Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

jacothelad wrote: »
    Why would Payne move south to a team on the down slope when he can stay where he is and play in the Ireland backline alongside the likes of Jackson, Olding, Marshall, Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy, McCloskey and Scholes.....

Probably has ambitions of winning silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hagz wrote: »
    Probably has ambitions of winning silverware.
    Which is why he's staying here rather than go down to the pensioners club...oooops I forgot they are retiring......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

He's not exactly a spring chicken himself, maybe he'd prefer a retirement home with cheese and wine down here instead bread and Harp.

Which is why he's staying here rather than go down to the pensioners club...oooops I forgot they are retiring......:D

It makes sense that Ludik would come in for Payne. With Johann Muller leaving, Ulster would have been so light on Saffers, that they actually would have been distinguishable from Saracens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Trimble on the Saturday night show now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It makes sense that Ludik would come in for Payne. With Johann Muller leaving, Ulster would have been so light on Saffers, that they actually would have been distinguishable from Saracens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

We can't let Leinster and Munster have them all can we. We like to have the same number as everyone else. I mean Zane Kirchner, Ricardt Strauss, Quinn ,Roux, B.J., C.J. and G.v.d.H. need some folks from home to chat too. Does that make Leinster and Munster also indistinguishable from Saracens also?....Why, it must......or have you conveniently forgotten about your boys:D:D:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Payne would be totally wasted playing MOC-ball. :)

It won't happen, best move on lads.

But in all seriousness, the signing of Ludik (unconfirmed though it may) suggests that Payne will move to 13 next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Last time I saw Ludik he had a serious moustache going.

Going on that Ulster should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Morf wrote: »
    Last time I saw Ludik he had a serious moustache going.

Going on that Ulster should sign him.

The 1980s were like 30 years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    The 1980s were like 30 years ago...

Depends on where abouts in Ulster you live. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

But in all seriousness, the signing of Ludik (unconfirmed though it may) suggests that Payne will move to 13 next season.

Would cave be moving then if that happens?

case885 wrote: »

Payne will fill in for Cave while Darren is away with Ireland. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

case885 wrote: »

Would be tough on Cave, Anscombe might think that 13-Payne/15-Ludik is better than 13-Cave/15-Payne though.

Not seen enough of the other lad to have an opinion. I guess our ambition should be to have internationals in as many positions as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Cave is too good to be 2nd choice. He should definitely move to Leinster...

Not sure why people think a player coming in means a player moving on. Cave can play 12 as well as 13 and may or may not be required for Irish camps. At the moment outside of Payne there's no real genuine threat at 15 for Ulster. What if there's an injury before a HEC game? Ulster are blessed with Payne because he can play anywhere but if needs be they'd be screwed without a decent backup at 15. All the young players coming through seem to be excellent centres and solid wings.

I am pie wrote: »
    Would be tough on Cave, Anscombe might think that 13-Payne/15-Ludik is better than 13-Cave/15-Payne though.

Not seen enough of the other lad to have an opinion. I guess our ambition should be to have internationals in as many positions as possible.

On all the evidence I've seen, Cave is a much better 13 than Payne. On the other hand, Payne at 15 is superb. We should wait until Ludik's signing is confirmed before getting any more convoluted mechanisms in an endeavour to squeeze the best 15 in Ireland into a shirt better filled by someone else I think.

On the basis of what I've seen of Payne at 13 (and I didn't see him.play there for the Blues), Tommy Bowe is a much better option. Maybe that is something that both Ulster and Ireland should be investigating. The form of Trimble, the return of Earls, Fitzgerald and the potential of Zebo and Gilroy could allow for this. That said Bowe is our best winger so maybe that is where he should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I dont think Bowe's passing is good enough for midfield, plus he's one of the best footballing wings in the world which you'd lose a lot of if he's in the center.

• Advertisement

Put a 12 who can pass alongside him and he would be fine. He is one of the best offloaders/pop passers around at the minute, but yes anything over 5 metres can sometimes be a test for him!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Any more news on Paddy Wallace?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There are plenty of outside centres around now who don't have much of a passing game. Once they can give a standard pass off either hand and are able to offload decently they're in business and Bowe can certainly do those things.

Guys like Bastareaud, Burrell and Tuilagi are not anything special with in terms of passing. Even the great BOD wasn't a fantastic passer. I think Bowe has enough footballing talent to be am effective centre. If he could do it well for the Lions, it's worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I haven't really heard of Ludik, so that makes me think he's probably a van den Heever-type selection. Probably decent enough, but not a Habana or Le Roux...or Payne or Kearney. However, that doesn't mean he won't prove to have the goods.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Sadly I fear he is done. Apparently his knee didn't react well on his return.

Sad as that is for Paddy this is what I worry about with regards to Stuart Olding who has his entire career ahead of him. Anyway if confirmed it will be a sad end to Paddy's career. He probably discovered 12 was his best position too late in his career.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I haven't really heard of Ludik, so that makes me think he's probably a van den Heever-type selection. Probably decent enough, but not a Habana or Le Roux...or Payne or Kearney. However, that doesn't mean he won't prove to have the goods.

We don't need a world class back though (assuming we don't lose Payne), Ludik seems like he will fit the bill perfectly and despite the fears in my previous post we also have Olding returning so whatever about our pack we will have a stronger set of backs next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »

He has almost certainly played his last.

Ricky Andrew and Ricky Lutton have both signed pro contracts.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestNews/TabId/149/ArtMID/793/ArticleID/1425/Lutton-and-Andrew-agree-full-time-contracts-with-Ulster-.aspx

Both are decent squad players. Good enough signings.

Ulster XV and replacements to face Glasgow Warriors, RaboDirect PRO12, Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 18th April (kick off 19:35)

(15-9): R Andrew, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, A Trimble, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, C Henry, S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, A Warwick, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, M McComish, M Heaney, J McKinney, C Gilroy.

Bowe back to the wing. Henderson starts in the second row again. No Ferris again. Fitzpatrick returns from wherever he was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a fairly weak bench.

Glasgow will be favourites for this I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

Ferris injured his ankle... hopefully its his good one..

yuinc wrote: »

Aye, its a bit worrying. Hopefully nothing to worry about.

Being out for that long it takes a while for your body to get accustomed to playing again, you'll easily pick up little knocks and strains, even just getting your running balance back will take a while. I suspect Ferris will probably pick up a few niggles between now and the off season. In a way it's great for him to get this into his system now, then he'll have a strong pre-season.

.ak wrote: »
    Being out for that long it takes a while for your body to get accustomed to playing again, you'll easily pick up little knocks and strains, even just getting your running balance back will take a while. I suspect Ferris will probably pick up a few niggles between now and the off season. In a way it's great for him to get this into his system now, then he'll have a strong pre-season.

Agreed - got to expect a bit of pain.

For what it's worth he's taking part in the Circuit of Ireland on Saturday (some motor racing type thing - not exactly sure what it is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

awec wrote: »
    Agreed - got to expect a bit of pain.

For what it's worth he's taking part in the Circuit of Ireland on Saturday (some motor racing type thing - not exactly sure what it is).
    Rallying round, part of the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship, Northern Ireland Rally Championship & this year the European Rally Championship.
    Used to follow a huge coastline route thus 'circuit of ireland' but now confined to one area like most rallies and kept the name.

Must be taking part in an historic or junior section or something like that if he is only doing 1 day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

yuinc wrote: »

Does he have a good one?

Ulster XV and replacements to face Glasgow Warriors, RaboDirect PRO12, Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 18th April (kick off 19:35)

(15-9): R Andrew, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, A Trimble, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, C Henry, S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, A Warwick, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, M McComish, M Heaney, J McKinney, C Gilroy.

Bowe back to the wing. Henderson starts in the second row again. No Ferris again. Fitzpatrick returns from wherever he was.

Has been suffering from chronic migraines since January... after a concussion.:eek:

Has been suffering from chronic migraines since January... after a concussion.:eek:

That sounds... bad? :confused:

Some injury list for Ulster in the front row at this point (as it was last season).

Front row of Warwick, Herring and Macklin for rest of season?

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Some injury list for Ulster in the front row at this point (as it was last season).

Front row of Warwick, Herring and Macklin for rest of season?
    Need to name 4 props. MCall is now a hooker so the cupboard is bare unless we can parachute 4 emergency props in. Would Leinster lend us Furlong?????

Need to name 4 props. MCall is now a hooker so the cupboard is bare unless we can parachute 4 emergency props in. Would Leinster lend us Furlong?????

5.5. No player is eligible to play for a Team in the RaboDirect PRO12 if he transfers or is registered after the 20th March 2012 during the relevant season (although there is an exception for under 18 players in certain circumstances)

5.5. No player is eligible to play for a Team in the RaboDirect PRO12 if he transfers or is registered after the 20th March 2012 during the relevant season (although there is an exception for under 18 players in certain circumstances)

Yes I know but Geoff Cross has just moved to and played for Glasgow from Edinburgh last month. Maybe Ulster should claim the points if he's ineligible....:D It would be ironic if so, given that scandalous awarding of the 'try'.
    A fully fit Ulster would comfortably beat Glasgow but we have no chance of winning the last two games. Injury is a cruel and sadly increasing part of pro rugby.

Yes I know but Geoff Cross has just moved to and played for Glasgow from Edinburgh last month. Maybe Ulster should claim the points if he's ineligible....:D It would be ironic if so, given that scandalous awarding of the 'try'.
    A fully fit Ulster would comfortably beat Glasgow but we have no chance of winning the last two games. Injury is a cruel and sadly increasing part of pro rugby.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/03/rabodirect-pro12-geoff-cross-joins-glasgow-from-edinburgh/

Deadline day move. 20th of march.

Declan Fitzpatrick released from hospital this afternoon in Glasgow after having a procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat. Will have to undergo further tests when he gets back to Belfast, so you would imagine his season is over.

Hopefully not too serious for Declan. :(

Tom Court to resume training this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

Declan Fitzpatrick released from hospital this afternoon in Glasgow after having a procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat. Will have to undergo further tests when he gets back to Belfast, so you would imagine his season is over.

Hopefully not too serious for Declan. :(

Tom Court to resume training this week.

I didn't realise he had been taken ill I thought he picked up an injury.

Just read about it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

From the man himself
    Declan Fitzpatrick (@DfizzyP) tweeted at 2:05 PM on Mon, Apr 21, 2014:

Thanks to all medics at the game and Glasgow west infirmary. heart back to normal and heading home. Cheers for the kind messages

So looking likely that Court will be available for Leinster and possibly Lutton as well who is undergoing physio on an injured toe (no break). No update on Afoa. Things looking a bit brighter. The potential Ulster side should be well able to beat Leinster. I'd be expecting something along the lines of:

Court, Herring, Lutton, Muller, Henderson, Ferris, Henry, Williams, Marshall, Jackson, Trimble, Marshall, Cave, Bowe, Payne.

That's a strong side, well able to beat anyone on their day. They'll need to improve their focus and defence significantly though. Missed tackle count has been far too high in recent games. Tackling success hasn't been above 84% in the last 3 games which has caused significant problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

phog wrote: »
    From the man himself

Great to hear. Was thinking of Simon Best when first heard about it so hopefully nothing as serious as Best had.

Player rumour time.

Who is this:

whoisthis.jpg

Pictured recently having lunch with a certain Mr Anscombe and a certain Mr Humphries in a Belfast hotel.

Also the person who took this photo said that a certain Mr Hogg was also at said lunch. Is that him with his back to the camera?

and did they have the beef or salmon?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement