Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Snapchat type feature?

Options
  • 14-05-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I think adding a type of Snapchat feature might be worth exploring. There are already threads in different forums on this site that allows people post up personal photos of themselves or whatever.

The problem with the way personal photos are posted on this site is the permanency of it. I could post a picture of my ugly mug and it's up on public display forever (unless I beg a mod to take it down and they can still say no?). At least with Facebook you have control of putting up and taking down personal photos at will, or that Snapchat photos sent only last a set period of time.

It's just an idea that could help make the site a little better.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a huge element of trust on the site though.

As a mod, it would be trolled to feck.

We've 2 or 3 guys who re-reg maybe 1000''s of times a year. Would be a fascinating insight into their psychology, but scarey alk the same.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Upload to photobucket or some such site. If unhappy you delete it off photobucket and you get an "Image not found" on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I could post a picture of my ugly mug and it's up on public display forever (unless I beg a mod to take it down and they can still say no?).
    Attachments you've posted on Boards are available at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editattachments and can be deleted like on any other hosting site

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

There would be absolutely no good reason for a mod to refuse to remove a pic for you.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Using an image host is probably the best way around this as others have suggested. Unfortunately, the downside is that if there's a picture you want to actually keep, you will find it automatically disappears after time when the URL is recycled.

I find the best way of attaching images is to upload them as an attachment. If needs be, you can use the link 28064212 provided to later delete the attachment.

But as whoopsi says, there's no reason whatsoever for a mod to refuse to delete an image you've posted of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There would be absolutely no good reason for a mod to refuse to remove a pic for you.

If someone posted a pic, and that generated discussion, then I would be unwilling to remove that pic unless there were extenuating circumstances.

That's in a forum which has a policy in the charter that we don't delete posts after they have generated discussions.

If someone posted a pic, and that generated discussion, then I would be unwilling to remove that pic unless there were extenuating circumstances.

That's in a forum which has a policy in the charter that we don't delete posts after they have generated discussions.

That's understandable to a degree, however, admin have always stated that if a post contains personal or identifying information and a user requests its removal, then it should be removed. I would assume then, that admin would agree to delete a post in which someone has posted an identifying picture, if that poster requests its removal. Perhaps I am wrong in that regard.

Certainly in After Hours, we would have no issue removing a post which contains a photo. The same would have applied when I was a mod of The Ladies' Lounge and I know myself, that I've had a post removed from Cool Vids without any issue before.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

28064212 wrote: »
    Attachments you've posted on Boards are available at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editattachments and can be deleted like on any other hosting site
    Good call, forgot about that. <3 28064212
    (unless I beg a mod to take it down and they can still say no?)

As whoops mentioned, we'd remove a pic that you posted that shows your face if requested, it's personal identifying information. Or if a pic of you is posted by someone and you're named in the pic etc.

Advertisement