Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vehicle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

wow. some of those trucks. i mean, the blue DAF one, wow.
    and here's me pining after that ZIL [or whatever it is] they have in trinity college...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Realistically I reckon this would be a good choice. Rugged enough to stand up to bad roads and surfaces. Won't get through the really tough stuff but still a much better option than a big truck because fuel would be scarce and this will do up to 50mpg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Combine-3_1704422c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Combine-3_1704422c.jpg

Out of interest where are people planning to go in these vehicles? I think I'll stay put, batten down the hatches and grow my pumpkins thank you. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

I would not last long but a horse would be epic . With armour of course

• Advertisement

Draper666 wrote: »
    I would not last long but a horse would be epic . With armour of course

Actually I'd bet good money that you'd last longer with a horse than someone in an armoured Humvee - you'll certainly fuelling your vehicle easier! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Except your vehicle is now also Zombie food and easily spooked. Spare parts would also not be an option

Except your vehicle is now also Zombie food and easily spooked. Spare parts would also not be an option

In the kind of scenario we're talking about, if you're driving a motor vehicle, spare parts are the least of your worries. You'd most probably run out of petrol before you wore through it, leaving you with a very expensive metal box which will take you nowhere.

I suppose in theory you could run a car on Biodiesel but it'd be a hell of a job refining that much vegetable oil from crops when you could be using the same farmland to grow food instead - sadly there won't be any more chippies around the corner who can donate their used stuff. Finding a convenient patch of grass for your horsie to feast on by comparison would be appreciably easier.

Naturally spare parts could be a problem if your horse was injured but we've been raising and maintaining these kind of vehicles a lot longer than we have automobiles.

I think before we talk about vehicles we should probably think about where we'd go in them - speaking personally I am trying to improve my garden to allow my family and I to stay put come the T Virus rather than jumping into a jeep and heading for the woods (along with millions of other people who have had the same idea). Time will tell which strategy is the best! :-)

With some of the larger vehicles posted here, they are mobile fortresses. Should they breakdown or run out of fuel they are then stationary fortress (or if you come across an area that you wish to camp up in).

I would be staying put also (as I have a garden large enough to grow a lot of food and a boundary that is easy to somewhat fortify) but not everyone has this luxury.

With some of the larger vehicles posted here, they are mobile fortresses. Should they breakdown or run out of fuel they are then stationary fortress (or if you come across an area that you wish to camp up in).

I would be staying put also (as I have a garden large enough to grow a lot of food and a boundary that is easy to somewhat fortify) but not everyone has this luxury.

I have been following "Urban Green Survival" on Youtube - even if you live in the inner city as I do, it's actually surprising how much food you can grow. I admit my partner and I aren't at a point yet where we can grow all the veg we need but we hope to be self sufficient one day - as with all survival plans, now is the time to start!

What concerns me about these mobile/immobile impregnable fortresses is the fact that not much thought seems to have been put into long term survival as I said. If it's a way to get to your "cabin in the woods" complete with garden and so on, so much the better - I suppose I would just be worried by the time I got there it'd be overrun.

Have you read the post apocalyptic story "Wolf and Iron" incidentally? That involves a travelling caravan (actually an armoured SUV), which is drawn by a team of horses - the family living inside are able to get what they need by being travelling traders, mostly trading tools and low value cooking utensils in exchange for the food they need. What I liked about the story was that they had solar panels on the roof in order to have hot water for washing/shaving. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you could learn to sleep on your horse it could keep you safe from zombies. Whatever about catching humans, a zombie has little chance of catching a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Not so sure about that, ye might need two horses, one to rest while the other is carrying you. Bodyweight and horse size and breed would be major factors too

Would be awesome having a big Clydesdale for the apocalyspe though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i don't know about your experiences but I've seen horses that don't spook at anything. Its all in the training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Not so sure about that, ye might need two horses, one to rest while the other is carrying you. Bodyweight and horse size and breed would be major factors too

Would be awesome having a big Clydesdale for the apocalyspe though

depends what you want the horse to do a clydsdale will pull all day (good if you need a plow horse) or plod along with you on its back but for long ride where you need a fair bit of speed and able to rest without fully stopping id go for an arab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Clydesdale for me, cant beat a good ol' workhorse. Multifunctional role, tough as old coffin nails and looks awesome. Besides, arabian horses are far too pretty for the apocalypse, even if they are more awesome for endurance.

it's like a choice between a tractor or a ferrari, but i'd still take the tractor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I work about 5 minutes from home so in reality we would probably grab our own car and use that to get to a safe zone, with push bike on the bike rack. Then I can use the bike for smaller runs to and from the safe zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Bicycle is good. Horse is ok too. Bit loud though and needs constant maintance. I would not be overly concerned about being spooked. Most if not all broke horses are familiar with noise and people. Think winners enclosure at horse races.

Best form of transport is legs though, stay local, stay safe. If you venture into unknown territory, tank or not. You enter a world of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

what about forklift, not the small ones but the big jcb ones, if you had a group and you were moving out convoy style they would be in valuable as they could clear the roads and crush zed in your way, not the best for gas consumption though

Bicycle is good. Horse is ok too. Bit loud though and needs constant maintance.
    Horses could probably go wild easily enough and their maintenance requirements would be pretty low being a herbivore. The only reason race horses require a lot of work is because their being managed to be at peak performance for the race in the same way a human athlete would. That would include making sure they don't over train at the right time coming up to a race.
    bushball wrote: »
    what about forklift, not the small ones but the big jcb ones, if you had a group and you were moving out convoy style they would be in valuable as they could clear the roads and crush zed in your way, not the best for gas consumption though
    They'd be fairly uncomfortable on road and they're probably not designed for long periods of driving. On a building site they do a lot of very short runs back and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

a forklift would be a bad choice of vehicle, they generally don't have suspension and require very level ground.

however you have a decent idea, something like a teleporter or loading shovel would be more suited, but ya can't beat the universal work horse of a JCB 3cx .

Articulated lorry with an empty container. If we all get one and meet at any racecourse we could stack the containers, hey presto, instant fortress. Ground containers could be filled in to provide stability. And lorries become diesel generators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Boats is basically the answer if you live on the coast. There's plenty of them around me and if the apoclypse is only in Ireland, UK is there for me unless the Navy has the defenses up. If that's the case, there's an abandoned lighthouse island I can live in. Has generators, a growing house and basic living facilities needed to stay and best of all, it's remote!

Articulated lorry with an empty container. If we all get one and meet at any racecourse we could stack the containers, hey presto, instant fortress. Ground containers could be filled in to provide stability. And lorries become diesel generators.

you will also need a large fork lift to load and stack the containers

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Boats is basically the answer if you live on the coast. There's plenty of them around me and if the apoclypse is only in Ireland, UK is there for me unless the Navy has the defenses up. If that's the case, there's an abandoned lighthouse island I can live in. Has generators, a growing house and basic living facilities needed to stay and best of all, it's remote!
    can you sail?
    otherwise boats ain't that useful when they run out of fuel.

like the lighthouse idea tho. Tuskar is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    can you sail?
    otherwise boats ain't that useful when they run out of fuel.

like the lighthouse idea tho. Tuskar is mine.

Yeah, it's very simple to be honest. An hour of a lesson will have you sorted. After that, it's just making you more experienced. Difficult thing about it is the knots you need to know. If you don't know how to sail, you can use oars when you've run out of fuel.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    you will also need a large fork lift to load and stack the containers
    You'll have to watch the fork lift safety instructional video first.

The problem with many vehicles in Ireland will always be the lack of fuel as time goes on. The bigger and badder the vehicle the more fuel it will guzzle.

There should be places where you'll find electric forklifts though, I've passed by a big Lidl warehouse on the way down to Cork. If there's anywhere in the country using electrically driven forklifts it's probably that place.

From next year we should start to see more pure electric vehicles coming out in Europe. These will be the ultimate apocalypse vehicles. We should always be able to generate electricity and the new battery technology should give ten years of use. With next to no maintenance they would be ideal.

The Tesla S would be the best electric available at the moment but you won't find any in Europe.

Garda riot van all the way!
    In a Zombie apocalypse you need something that can withstand attack, is not much more complicated than a standard car (very few extra moving parts) and can transport everything you need when you're going out and getting some supplies. You will have EVERYTHING you could want in a vehicle with this Garda riot van and you can fill it with everything you need too since it has tonnes of room in the back.

3672424051_cfd4b58620.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Electric cars / vans will be very usefull , and with a few solar panels & windmills you can have 'fuel' for them for years to come.

An electric panel van (based on the Garda van) could be ideal . I dont think you need a tank to keep zombie fingers / nails / teeth at bay.

For after the initial rush, how about a quad-bike for getting about and scavenging? Put a trailer on the back and you can move from town to town with all your belongings, and if you want speed, then take trailer off (come back for it later).

• Advertisement

there is some sense to electric vehicles for short hop localized commuting, but i still maintain that biodieselis the best option long term.

also I wouldn't say you'd find an electric fork lift capable capable of lifting a container

Advertisement