Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your opinion please? A5/335

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

As a 335i driver I would give my vote to the BMW of course. Mine is in the SE trim and thats what I prefer, the only option from the Msport version I would really want would be the steering wheel as I dont think the spoiler kit does much to the look either way. The SE has the sports suspension and sports seats already . Not sure that the 19 alloys would be best suited to our roads IMO. The car is a great drive and I am enjoying it more and more everyday,the paddle shifters on the steering wheel take a bit of practice but are a blast. If I had to choose an A5 (God Forbid) I would go with the diesel and avoid MSL....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I like both but I would plum for the BMW in the end. I just think that Audis look great for the first year or two & they date badly after that. Was looking at a 335i Convertible the other day, just thought it was classy.
    Don't think the Audi has the same kudos.
    I have never driven either so I can't comment on the driving experience. With regard to the rough ride on 19s, it's really subjective as to what people find "stiff" or "rough". A friend of mine bought a 530D in 2004 but specced a set of 16' alloys because he READ that the ride was rough! Roll on 3 years later he has now jst bought a 2006 M5 v10 with 19s & obviously the M/// suspension is far stiffer than an M Sport would be. He doesn't find the M5 rough, funny that isn't it?
    On the M Sport versus the SE, I would be in the other camp to E92. I prefer the looks of a Sport. They also have better residuals because they are more in demand than the SE. I suppose it boils down to what you prefer.

I really like the Le Mans blue with a Cream Beige Dakota leather interior. It would also have to be auto with the paddles (Currently contemplating an SMG wheel/paddle retro fit to my steptronic auto, just for the craic!)

Forget about BMW bluetooth, there are plenty of aftermarket systems available for the €300 mark that will completely integrate with the steering wheel controls, speakers etc. OK you won't have the phone book on screen but to have this you have to use specific handsets. Maybe Ned78 will correct me on this?
    Tge auto dim mirror shoudl really be standard at this stage, don't forget to spec it.
    Of course everything is personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks again for the replies lads, really good opinions/personal choice type comments coming up :)

Anything else on the E92 looks too small I think- 19s are a must for me, I know the roads are sh1te in Ireland but I rarely leave Dublin so I'd put up with it. I cycle to work too so it's gonna be an evening and weekend thing. I'd also prefer the M sport and would also agree that the M sport will always be worth more come resale time.

I don't think it's possible to say what an A5 will be worth in two or three years time yet, Audi cars do seem to hold their own fairly well though from my experience of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Even reading comments from Audi folk reaffirms in my mind that Audi fans and buyers really do tend to want the diesel models, suggesting that the 3.2 A5 will struggle to hold as much value as the Beemer. However, you'll more than likely be trading it, so you won't be left with it.
    You mentioned the 325i, if it's a toss up between the 325 and the A5 then I'd roll with the A5, no question. The 335i is a different ball game. If I were going A5, I'd also test drive the 3 litre TDi before making a call, however, that will probably be quite nose heavy.
    I'd also prefer the M tech kit on the beemer, however I would remove the M badge from the car, as I only like to see an M badge on an M car. It's the kit that does the visuals, the badge only serves as an indication to a better, more expensive car.
    On the 19" rims, it would affect the handling noticably, which would make me not choose them despite the asthetic advantage. 18's are fine on it.
    You really should forget the convertible experience and test drive both coupes for a while, and see. It's a lot of money, so insist that you bring them for a proper spin before placing the order. You can't go far wrong with either, so best of luck!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW
    Has to be the a5 mark, you should start the same poll on audi-sport to get a proper result from audi men! I'm actually surprised it is so close considering the amount of bmw fanboys on here.

Although I was dissapointed in your pics of the A5 interior when I actual went to my local launch I was actually impressed enough. It might not be a big step up from other audis, if anything it isn't much nicer than the A3/S3 however it is a lot nicer than the BMW interior. It's a big deal for me, after all it's where you spend all your time and I love the interior in mine.

Personally I much prefer the audis looks and it will always be a bit rarer than he bmw. There is nothing wrong with the bmw but as an audi driver I don't know how you could go with one over the audi, I'd say you would regret it every time you either saw an A5 or yet another bmw drive by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I seen a dealers A5 parked in the petrol station today. To be honest i was expecting more - i mean it didn't blow me away.
    It was navy and the wheels looked undersized - multispoke 16"s? Both the colour and wheel choice didn't suit the car.

Still wouldn't say no to one thou;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

With regard to the rough ride on 19s, it's really subjective as to what people find "stiff" or "rough". A friend of mine bought a 530D in 2004 but specced a set of 16' alloys because he READ that the ride was rough! Roll on 3 years later he has now jst bought a 2006 M5 v10 with 19s & obviously the M/// suspension is far stiffer than an M Sport would be. He doesn't find the M5 rough, funny that isn't it?

This is because the M5 unlike every other E60/E61 5 series bar those on 16 inch wheels doesnt have run flat tyres. The run flats on the E60 are yucky. I dont imagine that the 3 series would have the same problem, because it was designed from the off to have run flats and unlike the E60, the suspension was designed specifically for run flats. Not having been in a 335i, which has sports suspension, I can't say for sure, but the E90 on 16 inch wheels has a fine ride.

I'm all for the poke of the TDI in the A5, I'm just not sure I would enjoy it as much as I enjoy the pull the S3 has all the way to the red line. I had a chipped 2.0TDI 140 bhp and it was nice and torquey but I don't know if I'd go diesel again but I think it would probably be the right option in the A5 listening to your opinions and using my head.

I just don't do the kms to justify buying diesel but the price of the two A5s is so close it's probably not as much a factor.

I'm heading to Grange this weekend for a drive in an A5 (if they have an S5 too I think it would be rude not to :D ) but without a doubt if I do decide I'm going for either, I'll be asking for 24 hour test drives in both. I had one with an M3 before and it's the only way of seeing what it would be like to live with the car.

I think the upgraded 19s on both cars are lovely, I appreciate what some of you are saying about the ride and handling but if an M3 can come with 19s, they can't do a huge amount to the handling.

Both cars do it for me on the outside, the BMW probably a little more for me on the inside but handling on the A5 and the drop in power is going to be what I really will be focusing on.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BMW
    just a note on the M3 with 19s, my undertanding is that the proper M series cars all have normal tires whereas all the std cars have runflats.

There is a review of the new M3 in one of this month car mags and they reckon it is more comfortable than the std coupe for that reason..

I have Car magazine with the M3 in it, it's a good read.

Wish I was in the market for this though :cool: If someone was to say to me that car will be 75k in Jan, I would put a deposit on it but I can't see it dropping that much.

grangeS5Met325.jpg

grangeS5Met321.jpg

• Advertisement

Apparantly the E92 M3 is not BMWs M Division's finest hour. People say its a great car yes, but its not the leap forward people were expecting, and apparantly the steering is not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Mark

Just a couple of thoughts

I'd imagine trading in an Audi v and Audi might get you a better deal but that may not concern you. I must say I'm surprised your thinking of changing so quickly (even tho I know how quickly the new car itch strikes) as there are still very few of the S3's around. You could wait an extra year and plump for a second hand S5.

But anyway back to your question - I would go for the BMW - I think it looks slightly better than the A5 but I cant comment on the drive as yet. I have been thinking about this dilemma myself, or more specifically which would I go for the 335i or a 1 - 2yr old M3.

As regards the M- Sport question. I think the days of the M-sport pack being seen as a substitute for a real M car are gone. I also dont think that most M-sport owners are trying to fool anyone. I think in most cars it just looks more complete. I drive a E60 M-sport and love the look, but I would not dream of it without the M-sport pack. On the new 3 series coupe I'm not actually sure it makes that much difference. However as regards bluetooth I would definitely go for that. I know you can get aftermarket kits but I love the way it intergrates on the idrive screen

I'm not changing til 2008 if I do change anyway, at that stage I will have the S3 a year, don't get me wrong, very happy with the S3, it's a fantastic car to be behind the wheel of but I just can't get coupes off my mind!! :o

I am hoping that the rarity of the S3 even now towards the end of the year will help me sell it on quickly and with the extras on it, very close to the list price of a standard S3. I will do my best not to trade it in whatever car I go for as I believe someone will snap my hand off for it (already had someone show interest via PM on it if I choose to sell) particularly when I have looked after it so well, there is not a mark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

If you're going leave it until next year, and aren't that bothered about the 'new car' smell ;) I'd give serious consideration to the S5 as a second hand buy. Large engined cars depreciate badly here as you know, so you could be happy in the knowledge someone took a hit for you.

Also, although Audi's obviously hold their value well, most of Joe Public, I think even with €65-75k to spend (taking into account a hopeful €10k depreciation on either), would lump for the Beemer for various reasons (be they right or wrong), so the S5's that do come onto the 2nd hand market may be more susceptible to price negotiation. Well worth waiting a few months to see how things pan out...

Still, I'd wait and get an RS4 over either (there's one on CBG for €87k), but I'm over coupes I think :rolleyes: (despite the fact I may get an E46 M3 next, if I can come to terms with -2 doors, and the tax & fuel costs of a 3.2 again...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

Isn't it obvious? the BMW, I can't understand why the 3.2 Audi is even getting close in the poll. With the exception of the RS4 and the R8, Audi makes dull understeering cars with playstation level feedback steering, classy interiors and .....I forget what I was going to say next. At €76k, though, will you end up with a strangely poverty spec car? I was looking at a 335i Cabrio to change for my elderly 911 cabrio but decided not to just because, while it was nearly as good to drive (numb BMW steering rack aside), it just didn't offer enough to justify the extra money, but I didn't even think of Audi.

Gatser - I would be into a 07 demo S5 in Jan but I don't think they will suffer RS4 style depreciation as they are not at that price level to begin with but it would be great from a buyers point of view if they did.

Locutus - I don't think you'd end up with a poverty spec no. For that money you get M sport, leather, metallic, upgraded wheels and auto box. What else do you want in an already well specced car which has sports seats, PDC, bi xenons, climate, Cd player, arm rest, auto dip mirror etc

The only thing I can think of is Sat Nav and although I have Audi Nav Plus in my S3, I use it once a week if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Mark I've been hankering after an RS4 for a while but I think they're beginning to look dated. There was a navy RS4 in Avoca's car park the other day and I hardly noticed it, the gear knob is a little chrome overload too.

I'm beginning to really like the look of the S5 and I think I'd prefer a fast GT cruiser over a hardcore saloon. Being based on the new MLP platform it's a lot more technically up to date too. I think it definitely has more visual presence over the beemer and surely there wouldn't be much practical difference in power than the RS4.

Might head down to Grange for a looksie also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

Fair enough, Sat Nav probably not worth it because you have to get the iDrive binnacle and then you will have dead end options on the screen unless you get the bluetooth, cd changer and tv options, or in other words that will be €5k please sir. Eh I know you don't want alternatives, but really for that money a secondhand RS4 or M5 beckons. I've tortured an M5 on a test drive and briefly driven an RS4 and they are both in a different class to the 335. Sorry, couldn't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BMW
    Dwilly wrote:
    Out of the two you listed though Mark I'd probably go for the BMW as much as I'd hate to admit it. I'd only drive it after dark though on empty roads where no-one knows.. :rolleyes:

My friend's dad is the same, won't drive the 325ci in daylight..seriously!! Even his mom prefers to drive the S-Class when it's there. not that she doesn't like the 325, but prefers the S. I told her she should have gotten the new C70 D5, but she'd ordered at that stage!!, she could even have saved €10k and gotten a nicer car (for what she wanted)

Ice_Box wrote:
    Buy the Audi if you want people to allow you to change lanes and get out of side roads.

:D:D:D:D

SO TRUE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 apple_danish

E92 wrote:
    BMW. BMW. BMW. Get the picture?

Audi sold the grand total of 0 3.2 litre A6s, I've seen plenty of 530is in this country, and already I've seen 5 335i's in this country)

I have to ask E92 where he is getting his sales figures from??? I know for a fact that Audi sold a number of 3.2s lat year.

• Advertisement

I have to ask E92 where he is getting his sales figures from??? I know for a fact that Audi sold a number of 3.2s lat year.

I made an observation based on what I have seen on the roads. The largest engined A6 I have seen is the 3.0 TDi Quattro.
    I havent seen an A8 in yonks.
    the most powerful A4 I have seen is the 2.0 TFSI(200 bhp).

RE 3.2 litre Audis, I'm going on what I read in some Irish car mag. I never said it was 100% fact.

But since you do know, how many 3.2 litre Audis did they sell, versus how versions of the car overall eg how many 3.2 A6s versus how many A6s were sold, and how many A4s etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Mark, the only thing I would say re Sat Nav is to get all you can when you buy the car, it will make a difference when it comes to selling/trading on.

I know the i-drive has had a lot of bad press but the latest versions are actually pretty good.

I also think that the interior looks a lot better with the extra binnacle.

I would defo go for the BMW, I think the Audi is a very good looking car and will certainly have excellent build quality but that 3.0 twin turbo engine is really fantastic, I drove one and thought that I would not be too impressed (I drive an M5) but it really does pull very well and I could not notice ANY turbo lag. It surprised me to be honest, it is not an ///M car but very good nonetheless.

Best of luck with your choice!

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

The BMW 335 is the superior car to drive.

I prefer Beamers so would be a no brainer for me...

richie_rvf wrote:
    Mark, the only thing I would say re Sat Nav is to get all you can when you buy the car, it will make a difference when it comes to selling/trading on.

I know the i-drive has had a lot of bad press but the latest versions are actually pretty good.

I also think that the interior looks a lot better with the extra binnacle.

I would defo go for the BMW, I think the Audi is a very good looking car and will certainly have excellent build quality but that 3.0 twin turbo engine is really fantastic, I drove one and thought that I would not be too impressed (I drive an M5) but it really does pull very well and I could not notice ANY turbo lag. It surprised me to be honest, it is not an ///M car but very good nonetheless.

Best of luck with your choice!

Richie.

Goes without saying to get the most you can but for example, I have the full Audi Sat Nav in my car, it's €3k from Audi but I don't think someone will even give me half that. Sure, it's a nice extra to have in the car, adds to the visuals of the dash but not too sure how much of a selling point it is.

I'm taking an A5 for a spin tomorrow anyway, will dig up this thread afterwards.

Well lads, took the A5 3.0TDI out this morning. Coming from the S3 and driving a diesel I have to say I was very impressed. The mid range is easily on a par with my car and it has plenty of poke when it comes to acceleration.

The brakes are well up to the job, it was certainly a very smooth car to drive compared to the BMW M sport suspension but the Audi was an SE car and obviously Quattro made it handle well and the engine is very refined, plenty of V6 noise rather than tractor when pushing on.

I'm taking one for a 24 hour test drive week after next so I'll get a proper feel for it.

All it did was make the Audi/BMW choice even harder though what I did come to decide is that where I have petrol options on the BMW, that's not really the case on the Audi - there is a 2.0T petrol on the way with I think 240bhp but when is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Thanks for the update Mark. Seems the common rail 3.0TDI is getting good reviews. I'm not sure if I could put up with another noisy diesel, what's the noise like from cold, at the lights etc?

I turned the radio off at one point to try and hear it but it really was quiet. I had the 2.0TDI engine a few years back and it was quite noisey by comparison. I was surprised at how petrol like the V6 roar off it was.

If I knew when the 2.0T petrol engine is out and it wasn't too far into 2008 I would possibly wait but then again, when the 3.0TDI is such a good engine (0-60, although not the most important figure in the world is almost the same as my S3) and 40 mpg - maybe it's too good to overlook.

Nice to see a full colour display for the on board computer is only 190 quid - it really added to the instruments I think and although the few switches bug me and the plastic around the radio is a bit annoying, I think the interior is a bit more special than the BMW's simplistic design.

I'll get a decent feel for it on the 24 hour test drive.

MarkN wrote:
    I turned the radio off at one point to try and hear it but it really was quiet. I had the 2.0TDI engine a few years back and it was quite noisey by comparison. I was surprised at how petrol like the V6 roar off it was.

If I knew when the 2.0T petrol engine is out and it wasn't too far into 2008 I would possibly wait but then again, when the 3.0TDI is such a good engine (0-60, although not the most important figure in the world is almost the same as my S3) and 40 mpg - maybe it's too good to overlook.

Nice to see a full colour display for the on board computer is only 190 quid - it really added to the instruments I think and although the few switches bug me and the plastic around the radio is a bit annoying, I think the interior is a bit more special than the BMW's simplistic design.

I'll get a decent feel for it on the 24 hour test drive.

Just to make the decision even harder for you:D , why not go for a spin in a 335d if you can?

I know I should have mentioned it before, but I didn't think you liked diesels at all, considering that you were thinking of a 3.2 A5.

I mean the 335d has a monstrous 413 lb ft of torque, and still has 286 bhp, as opposed to the 335i's 306 bhp and 295 lb ft. The only thing about the 335d is that it is available as an Auto, not sure if this is something you'd like, but I do know this; BMW don't have a manual gearbox that can handle the torque of the 335d, which is why its only an Auto.

My vote is still for the 335i by the way, but I do think it would be well worth trying the 335d if you can find one.

MarkN wrote:
    Goes without saying to get the most you can but for example, I have the full Audi Sat Nav in my car, it's €3k from Audi but I don't think someone will even give me half that. Sure, it's a nice extra to have in the car, adds to the visuals of the dash but not too sure how much of a selling point it is.

I would agree with you in that while sat nav is a nice extra in a car, it is not something I believe that would command a premium on resale.

Nowadays it is possible to buy a very good, portable sat nav system for only €750(and they can often do other things as well like be used for Bluetooh connectivity for a hands free phone), which can be used on any car, compared to the €3k you say the full Audi one costs.

If I were buying a used car in the morning, I wouldn't pay an extra penny for it to have sat nav, unless it were something like an S class/A8 etc, which in any case I would expect to have everything I have thought of and a few things I haven't.

I would have paid extra for sat nav before, but now we have portable sat navs which you can transfer from car to car, and are much cheaper to buy too.

• Advertisement

Well here's the thing - in the A5 I think 2.0T petrol excepted, I think diesel is the way to go, even the sales guy in Grange who I know well enough at this stage said you'd be mad to even consider the 3.2 A5.

They also reckon an S5 that has 100k on the price tag due to extras will lose €20,000 a year for year one and two. :eek:

Now if I were to go BMW, I think I would prefer the petrol, be it 325 or 335.

I would probably prefer to go automatic in this type of car - Audi are the opposite to BMW on the diesel front at the moment, I don't think automatic/ S tronic is available on the diesel yet.

In the A5 the prices are nearly the same for the 3.0 TDI and the 3.2 petrol but like I say, I don't really do diesel kms at all so it would be just for the power of it and the nice economy to go with it - I cycle to work most days - for example, I haven't put petrol into the S3 in nearly 2 weeks and I'm lucky to see 400 kms from a tank in that.

Advertisement