Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Not many weeks left of Premier league on Setanta, What changes do we expect to see on the channel? Must be a few job losses on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I doubt there'll be that many changes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Joo0 wrote: »
    Not many weeks left of Premier league on Setanta, What changes do we expect to see on the channel? Must be a few job losses on the horizon.

The news on that front is that the Eir acquisition of Setanta closed yesterday. The next thing to see is what happens with the GAA rights, which are up for sale this summer. Going forward Premier Sports and Setanta will be separate companies, though I imagine we'll still see co-operation between the two and I wouldn't be surprised if a long term deal is done so that Setanta remains Premiers distributor in Ireland. So the question is, what will Eir do to bolster Setanta Ireland's line up, which is only getting weaker? I suspect the GAA rights may be a way of doing that, if Eir put the money in, and if GAA will play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Agree with you regarding GAA rights, they should go for more national league rights to include Sunday matches as well as their Saturday night rights, or maybe try for a co deal with TG4 for club games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Possible options for Eir Sports.

3pm Skybet Championship Matches.
    3pm Scottish Premiership Matches.
    2:30pm Bundesliga Matches.
    More Airtricity Football matches.

They need a good alternative to what Sky will be showing on Saturdays or else they will see a decrease in subs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

are setanta/bt losing premier league games next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭notmyusername

are setanta/bt losing premier league games next season?

They already have, to Sky.

but are the losing the 12.45 and the 3.00 on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mikeym wrote: »
    Possible options for Eir Sports.

3pm Skybet Championship Matches.
    3pm Scottish Premiership Matches.
    2:30pm Bundesliga Matches.
    More Airtricity Football matches.

They need a good alternative to what Sky will be showing on Saturdays or else they will see a decrease in subs.

Only 2:30 Bundesliga matches will do IMO. The mid table teams don't get nearly enough coverage unless they're playing Bayern or Dortmund, and those mid table games can be really fun, high scoring affairs a lot of the time. I'd certainly rather see Mainz vs. Hamburg over the likes of Leeds vs. Charlton, that's for sure.

but are the losing the 12.45 and the 3.00 on saturday?

Sky Sports will have the UK/Irish rights for the 12.45pms from next season for at least three years.

BT Sport have the rights to the 12.45s at present in UK/Ireland; their package from next season for at least three years will be the 5.30pms.

Setanta have the Irish rights to the 3pms at present; for at least three years from next season Sky Sports will own the Irish rights.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only 2:30 Bundesliga matches will do IMO. The mid table teams don't get nearly enough coverage unless they're playing Bayern or Dortmund, and those mid table games can be really fun, high scoring affairs a lot of the time. I'd certainly rather see Mainz vs. Hamburg over the likes of Leeds vs. Charlton, that's for sure.

You might; but if they are to have any hopes of competing they will need either (or both) Championship or Scottish...

You might; but if they are to have any hopes of competing they will need either (or both) Championship or Scottish...

Celtic rarely play at the 3pm slot, and no other Scottish team has anywhere close to as much of an Irish following, so I can't imagine that'll keep too many subs. The Championship is of a higher quality to the SPL but I still can't see that doing much for subs.

As a fan of football, Bundesliga matches are what I'd like to see of course, but in all fairness there's a bit of demand for the other leagues mentioned as well. It's something not everyone will ever be able to agree on tbh.

Celtic rarely play at the 3pm slot, and no other Scottish team has anywhere close to as much of an Irish following, so I can't imagine that'll keep too many subs. The Championship is of a higher quality to the SPL but I still can't see that doing much for subs.

As a fan of football, Bundesliga matches are what I'd like to see of course, but in all fairness there's a bit of demand for the other leagues mentioned as well. It's something not everyone will ever be able to agree on tbh.

Interesting that you argue that a package shouldn't be bid for based on the amount of Irish followers yet advocate Bundesliga ;)

Leeds and Celtic play at the 3pm slot enough to make it a viable alternative; the novelty for mid-table Bundesliga matches would wear off very quickly especially when competing with live Premier League AND Soccer Saturday :)

Sky Sports will have the UK/Irish rights for the 12.45pms from next season for at least three years.

BT Sport have the rights to the 12.45s at present in UK/Ireland; their package from next season for at least three years will be the 5.30pms.

Setanta have the Irish rights to the 3pms at present; for at least three years from next season Sky Sports will own the Irish rights.

will probably cancel my bt account then. dont really watch the other leagues or even other sports like the rugby. tbh i only really watch united, so no point having something i dont use.

Setanta will lose the 3pm matches, but BT will have Saturday 5:30pm KOs.

Interesting that you argue that a package shouldn't be bid for based on the amount of Irish followers yet advocate Bundesliga ;)

Leeds and Celtic play at the 3pm slot enough to make it a viable alternative; the novelty for mid-table Bundesliga matches would wear off very quickly especially when competing with live Premier League AND Soccer Saturday :)

I never once said that my argument for Bundesliga matches wasn't for purely selfish reasons though. ;)

From an entertainment aspect, I'm sure most of the Irish neutrals would go for Bundesliga as well, it's a great league by all accounts.

icdg wrote: »
    Setanta will lose the 3pm matches, but BT will have Saturday 5:30pm KOs.

Wasn't this already answered?
    I never once said that my argument for Bundesliga matches wasn't for purely selfish reasons though. ;)

To your first point, fair enough except you are arguing against the other packages.
    I'm sure most of the Irish neutrals would go for Bundesliga as well,.

I sincerely doubt it lol

I sincerely doubt it lol

Why? Keep in mind, I'm talking about football fans, not English football fans, of course supporters of Championship teams would want those on TV, but that's not the set of people I'm talking about.

Why? Keep in mind, I'm talking about football fans, not English football fans, of course supporters of Championship teams would want those on TV, but that's not the set of people I'm talking about.

I know what you're saying but that would be an overwhelming minority; especially compared to the numbers who would be interested in English/Scottish football - including neutrals.

I know what you're saying but that would be an overwhelming minority; especially compared to the numbers who would be interested in English/Scottish football - including neutrals.

Fair enough, there are just about enough SPL and FL supporters over here to warrant it. I'd just like to see more quality football on the telly tbh, and I'm not alone in that. Sky Sports have a decent amount of SPL and Championship matches, the Bundesliga have a couple of matches on BT at the weekends, at the end of the day if people subscribe to both they'll end up watching the Premier League game at 3pm on Sky Sports next season, and the Bundesliga/SPL/Championship match won't get much of a look in comparison. Sky Sports already have the subs of many SPL and FL fans because they've been showing those leagues for so long, so it'd be very hard for Setanta to coax them away, even with 3pm kickoffs.

As I said though, the 3pm Premier League games are what'll get the viewers, and whatever Setanta show will end up with the vast minority of viewers because Sky took away one of their biggest selling points. In essence, it's a discussion over what a much smaller number of people will watch.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, there are just about enough SPL and FL supporters over here to warrant it. I'd just like to see more quality football on the telly tbh, and I'm not alone in that. Sky Sports have a decent amount of SPL and Championship matches, the Bundesliga have a couple of matches on BT at the weekends, at the end of the day if people subscribe to both they'll end up watching the Premier League game at 3pm on Sky Sports next season, and the Bundesliga/SPL/Championship match won't get much of a look in comparison. Sky Sports already have the subs of many SPL and FL fans because they've been showing those leagues for so long, so it'd be very hard for Setanta to coax them away, even with 3pm kickoffs.

As I said though, the 3pm Premier League games are what'll get the viewers, and whatever Setanta show will end up with the vast minority of viewers because Sky took away one of their biggest selling points. In essence, it's a discussion over what a much smaller number of people will watch.

All fair points of course.

Setanta would probably be better off not spending money attempting to compete.

All fair points of course.

Setanta would probably be better off not spending money attempting to compete.

That's essentially it. 3pm on Saturday is never a slot they can expect to win.

That's essentially it. 3pm on Saturday is never a slot they can expect to win.

Championship games are a moot point anyway; Sky hold the rights for Ireland exclusively.

The Scottish rights are sold differently of course; no doubt the SPFL would welcome extra revenue from a 3pm package for Ireland - no matter how small the sums involved.

Wasn't this already answered

Incorrectly, or incompletely, or at best judging from the reply, was misunderstood.

Incorrectly.

Care to elaborate what was incorrect about...

Incorrectly.

Care to elaborate what was incorrect about...

Or indeed, incomplete???
    Incorrectly, or incompletely, or at best judging from the reply, was misunderstood.

Was the post I replied to. The other post wasn't there at the time I wrote the answer. I'm suffering from intermittent internet access here so that may be the reason.

Was the post I replied to. The other post wasn't there at the time I wrote the answer. I'm suffering from intermittent internet access here so that may be the reason.

13.17 - my response that I quoted above.

13.30 - your response.

You said the earlier response there was incorrect (it wasn't)

Who's incorrect exactly ;)

If you want to carry on this discussion we can do it by PM, but right now this thread is gone way off topic so we won't continue it here

• Advertisement

If you want to carry on this discussion we can do it by PM, but right now this thread is gone way off topic so we won't continue it here

I'd made my point and discussion was finished; if you wished to continue why didn't you PM?

Back on topic; anyone think Setanta will ignore football altogether at 3pm Saturdays next season?

It will of course be interesting to see how Sky deal with the 5 times limit although they've had more experience than Setanta at it of course. It is fair to say Setanta have made a mess of the quotas.

Advertisement