Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Branded Vs. Generic tyres?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

T-Maxx wrote: »
    You would really need to be a professional racing driver to notice the difference between tire brands...

Can't say I agree. I noticed at very low speeds, specially at runabouts and similar.

Many people don't even notice they have a puncture for example. Its not unusual to get into someone else's car, like a partners, or a someone in the family and notice a problem, that they've never noticed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

You would really need to be a professional racing driver to notice the difference between tire brands - the bulk of motorists will never notice any difference. To buy top quality high performance branded rubber (for when a child just might run out in front of you:rolleyes:) is false security and extreme insurance.

that is the sillyest thing ive ever heard in my life....how would you feel if your child ran out on front of my car and i was not able to avoid him/her because the tyres on my car where cheap and provided poor grip?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You would really need to be a professional racing driver to notice the difference between tire brands - the bulk of motorists will never notice any difference. To buy top quality high performance branded rubber (for when a child just might run out in front of you) is false security and extreme insurance.

Again, there's a middle ground. I don't think you need to pay top dollar as there are a good few brands in the middle of the market that are pretty good.

However, some of the cheap brands really are awful, and it would only take a slightly damp day for the lack of quality to be pretty noticeable in normal driving conditions. Triangles are a good example (well, a bad example).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It is according to European law. Like I said its not enforced here, by the garda or the NCTS or any government body.

It doesn't matter if both tyres are, for example, 205/55/16 V rated. If they are from different brands, they will have different thread compounds, different wear rating and different thread pattern amongst other differences and so will have different grip and road holding characteristics, leading to reduced handling and braking stability. This is even true of different tyre models from the same company.

Interesting, you have a link to this EU law?

As far as I understood it, European law only required that tyres be of the same 'type' on the same axle but some jurisdictions chose to interpret this to mean same brand on all wheels.

BTW, cheapo tyres aren't known as 'ditch finders' for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Interesting, you have a link to this EU law?

As far as I understood it, European law only required that tyres be of the same 'type' on the same axle but some jurisdictions chose to interpret this to mean same brand on all wheels.

BTW, cheapo tyres aren't known as 'ditch finders' for nothing.

I don't have a link to the laws, I didn't get them online, I have literature somewhere from training I was doing with Bridgestone.

I would only take tyres of the same type to mean exactly that, the same type,meaning brand, size, speed rating etc.

With regards to people saying you would have to be a race driver to feel the difference. Its worrying to think that there are people driving around with such a lack of knowledge of what is going on under them as they drive along.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You would really need to be a professional racing driver to notice the difference between tire brands - the bulk of motorists will never notice any difference. To buy top quality high performance branded rubber (for when a child just might run out in front of you:rolleyes:) is false security and extreme insurance.
    Forget anecdotal experience, there are hundreds of tests showing the difference between tyre brands, especially when it comes to braking and wet performance.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: all you like, the facts are that different tyres perform signficantly differently. Surprise!

I suppose winter tyres are a scam too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Probably one of the most ridiculous statements i've ever read on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

10o0ba9.jpg

Just..leave..and never come back.

I don't have a link to the laws, I didn't get them online, I have literature somewhere from training I was doing with Bridgestone.

I would only take tyres of the same type to mean exactly that, the same type,meaning brand, size, speed rating etc.

With regards to people saying you would have to be a race driver to feel the difference. Its worrying to think that there are people driving around with such a lack of knowledge of what is going on under them as they drive along.:rolleyes:

I was able to find 92/23/EEC which seems to be the relevant legislation. It's best to read the consolidated version 2006-01-01 (PDF) as it includes all subsequent amendments currently in force.

Appendix IV
    3.2. Tyre fitment
    3.2.1. All of the tyres fitted to a vehicle, excluding any temporary use spare, must have the same structure (see Annex II section 2.3).
    3.2.2. All of the tyres fitted to one axle must be of the same type (see Annex II section 2.1).
    3.2.3. The space in which the wheel revolves must be such as to allow unrestricted movement when using the maximum permissible size of tyres within the suspension and steering constraints provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

It says that you must use exactly identical tyres on the same axle, which indeed makes good sense. But it only requires that all tyres be structurally the same, so you could have a pair of Dunlops on front and a pair of Nankangs on the back and still be legal if they have the EU mark and same construction.

It also says that all tyres must meet the speed rating of the car but doesn't say they must be the same rating. If your car requires H you can fit any combination from H up, but you can't fit any tyre less than H.

There may be something else which states all types must be identical but I can't find it. Individual countries may higher demands than the Directive but that's not binding elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you sure 'same type' does not just mean radial or cross-ply?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Esel wrote: »
    Are you sure 'same type' does not just mean radial or cross-ply?

I understood thats what hes saying. Same construction etc.

No, "type of tyre" is different to "structure" as it is specific to the manufacturer.

link
    1. DEFINITIONS
    2. For the purposes of this Directive:
    2.1. ‘type of tyre’ means a category of tyres which do not differ in such essential respects as:
    2.1.1. manufacturer's name or trade mark;
    2.1.2. tyre-size designation;
    2.1.3. category of use:
    — normal: normal road-use tyre,
    — special: special-use tyre, e.g. tyre for mixed use (both on and off the road) and at restricted speed,
    — snow tyre,
    — temporary-use spare tyre;
    2.1.4. structure (diagonal (bias-ply), bias-belted, radial-ply);
    2.1.5. speed category;
    2.1.6. load capacity index;
    2.1.7. tyre cross-section;
    2.3. ‘structure’ of a tyre means the technical characteristics of the tyre's carcass. The following structures are distinguished in particular:
    2.3.1. ‘diagonal’ or ‘bias-ply’ describes a tyre structure in which the ply cords extend to the bead and are laid at alternate angles of substantially less than 90o to the centreline of the tread;
    2.3.2. ‘bias-belted’ describes a tyre structure of diagonal (bias-ply) type in which the carcass is restricted by a belt comprising two or more layers of substantially inextensible cord material laid at alternate angles close to those of the carcass;
    2.3.3. ‘radial’ describes a tyre structure in which the ply cords extend to the beads and are laid substantially at 90o to the centreline of the tread, the carcass being stabilized by an essentially inextensible circumferential belt;
    2.3.4. ‘reinforce’ describes a tyre structure in which the carcass is more resistant than that of the corresponding standard tyre;
    2.3.5. ‘temporary-use spare tyre’ means a tyre different from a tyre intended to be fitted to any vehicle for normal driving conditions; but intended only for temporary use under restricted driving conditions;
    2.3.6. ‘T-type temporary-use spare tyre’ means a type of temporary-use spare tyre designed for use at inflation pressure higher than those established for standard and reinforced tyres;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Jayzus... this is all great information. I am still going out and paying mad money for my Michelin Primacy HP's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Jaysus, there I was thinking that common sense would prevail nowadays and that people would start copping on! Brand snobbery is still alive and well it seems!

Anyways, my budget tyres are getting me from A to B in the same time as everybody else.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Jaysus, there I was thinking that common sense would prevail nowadays and that people would start copping on! Brand snobbery is still alive and well it seems!

Anyways, my budget tyres are getting me from A to B in the same time as everybody else.:cool:

Follow the thread and my earlier posts:rolleyes:..

My tyres transport my wife and 3 young kids around everyday and have done so safely for the last 23k miles so if you want to go buy your budget tyres then fire on - don't preach to me about brand snobbery.

If you wore the same kaks for 3 years and then you worried the cheap ones might give you itchy crotch... would you buy the cheap one's? No, you would go buy the ones that have worked well up to now; even if they were calvin kleins!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Going through all your posts i knew you didnt have a clue what you were on about RE: European Union law and tyre specification/safety. I knew you wouldnt be able to show a link to the legislation on tyres because no such law exists and if it does then trust me Ireland would be complying with it. If they were not they would be paying MASSIVE fines daily for every day that they are in breach of EU law. I have spent the last 3-4 years of my life studying EU law and if Ireland is in breach of any Directives or Regulations then everyone will hear about it because our financial system could not take the fines that the EU would be handing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I wouldn't cut costs on tyres, buy the best you can afford.

Check out reviews etc, I have had bad experiences with Wanli tyres and Nankang, Wanlis were the worst, sliding all over the place in the wet, nankang not as bad but not much grip in wet either.

Since then I have fitted vredestein, pirelli and nokian, much much better.

Buy them online to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

T-Maxx you have seriously let yourself down with statements like that. It's embarassing for you and I for one will never even have a second glance at anything you post on here again. I don't think I've seen many more foolish and headstrong posts on boards in all my time here.

Have a look at any tyre comparisson online and then think about your statement again. Best of luck to you if you are going to use cheap tyres but I am 100% certain you are wrong in what you say.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Going through all your posts i knew you didn't have a clue what you were on about RE: European Union law and tyre specification/safety. I knew you wouldn't be able to show a link to the legislation on tyres because no such law exists and if it does then trust me Ireland would be complying with it. If they were not they would be paying MASSIVE fines daily for every day that they are in breach of EU law. I have spent the last 3-4 years of my life studying EU law and if Ireland is in breach of any Directives or Regulations then everyone will hear about it because our financial system could not take the fines that the EU would be handing out.

I'm trying to imagine how many times your study of European law brings you across tyre legislation..

So far as I understand the legislation regarding tyre standards are European directives, not law as such, meaning that it is up to the member state to come up with its own means of implementing the directives, failing to do so does not necessarily lead to legal implications from the EU.
    And the fact is that Ireland is beginning to implement the legislation. the 'e' mark has been around for years and yet Ireland has only been testing for this through the NCT for the last year or two, and I have already heard of several tyres being failed due to the tyre being over 5 years old according to the manufacture date on the sidewall so obviously this is being implemented too.

You need to call Bridgestone's soon to be northern European headquarters in Ireland and also goodyear/dunlop Ireland and tell them they are wasting their time and money implementing European tyre directives that don't exist.

The laws I have mentioned above have been around for some time and were drawn up by the German based TUV organisation which also provides the guidelines regarding European approval of tyres(amongst many other things)

There is further new legislation on the way regarding changes to tyre sidewall information and marking which the major manufacturers are already beginning to implement before they come in in 2012, in 2014, further to the current size and speed rating markings, tyres will also have to be marked with their economy rating(rolling resistance etc). This marking will be on all new EU approved tyres from 2014 and will be similar to the energy rating on appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I dont believe in brand snobbery myself but I recently replace my two front tyres with firestone, only a moderate difference in price to the budget tyres I had on, Nankings, I didnt notice much difference in the dry, but in the wet and on roundabouts they were noticeably bad, if anyone else drove the car I had to warn them. I have noticed a big difference on roundabouts (and I'm not pushing too hard) . I only got the nankings as I had a previous budget tyre (called westlake) that performed ok, I would never go for a top price tyre as i dont have that kind of car or do that kind of driving, at least for my needs I'm pretty sure a moderate priced version will do the job, but never a budget brand again.
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    I wouldn't cut costs on tyres, buy the best you can afford. Check out reviews etc, I have had bad experiences with Wanli tyres and Nankang, Wanlis were the worst, sliding all over the place in the wet, nankang not as bad but not much grip in wet either.

Since then I have fitted vredestein, pirelli and nokian, much much better.

Buy them online to save money

I got some nokians for another car and they seem ok, but never heard of them before, I tried to get a set again but couldn't locate a seller that had them in stock or could tell me when they could order them, if those nankangs are the same as what I had, they are an absolute pile of sh**e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think almost everyone that tries a better tyre after a budget ditch finder agrees with what the above poster says. Avoid the bargain basement chinese rubbish and go for a mid range and you will notice a big difference. The difference between budget and mid range is much bigger than mid range and high end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

First the confession... fishtits trundles to & from work, does the odd blast on a motorway etc. ie, I wouldn't be one to test a regular tyre to its limits on my daily drivers...

However, I have also nearly 20 years experience of stage rallying & rallycross etc. so I think I have an idea re tyres :p

Road going stuff I always had Bridgestone, changed to Continental a year or two ago and have to say they are very (very) impressive. And reasonable too, unlike Michelin...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyo and vredestein both quite good price wise, wouldn't go cheaper than falken or kumho, really cheap stuff like triangle make a car dangerous, you get cars like auris 1.4 spinning the wheels on roundabouts and focuss oversteering. If moneys tight then used premium tyres a much better option.
    Went down the remould route, bad choice.

Merch wrote: »

I got some nokians for another car and they seem ok, but never heard of them before, I tried to get a set again but couldn't locate a seller that had them in stock or could tell me when they could order them, if those nankangs are the same as what I had, they are an absolute pile of sh**e

I bought the nokian entyre online withe eiretyres, best tyres I 've had, really quiet, good ride. Agree, Nankangs wheelspin far to easily in wet but the wanlis were in a different league of shyte. No wet grip, a loud hum constantly but they lasted forever, couldn't wait to get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I bought the nokian entyre online withe eiretyres, best tyres I 've had, really quiet, good ride. Agree, Nankangs wheelspin far to easily in wet but the wanlis were in a different league of shyte. No wet grip, a loud hum constantly but they lasted forever, couldn't wait to get rid of them.
    Is it still cheaper to buy online after getting someone to fit and balance them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Yes but in an emergency the won't stop you before you hit B on a wet day like mine will :D

EDIT: Actually i think its time for a very technical diagram i drew for some one years ago to explain why i don't buy crap tyres...

tyresq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

"Sigh"

Lads, we all know that different tires perform differently. The point I'm trying to make is that for the vast majority of motorists, that extra bit of performance that a premium tire provides, is of theoretical/hypothetical value only. At least it should be, because by god if you rely on stopping within x meters instead of x+10 because of your "superior" tires, you sure as hell don't deserve to be on a public road.

BTW, braking distance and road holding are also influenced by things such as suspension, brakes, vehicle weight and weight distribution, etc. How many of you rubber junkies have upgraded the brakes and suspension? How many consider stopping distance when you buy a car? Hell, why don't you just get rid of the family saloon and buy a sports car for that matter? Because everything is a trade-off, and for me, I can live with that extra bit of stopping distance and less grip and whatever, in exchange for a few extra '000 miles and cheaper initial cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I forgot about the annoying tendency to wheel spin on take off in the wet (not applying excess acceleration)
    Shocks and tyres, no point in unnecessarily reducing the performance of any part of it intentionally for the sake of 15 euro per tyre.
    Up to the individual owner.

"Sigh"

Lads, we all know that different tires perform differently. The point I'm trying to make is that for the vast majority of motorists, that extra bit of performance that a premium tire provides, is of theoretical/hypothetical value only. At least it should be, because by god if you rely on stopping within x meters instead of x+10 because of your "superior" tires, you sure as hell don't deserve to be on a public road.

BTW, braking distance and road holding are also influenced by things such as suspension, brakes, vehicle weight and weight distribution, etc. How many of you rubber junkies have upgraded the brakes and suspension? How many consider stopping distance when you buy a car? Hell, why don't you just get rid of the family saloon and buy a sports car for that matter? Because everything is a trade-off, and for me, I can live with that extra bit of stopping distance and less grip and whatever, in exchange for a few extra '000 miles and cheaper initial cost.

Its not about stopping shorter in everyday driving, its about stopping shorter in the situations that, thankfully, don't happen every day. You don't rely on your health insurance to help you when you get a paper cut do you??

And with regards to uprating the brakes and suspension, perhaps a better understanding of how a car works might help you on that one....
    When you press the brakes, no matter how big they are, you transfer the friction of the brakes, through the hubs and wheels and finally through the tyres which grip the road and slow the car.

And when you are pressing the brakes, the weight of the car is transferred onto the front suspension(uprated or sports even as you suggest) which then presses down on the front tyres which grip the road and slow the car.

Put it more straight forward, if you drive a Bugatti veyron on ice and press the brakes what happens? Nothing, because the tyres have no grip!

There is ultimately nothing holding a car, any car from a Micra to an F1 car, on the road other then its Tyres!

• Advertisement

Is it still cheaper to buy online after getting someone to fit and balance them?

Not sure but I couldn't get anyone to supply them for me. They were 106 euro each inc fitting/balancing. I was being quoted 90 euros for Triangle (not the best)tyres, so yes probably cheaper than buying them here.

BTW my spare spacesaver is a nokian if that counts for anything

Advertisement