Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Health and Performance Science, UCD

• 26-02-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! I'm interested in doing the Health and Performance Science course in UCD, just wondering what the career options are like when you graduate? Are there many jobs out there in that area? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derf345

I've completed 2 years of health and performance science, and am due to graduate next year. I wasn't sure about the course when deciding what to put on the CAO. The fact that it is only 3 years makes it essential to consider postgraduate options to complement the degree (for more employment opportunities). For example, I have heard of people applying to do postgraduate physiotherapy, medicine and a masters in strength and conditioning. Good degree for giving an insight into the multi-layered health and fitness industry eg psychology of sport and health, general and sports-specific nutrition, exercise and public health, biomechanics of movement, clinical and functional anatomy. I have found the course very interesting, as I like science, sport and the combination of the two is actually fascinating... You get to apply the background knowledge from lectures in practical classes for many modules eg strength and conditioning practical classes in the gym follow on from the theory learned in the lectures. I speak highly of the course as a second year student, and although the last 2 years have been relatively demanding workload-wise, 3rd year (70% of final degree) separates the men from the boys... Hope this helps anyone interested in doing HPS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It is a small and tough industry with very few paid jobs.
    Who you know will be as important as how good you are.

Anecdotal evidence - The vast majority of graduates that I know do not work in sports.

If you do go down that route aim towards medical/health to widen your employment prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I always think I would have loved to have studied this in college, but I probably would have ended up just becoming a PT at the end of it anyway. It only took me 4 weeks to get certified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Zamboni wrote: »
    It is a small and tough industry with very few paid jobs.
    Who you know will be as important as how good you are.

Anecdotal evidence - The vast majority of graduates that I know do not work in sports.

If you do go down that route aim towards medical/health to widen your employment prospects.
    This is bang on.

Fitness industry courses are sold on a dream like vision of what people think it's going to be like.

You're sold las vagas but the reality is more like Blackpool

(Was trying to think of something related to fake boobs but that's the best I can come up with right now:))

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

What jobs do most of the graduates end up doing? I know the owners of the FFS gym in Dublin did the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

CM24 wrote: »
    What jobs do most of the graduates end up doing? I know the owners of the FFS gym in Dublin did the course.

Best of luck to them.
    If you go down the "fitness industry" route, you'd better be a bloody good business person. The market is completely saturated now and only a combination of the best entrepreneurs/ best trainers / best business model is cutting the mustard - and by that, I mean eeking out a relatively average salary.

If you go down the sports route you'd better like the idea of unpaid internships for years to build up a rep or have mega connections.
    You would actually have better odds in being a professional soccer player than you would in becoming a physio/analyst for a professional soccer team!

I know top class physios/sports performance analysts that struggle paying the bills simply because there are so many of them in comparison to the demand.

Sports and fitness are amazing industries to work in - but the reality is good employment prospects are thin on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

If you are looking at working full-time in sport, realistically outside Ireland is your best option starting off. If its a possibility I would even consider doing your undergrad outside Ireland.
    There's a lack of money and options in sport in Ireland. As mentioned the market is saturated and requires serious grafting to make decent money. Some of the top guys in Ireland work massive hours with lots of travel involved. Outside of the four rugby provinces, 90% people working in sport have the majority of their income from work with non-sporting populations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

cc87 wrote: »
    If you are looking at working full-time in sport, realistically outside Ireland is your best option starting off. If its a possibility I would even consider doing your undergrad outside Ireland.
    There's a lack of money and options in sport in Ireland. As mentioned the market is saturated and requires serious grafting to make decent money. Some of the top guys in Ireland work massive hours with lots of travel involved. Outside of the four rugby provinces, 90% people working in sport have the majority of their income from work with non-sporting populations
    Never was and never will be big money made in working full time in sport. The top jobs are very very rare and only open to people with years and years of experience and masters or phd qualifications.

We could all just sell out and offer 6 week online programs but you have to like and share this post to get it.

Advertisement