Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking letter in today's IT

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Some real gems in this one. :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/cycling-safety-and-bus-lanes-1.1760667

It seems that cyclists out there are doing all sorts of horrid things, such as:
    • Riding their bicycles with only one hand on the handlebars!!! :eek:
    • Going in between lines of cars. [I ask you!]
    • Shouting cheerily to their friends.
    • Not paying road tax (Joe).
    • Maintaining their bicycles free of charge. [The beleaguered tax payer is probably footing the bill for that too!]
    Motorists, on the other hand, generally do not break red lights. But when they do, there should be no cause for concern because it is usually safe to do so. Please remember this the next time you are nearly wiped out at a junction ... it may seem like a close call to you but that's only because you lack the superior judgement and experience of the speeding RLJ'er. So relax folks, everything is under control!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've already sent in my riposte.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

I read that with distinct irritation this morning, having had two southbound cars breaking the lights over the canal at Harold's Cross while I was waiting in the turning box to take a right down the canal. This meant that the eastbound traffic from Parnell Road had already started to move when I was finally able to make my turn. It was safe enough for them to break the lights - just put me in a more hazardous position. So I guess that's all right then.

I wonder if it occurred to the writer that the "it's safe" rationale is precisely the same rationale used by most cyclists who break lights.

But then motorists pay road tax so they're entitled. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

"Motorists have more to lose than cyclists"

Yep, if a cyclist pulls out in front of a car which smashes into him, it's definitely the motorist that has more to lose.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

It is amusing that the writers of such rants often assume that cyclists don't have a car or van as well as their bike, and thus because the venerated driver pays motor tax and insurance they are superior creatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also impressed by his understanding of the reasons for bus lanes and public transport :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

in fairness, some (not all) of what he says is valid (although it's not conveyed particularly well).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dreamerb wrote: »
    I read that with distinct irritation this morning, having had two southbound cars breaking the lights over the canal at Harold's Cross while I was waiting in the turning box to take a right down the canal.

Ahh sure its ok they only did it because it was safe to do so! :D

Its sad how often breaking reds is cited as a cyclist issue, sit at any junction in Dublin City centre and you see the light be broken every time it changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

"During the above instances the watching motorists were holding their breath ..."

Someone should tell the writer that he can stop holding his breath now, he has clearly cut off oxygen to his brain and is delirious.

...but, more seriously, he does have some valid points as lennymc says, he has just wrapped them up in such self-serving prejudiced nonsense that they get lost in all the noise. Much like they do when the same points are made by idiots in all forms of transport that try to justify their own existence by demeaning users of any other form of transport. Such people fail to see that they are part of the problem rather than just breathless spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Forgot to mention the heinous crime exposed by Fintan O'Toole: cyclists freewheel down hills.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969422

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

"Traffic other than buses and taxis are forced into a diversion which must cost them 10-15 minutes extra time at rush hour, thereby increasing pollution and expense for all concerned. "

Reads like a píss take - very strange editorial decision to publish such a badly written letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

kenmc wrote: »
    Cracking choice of soundtrack tho.

I'm currently sat here listening to the album.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Bottom line for Mr. Cooke of Coolock is remove the "Two wheel menace" from the roads, take up bus-lanes so he can knock a few mins off the oul spin home in his 98 Micra.... :rolleyes: :D

51oink.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

lennymc wrote: »
    I'm currently sat here listening to the album.... :)
    Was I the only one watching that thinking "if he punctures out now he'll never get his camera/phone back"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

AGC wrote: »
    I like how a lot of the YouTube comments are along the lines of "OMG no helmet!", as if one would help at that speed.

As for the IT letter... are there such things as newspaper trolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That must have been stuck in the editors in tray from 31st march for publishing the next day.....

At least we're all cheery.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Morgase wrote: »
    It is amusing that the writers of such rants often assume that cyclists don't have a car or van as well as their bike, and thus because the venerated driver pays motor tax and insurance they are superior creatures.
    Whether they do or don't is completely irrelevant and self-defeating.

I don't pay motor tax to give me the right to cycle, I pay it to give me the right to drive.

Equally, another cyclist who chooses not to own a car has no less right to cycle on the road than I do.

The letters page is just like a non-anonymous Internet forum with strict moderation. But I guess the occasional bad post gets through the filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

very strange editorial decision to publish such a badly written letter.

It generates page views. If I owned a newspaper I'd have a never ending cyclists Vs motorist debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I like how a lot of the YouTube comments are along the lines of "OMG no helmet!", as if one would help at that speed.

Good point because I don't think that Mr Cooke lives in Greencastle Avenue,Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

It generates page views. If I owned a newspaper I'd have a never ending cyclists Vs motorist debate.

Absolutely. Ian O'Doherty, John Waters, Brenda Powers & Kevin Myers would make up the editorial team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

so true on the light debates, cyclists break lights in different ways but so many motorists go through red lights too. I really think once the luas is connected we have bring in congestion these one people cars driving in and out of town is beyond a joke.

Cycling in Dublin is in better shape than its been which shows you how bad it was and how bad it is elsewere, haven travelled to the UK a bit I always am amazed anyone could commute in London by bike. Every road could nearly have a bike lane painted out as it seems to cool drivers down even if road is still the same size )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Mass "Dear Liam" letter drop to Greencastle Avenue on its way...

the other note, build a nice road and only let cyclists go on it and it will last for decades unlike the awful roads we get from too many trucks and large mpv

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Mass "Dear Liam" letter drop to Greencastle Avenue on its way...

No need for a mass drop. The Internet scares me sometimes.

Link deleted - no need to give out Dear Liams full address here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »

Link deleted

He likes writing letters! You two should hook up!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

manafana wrote: »
    the other note, take a bunch of existing roads and only let cyclists go on them and they will last for decades

FYP

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    He likes writing letters! You two should hook up!

probably writes his letters while driving home since he can't use the bus lanes to drive thru the heart of the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buffalo wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Liam+Cooke+Greencastle+Avenue+Coolock

Man with a lot of time on his hands....

Advertisement