Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hell & Back Apollo 14th June

• 03-06-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So are any of you doing this? Are you all set?? What are ye doing with regards to parking??? I just managed to get the last of the prepay parking earlier I think (I hope) but don't have a clue where it is....They say exit 9 opp glenview hotel, but don't know how close that realistically is to the event.

What are you planning on wearing on the day or what do you advise if you've done this before?
    Cant believe its so close, it wasn't long about going around.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's much easier than I thought it was gonna be & that was in Feb in 3 degrees.

Wear compression tights and a compression top, shorts & a t shirt & old runners & maybe a pair of cheap cycling gloves from Lidl/Aldi

I wouldn't do it again, too expensive for what it is and too easy.

Turf Warrior in Killary is cheaper & more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Fair play to you. Thanks for the info re the clothes. Will look into getting all those. Thanks million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

Doing on Saturday 14th as well... will be my first time trying anything like this. Plan on wearing cheap shorts, cheap running top and old trail style runners. I am actually quite nervous about the whole thing now!:eek:

O I know the feeling:D when I read the official start list yesterday my stomach actually flipped!!!!
    Yeah think running bottoms, shorts and long sleeve top is way to go. Lidl have their gear in tomorrow so planning on going up in the morn. What time are u out at on Sat, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

pffffft

Here's tough.

http://vimeo.com/97270099

• Advertisement

That certainly is tough, but we're just starting out, so hell and back is tough enough for me at the min:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

zsha wrote: »
    O I know the feeling:D when I read the official start list yesterday my stomach actually flipped!!!!
    Yeah think running bottoms, shorts and long sleeve top is way to go. Lidl have their gear in tomorrow so planning on going up in the morn. What time are u out at on Sat, best of luck

Out at 11:40.

O were out at 11.20.....best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I'm doing this on Saturday for the first time, I have a few specific questions

- Is it something the family can come and watch? My Mrs & kids would love to be there but not if they can't really see me after I've started, and then roll in a while later.
    - roughly how long does it take? With a fitness yardstick I run 5k in about 24 mins and have been doing regular strength training so I'm fit enough I suppose
    - I'm in the second last wave of the day, I'm planning to park in the Dell car park and get the shuttle. As it's late in the day, I'm worried the car park will be full, any experience or tips with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 elleA

I'm running too on Saturday...first event like this and doing it by myself. Both nervous and excited! Cheers for all the tips on what to wear.

• Advertisement

Its my first time too so cant help with all your questions I'm afraid, but def interested in the answers the pop up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ranjo wrote: »
    I'm doing this on Saturday for the first time, I have a few specific questions

- Is it something the family can come and watch? My Mrs & kids would love to be there but not if they can't really see me after I've started, and then roll in a while later.
    - roughly how long does it take? With a fitness yardstick I run 5k in about 24 mins and have been doing regular strength training so I'm fit enough I suppose
    - I'm in the second last wave of the day, I'm planning to park in the Dell car park and get the shuttle. As it's late in the day, I'm worried the car park will be full, any experience or tips with that?

Been a few years since I did it and it was at the Kilruddery house one, but this was my experience

1. No, family will only see you start and finish the race. Won't see anything in between.

2. This is difficult to answer. I'd roughly give it an hour and a half. The problem when I was doing it that your finish time wasn't related to how fit/fast you were. I found that at a lot of the obstacles there was queues which meant you had to wait no matter what. The fewer back your wave is, the worse it will be.

3. No idea about parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Short notice, but we have a team going for Hell and Back on Sunday, and one of them has jumped ship last minute (dodgy ankles).

So we have a spare slot on our team, if anybody wants to take it. You can either do the whole thing with us, or take your number and t-shirt and go for broke yourself. We'll most likely be bringing up the rear.

Our wave is late enough in the day, about 15:00, but we'll be meeting up at about 13:00.

The ticket cost €49, not looking to make money on it, just don't want it to go to waste.

Thanks and good luck to everyone doing it tomorrow!

Ah sorry to hear that, hope you get somebody for your ticket, did you put it on the hell and back facebook page, there is als some on that. Best of luck to you and your team....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Thanks for the well wishes, and thanks for the tip! I'll check that out pronto.

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll have a great time! And if you don't, please don't tell me until Sunday evening!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i completed it in 2 hours.. its very tough

Same, did it just under two hours and had to push to get that time.

OMG fair play, I found it extremely tough, took us 3.5 hrs and we were in before most ppl that was in our group....Its very hard to stay as a big team doing this, esp at obstacles....Well done to all who did it and survived :D

That's why I was able to go so quick. I was on my own and honestly going hard at it. I ran everything, fully pushed for a fast time, mainly because my wife & kids were there and I didn't want them getting bored. Would definitely prefer to do as a group and just plod around in 3 hours, be more of a laugh then.

I did help a lot of people though, including a woman who looked about 65 stuck crawling under some ropes and casually shoving some woman's butt through the tyres!

Will do it again, but not on my own.

Well fair play again, my cousins did it as part of our group but early on I just told them to go ahead themselves....one did it in 2 hrs and the other 2 lads did it in 1.5hrs but my god they pushed themselves to the extreme.....was a very tough course. Like that we had fun along the way but as we got back to the 10ft wall all the men had finished more or less, so unfortunately we had no way up onto it. Even the marshall told us that, however if that's the only thing we didn't do, I'm still happy with the day. Looking back on the video that's up its just amazing knowing you did that!!
    However I did get stuck in the swamp and only for this wonderful man that came along, Id say Id still be there :D He literally had to dig each of my feet out one by one, the suction is incredible!
    All in all, great day

• Advertisement

Oh yeah the mud was unreal. I took a wrong turn at this little tree and ended up fecking chest deep in mud. I'm not exaggerating. I had to be yanked out by this guy. Would have been hilarious to see. Already roping friends into it for next time. In summer though, wouldn't want to do that in Winter, I'm not that extreme....

Could you imagine the muck in winter God it would be brutal.....there is one in Sept and its going to be incorporating the gardens of the house, say that would be good.
    It's a pity that they don't have little trucks or mini buses that spectators can get to some of the course, as there was access to some Areas. That would be great and incl them more.....
    The only bad thing I have to say was the waiting time on buses in the car park, my god it was brutal. And then when you were leaving the event. The waiting time for them was just unreal....some ppl missed their wave time as they were waiting for buses. We waited for 50 mins to get a bus from carpark!!!! Other than that one thing everything else was super

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 elleA

It was definitely an experience! I did it in just under 3 hours but spent lots of time chatting and queuing for obstacles, instead of pushing to get a fast time. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it but I don't want to see any swamps for a looong time ;) Definitely doing it again in future but I agree with Ranjo, not in the Winter.

Advertisement