Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

First year in a while I don't know any of the Irish position players. Would have loved to have seen Floyd play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Very excited to see Everett Golson at QB for Notre Dame. Had thought Kelly would go with the safer option of Hendrix, but delighted he's chosen Golson. ND fans are very happy with that, and it bodes well from an entertainment perspective for those of us at the game. Also very disappointed we wont get to see Cierre Wood in person. He's a fantastic player, but we always have Manti Te'o :)

Also, over 1000 replies. I never dreamed that the game would be this popular when it was first announced! Kind of chuffed to see it all over the place now - radio, news, internet, even people I know who haven't a clue about football are talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Mate said to go to the Dublin Rebels tailgate in the Bath pub.Where is that located?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Thanks for that!

I look forward to debating lens length with the security staff!!! :D

I was at the Bears game in Wembley last year and that was exactly what happened, guy in front had a slightly long lens and was told to put camera away, argument ensued, security did not budge an inch, guy had to put it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

raven136 wrote: »
    Mate said to go to the Dublin Rebels tailgate in the Bath pub.Where is that located?

Bath Ave
    Just down past slatterys on the left

http://www.thebathpub.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

Have just arrived at bewleys newlands cross . Next stop the Aviva. I think some of the high school players might be staying here. Staff also have badges with shamrock footballs on them , bottles of energy drinks packed up in the lobby .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

decies wrote: »
    Have just arrived at bewleys newlands cross . Next stop the Aviva. I think some of the high school players might be staying here. Staff also have badges with shamrock footballs on them , bottles of energy drinks packed up in the lobby .

Or, LeBron James could be in town.

tumblr_l5ar3nom3d1qzptwgo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Or, LeBron James could be in town.

tumblr_l5ar3nom3d1qzptwgo1_500.jpg

I bet you those books are even a front and have mini bottles in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Sorry I know it's the wrong thread, but does anyone know if the GIFT game at Donnybrook was sold out or can you pay at the entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I know it's early but feck all at the Parnell Park game which has just started

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Donnybrook is pretty full..High school game us good 23 - - 14 at half time.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Donnybrook is pretty full..High school game us good 23 - - 14 at half time.

Would you guys be able to ask a member of staff or something for me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah..

ITT-Pat wrote: »

Yeah sure, what do you want to know.

1st game over here. Only caught Second half but fun to watch. Easy win for Kent 26-2 in the end over the UK team

1st game over here. Only caught Second half but fun to watch. Easy win for Kent 26-2 in the end over the UK team
    Just looking to find out if you can still pay at the entrance?

Just looking to find out if you can still pay at the entrance?

Definitely can at PP anyway.

You can here anyway. Great high school game. Loyala were 23- 14 up at ht. Now 27 - - 23 down going into the 4th. Great fun.

Thanks lads

Epic game..Missed pat the difference. Jesuit prep win 30-29. Now for the college game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Hi is there a timetable for tomorrow in the aviva? I know that 2 pm is the start time but just wondering is that kick off and what time would I need to be in the stadium to see the pregame stuff such as the bands, teams taking the field etc?

Hi is there a timetable for tomorrow in the aviva? I know that 2 pm is the start time but just wondering is that kick off and what time would I need to be in the stadium to see the pregame stuff such as the bands, teams taking the field etc?

If they do the same routine as they do in the US the final hour leading up to kick off will have the marching bands and flyover. So between 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Got the Loyola game. Absolutely incredible. Fantastic atmosphere, was sitting with 2 people with very little AF knowledge and they loved it. The band and cheerleaders made it ( at least in our part of the stand, they created a great atmosphere, shame there was none for the Norbert game) and plenty of talkative fans from America. Left after Q1 in the college game, you can only sit in a stadium for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭golfpaul

I can't make the game tomorrow but have 2 tickets for block 109. Problem is I'm in Galway. Face value, PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Gates open to the public at 12.30, if that helps at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Good crowd for the second game, huskies doing a good job of beating themselves!

• Advertisement

infacteh wrote: »

Half time shows pretty good isn't it? Let's hope Hamilton can hold onto the ball a bit more in the second half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

infacteh wrote: »

Half time shows pretty good isn't it? Let's hope Hamilton can hold onto the ball a bit more in the second half!

The bands are great craic, it's a great atmosphere.

I've mates from chandler, hoping the huskies can pull it outta the bag. It's game time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

golfpaul wrote: »
    I can't make the game tomorrow but have 2 tickets for block 109. Problem is I'm in Galway. Face value, PM me

Just after PMing you Paul. Does anyone else have a spare ticket? Trying to pick one up for a friend at the last minute

Just ( cough ) picked up a programme in bewleys newlands cross for the high school games today you can order a webcast of the games for 19. 95 dollars go to GIFT2012.com/watch-live according to programme !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Just watching the live stream now. So jealous of you guys going tomorrow, have fun! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is the Notre Dame game being broadcast on TV over here?

ESPN America son

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

So who will win Notre dame or navy?
    Looking to have a bet on it.

So who will win Notre dame or navy?
    Looking to have a bet on it.

ND will win, the only question is will they cover the spread (15 or 16)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

A mate came through and I have a ticket secured for tomorrow now, really looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ND will win, the only question is will they cover the spread (15 or 16)

Thanks, there 1/7 thinking of putting them in a double.

I've just watched a few videos of the interviews with the players/coaches and is any else embarrassed at some of the questions being asked by some of the Irish press?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolbZoV1Iio&list=UUL4uWCx88sOjzXvcZSZuHmQ&index=2&feature=plcp

Who's your favourite NFL Player? Oh my God.

I've just watched a few videos of the interviews with the players/coaches and is any else embarrassed at some of the questions being asked by some of the Irish press?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolbZoV1Iio&list=UUL4uWCx88sOjzXvcZSZuHmQ&index=2&feature=plcp

You think they would send reporters along who know what they are talking about or someone who at least done some bloody research on college football.

CoachTO wrote: »
    You think they would send reporters along who know what they are talking about or someone who at least done some bloody research on college football.

Why are they all obsessed with what the think of Ireland and what they think of the stadium? ND's stadium holds 80,000+ for God's sake and they've both played in NFL stadiums so it's not like they've never played in a big stadium before (check out the Army-Navy game for an atmosphere)

They're here on business, who cares if they think Ireland is a lovely country?

Why are they all obsessed with what the think of Ireland and what they think of the stadium? ND's stadium holds 80,000+ for God's sake and they've both played in NFL stadiums so it's not like they've never played in a big stadium before (check out the Army-Navy game for an atmosphere)

Its cringe worthy isn't it.

• Advertisement

Jeez St. Norbert 40-3 John Carroll 3. Sounds like a massacre, though apart from the second quarter only 13-3. Glad I left after the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

matthew8 wrote: »
    Jeez St. Norbert 40-3 John Carroll 3. Sounds like a massacre, though apart from the second quarter only 13-3. Glad I left after the first.
    It was a massacre, but it stayed entertaining right to the end. Mostly down to some great support from the St. Norbert crowd (though I think it was mostly a few Irish lads mixed in with them)

Some good football on show despite the final score, glad I went. Roll on tomorrow!

Conchir wrote: »
    It was a massacre, but it stayed entertaining right to the end. Mostly down to some great support from the St. Norbert crowd (though I think it was mostly a few Irish lads mixed in with them)

Some good football on show despite the final score, glad I went. Roll on tomorrow!

I was in the Norbert area for the first quarter, great people, nice to talk to. High school game had a far better atmosphere though. Norbert/Carroll understandably didn't bring cheerleaders and a band, and that sort of hurt the atmosphere. Granted the Norbert fans themselves were loud, but if you're going to sit down for 3 hours to watch a 60 minute game, there needs to be just a little bit more than the game going on. The high school game certainly opened my mind to that form of the game, and whenever I'm in America I'll be trying to catch one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

While I agree the coverage is slanted too much towards 'Americans coming over! Tourism boom!' and not on the sport or the fact people here have demonstrated a significant interest in it on multiple occasions over the last two decades it'd be also remiss of people to not acknowledge that for the two teams involved this is far from a usual situation. Those questions are far from the problem - there is a very obvious cultural and emotional connection between both the two countries and even Notre Dame as a Catholic school with plenty of Irish-American influence. There is a reason this game is in Ireland - and not for the first time and very likely not for the last time, either - and not Australia or some other far-flung country.

Syferus wrote: »
    While I agree the coverage is slanted too much towards 'Americans coming over! Tourism boom!' and not on the sport or the fact people here have demonstrated a significant interest in it on multiple occasions over the last two decades it'd be also remiss of people to not acknowledge that for the two teams involved this is far from a usual situation. Those questions are far from the problem - there is a very obvious cultural and emotional connection between both the two countries and even Notre Dame as a Catholic school with plenty of Irish-American influence. There is a reason this game is in Ireland - and not for the first time and very likely not for the last time, either - and not Australia or some other far-flung country.

Whatever excuse or spin people want to put on it the level of journalism and reporting in this country is shocking for the most part. Awful Random questions for the most part that leave an awkward response or dismay. Watching a lot of the interview some of those reporters or journos clearly shouldn't be asking any question regardless the significance of this event.

Also on the tourist stand point none of the Navy or ND players get to or got to see any of Ireland but their hotel rooms and the practice field oh and whatever they see around their hotel and out bus and plane windows so its pointless asking them anything about how lovely this country is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

I'd imagine most people at this stage who are going have their tickets sorted and we know we can get beer and being in cameras so what about the game then?

Seeing as they're giving 15-16 points according to the bookies, I think its safe to say ND will probably win but I'm just hoping it stays tight for as long as possible and it doesn't turn into the 56-14 rout that it did last year.

Why is it safe to say ND will win? their QB is rookie and the suspensions +15.5 is the best bet out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Joys of commuting from the sticks - but 7 hours til game time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Joys of commuting from the sticks - but 7 hours til game time :D
    Snap :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For example:

I think the journalists are a in a bit of tight spot to be honest.
    Their readership/viewership are not all that interested in the sporting part of the game, therefore a article breaking down match ups, offensive formation, defensive formation etc is not going to see the light of day in an Irish publication, whereas there will be loads of stuff about the peripheral aspects of the events.

Irish journalists should not have even bothered with the players and went straight to the organizers PR people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Who are the players to watch out for today?

Advertisement