Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push ups & stomach fat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Insufficient upper body muscle mass.

Relative to their weight.

If two people have the exact same upper body muscle mass, one might be able to a push up while the other mightn't as they are too heavy (overweight).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Relative to their weight.

If two people have the exact same upper body muscle mass, one might be able to a push up while the other mightn't as they are too heavy (overweight).
    Some people can't do then because they are significantly overweight, nobody is saying that's never happened.
    But your assertion that people who can't do push ups are "probably" overweight, that it's the most common reason, is pulled out of thin air.

Most people that I've seen struggle to do push ups were skinny people with low muse mass (underweight)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Mellor wrote: »
    Some people can't do then because they are significantly overweight, nobody is saying that's never happened.
    But your assertion that people who can't do push ups are "probably" overweight, that it's the most common reason, is pulled out of thin air.

Most people that I've seen struggle to do push ups were skinny people with low muse mass (underweight)

But did these underweight people have fat bellies thats the question here.

Well I wouldn't say it's out of thin air, 25% of the Irish population aged 20 or older are obese, (World health organisation 2013), that doesn't include overweight, this survey http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=19452 said that only 4% of the irish population are underweight. I'd say mathematically it's more probable if some one isn't able to do a push up it's due to being overweight than underweight purely because there are far more more people overweight than underweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well I wouldn't say it's out of thin air, 25% of the Irish population aged 20 or older are obese, (World health organisation 2013), that doesn't include overweight, this survey http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=19452 said that only 4% of the irish population are underweight. I'd say mathematically it's more probable if some one isn't able to do a push up it's due to being overweight than underweight purely because there are far more more people overweight than underweight.

The population's weight averages is a separate issue to the population's practice and ability to do pushups.

In this case the OP can run a marathon but can't do a full pushup comfortably. I'd imagine such a case is not all that uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Lol this argument is so flawed and you just pointed the flaw out yourself.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Lol this argument is so flawed and you just pointed the flaw out yourself.

I agree with LuckyLoyd, I was wrong because I didn't include the specific context of the OP. I don't agree with you though. How is my argument flawed? I hope it isn't because I said 25% obesity rate doesn't include the overweight population?

I agree with LuckyLoyd, I was wrong because I didn't include the specific context of the OP. I don't agree with you though. How is my argument flawed? I hope it isn't because I said 25% obesity rate doesn't include the overweight population?

Lol part came off a bit dickish, my bad. But it really seems like you're saying well most people are fat therefore most people can't do a push up because they're fat.

Lol part came off a bit dickish, my bad. But it really seems like you're saying well most people are fat therefore most people can't do a push up because they're fat.

My thinking was - If you get a sample of a hundred people, see how many can do a pushup, if 20 can't do it, chances are the vast majority can't do it as they're overweight, there could be some who can't because they're under weight but very few of that 20, if any. So it's more probable than being overweight is the cause.

But as LuckyLoyd kind of said, if you took a sample of 100 people with a belly who could run a marathon and see how many could do a push up, it is very very unlikely that the majority of those who can't, can't do it because they're overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This conversation probably stopped being useful a while ago. :P

But imagine a male in his early thirties. Has a healthy weight as defined by the BMI scale; works a desk job; rarely if ever volunteers for manual work outside of work (i.e. helping a friend move or whatever); exercise is running or cycling. Should we assume this guy can do a proper full form pushup without difficulty? I don't know the answer, I don't train people or own a gym. I would have assumed not though?

• Advertisement

My thinking was - If you get a sample of a hundred people, see how many can do a pushup, if 20 can't do it, chances are the vast majority can't do it as they're overweight, there could be some who can't because they're under weight but very few of that 20, if any. So it's more probable than being overweight is the cause.

This might be true of a random sample of people but for people who actually want to do one? Or more specific again anyone who would ask the question about doing them? I think this greatly reduces the numbers.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This conversation probably stopped being useful a while ago. :P

But imagine a male in his early thirties. Has a healthy weight as defined by the BMI scale; works a desk job; rarely if ever volunteers for manual work outside of work (i.e. helping a friend move or whatever); exercise is running or cycling. Should we assume this guy can do a proper full form pushup without difficulty? I don't know the answer, I don't train people or own a gym. I would have assumed not though?

The main reason for disagreement is people working of different premises so for example we could disagree all day about GMO being 'good' or 'bad' but until we break down are arguments and see what 'facts' were working off we'll never sort it out, for instance you might think GMOs might have been proven to be unhealthy/dangerous where as I know they haven't and once we agree there we can properly debate.

I think you found that 'fact'! I presumed that most of the people you've described could do a push up (not including the without difficulty part), but you have me doubting myself now. I wonder out of 10 people in the same situation, how many could do a single push up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

What wrong with a lean cut of pork?

At no point did i say there was anything wrong with pork, i just said that IN MY OPINION if you're looking to lower your body-fat percentage, chicken/fish would be better than pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    At no point did i say there was anything wrong with pork, i just said that IN MY OPINION if you're looking to lower your body-fat percentage, chicken/fish would be better than pork.

Why do you say this? Eating fat doesn't make you fat so eating lean wont make you lean.

Dietsquirt wrote: »

Why do you say this? Eating fat doesn't make you fat so eating lean wont make you lean.

Maybe he finds chicken or fish provides more satiety so he eats less. He's clearly stated it's his personal opinion and he's not trying to push it on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Maybe he finds chicken or fish provides more satiety so he eats less. He's clearly stated it's his personal opinion and he's not trying to push it on people.

Maybe he does, thats why i asked :)

What's up with the quoting system? It;s gone all screwy.
    So if I am eating too much protein now and the extra protein is being converted to fat can I just wait until the muscles grow and this extra protein intake is right for maintenace instead of lowering protein and highering it again in a few months?
    Im comfortable with this diet the belly isnt huge just about a thumb with of fat if i grab below belly button, its not an emergency like.

No it doesn't really work this way. Protein can't be stored up like that (for the sake of this argument anyway). There's no real reason to go low protein. Why do you want to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

What's up with the quoting system? It;s gone all screwy.

No it doesn't really work this way. Protein can't be stored up like that (for the sake of this argument anyway). There's no real reason to go low protein. Why do you want to?

Sorry I posted that on wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

my head hurts is it from
    A being overweight
    B being underweight
    C reading this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cut out the bread
    Do some weighted exercises to fill out the rest of your body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it's his opinion that's fine, but people are still entitles to ask him what his reasoning is?
    Otherwise how are others supposed to make informed decisions on their own opinion.

FWIW, the reason I asked was because pork and chicken are very broad terms. At one end you got Pork belly which is very fatty and indulgent, not good on a diet. But pork fillet is leaner than skinless chicken breast, if take that over drumsticks for example.

Advertisement