Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tk123 wrote: »
    Bloody hell I don't think I'm brave enough to add it up!! :D I do spend a lot on him especially with him going to daycare twice a week and hydro for months to get him built up for his op but I've made adjustments to allow for it - eg I take my lunch to work, I gave up coffees - (5 x coffee = €15 = 1 daycare day), I tend to buy say the shower gel, shampoo etc that's on offer to save, I buy trays of coke in Tescos so they work out at 40c instead of 90cent from the machine etc etc So basically I slum it and he get's pampered haha! :pac: :pac:

I do the same!
    I even changed the car to a diesel one to save, TK try the couponing thread in bargain alerts ;) saved €14 couple of weeks back and all on stuff I actually use, rather than some of the crap thats on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:pac::pac::pac:

179665.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well Flo is gone in to the vet college tonight for her operation tomorrow:( They are doing a new procedure called a TTA, its a newer procedure than the TPLO.
    Hopefully ill have her back Wednesday or thursday at the latest, then we start the long road to recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

andreac wrote: »
    Well Flo is gone in to the vet college tonight for her operation tomorrow:( They are doing a new procedure called a TTA, its a newer procedure than the TPLO.
    Hopefully ill have her back Wednesday or thursday at the latest, then we start the long road to recovery.

Fingers crossed for Flo tomorrow, hope it all goes well.

Good luck!! Our first week has flown in! Can't wait to get that bandage off next week - it has my heart broken!! It's slipped down a little with him moving around so the wadding/cotton wool behind the top edge of the splint slid down too - i've had to put cotton wool behind the splint and then do a patch job with bandage and vet wrap twice now to keep it all in place so the splint doesn't rub against his baldy leg and cut into him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Best of luck, hope she does well. Poor Flo:(

Good luck!! Our first week has flown in! Can't wait to get that bandage off next week - it has my heart broken!! It's slipped down a little with him moving around so the wadding/cotton wool behind the top edge of the splint slid down too - i've had to put cotton wool behind the splint and then do a patch job with bandage and vet wrap twice now to keep it all in place so the splint doesn't rub against his baldy leg and cut into him!

Awh poor Bailey, sounds bit messy alright. Flo wont have a bandage on. Oh thats what i wanted to ask you, was it yourself that got one of those special soft collars instead of the big lampshade ones?

Or do you know where i could get one? Thanks

Oh thats what i wanted to ask you, was it yourself that got one of those special soft collars instead of the big lampshade ones?

Or do you know where i could get one? Thanks

Yeah I tried the inflatable Comfy Collar one but it didn't really restrict him - he used it more as a neck pillow like he was on a plane lol! :pac: Maybe his neck is too long/the wound was too far down his leg for it to really work - considering he's still able to scratch his ear with the bandaged leg lol:pac:? I even got the next size down because the large one was too big but it was still the same - he was able to reach it. I ended up just put a light dressing over it for a few days after the stitches came out to discourage him and kept telling him to leave it and he got the message. His leave it is pretty good these days so we'll see what happens next week!! I can post the large one to you if you want to try it - it's too big for Bailey anyways so no use to us?

My baba! My first day leaving at home with my mum - but I know he'll be fine. He actually licked my face the other day when I came back from Tescos - he licks other people's faces but never mine lol :D

Yeah I tried the inflatable Comfy Collar one but it didn't really restrict him - he used it more as a neck pillow like he was on a plane lol! :pac: Maybe his neck is too long/the wound was too far down his leg for it to really work - considering he's still able to scratch his ear with the bandaged leg lol:pac:? I even got the next size down because the large one was too big but it was still the same - he was able to reach it. I ended up just put a light dressing over it for a few days after the stitches came out to discourage him and kept telling him to leave it and he got the message. His leave it is pretty good these days so we'll see what happens next week!! I can post the large one to you if you want to try it - it's too big for Bailey anyways so no use to us?

My baba! My first day leaving at home with my mum - but I know he'll be fine. He actually licked my face the other day when I came back from Tescos - he licks other people's faces but never mine lol :D

Oh that would be great, thanks a mill. I can try it and see how she gets on with it and if it doesnt work i can give it back to you then.

Ah thats great, Bailey sounds like hes taking it all in his stride, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :)

:(:( Well my little baba isn't doing so well without out me there this morning - barking and crying!! I called and could hear him in the background stressing out - I have no cover in work so can't go home to him :( Hopefully he just needs to go to the loo - my mum is going to take him out now and see if he calms down!

• Advertisement

:(:( Well my little baba isn't doing so well without out me there this morning - barking and crying!! I called and could hear him in the background stressing out - I have no cover in work so can't go home to him :( Hopefully he just needs to go to the loo - my mum is going to take him out now and see if he calms down!

WOW i'm stressed out! :(
    :( He didn't settle until around 4.00! He was fine until around 10 this morning, heard a car or something outside and started barking and crying with separation anxiety. He wouldn't lie down or take treats or anything so with him being on his feet all day the bandage bunched up even more so we had to go to the vets and get a new one.. our vet was finished for the day so we went to the other vet - he's normally fine with our vet would maybe give one growl but then be ok so we usually stick to the one vet.. Anyhoos he was anxious of the other vet and backed into the corner ..she wanted to take him in the back and get a nurse to help but i asked if i could stay with him (twice) as he was anxious...cue our vet sticking her head around the corner and he started to growl - maybe it was the two of them in the room or it reminded him of last week or something i don't know... Anyhoos the other vet made me muzzle him, we had to lift him on his side while she bandaged him and he was really stressed ;( He was handled roughly (imo) by a vet last year and developed all these fears of the vets - i feel awful now putting him thru it again cos he was so stressed and afraid! :(

EDIT - Update for today is that he's much more settled - THANK GOD!!! Sake and I panicked yesterday and got a dap pluging and kalm aid liquid to see if they'd help - at least I got them online and didn't pay extorsion prices here lol!! Last year I took a blanket off my bed when he wasn't settling and he went asleep with it - I remembered that this morning so did the same thing and he seemed to like it. I'll have another funny pic of him when I get home - I got little kiddy socks with the non-slip stuff on them to go over the end of the bandage in penneys earlier :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Phoenix has discovered a way to get onto the kitchen table. He doesn't see a problem with it and happily stands up there wagging his tail when caught. I really wish he'd have the decency to look sorry when he's in trouble.

I stacked chairs around to try discourage him doing it, left the room for 5 mins and walked back in to find him sitting among the stacked chairs on the table eating a candle :eek:

I'm just in from work, I started at 9pm last night, so I'm really tired. Bad foster mother that I am, I just took the candle off him and am now going to bed. We will tackle the table problem in about 2 hours when I get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Is Phoenix back?? I must have missed a chapter somewhere! and what sort of crazy shifts are you working??:eek:

hope thers no reprocussions form that candle.

TK did you say you took Bailey swimming? where do you go? I brought our 2 to CCC in Kildare the other day and my god they had a great time....we all did actually! What a pool they have! great facilities.
    Anyway for the first time EVER both dogs were unconscious going home in the jeep.

Are you all counting down you're crate rest!!!!

How did Flo's op go?

Yeah he was swimming at the beach and doing hydro at Sharpwells (2 mins from DogsTrust) for a few months leading up to the OP to build him up but to be safe won't be able to go back until the end of Jan when the gap in the bone will have filled in and he's allowed off lead again - Jan 17th to be exact lol!! :D He's doing great. I've been giving him Kalm Aid in the morning before I go to work and spraying some DAP in the crate - I don't know if it's a co-incidence but he's been fine again in the crate since wed morning. His bandages come off on Tues so can't wait to get a look at his new leg!

Hey ppink, Flo's op went really well. Shes home since last night as it took her a day to put weight on the leg.

She just seems quite tired but is in great form but knows that she has to mind herself which is good. The leg looks really well, it has a plaster over the wound so i cant see the stitches at the moment.

Shes on strict crate rest for 6 weeks first, then goes back for an x-ray to see how she is getting on and then we go from there.

I have her in a crate in the sitting room with me at the moment so shes not on her own in the kitchen in her big one. Cooper is gone to Scotland with my friends to a show there. I decided not to go and stay at home to mind Flo, i didnt want to leave her. I have a feeling i might have to sleep on the couch if she starts crying tonight, as she will be on her own in the kitchen :(

ppink wrote: »
    Is Phoenix back?? I must have missed a chapter somewhere! and what sort of crazy shifts are you working??:eek:

hope thers no reprocussions form that candle.

Yes, he's actually back a few weeks now but we were letting the dust settle before saying anything. It's not the first time he's robbed a candle. This time it was only a little tea light rather than a pillar one so I'm sure he'll be fine.

I do 12 hour overnights but it takes me a while to get home afterwards.

Tonight though, K is going out so it's me, the two boys, a big cheesy pasta dinner, bottle of wine and the TV. I LOVE friday nights.

Anybody doing anything more exciting than vegging on the couch?
    TK did you say you took Bailey swimming? where do you go? I brought our 2 to CCC in Kildare the other day and my god they had a great time....we all did actually! What a pool they have! great facilities.
    Anyway for the first time EVER both dogs were unconscious going home in the

What is CCC?
    I have her in a crate in the sitting room with me at the moment so shes not on her own in the kitchen in her big one. Cooper is gone to Scotland with my friends to a show there. I decided not to go and stay at home to mind Flo, i didnt want to leave her. I have a feeling i might have to sleep on the couch if she starts crying tonight, as she will be on her own in the kitchen :(

Ah I'm glad to hear she's doing well. I know she's probably missing Cooper but I bet she's also delighted to have you to herself :)

CCC is canine country club- its near Sallins. If you have never been it is a great day for the dogs. especially as ours cant be walked much the swimming in the pool was brilliant for them. They have a fairly big pool with ramps down into it and wet suits for the owners! pool is heated too:)

well at least it was only a tealight Phoenix took!! we once had a dog who took an entire goose from the counter:p, not much left by morning except one stuffed doggie.

Glad Bailey is doing well. That is a mad picture of him with his little devil outfit:D. At least 2012 he can get one with it with all his ops over him.
    Do Sharpwells have a swimming pool too?

Great news about Flo too! So she should be ok for Santa then!! Bit quiet without Cooper though! does he mind going off without you?

Nothing exciting happening here for Friday night!! Did any of you guys watch the Frozen Planet (David Attenborough) on BBC on Weds night? It is really great.

CCC is canine country club- its near Sallins. If you have never been it is a great day for the dogs. especially as ours cant be walked much the swimming in the pool was brilliant for them. They have a fairly big pool with ramps down into it and wet suits for the owners! pool is heated too:)

:eek: I would love to go swimming with the dogs. It's for medical treatment only though, is it?

Oh CCC is fab!! Ive been going with Cooper the last few weeks to build up fitness and muscle for a big show he was in last weekend.

The pool is amazing, its nearly the size of a normal swimming pool for people!! Its not just for medical reasons, as it can be used to build up fitness or just for fun. Its not too expensive either and you can hire the pool for an hour for 60 euro. They have wet suits for us and the jackets for the dogs as well, its very professional and a great set up.

ppink, he doesnt mind too much, he knows my friends really well and i trust them 100% with them. There arent many people i would trust to take Cooper with them but they are brilliant.

It is fab there Andrea! If I won the lotto I promised Ruby I would get her one:p. I was worried one of ours would not go in but once he got his life jacket on and Ann took him in he was just thrilled skinny with himself!! we brought a couple of those floating kongs and threw them down the pool for them to swim after it was just brilliant! then we were able to shower them off and use their dryer too. I have never seen our dogs so comatosed on a car journey as they were on the way home:D.
    Did you get any pics Andrea of Cooper in there? I got a couple I will try to put up later. It is good you have friends you can trust with Cooper. It is so hard to find people who mind them the same as you would yourself.

Whispered you should try it as a treat, are you anywhere near there? It is a 2hr drive for us that is the only down side!

• Advertisement

We're on the other side of Naas so not too far at all. If you pay the €60 could the two of us bring the two dogs, or is it €60 per dog? It sounds like a nice way to pass a bit of time and Harley loves to swim but it's getting a bit cold.

I'd love to see pics ppink, please.

:( We were lucky - we managed to move stuff around and fit the big crate in the sitting room! We have a smaller Atlas 100 in the kitchen that became his new bed after the op last year so I just move him in if we're eating or cooking etc - so i can keep an eye on him.
    I wonder what they'll both be like when Cooper comes home! :D

I might try KCC when he's better for a laugh - I'd love to try swimming with him. I went into the sea with him a couple of times at the beach during the summer and he was DELIGHTED - it was brilliant lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

:(

Van broke down on way home, about an hour from home. called tow truck. busy main country road, while there, puppy comes trotting out from house across road for a look, and get hit by jeep and killed. Jeep stopped then drove off. I had to go in to the house and tell them their dog was dead. then sit there for 2 and half hours waiting on tow truck. horrible day :(

OMG zuroph that's terrible :( You must be heartbroken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

poor little guy should never have been able get anywhere near the road. :( Dexter got an extra big hug when I finally got home.

Whispered wrote: »
    We're on the other side of Naas so not too far at all. If you pay the €60 could the two of us bring the two dogs, or is it €60 per dog? It sounds like a nice way to pass a bit of time and Harley loves to swim but it's getting a bit cold.

I'd love to see pics ppink, please.

No its only 60 for the pool so you could go with someone else to share the cost. I went with my friend with her staffies and i brough Flo and Cooper and did one at a time, about half hour each.

They have a facebook page, heres the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Canine-Rehabilitation-and-Hydrotherapy-Centre/104619529584494

I havent had any pics or videos since ive been going this time. Cooper is fab at it, but he doesnt like going down the ramp initially but once we get him in hes deadly, cant get him out.
    Ill be going down there with Flo when shes ready for her hydro therapy as they have the treadmill as well, its great.

zuroph wrote: »
    :(

Van broke down on way home, about an hour from home. called tow truck. busy main country road, while there, puppy comes trotting out from house across road for a look, and get hit by jeep and killed. Jeep stopped then drove off. I had to go in to the house and tell them their dog was dead. then sit there for 2 and half hours waiting on tow truck. horrible day :(

Oh god, thats so sad, hopefully it was instant and he didnt feel anything. I really wish people would keep their dogs properly confined and not able to get out onto a road:(

How are all the patients getting on? Bailey was a bit unsettled today. He finished up his pain meds yesterday but I have a load spare from last year - gave him one about an hour ago and silence! Poor baby must have had a pain. Yesterday he had his leg in his mouth - I told him to stop and looked over a min later - he was lying there asleep with his leg resting on his HEAD :pac: :pac: I lol'd and woke him up before I could get a pic :P

• Advertisement

Awh thats so cute Tk. At least you had some meds left over for him, theres nothing worse than seeing them in pain.

Flo is good, shes in better form and is more energetic when i take her out of the crate for toilet breaks so i have to try and stop her jumping around the place, im so worried that she'll do some damage if she jumps about or slips on the floor. I have a sling thing to put under her belly to take the weight off her but she sometimes lies down and then jumps up really quickly so im terrified shes going to hurt herself or damage the area :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement