Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gymnastic rings

• 13-06-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I've seen some rings with pretty good reviews on Amazon that I could get for about 40euro. They're something I've always wanted to do but just like with pull up bars I have nowhere to put them as the doors and walls are quite weak In my house. I just realised today that you can detach and reattach them very easily to things.

If I hung them from the crossbar of a gaa goalpost would they be high enough and secure enough to use them like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I've seen some rings with pretty good reviews on Amazon that I could get for about 40euro. They're something I've always wanted to do but just like with pull up bars I have nowhere to put them as the doors and walls are quite weak In my house. I just realised today that you can detach and reattach them very easily to things.
    If I hung them from the crossbar of a gaa goalpost would they be high enough and secure enough to use them like that?

Yeah I've used my rings from a goal before. Could ideally be a bit higher but does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Does the netting cause a big problem and would I be able to set them up to do l-sits without banging my head on the crossbar(I'm completely new to it)

Does the netting cause a big problem and would I be able to set them up to do l-sits without banging my head on the crossbar(I'm completely new to it)

Was no net there when I was on the goal, I would assume the net would get in the way. Yeah there's plenty of room to do L-sits either from a hang like a pull up l-sit or an l-sit hold above the rings. You'll just have to adjust higher or lower depending on what your doing. Everything I do on rings when training I could do from the goal.

That definitely sounds like a good solution then, ya there's nets in some of the goals, there should be one without though. Thank you very much for the info

I'm posting here again because you have used them. If there was netting on the goalposts and I needed to put rings on them.would the clip fit through the netting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I bought a set two years ago
    used them sweet feck all

must dig them out of the storage room

I'm posting here again because you have used them. If there was netting on the goalposts and I needed to put rings on them.would the clip fit through the netting?

Yeah can't see why not, the clip isn't big. Same width as the strap itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I've dug mine out of storage after 2 years, can anybody recommend a series of exercises for them? I remember becoming frustrated last time because I couldn't find a nice workout for them, got as far as a muscle-up and got bored!

Go on YouTube and watch the videos by a channel called GMB . they do pretty good good step by step videos of primarily the basics. I'm going to start with mastering the top hold position

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Master Culpepper

Just got kicked out of the local park in Lucan for hanging my rings off the goalposts there. Has this happened to anyone else? It's the second time now in a year... I wouldn't mind but I was getting quite good at them. Not many parks around that have GAA goalposts (I find the soccer ones are too low down) in my area. Might cycle to the Pheonix Park but that's a huge part of my day gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

There are a ton of options with rings I learned a bit becoming a GMB teacher Rings 1 and 2 are pretty solid programs from them too. I do lots on my pull up bar at home plenty low work (push ups, flyes etc) you can do as well as dips etc. Otherwise, when you are out I find trees to be the best option as goals you tend to get moved on from using which has happened to me a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are a ton of options with rings I learned a bit becoming a GMB teacher Rings 1 and 2 are pretty solid programs from them too. I do lots on my pull up bar at home plenty low work (push ups, flyes etc) you can do as well as dips etc. Otherwise, when you are out I find trees to be the best option as goals you tend to get moved on from using which has happened to me a fair bit.

What skills would you suggest is a worth aiming with rings after you achieved a strict muscle up. Most of the gymnastic stuff after that feels ridiculous advanced and a bit unnecessary if you are not trying to be a gymnast.

It, of course, depends on the goals but if I were to take a few simple movement patterns you might try the below out.

chin up/ archer chin up / one arm chin
    Dip / ring dip / l dip / wide dip / 45 degree dip
    Push up / pseudo planche push up / bent arm planche push up (or you can work towards the one arm)
    Inverted row / ring row / one arm row / tuck front lever row / front lever row
    Ring curl / box pelican curl / ring pelican curl / reverse muscle up

I would however really advise trying to get a front or back lever down they do take time but have huge carry over to other skills. If you want any other tips or links feel free to ask or drop me a pm.

If you want a simple approach think of adding more leverage to things. If you want a more simple approach garage gymnastics and domnik sky on youtube have some great strength stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry, I think I wasn't too clear with my question.
    I'm familiar with various bodyweight progressions. Although dont know what a 45 degree dip is. The progressions overcoming gravity are pretty extensive. I'm currently working on my front lever, L-Sit and a few other bits.
    I was more curious what you think are the typical benchmark "goals" in bodyweight training. Like, the muscle-up is a pretty common goal for people. But after that, I'm not really sure what's next. I know there's 100s of possible moves, but the only one that sprung to mind was an iron cross - which I understand shouldn't be approached lightly.

Ah ok that makes more sense. Yeah, you can train the cross but it should be done very slowly or else a lot of prerequisites.

So some benchmarks though these are not set in stone could be

Straddle press to handstand
    Straddle planche
    Front Lever
    One arm chin
    Freestanding handstand push up
    Side lever / human flag
    Manna

These cover most bases gymnastic strength is basically divided into straight arm and bent arm its normally good to pick 2 of each and work on them together eg front lever + planche and OAC and HSPU.

The lower body has its own within the gymnastic / bodyweight world I can happily share but most are more mobility based.

Also from my own experience and chatting to pro gymnasts, it's worth doing supplementary work with weights to help get toward those skills you are working on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Mellor wrote: »
    Sorry, I think I wasn't too clear with my question.
    I'm familiar with various bodyweight progressions. Although dont know what a 45 degree dip is. The progressions overcoming gravity are pretty extensive. I'm currently working on my front lever, L-Sit and a few other bits.
    I was more curious what you think are the typical benchmark "goals" in bodyweight training. Like, the muscle-up is a pretty common goal for people. But after that, I'm not really sure what's next. I know there's 100s of possible moves, but the only one that sprung to mind was an iron cross - which I understand shouldn't be approached lightly.

Good question. I'm having the exact same thoughts. After a MU, my next short term goal was a one-arm push-up for no reason other than it is a stupid party trick. I will know turn my mind to planche work and L-sits. I really struggle with the latter though!

What part of the L-sit are you struggling with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What part of the L-sit are you struggling with?

Keeping it straight and above the hip hinge. Problem with flexibility on my side i think as much as anything. Primarily doing the work on parallete bars.

Yeah likely the flexibility just try some pike stretches and if you dislike stretching then jefferson curls will help big time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement