Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone rememeber these shoes..

• 11-06-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi ladies

I heard someone on the radio today mention Clarkes communion shoes that came with a key...I cant remember anything more about them but it certainly sounds familiar.. Anyone remember these?

Yes they did exist ..they were fab...... But I did not get them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Was it these bad boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Eviltwin just beat me too it. I don't remember them personally, but they look cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I had a pair! Loved them for the week i had them but the sole was too soft and mam took them back because they hard worn down too much :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Loved my princess shoes! I wanted to be the girl in the ad.
    There was a game in the sole of the shoe I think?
    And the key worn as a necklace if memory serves correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

bluewolf wrote: »

I totally remember that ad!! :eek::eek::eek:I wanted those shoes sooooo bad (didn't get them - had to wear crisp packets for shoes in the 80s -Dunnes Multipack crisp wrappers). Gas how 80s it looks but I didn't realise it then...obviously :-/. They don't make ads like THAT anymore! NO sirrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Magic steps :D Yes I had a pair :D Totally remember that ad too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Well that has triggered a very vague memory!I remember shoes with a key but not sure if they were mine. Was there a lock inside the shoe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Claudette

I remember wanting them very badly because *all* the other girls had them, but for some reason I can't remember actually getting them - or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

My memory is a bit sketchy on this but I think I might have had a hand me down pair.

I have a vague memory of black shoes with something on the sole. I'm sure if there ever was a key, it was long gone before they were passed on to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I always wanted a pair but never got them. One girl in my class had them but her family were fairly well off, so the rest of us peasants just had to be jealous of her fabulous shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Well I'm from a provincial town and 25-30 years ago there was only 1 shop in which you could buy shoes and clothes so Clarks were the only option!
    And I'm still weirdly loyal to the brand to this day!
    The ad worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I had a pair of these in black patent leather with a t-bar. They had a little clear bubble in the sole on the heel that had a picture in it. I think the pictures were different fairy tales. They also came with a little silver key that was a brooch. My friend and I used to pretend the key turned a secret lock in the heel that made our shoes have invisible high heels. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh I wanted those shoes so bad but I had some problem with my ankles or something so I was only allowed good sturdy shoes with proper support not silly princess shoes. Still sad about it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I had them in white for my communion. There was a clear bit in the base of the heel that was filled with magic of some sort (probably, or glitter). There was a key on a necklace too that I used to keep with my treasures in my swan shaped keeper. I loved the shoes but because they were white I got all obsessed with keeping them nice- polishing them and putting them away in their box. I only used to wear them going to mass or somewhere special so I didn't wear them that often before I grew out of them. I cried when they got too small. Should have just trashed them and enjoyed them every day!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I had them in white for my communion. There was a clear bit in the base of the heel that was filled with magic of some sort (probably, or glitter). There was a key on a necklace too that I used to keep with my treasures in my swan shaped keeper. I loved the shoes but because they were white I got all obsessed with keeping them nice- polishing them and putting them away in their box. I only used to wear them going to mass or somewhere special so I didn't wear them that often before I grew out of them. I cried when they got too small. Should have just trashed them and enjoyed them every day!

Theres an important early lesson there about enjoying nice things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had white ones for my communion! Then they were dyed navy for school..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Oh I wanted those shoes so bad but I had some problem with my ankles or something so I was only allowed good sturdy shoes with proper support not silly princess shoes. Still sad about it! :p

Lol me too, 'cept I had stupid fat feet.

I wanted them soooooo bad. I'm not even girly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thank you for the awesome flashback!

"MAGIC SHOOOOS!?!?"

:eek:

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Awww, I yearned for these shoes! But being smack bang in the middle of a large family the only items I didnt get as hand-me-downs was my communion knickers.

Twas Dunnes shoes all the way. Back when Dunnes made Pennys look quality.

Anyone remember the Dunnes own-brand mini-pizza's? Thought we were so cool having pizza like the yanks on de tellybox. :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don’t remember those shoes at all – when were they around? The only shoes that I remember wanting were the runners with the soles that lit up when you walked, but then again I was a bit of a tomboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Scarinae wrote: »
    I don’t remember those shoes at all – when were they around? The only shoes that I remember wanting were the runners with the soles that lit up when you walked, but then again I was a bit of a tomboy

well i am 25 so in and around then

shalalala wrote: »
    well i am 25 so in and around then

And I'm 39 and they were around in my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Yes!!! I had a pair in black ....ah good memories.....I think I pestered my mother about them until I got a pair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Anyone remember the Dunnes own-brand mini-pizza's? Thought we were so cool having pizza like the yanks on de tellybox. :pac:[/QUOTE]

Nope don't remember them but I do remember their freeze pops, they used to do packets of 10.....the blueberry/ fruit one was my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Neyite wrote: »

Anyone remember the Dunnes own-brand mini-pizza's? Thought we were so cool having pizza like the yanks on de tellybox. :pac:

They were so bad :) You could use them as flying saucers as I remember though, they were rock hard when they came out of the over (at least when we got them). Weren't they just cheese and tomato sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

littlelulu wrote: »
    Well that has triggered a very vague memory!I remember shoes with a key but not sure if they were mine. Was there a lock inside the shoe?

I was obsessed with getting these shoes wanted them in white but the local shoe shop was sold out of them so got the pale pink colour they were really cute actually. Got a key shaped brooch with them and stickers. Loved the ads with the princess

I remember the ad, but don't remember if I ever had a pair, or even if I wanted a pair. The puzzle in the sole sounds kind of familiar. The key doesn't. I'd have to ask my ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I wanted thoese shoes so bad as a little girl I even remember trying them on in the shoe shop and been so happy with them.....................................................
    until my mother refused to buy them. I was gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

50281_73179634204_2027383_n.jpeg

These are the ones I had! But in white. And not patent.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I always wanted a pair of those shoes. My two friends had them. Pretty sure they were way out of budget

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I always wanted a pair of those shoes. My two friends had them. Pretty sure they were way out of budget

• Advertisement

They were so bad :) You could use them as flying saucers as I remember though, they were rock hard when they came out of the over (at least when we got them). Weren't they just cheese and tomato sauce?

Yep, they were basically edible card with a scrape of tomato puree and a sprinkle of cheap cheese on top. They were a treat for us. We didnt get anything resembling takeaways or fast food in our house.

God, they were awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My Grandma used to cook those pizzas for us when we were little, except she'd never eaten an actual pizza in her life so had no idea what they were supposed to be like, also she was worried we'd get food poisoning if they were undercooked.

So she cooked them under the grill until they were dark brown/black on top and nice and warm at the bottom.

Deeelicious :D

Yep, they were basically edible card with a scrape of tomato puree and a sprinkle of cheap cheese on top. They were a treat for us. We didnt get anything resembling takeaways or fast food in our house.

God, they were awful.

Same here. The first time I was ever in a McDonalds was on a school tour and I couldn't believe they expected us to have that as dinner!! I remember the teachers slagging me saying I must be used to good food.

We did get the very VERY odd bag of chipper chips but that was it.

B0jangles wrote: »
    My Grandma used to cook those pizzas for us when we were little, except she'd never eaten an actual pizza in her life so had no idea what they were supposed to be like, also she was worried we'd get food poisoning if they were undercooked.

So she cooked them under the grill until they were dark brown/black on top and nice and warm at the bottom.

Deeelicious :D

Our local chipper used to do "pizza" back in the 90s. Now, the bases and ingredients were all bought in frozen, and the bases had that sort of styrofoam texture (like the boxes they came in). They were nearly like the ones you used to be able to assemble yourself in Supervalu, only worse. But even though I now know how terrible they were, sometimes I still get a nostalgic craving for them :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

God, they were awful.

They were not!!! I loved them! We had them for lunch 1 Saturday a month :D Burnt to a crisp on the top and you'd scald the roof of your mouth on them.

• Advertisement

Lucyfur wrote: »
    They were not!!! I loved them! We had them for lunch 1 Saturday a month :D Burnt to a crisp on the top and you'd scald the roof of your mouth on them.

Oh yeah, forgot about the burnt mouth. At the time they were dead swanky, bless our innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Same here. The first time I was ever in a McDonalds was on a school tour and I couldn't believe they expected us to have that as dinner!! I remember the teachers slagging me saying I must be used to good food.

We did get the very VERY odd bag of chipper chips but that was it.
    We never went to the chipper. We always went to my grandparent's for a few weeks in the summer, and one year we got food from the chipper. When I went back to school for homework we had to write about what we did for the summer. I wrote about the chipper (because it was so exciting!) and my dad made me re-write it!

/not snobs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh yeah, forgot about the burnt mouth. At the time they were dead swanky, bless our innocence.
    Jesus, I used to love those. I've a hankering for one now. It definitely sparked my insistence than anything topped with cheese should be a bit overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

I wore those shoes for my Communion!

ash777 wrote: »
    I wore those shoes for my Communion!
    *jealous rage*

:pac:

Advertisement