds soo hot in the books) are all missing from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why do I have an image in my head of John talking to Mance and his wife being in the background with the child? Was it in the episode where he went out to meet Mance to discuss ending the fight?

Why do I have an image in my head of John talking to Mance and his wife being in the background with the child? Was it in the episode where he went out to meet Mance to discuss ending the fight?

From the book or TV show?

I think the few times Jon meet Mance in the book the wife was mulling around in the background with Val.

Dunno if she was even mentioned in the show.

From the show. In the tent right before Stannis showed up.

From the show. In the tent right before Stannis showed up.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Sounds like Mance's missus and baby and Val (unfortunately, she sounds soo hot in the books) are all missing from the show.

Danish actress Birgitte Hjort Sørensen has been cast as a Wildling (possibly even a Wildling Leader) but it's been said that she is not playing Val.

She could end up being a similar role to Val or may just be in it for an episode or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Why are you using spoilers - this is a book readers thread? Its a pain for mobile devices!!

Surely spoilers should be used here. The thread title says what to expect, as in people's thoughts, for season 5 in the tv show not confirmed stuff. I'm a book reader but I don't want the tv show spoiled for me as it's a different animal in many ways.

• Advertisement

Ya I'd prefer not to know the specifics of season 5 too much. I've watched the two trailers but avoided all the other stuff. If I watch too many clips, trailers and read articles about it I could probably piece together the season too easily. Would take away some of the excitement about looking forward to it.

This thread long ago moved past being just people's thoughts on what might be in season 5.

If you don't want the show spoiled I'd be avoiding places like this between now and when it airs.

Although personally having an idea of what's coming in the show doesn't spoil it for me as I still enjoy seeing it played out on screen, surely as a book reader we've already largely spoiled the show for ourselves anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

MrWalsh wrote:
    Although personally having an idea of what's coming in the show doesn't spoil it for me as I still enjoy seeing it played out on screen, surely as a book reader we've already largely spoiled the show for ourselves anyway?

But we're at the stage now where a tv spoiler could be a potential spoiler for the next book.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But we're at the stage now where a tv spoiler could be a potential spoiler for the next book.

Or it might not be. None of us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Or it might not be. None of us know.

Which makes it good, but also makes it bad.

Part of me wishes that they waited until all the books were out to make a programme, so that it could be more faithful to the last two books. But if that was the case, I would not have seen season 1 by now and sp would not have found out about the books to read them in the first place!

Which makes it good, but also makes it bad.

Part of me wishes that they waited until all the books were out to make a programme, so that it could be more faithful to the last two books. But if that was the case, I would not have seen season 1 by now and sp would not have found out about the books to read them in the first place!

Yeah I agree. I've a feeling that this season might wb my last til the books are finished. The books are better, so I'd rather wait for the better story.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeah I agree. I've a feeling that this season might wb my last til the books are finished. The books are better, so I'd rather wait for the better story.

Much as I agree with the sentiment I don't think I will be able to do that anyhow. It'll be at the very least 5 years before the books finish, and that's being generous based on his pace over the last few books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Judging by the amount of press Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is doing I'm beginning to think Jamie won't be making it out of Dorne. I've noticed a trend before on previous seasons regards to actors jumping into press work on their last season.

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of press Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is doing I'm beginning to think Jamie won't be making it out of Dorne. I've noticed a trend before on previous seasons regards to actors jumping into press work on their last season.

Reading this interview might change your mind on that. http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/23/exclusive-nikolaj-coster-waldau-predicts-how-his-game-of-thrones-character-dies-5117495/

If he did die in Dorne (which is still a good possibility) I doubt Nikolaj would be speculating on his characters death. His scenes for season 5 are finished so he definitely knows his fate until at least the end of the upcoming season.

Then again it could be a red herring and he's just duty bound to keep quiet about Jaime's demise.. One thing is for certain. The main characters have definitely learned how to play the "media" game.. It would be too much to lose Jaime, especially since becoming a "good guy".

• Advertisement

I fully expect Jamie to kill Cersei (in the books and in the show) to fulfil the Maggy the Frog prophecy.

So I would be surprised to see him die in the show.

I know Tyrion is a little brother too, but so much emphasis has been put on Jamie and Cersei being twins and that she was born first!

Advertisement