Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength Regime (Sets and Reps)

Options
  • 17-06-2014 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi there fellow fitness enthusiasts....

I think I put together a pretty decent strength plan for myself, basically from taking a look at what personal trainers are doing at my gym.

The only thing I am confused about is how to put together sets and reps.
    The methods used seem to vary between trainers.

I noticed that most trainers use 5 sets of 10 reps, incrementing the weight on each set. The other method I noticed was sets like 10 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 15, incrementing the weight again, but on the last set of 15 dropping the weight back down.

Would appreciate if someone could explain a good method to use and how to calculate the weight increments or point me in the direction of some good reference material.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Why are you making your own plan and not just using an established plan, is there a specific area/weakness etc you are looking to concentrate on? What is your goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Here ya go, http://stronglifts.com/

Most trainers don't have a clue what they are doing by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,085 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What exercises did you include? If you are missing the basics regarding sets/reps there's a chance that you'll have holes in the program too.

Also how do you know that the trainers you were copying were programming fir strength?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hanley wrote: »

"your" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

"your" :mad:

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Why are you making your own plan and not just using an established plan, is there a specific area/weakness etc you are looking to concentrate on? What is your goal?

I am basically looking to get stronger to the point that I can do dips, pullups, chin ups, push ups etc with ease. I have been dabbling a little bit with olympic weight lifting recently and would like to get a lot better at it. I couldn't really find an established plan to suit these goals. To be honest I am pretty new to strength training and all the jargon. The amount of information available is mind boggling, its hard to know where to start. It
    jugger0 wrote: »
    Here ya go, http://stronglifts.com/

Most trainers don't have a clue what they are doing by the way.

Excellent, thanks for this. I am well aware that most trainers are pretty useless, they also charge around $85 an hour in Australia. I refuse to pay that. I am sure there are some really good trainers out there, but I have yet to come across one that is worth that money. This is the reason I am trying to teach myself.

Mellor wrote: »
    What exercises did you include? If you are missing the basics regarding sets/reps there's a chance that you'll have holes in the program too.

Also how do you know that the trainers you were copying were programming fir strength?

I am basically looking for an all round strength program. From what I have learned, it is best to focus on compound exercises. I have a 3 sessions per
    week that look like this:

Day 1:
    Deadlift
    Lat Pull Down
    Front Squats
    Seated Row
    Preacher Curls

Day 2:
    Strict Press
    Push Press
    Upright Row
    Dips
    Preacher Curls

10 minutes of Kettle bell swings, push ups, grass hoppers.

Day 3:
    Back Squats
    Bench Press
    Preacher Curls
    Weighted lunges

Would appreciate any advice or tips. I don't really know if the trainers are programming for strength to be honest. I just kinda presumed if they are incrementing weights that they are?.

Cheers.

Hanley wrote: »
    Get over it.
    No, your get over it.
    Feelgood wrote: »
    I am basically looking to get stronger to the point that I can do dips, pullups, chin ups, push ups etc with ease.

Stronglifts or starting strength so, no need to mess about writing your own.

Advertisement