Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are fares going up on Dec 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    How would it be numbered/named they pulled a bit of a fast one with the 'docklands' zone.

Does what they call it even matter? You could call it Green "A" or Green "0".

But I suspect it will be an extra zone - just as Docklands was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Transfer rebate of €1 is a pretty regressive step if it is meant to phase out T90 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

lxflyer wrote: »
    n97 means taking 2 x over 13 stage journeys in one direction one after the other, and two back, one after the other.

Currently that would use two T90 journeys, costing €5.50.

Now, using LEAP that will cost €2.60 + €1.60 = €4.20 in each direction, which taken twice will mean that it is capped at €6.90.

As others point out that's where having the Dublin Bus rambler ticket loaded on the LEAP card comes in useful - it will work out at €5.90 for the 5 day ticket and €4.92 for the 30 day ticket, with the days being non-consecutive.

Have they seriously increased the price of the rambler by over 7%. Money hungry twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

OK - well what do you currently pay and what sort of ticket are you buying - I'll try and figure out what it is.

What I can say is that the appropriate LEAP fares are the Blue Zone fares:

Adult LEAP 24 hour ticket - €17.15
    Adult LEAP 7 day ticket - €57.60
    Student LEAP 24 hour ticket - €15.40
    Student LEAP 7 day ticket - €51.80

If you're buying a single/return or 10 Journey ticket I'll need to know what fare you're currently paying to figure it out.

Student CASH 24 hour ticket return - €13.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

A further kick in the stones to the working man. No respite as they continue to chip away at us. With IR last year we had increased costs for a poorer service. I stopped using them after that. Why cant the greedy buggers not leave it?

Maybe if there wasn't a fcuking housing crisis and laws didn't prevent us from building some affordable high rise apartments in Dublin City we wouldn't have this problem. Were left with no choice but to pay. Such a mismanaged country. Seriously though workers are getting crushed from all angles.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's now cheaper for me to drive to work, driving takes me 35mins-45mins vs the DART and Luas that takes 90-110mins and I have free parking anytime. Thanks NTA.

I'm not putting up with late and cramped trains for higher prices anymore.

hdowney wrote: »
    Student CASH 24 hour ticket return - €13.50

It's increased to €14.

Student 10 Journey ticket is €52.50.

You're travelling 39-42 stages if you want to check the fare next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was just saying to the missus the other day, public transport fares aren't nearly high enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Over 13 stages, Outer Suburban 1 and Outer Suburban 2 merged into one fare
    Over 13 Stages €3.30 Cash / €2.60 LEAP

This means a saving for me when back home visiting as the folks are (were) in Outer 2.

Does this also mean that those travelling into what was Outer 1 and Outer 2 can just tap on the right hand side validator and be charged the €2.60? This always wound me up and would speed up dwell times for those routes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

'Use the Leap Card to save dosh' they tell me.

Yay I say :)

No good to you if you commute on Expressway they tell me :(

Fuck off with your fare increases then I say :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

It's an absolute disgrace that fares are going up yet again. The price of a 30 day rambler has now risen from €110 to €147.50 in just 2 years. That's a 34% increase! All Leap, pre-paid and taxsaver fares should be frozen at their current levels for at least 2 or 3 years given the scale of the increases in the past few years. If the transport companies need more cash that badly they should start charging travel pass holders 50c a journey and stop going after those who already pay top-dollar for everything :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Lapin wrote: »
    'Use the Leap Card to save dosh' they tell me.

Yay I say :)

No good to you if you commute on Expressway they tell me :(

Fuck off with your fare increases then I say :mad:

Expressway services are not under the authority of the NTA, they are simply set by Bus Eireann since they are commercial services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

so the current cork-cobh return is €8.50 cash but will now be €9.20 when Leap comes in for IR in Cork - hardly attractive !

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

All of this on the day it's announced traffic levels back to boom levels....so much for attracting people to use more public transport!

Irish Halo wrote: »
    This means a saving for me when back home visiting as the folks are (were) in Outer 2.

Does this also mean that those travelling into what was Outer 1 and Outer 2 can just tap on the right hand side validator and be charged the €2.60? This always wound me up and would speed up dwell times for those routes.

Yes it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Good to see the Xpresso zones merged, so it's now more likely to be used by those living in Zone 2 who actually need it, rather than those taking it because it's the bus that comes first.

Surprised that they merged 4-7 stages with 8-13, I thought they would have merged 1-3 with 4-7, to increase the entry point.
    Also thought they would widen the gap between cash and leap fares further than they did.

The t90 withdrawal is of no surprise, they've been "out to get it" for years, and was only a matter of time.

Of course, as already mentioned, none of the increases would be required if they introduced a nominal charge for certain categories of FTP holders.

Doesn't seem to affect me too much on Dublin Bus as I regularly hit the €27.50 per week cap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Karsini wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to affect me too much on Dublin Bus as I regularly hit the €27.50 per week cap anyway.

The Caps being left untouched is point being overlooked by many.

These adjustments represent another of the "Little Steps" which appear to define the principles by which the NTA wishes to operate in relation to Integrated Ticketing.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

To be fair to the NTA many people(most?) will see a reduction in their leap fares when taking into account the luas fare decreases and the scaling back of that Dublin Bus 'stages' nonsense.

The increases on Iarnród Éireann are unforgivable especially given that there is presently no leap alternative in most cases. But I suppose if the Wuurkers weren't willing to put up with a temporary 1% pay cut and cuts to overtime and bonuses, then we have to cough up.

cgcsb wrote: »
    To be fair to the NTA many people(most?) will see a reduction in their leap fares when taking into account the luas fare decreases and the scaling back of that Dublin Bus 'stages' nonsense.

The increases on Iarnród Éireann are unforgivable especially given that there is presently no leap alternative in most cases. But I suppose if the Wuurkers weren't willing to put up with a temporary 1% pay cut and cuts to overtime and bonuses, then we have to cough up.

I can look forward to being robbed even more now. 1/3 of the time I end up being charged for 4-7 stages on my 3 stage journey. Now I can look forward to being charged for 13 stages and at the new rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I can look forward to being robbed even more now. 1/3 of the time I end up being charged for 4-7 stages on my 3 stage journey. Now I can look forward to being charged for 13 stages and at the new rate.

Just state the fare rather than the destination. I still see drivers moving up the fare stage after taking transactions.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Just state the fare rather than the destination. I still see drivers moving up the fare stage after taking transactions.

I'd second that - the fare stages are listed on each timetable online and it's worth checking the fare from that.

Just remember that if you board between stages, the fare starts from the previous stage point, and if you exit between stages, the fare finishes at the next stage point after that stop.

If I'm using pay-as-you-go I always check the fare first and quote it to the driver rather than the destination.

Stevek101 wrote: »

All well and good but, they sometimes just choose a higher fare or ask for the stop. I have paid cash fares when there was no money on the leap card and ticket printed the correct destination, cost €1.80.
    I think it is an issue with the machines on some routes. I queried a driver after he demanded the higher fare on one journey. I brought up the fare calculator using the buses wifi . Gave the drive a quick show of it, when getting off.

Also have been told that there was no product on my card a day after loading a 5 day rambler on the card and using a single day, the day before. This happened when I went to swipe at the side, and the machine was out, the driver asked me pay via his terminal. When I asked to use a day on my rambler he said, there was no product on the card. :confused:
    So I said I would take the next bus, where I scanned on the side correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

All well and good but, they sometimes just choose a higher fare or ask for the stop. I have paid cash fares when there was no money on the leap card and ticket printed the correct destination, cost €1.80.
    I think it is an issue with the machines on some routes. I queried a driver after he demanded the higher fare on one journey. I brought up the fare calculator using the buses wifi . Gave the drive a quick show of it, when getting off.

Also have been told that there was no product on my card a day after loading a 5 day rambler on the card and using a single day, the day before. This happened when I went to swipe at the side, and the machine was out, the driver asked me pay via his terminal. When I asked to use a day on my rambler he said, there was no product on the card. :confused:
    So I said I would take the next bus, where I scanned on the side correctly.

The driver has to manually increment the Stage, if they don't it's not an issue with the machine, it's with that specific driver. However in their defense, it's not always easy for them to identify the cross over point from one stage to another as I believe there's no markings for them any more. The issue should be directed towards Dublin Bus for the ambiguity, not the drivers.

devnull wrote: »
    Expressway services are not under the authority of the NTA, they are simply set by Bus Eireann since they are commercial services.

When the Leap Card was first introduced there were proposals to extend it's validity to all public transport nationwide (including Expressway) services.

As a passenger, I along with thousands of others see Bus Éiteann as a public transport division of CIE and don't care about the internal structure of the company.

When the Leap Card was first introduced there were proposals to extend it's validity to all public transport nationwide (including Expressway) services.

As a passenger, I along with thousands of others see Bus Éiteann as a public transport division of CIE and don't care about the internal structure of the company.

Well I'm afraid that you need to start viewing Expressway as a commercial unsubsidised service like Citylink or Gobus. Whatever you like to think, they are completely stand alone commercial services.

LEAP will probably roll out on Expressway stage in the future. But given the commercial nature of the service I wouldn't be expecting cheaper fares or zonal products to be valid.

But before that happens there's plenty of other work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Can't believe the price of the 30 day rambler is going up again. Is it possible to load more than 1 rambler on to a leap card?

Can't believe the price of the 30 day rambler is going up again. Is it possible to load more than 1 rambler on to a leap card?

You can load up to five of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

You can load up to five of them.

If you can afford it (!)

The driver has to manually increment the Stage, if they don't it's not an issue with the machine, it's with that specific driver. However in their defense, it's not always easy for them to identify the cross over point from one stage to another as I believe there's no markings for them any more. The issue should be directed towards Dublin Bus for the ambiguity, not the drivers.

He brought up his stop on his console, the stops were labelled differently in some cases than the dublin bus website.
    for what is worth I do agree with simplifying the number of fare increments. In Other countries you can select the number of zones yourself, 1, 2, 3, 4, hold your card to the reader and press the appropriate button. It even removes the need to swipe off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Well I'm afraid that you need to start viewing Expressway as a commercial unsubsidised service like Citylink or Gobus. Whatever you like to think, they are completely stand alone commercial services.

LEAP will probably roll out on Expressway stage in the future. But given the commercial nature of the service I wouldn't be expecting cheaper fares or zonal products to be valid.

But before that happens there's plenty of other work to do.

The Citylink drivers appear to disagree.

One was overheard discussing with a passenger that while
    Citylink get €2 per passenger using a travel pass on the multistop services, Bus Eireann get a flat €250 per bus per day which is approximately €5 per passenger.
    And that the Go Be is being run at a loss in competition with Aircoach on the Cork - Dublin route.

Any Bus Eireann people that can refute that?

ressem wrote: »
    The Citylink drivers appear to disagree.

One was overheard discussing with a passenger that while
    Citylink get €2 per passenger using a travel pass on the multistop services, Bus Eireann get a flat €250 per bus per day which is approximately €5 per passenger.
    And that the Go Be is being run at a loss in competition with Aircoach on the Cork - Dublin route.

Any Bus Eireann people that can refute that?

Well you heard wrong.

The CIE Group gets a fixed lump sum per annum for the DSP Free Travel Scheme which hasn't changed for quite some years.

It is not a per bus or per passenger amount.

At this stage the amount they get is nowhere near what it ought to be in terms of numbers carried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The driver has to manually increment the Stage

was there not plans to upgrade the system to have it increment automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

was there not plans to upgrade the system to have it increment automatically?

There were plans to link it in with the GPS but who knows what happened with that. Software was developed as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    god forbid the poor vulnerable pensioners or those ridiculous amount of people with free travel passes would be asked to stump up anything, this is how off the rails it is here, one section are absolutely sacrosanct and the other are totally disposable and asked to cough up again and again!
    in the case of the pensioners rightly so. they payed taxes all their lives and we'l benefit from it also when we get old.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Full bus drove past my stop YET AGAIN.

because in your own words, it was full
    When are fare increases actually going to be used to provide the service I want to pay for?!

what type of service do you want to pay for

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Lifelike wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace that fares are going up yet again. The price of a 30 day rambler has now risen from €110 to €147.50 in just 2 years. That's a 34% increase! All Leap, pre-paid and taxsaver fares should be frozen at their current levels for at least 2 or 3 years given the scale of the increases in the past few years. If the transport companies need more cash that badly they should start charging travel pass holders 50c a journey and stop going after those who already pay top-dollar for everything :mad:
    that would probably be unmanagable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

in the case of the pensioners rightly so. they payed taxes all their lives and we'l benefit from it also when we get old.

True, but It's the scumbags who ain't out looking for work etc that should'nt have them. Priority should be the elderly, blind etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

what type of service do you want to pay for

How about one that stops for him for a start? :)

- That shows up when it's supposed to 99% of the time
    - That isn't infested with the antisocial element plaguing some routes
    - That are clean and comfortable and you're not jammed in like sardines
    - That doesn't cost almost as much as the same trip by car or take twice as long
    - That doesn't take unnecessary detours into "An Lar" or every random housing estate it passes
    - That doesn't sit parked up for 15-20 mins because DB can't manage its driver changes properly
    - That has an easy-to-use, reliable efficient fully integrated ticket system
    - That stops pissing away money on new buses that are arguably worse than the ones they replace and which have plenty of life left in them given how they go on to another few years of private operator service

Hell, I'd even consider a service like that :)

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    True, but It's the scumbags who ain't out looking for work etc that should'nt have them. Priority should be the elderly, blind etc.

absolutely, couldn't agree more

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    How about one that stops for him for a start? and you're not jammed in like sardines

he said the bus was full. so if its full and he was let on that would mean he would be jammed in like sardines.
    That shows up when it's supposed to 99% of the time

build more bus lanes and have more bus priority.
    That isn't infested with the antisocial element plaguing some routes

thats not going to stop. many cities have that problem. they have to travel some way and are whether we like it or not, i don't but its what i know to expect.
    That are clean and comfortable and you're not jammed in like sardines

i find them comfortable to be honest. bigger busses or people moving down the bus and up stairs via an anouncement from the driver would help a lot.
    That doesn't cost almost as much as the same trip by car or take twice as long

call for a higher subsidy. some routes have to take twice as long as they have to go in to areas along the route to make sure the people have some access to the bus network.
    That doesn't take unnecessary detours into "An Lar" or every random housing estate it passes

no bus takes unnecessary detours. they have a route they follow to ensure as much access to public transport as possible. rightly so as everyone is entitled to where possible have some access to public transport.
    That doesn't sit parked up for 15-20 mins because DB can't manage its driver changes properly

who says the driver didn't get delayed? but maybe a driver change at the terminus should be looked at instead where possible.
    That has an easy-to-use, reliable efficient fully integrated ticket system

that is coming, all though the passengers should write and email pestering the relevant people until such ticketing system is delivered.
    That stops pissing away money on new buses that are arguably worse than the ones they replace and which themselves have plenty of life left in them given how they go on to another few years of private operator service

i'd say the days of that nonsense have come to an end now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

build more bus lanes and have more bus priority.

How do you explain two buses in a row not showing up when the stop I was at was only their 5th stop (a mere 2km journey on an extremely quiet road).

People claim traffic is the reason for buses not being timely or turning up at the prescribed time when it is in fact down to the inefficiency of Dublin Bus and laziness of the drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Monife wrote: »
    How do you explain two buses in a row not showing up when the stop I was at was only their 5th stop (a mere 2km journey on an extremely quiet road).

People claim traffic is the reason for buses not being timely or turning up at the prescribed time when it is in fact down to the inefficiency of Dublin Bus and laziness of the drivers.

There's 2 legs to the service, outbound and inbound. Excessive traffic on one leg will cause delays for the other. This was more visible during all those demonstrations and protests around the dáil and on O'Connell bridge during peak commuting times.

I'm unsure if the laziness of drivers is still as prevelant as it used to be, where they'd loiter amongst themselves one service after the other making their way to the terminus. My da (a driver himself) was surprised by how much he saw it 14/15 years ago. I'd expect there may be some sort of monitoring in place now that they should all have GPS as well. Which should clamp down on that, so if you see a bus that should be in service not doing anything, chances are higher the driver has been told to wait up and pull off for the next time slot.

Its ridiculous that cash fares are still been taken on board buses in this day and age.

Its ridiculous that cash fares are still been taken on board buses in this day and age.

Since London only abolished them a few months ago, we probably will in 20 years from now. :pac:

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Since London only abolished them a few months ago, we probably will in 20 years from now. :pac:

That soon !

The London Underground opened 151 years ago and we're still trying to join two tram lines together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I don't know the first thing about you, but I'll just assume you're lazy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I don't think it is rediculous that cash fares still exist. Genuine question what do people do on the London buses then if they don't have Oyster cards or the like? Such as tourists/infrequent visitors to the captial from 'the country'?

I for one would only use Dublin bus on the very odd occasion so would pay cash for the journey. I know to have exact change or near enough as they don't do change, but that's about it.

its to do with traffic. they are probably one or to lazy drivers, every company has someone not pulling their weight, the bigger the company the harder it is to find them

hdowney wrote: »
    Genuine question what do people do on the London buses then if they don't have Oyster cards or the like? Such as tourists/infrequent visitors to the captial from 'the country'?

Buy an Oyster when they arrive in London. They're available everywhere. Hundreds of newsagents, off licenses, shops as well as tube and rail stations.

Just top us what they need to as they go along and cash the card in to get their deposit back before they leave town if they want.

While its good that you have the correct change, many people don't, thus slowing everyone down not to mention leaving the driver vulnerable to robberies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement