Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience of loneliness being a carer?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

My DH is long term ill with a heart condition, arthritis and diabetes to name but a few. This happened nearly six years ago and for the past two years I have become his carer.

I love my DH very much but it just hit me lately that one by one or bit by bit his friends and even my own have just stopped keeping in touch, no calls or texts or emails. I know we all have busy lives (we have a young child so that keeps me busy also) I'm not sure how it affects DH but it occurred to me that life or my own life is becoming extremely lonely.

As carers have any of you experienced isolation or loneliness. I know I should try and get out a bit more but I don't like leaving DH alone for too long.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Yes, yes and yes. It's a real problem for carers.

What is the worst that could happen if you took a bit of time out for yourself regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 outdoorsdan

I'm so glad I found your thread ... does no-one talk about this much or have i missed it.
    Loneliness is driving me nuts. My wife has MS and its progressing, we have young kids and a busy house. Its hard to explain how you feel lonely in this situation but I do and more so as time passes. The illness consumes almost everything else.
    I don't have an answer for you, recently I have made some time for myself and while that helps I still feel i need something more, a connection to grab onto.
    Talk to me, maybe it will help ?

angeleyes wrote: »
    My DH is long term ill with a heart condition, arthritis and diabetes to name but a few. This happened nearly six years ago and for the past two years I have become his carer.

I love my DH very much but it just hit me lately that one by one or bit by bit his friends and even my own have just stopped keeping in touch, no calls or texts or emails. I know we all have busy lives (we have a young child so that keeps me busy also) I'm not sure how it affects DH but it occurred to me that life or my own life is becoming extremely lonely.

As carers have any of you experienced isolation or loneliness. I know I should try and get out a bit more but I don't like leaving DH alone for too long.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Hi outdoorsdan

love the user name and by reading your post it sounds like you don't get much time to enjoy the outdoors. Seeing as we have this tread to ourselves outdoorsdan we can chat to each other. :)

I have been better of late, last week I was involved with Special Olympics in Limerick and it was a brilliant week but my being away did take its toll on DH. Even today he told me that he has felt more and more that his body is just giving up.

What I also find hard to deal with is that DH is angry that he got sick and this has a knock on effect on me and our DD in that he snaps at us and takes it out on us. Most of the time its water of a duck's back but there are days and it does hurt and even though I tell him this, its fine until the next time iykwim.

Everyone focuses on the sick person and asks how they are but no one ever thinks to ask "how are you coping?" :confused:

hi angeleyes,

glad to hear you're feeling better. from my experience its cyclical, i go from managing and feeling fine to feeling sad, sorry for myself, resentful sometimes (if i'm really honest), selfish for feeling all the previous ones and then back to fine again ! Its exhausting.
    you sound like you're keeping busy and with good worthy causes too which is great ... it's hard but you really need to look after yourself mentally as well as physically.

i have found loneliness to be heart breaking at times. (I know some people will say that's so selfish when i'm not the one dealing with the illness, but that's how i feel) Almost every thing i do feels a little off because my gorgeous wife is not there to share it with me. the evenings can be long. also to be honest the lack of intimacy and affection hurt. ha now i feel selfish again and so the cycle continues ..

its nice to talk to someone in a similar position..
    anyway, great weather we're having ... hope it keeps up..

: )

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Hi guys, as Frito said earlier, "yes, yes and yes"! And it's a problem for all of us who are carers, no matter what age we are. Well meaning enquiries about the patient sometimes end up with an afterthought "and how are you coping yourself?" but it's generally with one foot already outside the door and no time for genuine interest in the answer. It doesn't make people unkind, it just reinforces the differences between those who are getting on with their lives and those who are stuck and waving goodbye to their own.

It's really tough and can be quite depressing too, especially when your charge is safely tucked up in bed and you finally get to sit down and catch your breath. That can be the time when a chat and a hug would go a long way but there's no one there to share your thoughts with and even if there IS someone with you, they may not really want to hear it. I find these days that a lot of people speak like machine gun fire, their words filling every single second, effectively closing off any opportunity to speak yourself - they also anticipate what you might be trying to say and finish your sentences for you, OFTEN incorrectly. These people tend not to listen anyway and rather than giving in to the urge to strangle them, which isn't legal yet, I now try to find a way to appreciate my own company and value the little bits of so-called "me time" by doing something that gives me pleasure - in my case it's usually baking or knitting and crochet but it can be anything that you like to do yourself. I know it's no substitute for the companionship and intimacies we are losing but it can help to preserve the sanity, for a while anyway! And what we really long for, the company of loved ones and close friends, will come, even if it takes a while.

Just try not to "lose the faith" so to speak, and as you have thankfully discovered, there are pen pals here who REALLY know what you're going through. :)

• Advertisement

janmaree wrote: »
    it just reinforces the differences between those who are getting on with their lives and those who are stuck and waving goodbye to their own.

This is the crucial part for me.
    I don't resent the people I'm caring for, they're my family so of course I'll care for them. But I do resent the situation we're in.

Although the thread title is about loneliness, it doesn't really quite describe how I feel sometimes. I do have friends that will offer to sit with my family so I can "just go out for a coffee" (like I can afford to waste carers allowance in a coffee shop when I have it at home!). What I really wanted was for me to be able to enjoy my own company at home by myself - ie they come and take my family out and I stay at home! But to do this regularly rather than when it pops into their heads.

I guess my problem is I feel alone in caring, rather than lonely in caring.

Frito, I spent quite some time thinking about your last post and honestly, it was a bit like reading my own diary, if you know what I mean!

I don't want to be sent out from my own home to "take a break and enjoy myself" either and it's having to bite my tongue so often trying to be gracious about such kind but clueless offers of help that drives me loopy. Another one that makes me crazy is "you're not alone you know, we're just at the end of the phone".......yeah, so long as they're not all gone away together on holidays, or out for dinner or away for the weekend or better still, on the flippin' golf course where the phone has to be turned off altogether. There are also the assurances that I can call them anytime at all, day or night.........HAH! These people are well meaning and their hearts are in the right place, it's just the brain that's slipping into neutral when they make all these generous offers of support that they only see from their perspective, not ours.

I do note from your post though that the family member/s that you care for would appear to be sufficiently mobile to actually go on outings which sadly mine is not but is there any way that you could get a day or two a week where they go to a day centre? If you talk to the doctor or the district nurse and tell them straight that you can't continue indefinitely like this and that you all need some time apart, I feel sure that they will look into it. Some of the day centres actually collect and return them which would give you some time alone, on a routine basis that you can depend on to rest up or take care of some personal chores that always get long-fingered when our charges come first or simply, whatever you want to do. All parties concerned need you to be well and reasonably happy in your role and that doesn't happen when you feel under a compliment to those who can't or won't commit to a routine that helps you.

I hope you look into it, even if you have done in the past and didn't get far, it's still worth being a squeaky wheel once in a while. I hope you'll let us know how you get on because you deserve it, we all do.

Thanks Jan, my post was more 'in an ideal world...' scenario as outings/day centres are not feasible.

It's not so much the getting out and about that's the issue. You know yourself when you've had one of those days or weeks where bills have come in (in your carees' names) that you have to sort, repeat prescriptions that have been mismanaged by GP/chemist...having to attend in person or ring up to sort this out, being caught out by data protection which takes no account of varying capabilities of the person concerned, the dinner needs cooking and your two carees need the toilet at the same time- who do you hoist first and who will mind the dinner whilst you're doing this? stupid district nurses that won't unblock a catheter due to their own red tape so you have to wait three hours for an ambulance and your other caree is left at home alone whilst you go into hospital with the first, friggin care agencies that change the times of calls without prior notification and then BOTH agencies turn up at once so personal care is half-done and who is left to fix it all?
    Ah yes, the informal carer.

It obviously doesn't happen all the time, but it's often enough and when it does happen it's misleading of me to say I feel alone...I actually am alone in caring. Like every other carer. If ONLY services could streamline and do their job properly! That would help me more than this 'why don't you go out for a coffee?' line that seems to be the panacea for all carers as imagined by those who don't understand what we do, having never done it themselves.

Anyway I'm turning this into a 'poor me' exercise, which I really don't want, so rant over.

Frito, I hear you and I get it. I so, so get it. :rolleyes: And as far as ranting goes, I think anyone who takes the trouble to check out this particular forum will not so much read a rant as learn a few things instead. None of us in this situation gets any training or hands on experience prior to caring for our loved ones so anything that we can share here, is valuable beyond price. For example, my Dad is in hospital at the moment and IF he recovers well enough to come home again, his mobility is sure to be through the floor and a hoist will be in our equation for the first time. Now that I know you already deal with it, I may come back to pick your brains, if you don't mind that is. :)

I think this thread is a great one and thanks to the OP for raising the subject. I just wish more people like us knew it was here, there's a lot we can learn from one another and much moral support to offer.

Slim pickings in my brain but glad to help if I can.

• Advertisement

hey just checked back here .... we are not alone : )
    aint that something anyway ?

to me there are two sides to this, the practical stuff ... beds / chairs / toilets / hoists / bills / prescriptions and all the physical stuff etc and then the emotional stuff, loneliness, sadness , fear etc
    for me if I'm ok emotionally ie feel loved and wanted then I can handle the practical side no probs...
    when the emotional bank is weak the pressure is on !

hope you all have a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Just came across this thread, I taught we were the only ones our son has special needs and i am this carer , i get so lonely at times.
    I am only in my early 40s so should be living live to the full. All my friends have slowly disappeared there are two that I might meet up with maybe twice a year but they are always busy with doing proper family stuff.
    My wife works full time so at least gets to talk to other adults , some weeks I might not speak to another adult apart from my wife.
    I have tried the usual clubs and stuff but never seem to fit in.
    I have now noticed that my wife's circle of friends has started to get dramaticly smaller over the last few years.
    Sorry for the rant. ..

hi,
    what are you passionate about ? identify that and make time ...
    hopefully its something you can do with others.
    when you get isolated it can be hard to make the effort to meet others, its worth it, do it.
    joining clubs to meet people would not work for me either. do what your passionate about and meeting people with similar interests will follow... its the right way round.
    d

harr wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, I taught we were the only ones our son had special needs and i am this carer , i get so lonely at times.
    I am only in my early 40s so should be living live to the full. All my friends have slowly disappeared there are two that I might meet up with maybe twice a year but they are always busy with doing proper family stuff.
    My wife works full time so at least gets to talk to other adults , some weeks I might not speak to another adult apart from my wife.
    I have now noticed that my wife's circle of friends has started to get dramaticly smaller over the last few years.
    Sorry for the rant. ..

harr wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, I taught we were the only ones our son had special needs and i am this carer , i get so lonely at times.
    Sorry for the rant. ..

harr rant away and I totally see where you are coming from. It is hard to get out here. But is there a hobby you are interested in? Photography was and is my lifeline and I know I can round up a friend or two to go out on landscape shoot. But it is not easy at times to organise.

What has upset me a lot is that my DH's friends have stopped calling or even sending an email or a text. I got him into Facebook and that worked for a while but he isn't bothered. Even DH's own family don't bother to ring that often to see how he is. Its like its my problem deal with it.

harr we are here to support you and chat any time you need.

Thanks for replying ,love photography my self and do head up to the city the odd day with my camera ,no clubs near me though.
    The upsetting thing is how quick friends drop off the radar ,have friends I know for over 20 years who I have no contact with now.
    My wife and I had so many plans about retiring to the sun and traveling the world when the kids had flown the nest,then life throw us this curve ball.
    I feel so guilty about how bitter I feel sometimes.

harr - delighted to meet another photographer :) its a great hobby.

Are you on Facebook at all? There are various photography area pages there were people show their images for critique and there is flickr and there is a photography forum here as well.

I feel your pain - its hard not to feel bitter. When I meet people its all about how is DH and while its nice that they asked - what about me? I am the one who has to deal with him when he is in pain and is angry and I bear the brunt of it. I feel so jealous of friends who don't have any issues and go about their lives normally whereas I have to plan ahead, does DH need a wheelchair? is he able for a holiday etc.

I am lucky I have some good friends but when I go out to meet them I don't talk too much about my situation as I want for those few hours to forget.

Can you get any respite care for your son? Is there not a residential home that could give you a break for a weekend away or anything like that? There must be options.

Belated greetings harr, I'm sorry to read of the difficulties you are experiencing. I guess if there were easy answers there'd be no need for this forum, I think each one of us feels our way around for a long time before we realise just how much things have changed and how lonely and isolated we have become. I got my first real break in nearly a decade a couple of months ago and I found myself wandering around the empty house like a lost soul, no idea what to do with myself! Then I put my back out and used the remaining 10 days to sit on a bunch of pillows which was the only comfortable position I could find! :(

That aside, I just wondered if you had looked into the Carers Association yet? I had visited their website in the past but a very sweet social worker sent me a copy of their handbook and I was amazed at the range of help and support that they offer. The handbook is very well worth reading, lots of practical tips about how to be necessarily selfish sometimes and it is clear that they know all about what carers need in order to survive. They offer some respite care but there may be waiting lists, training, support groups and even a shoulder to cry on if it comes to that!

Take a look at their website, jot down their number and give them a call. You just never know where it might lead. Hope this helps. I wish you all the best for now. J.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's good to know I am not the only one on the same road....I just joined the carers association last week so will contact them next week regarding there handbook. We currently get one nights break every month when my sister stays over, we go out to cinema or dinner and stay in my sisters house so we get a full nights break.

Advertisement