Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Mk3's, your photos

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    All of the 62xx coaches were sold, scrapped or blown up!
    blown up? jesus, didn't think irish rail were into blowing up carriges (sorry i just had to) reading the wikipedia page on the NIR class 80s it mentioned for a couple of them that "northern ireland railways destroyed this vehicle by fire" i take it that meant gass torch? (bit off topic i know but may as well get that question out of the way while discussing blowing up carriges)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

blown up? jesus, didn't think irish rail were into blowing up carriges (sorry i just had to) reading the wikipedia page on the NIR class 80s it mentioned for a couple of them that "northern ireland railways destroyed this vehicle by fire" i take it that meant gass torch? (bit off topic i know but may as well get that question out of the way while discussing blowing up carriges)

6204, 6206 and 6207 were sent to an RAF base in Cumbria and destroyed by explosives. It's actually mentioned in the link I just posted. I also have another photo of 6202 with all its windows smashed, as it was used for fire emergency training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

The carriages came out in sympathy with B201........ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Here's two from the IRRS tour in April 2010.

8389566795_3e72b3c302_c.jpg
    Untitled by csd75, on Flickr

8389571391_61bdac0135_c.jpg
    Untitled by csd75, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    IRN reports Waterford sets to be cut up next week.

That won't be happening. The tenders for scrapping are not due back till the end of January according to Irish Rail reportedly from the latest IRN posts.

So a few more weeks to get photos of them before they are gone.

• Advertisement

csd wrote: »
    Here's two from the IRRS tour in April 2010.
    In those photos they really don't look like coaches that were on their very last run.

Does anyone have a photo of the interior of Executive coach 7161? I believe it has a bar inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Karsini wrote: »
    In those photos they really don't look like coaches that were on their very last run.

That's what gets me though. I'd understand if they were on their last legs and were being held together with string and tape but they weren't in my experience of them. I mean would it not have made sense for IR to overhaul them if need be and repaint them in the new intercity livery and sort out a few of the 201s that aren't being used and not buy as many of the 22000s as they did and use that money to do what I've outlined above ?

Would it not mean more flexibility on the cork Dublin line and also on the enterprise if there was more capacity ?A loco failure wouldn't mean delays waiting for another one to arrive from whereever it is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stevie1987

Hi guys,

Just a quick one for you are the MK3's at North Wall still around or have they been scrapped yet?

I did see a number of MK3's in a fairly poor state on my way to Belfast just before the New Year. I was going up on the Enterprise for the RPSI mince pie special and I have to say I did enjoy every bit of the journey on the way up on the Enterprise. It’s the closest thing to travelling on an MK3 for me.

I'm actually on my way to Killarney this weekend and I have to say for the first time I'm actually not looking forward to the train journey (Not a fan or the MK4s, incorrect name I know in that they have no connection to the past MK3's). I'd wonder what the drivers of the DMU's think about the shift from loco hauled trains to an entire network of railcars (or close enough to it excluding the Dublin to Belfast & Dublin to Cork line)

I think for me my love for railways in Ireland has finally died (Except for the RPSI & Irish Traction group as well as other heritage societies, I do admire the work they do). Most joy of seeing trains on the Irish network comes now from Archive photos, videos or books. People can accuse me of being overly nostalgic but I don't think that’s the case. I visited Florence during last summer; on the Eurostar (Which is fantastic) they actually play videos of their past rolling stock and their progression as a company. Also everything works! Trains run on time and they get you to your destination quickly!

Maybe one day I can get an affordable train in Ireland from Dublin to Cork or Kerry, it will be comfortable and the food will be delicious! Oh I think a pig just flew past the window!! :-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was on a bus to Dublin Airport that passed North Wall, from what I could tell the MK3s were still in situ.

• Advertisement

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I was on a bus to Dublin Airport that passed North Wall, from what I could tell the MK3s were still in situ.

Humm I might have to venture down again and see if I can photograph them once more before they are scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw this link posted on IE facebook page and it has lots of video's from the past.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Twinkster79/videos?flow=grid&view=0

I have some new photographs of the MK3's which I took today (08/06/2013) this time in Digital rather than film, these include some interior shots of the Generator Vans and standard coaches. Will post some new photographs in the next few days.

Here is the first eight edited images I took on the 8th June 2013, I still have over four hundred RAW files to look at as well as the RPSI Mystery Train from the 9th. These are all exterior shots, I do have interior shots of the coaches (Which are literally falling apart inside) including the restaurant car and the generator vans. The coaches are in such a poor state now the chassis have begun to break apart. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenemeraldphotography/sets/72157634044766682/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's what gets me though. I'd understand if they were on their last legs and were being held together with string and tape but they weren't in my experience of them. I mean would it not have made sense for IR to overhaul them if need be and repaint them in the new intercity livery and sort out a few of the 201s that aren't being used and not buy as many of the 22000s as they did and use that money to do what I've outlined above ?

Would it not mean more flexibility on the cork Dublin line and also on the enterprise if there was more capacity ?A loco failure wouldn't mean delays waiting for another one to arrive from whereever it is ?
    There were a laundry list of caveats about the Mk3s - no retention tanks on the toilets, less accessible, needed the EGV, needed the loco to run around at terminus, no in seat power at all. Also, the Heuston facility they were serviced in was given over to Rotem for 22000 post-delivery fixes. IE don't do public accountability so we have no idea what the business case was for either of the 22000 class orders beyond a suspected preference by Dick Fearn for DMU operation. Politically it wouldn't have helped that the capacity for major refit works of the scale of refurbishing the Mark 3 fleet to "Mark 4 with better ride quality" is now absent from Inchicore whereas in the UK there would be a higher expectation that rail spend would have a domestic component.

dowlingm wrote: »
    There were a laundry list of caveats about the Mk3s - no retention tanks on the toilets, less accessible, needed the EGV, needed the loco to run around at terminus, no in seat power at all. Also, the Heuston facility they were serviced in was given over to Rotem for 22000 post-delivery fixes. IE don't do public accountability so we have no idea what the business case was for either of the 22000 class orders beyond a suspected preference by Dick Fearn for DMU operation. Politically it wouldn't have helped that the capacity for major refit works of the scale of refurbishing the Mark 3 fleet to "Mark 4 with better ride quality" is now absent from Inchicore whereas in the UK there would be a higher expectation that rail spend would have a domestic component.

Almost sure the Mark'3 have power points where the Mark4's do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stevie1987 wrote: »
    Here is the first eight edited images I took on the 8th June 2013, I still have over four hundred RAW files to look at as well as the RPSI Mystery Train from the 9th. These are all exterior shots, I do have interior shots of the coaches (Which are literally falling apart inside) including the restaurant car and the generator vans. The coaches are in such a poor state now the chassis have begun to break apart. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenemeraldphotography/sets/72157634044766682/

hmmm... closed account and closed flickr already. I guess someone in Irish Rail didn't like that...

hmmm... closed account and closed flickr already. I guess someone in Irish Rail didn't like that...

or somebody who doesn't like Irish Rail and spoiled it and the OP removed the pictures because of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I never seen the photos before they were taken down.How bad are the MK3s at the moment inside?I'd imagine they are a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

Rud wrote: »
    I never seen the photos before they were taken down.How bad are the MK3s at the moment inside?I'd imagine they are a disaster

Externally, they still don't look too bad. Internally, they're a mess. Scangers have been in shooting up in most of the carriages so not only are used needles lying about, but all the detritus associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

or somebody who doesn't like Irish Rail and spoiled it and the OP removed the pictures because of it.....
    If photos were taken on private property without permission then Irish Rail have every right to ask that they be removed from any site.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If photos were taken on private property without permission then Irish Rail have every right to ask that they be removed from any site.

Not everybody is perfect like you who wouldn't do anything that breaches the law, they were a few pictures that were removed due what people are commonly know as a "rat" who told IE about the pictures, I expect IE didn't ask nor do they care about the photo's but the OP decided it was best all round to take them down in case anything does arise out of it which is why many people didn't get to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not everybody is perfect like you who wouldn't do anything that breaches the law, they were a few pictures that were removed due what people are commonly know as a "rat" who told IE about the pictures, I expect IE didn't ask nor do they care about the photo's but the OP decided it was best all round to take them down in case anything does arise out of it which is why many people didn't get to see them.
    Is it not more likely that IE ordered the sites hosting the images to remove them because they were obtained without their permission?

Why would someone who highlights something that may be not just dangerous but is most likely illegal be called a "rat"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is it not more likely that IE ordered the sites hosting the images to remove them because they were obtained without their permission?

Why would someone who highlights something that may be not just dangerous but is most likely illegal be called a "rat"?

Just to be clear: He now has a permanent ban from here and C&T.

For a number of reasons including not following a mod instruction and accusing somebody of breaking the law with nothing to back that up after being told to drop the issue by PM. This ban is in the context of his disruptive posting record.

Do not respond to this post or his above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The chap could argue that he got permission from the security guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

To be honest, i doubt if Irish Rail went down that road and i cant see the need for someone to report any pictures that they find on the net to Irish Rail .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

monument wrote: »
    Just to be clear: He now has a permanent ban from here and C&T.

For a number of reasons including not following a mod instruction and accusing somebody of breaking the law with nothing to back that up after being told to drop the issue by PM. This ban is in the context of his disruptive posting record.

Do not respond to this post or his above posts.

Harsh if you ask me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement