Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Setanta are showing Newcastle & Villa next Saturday.

3 Newcastle games in a row :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭notmyusername

mikeym wrote: »
    Setanta are showing Newcastle & Villa next Saturday.

3 Newcastle games in a row :eek:

At least they have something riding on them; unlike the Everton game a few weeks back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I'd made my point and discussion was finished; if you wished to continue why didn't you PM?

Back on topic; anyone think Setanta will ignore football altogether at 3pm Saturdays next season?

It will of course be interesting to see how Sky deal with the 5 times limit although they've had more experience than Setanta at it of course. It is fair to say Setanta have made a mess of the quotas.

They might pitch in for the rugby pro 12 as sky currently show sat 3pm games and are coming to the end of the 3 yr deal and are not over keen to renew so I hear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's a four year deal that still has two years to run, so I wouldn't expect news on that yet.

Will the Champions League final be FTV/FTA on Bt Sport?

And will the Europa League final be FTV/FTA on Bt Sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They will be FTA on their BT Showcase channel. I think I read somewhere that BT will also stream them on Youtube.

YouTube was talked about only, and if they do it, it would have to be geoblocked to UK only.

BT Sport Showcase is only on Freeview (DTT), not satellite.

icdg wrote: »
    it would have to be geoblocked to UK only.

Obviously. UEFA wouldn't allow it otherwise.

Interesting. Thought the whole competition was exclusively on bt/setanta.

• Advertisement

That's what was announced at the time, but then TV3 announced this later. May have been a UEFA stipulation to organise a FTA outlet for the final, we can but speculate on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

tv3 and bbc showing the fa cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

What was up with the InsureMyVan pop up banner every few minutes during the Europa league on Setanta last week? Isn't that in breach of UEFA advertising regulations? It was like watching a match on American tv.

Was yesterday Setanta's last Premier League game then? Every year since at least 2010 they've had a game on the last day but none is currently scheduled. Did they say anything at the end of the programme (or if it was indeed their last, do anything to mark the occasion).

Was yesterday Setanta's last Premier League game then? Every year since at least 2010 they've had a game on the last day but none is currently scheduled. Did they say anything at the end of the programme (or if it was indeed their last, do anything to mark the occasion).

Yesterday was their 33rd game of the season - which makes their decision to show a meaningless game over a meaningful Manchester United game a few weeks back even more bizarre than it appeared at the time.

I'm not really sure why anyone would expect Setanta to make a big deal over no longer having the 3pm contract - remember, not only was it not necessarily Setanta's last ever game but the Setanta Pack do still have the Premier League of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Joo0 wrote: »
    What was up with the InsureMyVan pop up banner every few minutes during the Europa league on Setanta last week? Isn't that in breach of UEFA advertising regulations? It was like watching a match on American tv.

It looks awful - and so tacky and cheap.

Trying to figure out how 33 games got used before the final day (as there are normally only 32 rounds played on Saturdays) but I can only think it was because, this season, St Stephens Day and New Years fixture lists were played on a Saturday so Setanta got two games in where they usually would only get one.

I wouldn't expect there to be live Premier League ever again on a Setanta branded channel - in three years time there may be less games than ever played Saturday 3pm, and I suspect Setanta may no longer be trading under the name "Setanta" by the time that occurs, even if Eir did manage to win the rights back.

I wouldn't expect there to be live Premier League ever again on a Setanta branded channel - in three years time there may be less games than ever played Saturday 3pm, and I suspect Setanta may no longer be trading under the name "Setanta" by the time that occurs, even if Eir did manage to win the rights back.

Well unless the channel is closed down and totally relaunched it is simply a rebrand therefore it is quite obviously the same channel.

One way or another Saturday was not necessarily the last time a PL game will appear on the channel but, whatever happens going forward in terms of how rights are sold, quite naturally no channel will make a song and dance about not being able to show one of their biggest subscriber pullers (aside from the fact the PL will continue to be on the Setanta Pack - or whatever it's rebranded as).

When I was watching the Newcastle/Aston Villa I swore I thought I saw Setanta advertise that they were showing the last game of the season during the match.

But obviously they arent showing a match this Sunday.

Can anyone else back me up or was I imaging things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭markc91

Id imagine they have a game yeah, Afaik they had one the last few seasons on the final day!

• Advertisement

markc91 wrote: »
    Id imagine they have a game yeah, Afaik they had one the last few seasons on the final day!

You'd imagine :D

The fact is this: their package was for 33 games per season. They've aired 33 games this season. How do you imagine they'll have a game?

PS what's happened in previous seasons has no bearing on this season ;)
    When I was watching the Newcastle/Aston Villa I swore I thought I saw Setanta advertise that they were showing the last game of the season during the match.

But obviously they arent showing a match this Sunday.

Can anyone else back me up or was I imaging things?

Setanta is so professional they probably thought they had a game until somebody there used more than their fingers and toes to tot up the season's total :)

markc91 wrote: »

Their schedules say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2 friendly internationals to be screened but thats the lot from Setanta for this season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Plenty of Irish football will be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

muffler wrote: »
    2 friendly internationals to be screened but thats the lot from Setanta for this season

EL Final is on Setanta Ireland aswell as TV3

YouTube was talked about only

Turns out they more than talked about it as BT will show both finals live on YouTube for UK viewers. BBC reported it today.

Yup, was announced today. UK IP addresses only.

There is a Premier League game in Setanta Sports 1's schedule now for Sunday 2:30pm, though it's unclear what game has been picked.

Edit; I understand that it's Newcastle vTottenham

There is a Premier League game in Setanta Sports 1's schedule now for Sunday 2:30pm, though it's unclear what game has been picked.

Edit; I understand that it's Newcastle vTottenham

It looks like, in the same way as the quotas were overridden a couple of months back,that Setanta have been allowed to discard the terms of their contract.

Given what's on Sky I can't see much of an audience for that game though :)

• Advertisement

Newcastle on again.

What a joke.

Advertisement