Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

IIMII wrote: »
    No, they just display it on half the food items sold up there

Isn't that proportional representation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Jip wrote: »
    And Marks and Spencers display it on most of the food items sold down here. Your point being ?
    Well having considered how this whole being offended thing works, I have to decided that I find it offensive that the union jack appears on any food products on this island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

rubadub wrote: »
    Feck all difference, and it was for branded goods. I shop in tesco, dunnes & lidl. I get different things in different shops. Most is got in tesco as it is cheapest for what I choose. I like the fact tesco charge more for branded goods, the idiots who buy the likes of brand name bleach at €2 a bottle mean my tesco value bleach can be priced at 29c. You can shop extremely cheaply in tescos, many own brand items are actually cheaper now than they were in the 80's, yet many do not even think of that. The difference in price between brand names and own brands is massive compared to back then.

Tesco have a new low brand range of products out which are around the same price as the "value" range, but far better quality.

The survey shows that Tesco is dearer than both Superquinn and Dunnes with Dunnes being the cheapest. It's no wonder Tesco just announced record profits.....

As Tesco say themselves “every little helps”.

It seems though they were talking about their own profit margin and not their customers grocery bills.

It also said that Lidl / Aldi are the cheapest for non-branded goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

escobar wrote: »
    The survey shows that Tesco is dearer than both Superquinn and Dunnes with Dunnes being the cheapest. .
    Again, on BRANDED goods.
    It's no wonder Tesco just announced record profits.....
    Again, I think that is great they make so much on branded stuff being sold to the ignorant, meaning they can sell other stuff so cheaply and still have great profits.
    It also said that Lidl / Aldi are the cheapest for non-branded goods.
    As I said, I shop in several supermarkets and expect a lot of people do, I also have a good memory for prices, I buy certain things in certain shops where cheapest. I would like to see what non-branded stuff they selected. Take just a 800g loaf of white bread for instance, tesco have value, standard, premium, finest, baked in store, stay fresh, and I think at maybe 2 others. Same with pizzas and loads of other things, beans, nuts etc, they now have about 5 different own brands of similar size cheese & tomato fresh pizza, ranging from about ~90cent to ~€5.
    Cheapest is not always best value either. I also find tesco seem to have more offers on branded stuff, I never really shop with a list so take advantage of these offers, many are phoney offers (i.e. was €5, now €4.95), you just have to watch out. Many of these surveys specifically ignore offers as a rule, that is certainly not the way I shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

has anyone else noticed that all these "I've been reading boards for years but only decided to register today cos this is the first good thread evah" users all have a remarkably similar writing style?

i wonder if they are aware that a Mod could see the IP addresses used to post with? ;)

Are there any mods around to check? :)

okay, so back on topic.

scaremongering aside, I see no evidence of anything other than tesco cutting out the fat lethargic middle man who can't/won't provide value for money, and buying and shipping their Irish stock themselves instead of relying on Irish distributors to supply them.

empty shelves could easily be explained by it taking time for tesco to sort out it's own distribution and an embargo by irish suppliers in an attempt to force tesco to keep using them.

sounds to me like the Irish distributors are either unwilling or unable to provide a competitive price/service to a major retailer.

businesses who are unwilling or unable to adapt to the changing marketplace wither and die, same as in nature. If they can't provide Irish products in the Irish marketplace at a competitive price then they have no business being in business in the first place.

times are hard and people will buy where it's cheapest. i don't see why a company should be any different. it's been said before, but if you don't like that practice then vote with your feet, but I for one will be buying everything I can where I get the best value for my money, be it at a local grocery store, wholesale butchers, up north or online. atthe moment, it isn't tescos, but if it ever was, i'd buy from them no problem.

the people that deserve to be in business because they offer the best value will get my money and the lazy suppliers who got fat from creaming it off the public during the celtic tiger years can either start offering good value products or go out of business for all I care and all the name calling and hollow (allegedly) patriotic flag waving in the world isn't going to stop me.

/rant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It's no wonder Tesco just announced record profits.....

If you are referring to Tesco Ireland then yes they have announced profits this year. This purely down to new supermarkets open during the last year. If these are taken out of the equation there would have announced losses this year on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is nothing offensive about a GAA jersey, which is not to say that an offensive person may not sometimes wear one. So if gurriers wear runners, then someone collecting cannot wear runners. The proposition here is that a GAA jersey is offensive whereas other sports garb isn't. That is simple discrimination. A team should be able to wear their own kit in their own town without condition. One wonders if you can object to bag packers wearing turbans and whatnot.

I can hardly believe they got away with this. Absolute disgrace.

tech2 wrote: »
    If you are referring to Tesco Ireland then yes they have announced profits this year. This purely down to new supermarkets open during the last year. If these are taken out of the equation there would have announced losses this year on last year.
    did I not hear that they weren't legally obliged to break it down into how much was profits in Ireland so they didn't differentiate between what was on the mainland, north and republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yes, you're correct. But people seem to forget, or just plainly ignore, the fact that neither do Dunnes, Lidl or Aldi, not sure about the smaller players. In fact I'm not even sure if Dunnes announce any figures at all, don't think they do.

And when you say mainland, are we not already on the mainland or are you posting from one of the many dotted islands around us ;)

Jip wrote: »
    And when you say mainland, are we not already on the mainland or are you posting from one of the many dotted islands around us ;)
    i was talking in 'Tesco' terms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

dont buy their maggot infested quick dinners , the sauces are full of rodents excriment .as reported in papers in uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

dont buy their maggot infested quick dinners , the sauces are full of rodents excriment .as reported in papers in uk

I bought some of their rodent excriment and it had a 6 pack of Stella in it. Imagine my shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Brenan wrote: »
    Tesco ARE removing Irish brands from their stores. By the way, Keating, this is my first post as it’s the first time I have felt strongly enough about something to get on and write a post

A week since this thread was started and not one single verified report of a single product removed from shelves in Tesco Ireland....

ch750536 wrote: »
    I bought some of their rodent excriment and it had a 6 pack of Stella in it. Imagine my shock.

Should have gone for the Ratatouille for the wholesome rodent goodness that he was talking about..

excrement and a six pack of p1ss then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Irish Times

Irish Independent

Border stores & Douglas Extra for a trial period then, if successful, the rest of the country.

So, loads of apologies to the OP then eh guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not a chance, they just will quietly ignore the facts.
    It won't stop them coming out shouting the odds next time though.:rolleyes:

The OP should have come up with the "goods", so to speak, on day 1, but he didn't. Many people asked for brand details and didn't get any.

Tesco's Tuesday announcement should be interesting, to see how they're going to avoid shooting themselves in both feet.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The OP should have come up with the "goods", so to speak, on day 1, but he didn't. Many people asked for brand details and didn't get any.

Tesco's Tuesday announcement should be interesting, to see how they're going to avoid shooting themselves in both feet.

Did it matter that he name brands? He said it was going to happen and it looks like he was right.
    The OP had inside info working for an Irish manufacturer maybe they didn't want to be identified by naming the brands his company makes? Maybe he didn't know the exact brands that are going to be downgraded or replaced?
    Would the one-post pointers outters have believed him if he'd said Barrys Tea or whatever?
    Too many people shot him down, IMO.

• Advertisement

gambiaman wrote: »
    Did it matter that he name brands? He said it was going to happen and it looks like he was right.
    The OP had inside info working for an Irish manufacturer maybe they didn't want to be identified by naming the brands his company makes? Maybe he didn't know the exact brands that are going to be downgraded or replaced?
    Would the one-post pointers outters have believed him if he'd said Barrys Tea or whatever?
    Too many people shot him down, IMO.

Yes, naming brands does matter, that's a given. He also said that it was already happening and he wouldn't have been giving anything personal away by letting us know specifically what had been removed from the shelves. It would have been something that any eagle-eyed consumer would have noticed.

I was sitting on the fence patiently waiting for some proof, and it never arrived. Most of the critics just wanted the same proof, whereas others decided to go on the offensive.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you.
    He didn't name his company's brands because that could be identifiable, IMO.

And the logistics around this kind of change in supply demands that existing branded stock is rundown, redistributed to other areas a while before the stores affected actually rollout the new planogram, whic according to the IT is next Tuesday.

I wonder are any of the border stores opening tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I still disagree with the OP. Tesco are removing a range of brands from the shelves and replacing with lower price goods.

They are not specifically removing Irish brands but there will probably be Irish brands amonst all the brands being removed.

It is also currently only specific to border counties & one cork store mainly to compete with NI & also to test the reaction where NI is of no consequence.

Basically they are saying they are losing loads of business to NI due to price differences and due to big price differences people have loast brand loyalty, therefore they will give southern shoppers that same choice as NI at the same prices and see if it goes down well.

The OP is suggesting that just Irish brands are being withdrawn when it is more a general reconfiguration of the store & if certain Irish /International brands cannot compete on price then they're out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Would you not have the good grace grace to concede the point when the OP's point has been shown to be valid? The full extent of the changes will become obvious before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

darc wrote: »
    I still disagree with the OP. Tesco are removing a range of brands from the shelves and replacing with lower price goods.

They are not specifically removing Irish brands but there will probably be Irish brands amonst all the brands being removed.

It is also currently only specific to border counties & one cork store mainly to compete with NI & also to test the reaction where NI is of no consequence.

Basically they are saying they are losing loads of business to NI due to price differences and due to big price differences people have loast brand loyalty, therefore they will give southern shoppers that same choice as NI at the same prices and see if it goes down well.

The OP is suggesting that just Irish brands are being withdrawn when it is more a general reconfiguration of the store & if certain Irish /International brands cannot compete on price then they're out.

Dangerous thinking. We are going to have to lower wages all over the country to make Irish food competitive then.

Darc is in the errr, dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

noodler wrote: »
    Dangerous thinking. We are going to have to lower wages all over the country to make Irish food competitive then.
    That might not be the worst thing, that is gonna be the major advantage of this recession in my opinion, regaining out lost competitiveness.
    I think thats one of the reasons they didn't drop the vat in the budget last month because they knew shops could afford to drop prices more and reduce their profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

noodler wrote: »

and the penny drops! The ROI is overpriced to the tune of about 20%, for years this was concealed by the rising standards of living and the exchange rate but now the reality is starting to dawn. We are way too expensive but
    still doing our best to pretend otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just re-read the OP's first post
    He seems to got the news story accurate

Well done OP, shame on the rest of ye!
    Brenan wrote: »
    On the George Hook radio show yesterday, Dermot Breen – Corporate Affairs Director of Tesco Ireland clearly said that Tesco are not currently removing Irish brands from their stores and replacing them with International brands, however this is in fact happening now.

Maybe some journo will take up Dermot Breen on this issue?

Advertisement