Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options in Quin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

My latest speedtest. Think it's time to call it a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,
    I'm in the Ballyhickey area outside quin. Eircom broadband is also pathetic here, download speed an average of 0.16. I've wasted about 10 hours on the phone to them and they've concluded that it's as good as we'll get because we share the line... I asked if we could share the bill with all those people too but no luck!
    So sick of it now, bought a smart tv (silly me) when we originally got the broadband, it worked ok for a while but in last 7 months it's been really dire. Netflix reloads every 30 seconds etc.
    So I've contacted ripplecom, haven't heard back, will try this kbo crowd next and and bb broadband. Anyone else in ballyhickey area?
    Dongles aren't an option as we rarely have either 02 or Vodafone reception...

I have read of some people succeeding in getting their line changed from 'shared' so they get much better (alleged) broadband.
    It might be something worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

huh? the eircom backhaul into quin is 8megabits. there's no getting around that fact. and you can barely get mobile coverage. until eircom upgrade the backhaul, we're all sh-it out of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

Thanks guys!
    I've tried EVERYTHING, rang them countless times. Most frustrating thing is that they all have something different to say depending on who you get... A guy on tech support said I should ask to upgrade line to 8, in the hope that I might get 2 out of it, he said line was showing that that was possible.
    Had to go through sales to do that and they concluded the maximum the line could take is two (even though we pay for 3) .
    An engineer has been out 4 times and each time the line has tested good for 3.
    Everything is set up properly , checked it loads of times...
    In fairness she gave me some credit on account as we are basically paying for nothing! (after I threw a major hissy fit 😠😠😠😠😠😠)
    So planning on getting rid of broadband and just paying landline with account credit, while shopping around for best service...
    So unfair to think of all those people paying the same as us and actually being able to stream things, 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭digitalsystem

Hi all, sorry for bringing up an old thread, I will be moving to Quin (beside the national school) in the new year and made some calls to the different suppliers. The fixed line options seem to be terrible and haven't improved from what people have described above and no one I spoke to knows when anything will be upgraded...
    Also called BB net and Ripplecom who seemed to offer more hope for download speeds than the fixed line. They both said they had lots of customers in the Quin area and that no issues with speed being impacted in the evening (ripplecom said that it would not go below 3mbs)
    Has anyone on this thread or further any experience with either of these and what the actual performance is like versus the sales pitch I received?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I can tell you straight out that they're bull****ting you. Line speed in Quin is terrible end of story. Plenty on here with Ripple and are not happy.

mobile phone coverage is a joke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

Hi all, sorry for bringing up an old thread, I will be moving to Quin (beside the national school) in the new year and made some calls to the different suppliers. The fixed line options seem to be terrible and haven't improved from what people have described above and no one I spoke to knows when anything will be upgraded...
    Also called BB net and Ripplecom who seemed to offer more hope for download speeds than the fixed line. They both said they had lots of customers in the Quin area and that no issues with speed being impacted in the evening (ripplecom said that it would not go below 3mbs)
    Has anyone on this thread or further any experience with either of these and what the actual performance is like versus the sales pitch I received?
    Thanks

I'ld say I won't be living too far from you. I'm using 02 mobile broadband and get 3g reception in one particular room at the front of the house which can then be spread to the rest of the house. €35 for 30gb per month so not too bad and speed is good. Fibre is being laid to the exchange in Quin at the moment, but it could be a while before it is all connected.

If you want you can PM me and I can call over to you with the mobile device to see if you get a 3g signal in any room or you can always get a trial period with 02 and do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walls2

I've been with Ripplecom since they introduced a service to Quin. Average speeds of 3-5 MBS download & 1 upload. Never a problem with service. 70gb allowance/month. I've also the landline included for €55/month. Fibre Optic BBand will be available early next year. The cables have been laid so might not be a great idea to tie yourself into a lengthy contract & Ripplecom do charge for installation whilst I believe bbnet aren't accepting new customers! Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭digitalsystem

thanks all for the information. Is there confirmation that fiber is coming from providers? The reason I ask the question is that the eircom rep I spoke with said that there was no plans to upgrade the current infrastructure for 2015.
    Then again they might not know what the upgrade plans are...
    Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

thanks all for the information. Is there confirmation that fiber is coming from providers? The reason I ask the question is that the eircom rep I spoke with said that there was no plans to upgrade the current infrastructure for 2015.
    Then again they might not know what the upgrade plans are...
    Thanks

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

According to the above link, it appears there's no date to roll-out fibre, however I suspect it may be next year by the time fibre will reach Quin. Eircom are aiming to have Quin done by July 2016 and I think it's unlikely that this will be completed this year. If it is completed, I suspect it will be in the late months of the year once Kilrush & Kilkee is finished. Kilrush is due to be completed in Spring/Summer this year so I suspect they are waiting to complete Kilrush before going to West and East Clare.

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »

According to the above link, it appears there's no date to roll-out fibre, however I suspect it may be next year by the time fibre will reach Quin. Eircom are aiming to have Quin done by July 2016 and I think it's unlikely that this will be completed this year. If it is completed, I suspect it will be in the late months of the year once Kilrush & Kilkee is finished. Kilrush is due to be completed in Spring/Summer this year so I suspect they are waiting to complete Kilrush before going to West and East Clare.

Would it not be more likely that Quin would be done while the guys are in the area doing Newmarket which I think is due to be done early next year? (heck maybe I am mis-recalling?)

I have no idea how they work .... just wondering .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/

There are a few options out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Anyone any update on this ?

I started with Ripplicom , moved to Vodafone and with Eircom over a year now ( was definitely faster than Vodafone initially but has drastically slowed down over the last while)

I am far from a techhie but just anxious to get the best service , rarely use during the day but required sometimes for work , generally just evenings and wkends

any help appreciated

It seems eir intend to roll out FTTH along the roads outside Quin

If you happen to be on one of the routes it is likely you will get FTTH - eventually.

Not much use now I know .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

omg i just checked and they look to be stopping about 100m before my house . bloody typical :(

omg i just checked and they look to be stopping about 100m before my house . bloody typical :(

NBP after that it seems ..... which hopefully will be FTTH also.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Fibre has arrived it seems , have ordered my upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

still doesn't say live on openeir.ie: 'Fibre Broadband Cabinet is expected to go Live on 22-Jun-16'

i ordered weeks ago, they said they'd email when it's actually live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

ThreadNecro.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scar001

Got it installed today.

29 megs down.
    7.5 megs up.

Moved to Eir about a month ago and suffered a pathetic 1.5 megs down.
    Sorted now.

Capped at 30megs down I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Scar001 wrote: »
    Got it installed today.

29 megs down.
    7.5 megs up.

Moved to Eir about a month ago and suffered a pathetic 1.5 megs down.
    Sorted now.

Capped at 30megs down I believe.

How far are you from the cabinet? For that speed you should be about 900mts away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scar001

Deagol wrote: »
    How far are you from the cabinet? For that speed you should be about 900mts away.

5443422582.png

About 700 metres from cabinet.
    Assuming speed test is correct, I was mistaken about the 30meg limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

That's likely the 40-10 rate adaptive profile you're on.

If your estimate of distance is accurate I reckon a tidy up of the internal wiring would might get you to the 50-15 profile ;)

Advertisement