Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are fares going up on Dec 1?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    The 'simplification of fares' mentioned in RTÉ news is just a merging of Dublin Bus fares.

Still no sign of a simple zone based multi operator system with no punishment for changing bus/mode.

I note the NTA refer vaguely to some future 'transfer rebate' which will allow customers a discount when taking a 'second journey' within 90 minutes of the first. Of course they aren't two seperate 'journeys' they are merely 2 legs of the same journey, and customers will continue to be chastised for changing, in 2015.

Also some of the luas fares have been reduced to odd figures, 1.45 is now 1.39 etc. Not a problem really just a bit odd.

I'd have to agree about some of the LEAP fares - they should have been rounded up/down to the nearest 5c. I know that they are applying a straight 20% discount both for Bus Eireann and LUAS over the cash fare but it results in really annoying fares.

As for the overall fare structure, I think we are a long way from having a global zonal system. The NTA are making changes to the fare structure very gradually to try to minimise the impact on farebox revenues.

Aard wrote: »
    The reduction in children's fare on the bus is surprising. Especially so given that under-19s can now avail of the fare, and that schoolchild fares will operate until 19:00 instead of 17:00. That shows a huge drive to get young people using the bus. Great idea, imo, as it gives greater mobility to young people.

Elsewhere, I'm disappointed that the Luas zones are still separated. So Red2->Green2 is considered three zones. Were the zones concentric, it'd only be a two-zone trip. I think this latter arrangement would boost ridership of the Docklands extension. I hope this is looked at in advance of BXD being commissioned.

The discount on second bus journeys is to be welcomed. Does this apply only to bus/bus trips, or can it be used for Luas/bus as well?

The reduction in Dublin Bus child LEAP fares is to keep the discount for using LEAP at 20% or more. Thankfully Dublin Bus have kept all fares at multiples of 5c.

The second trip discount is initially on Dublin Bus only. It will extend to all modes early in 2015.

I doubt LUAS zones will change. You'll see a new Green Zone 0 I think to the north of Broadstone. But I think Red 2 to Green 2 will stay three zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'd have to agree about some of the LEAP fares - they should have been rounded up/down to the nearest 5c. I know that they are applying a straight 20% discount both for Bus Eireann and LUAS over the cash fare but it results in really annoying fares.
    Considering that Leap cards will rarely hit absolute zero and are continuously being topped up, the non-rounded fares don't pose such a huge practical problem - they're just not aesthetically pleasing!

Considering that Leap cards will rarely hit absolute zero and are continuously being topped up, the non-rounded fares don't pose such a huge practical problem - they're just not aesthetically pleasing!

Agreed - but it does look daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I actually can't work out my fare increase. They just talk about zones etc but honestly I have no fog whatsoever as to the 'zones' I travel from Wicklow Town to UCD on Bus Eireann

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    I actually can't work out my fare increase. They just talk about zones etc but honestly I have no fog whatsoever as to the 'zones' I travel from Wicklow Town to UCD on Bus Eireann

OK - well what do you currently pay and what sort of ticket are you buying - I'll try and figure out what it is.

What I can say is that the appropriate LEAP fares are the Blue Zone fares:

Adult LEAP 24 hour ticket - €17.15
    Adult LEAP 7 day ticket - €57.60
    Student LEAP 24 hour ticket - €15.40
    Student LEAP 7 day ticket - €51.80

If you're buying a single/return or 10 Journey ticket I'll need to know what fare you're currently paying to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Polar101

The Rambler/Monthly tickets seem to be insanely expensive after the very high increases, I wonder if any other place in the world has prices like that for local bus services.

On the other hand, for a bus commuter like me the new prices don't seem bad, since the daily/weekly caps do not increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Looking like I'm better off using my car after this increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

coylemj wrote: »
    As outlined above The Authority is introducing a second journey discount on Leap card fares on 2nd November on Dublin Bus services. This will allow the customer to get the discounts (€1.00 adult, €1.00 student, €0.70 child) on a second journey that has been commenced within 90 minutes of the start of the first journey. It is planned to introduce this feature across all operators in 2015. Currently the Travel 90 tickets offer a similar type feature where a passenger may use the ticket for 90 minutes to allow them take a second bus journey. With the introduction of the second journey discount this will give a discount of up to €1.00 on the second journey and therefore the travel 90 10 journey tickets will be withdrawn in the first quarter of 2015.

I find this very disingenuous, trying to imply that a travel 90 only covers two journeys.

The new system is a welcome option - particularly if you're not sure your second journey will be withing the time limit.
    However, a one euro discount on one extra journey is not a replacement for 90 mins of unlimited usage.

Even two relatively short 4-7 stage journeys would be dearer with this system (3.10 v 2.95)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My fare increases for my daily commute:

Bus €-0.10
    DART €0.06
    Bike €0.00

So not too bad for me. The taxsaver has become even more unattractive to me with the increases and the slight easing in the tax rates and bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bikeman1 wrote: »
    <snip>

So not too bad for me. The taxsaver has become even more unattractive to me with the increases and the slight easing in the tax rates and bands.
    well.......
    the taxsaver is a bit of a joke in that it benefits higher earners more than low earners.

(that said, low earners benefit from the highest tax threshold/ taxfree allowance in the western world so they arent doing all that badly anyhow. The UK is the best in the G7 top industrial nations, and ireland is almost double as generous as them)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

god forbid the poor vulnerable pensioners or those ridiculous amount of people with free travel passes would be asked to stump up anything, this is how off the rails it is here, one section are absolutely sacrosanct and the other are totally disposable and asked to cough up again and again!

well.......
    the taxsaver is a bit of a joke in that it benefits higher earners more than low earners.

(that said, low earners benefit from the highest tax threshold/ taxfree allowance in the western world so they arent doing all that badly anyhow. The UK is the best in the G7 top industrial nations, and ireland is almost double as generous as them)

Given that most low earners would be more likely to be using public transport as it is, I think it's probably right that a greater effort is made to incentivise higher earners onto public transport and out of their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The reduction in children's fare on the bus is surprising. Especially so given that under-19s can now avail of the fare, and that schoolchild fares will operate until 19:00 instead of 17:00. That shows a huge drive to get young people using the bus. Great idea, imo, as it gives greater mobility to young people.

Elsewhere, I'm disappointed that the Luas zones are still separated. So Red2->Green2 is considered three zones. Were the zones concentric, it'd only be a two-zone trip. I think this latter arrangement would boost ridership of the Docklands extension. I hope this is looked at in advance of BXD being commissioned.

The discount on second bus journeys is to be welcomed. Does this apply only to bus/bus trips, or can it be used for Luas/bus as well?

The BXD extension will make things interesting alright. How will they avoid having concentric zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

wench wrote: »
    I find this very disingenuous, trying to imply that a travel 90 only covers two journeys.

It's a factual error by someone in the NTA (the original post of mine that you quoted had that text in italics) who obviously is not aware that one validation of a T90 ticket doesn't limit you to two bus journeys - calling it 'disingenuous' is a bit harsh if not downright pompous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Full bus drove past my stop YET AGAIN. When are fare increases actually going to be used to provide the service I want to pay for?!

The BXD extension will make things interesting alright. How will they avoid having concentric zones?

Easily - extend the central zone to cover the red
    Zone as far as Broadstone and then have an additional Green zone north covering Broadstone to Broombridge.

It's a factual error by someone in the NTA (the original post of mine that you quoted had that text in italics) who obviously is not aware that one validation of a T90 ticket doesn't limit you to two bus journeys - calling it 'disingenuous' is a bit harsh if not downright pompous.

Oh I think they know exactly what the ticket allows people to do - they're choosing to eliminate that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

I realise it was the NTA's text not yours, apologies if that was unclear.
    Maybe the NTA should find out what the tickets do, before replacing them with inferior products.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Easily - extend the central zone to cover the red
    Zone as far as Broadstone and then have an additional Green zone north covering Broadstone to Broombridge.

How would it be numbered/named they pulled a bit of a fast one with the 'docklands' zone.

• Advertisement

How would it be numbered/named they pulled a bit of a fast one with the 'docklands' zone.

Does what they call it even matter? You could call it Green "A" or Green "0".

But I suspect it will be an extra zone - just as Docklands was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Transfer rebate of €1 is a pretty regressive step if it is meant to phase out T90 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

n97 means taking 2 x over 13 stage journeys in one direction one after the other, and two back, one after the other.

Currently that would use two T90 journeys, costing €5.50.

Now, using LEAP that will cost €2.60 + €1.60 = €4.20 in each direction, which taken twice will mean that it is capped at €6.90.

As others point out that's where having the Dublin Bus rambler ticket loaded on the LEAP card comes in useful - it will work out at €5.90 for the 5 day ticket and €4.92 for the 30 day ticket, with the days being non-consecutive.

Have they seriously increased the price of the rambler by over 7%. Money hungry twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

OK - well what do you currently pay and what sort of ticket are you buying - I'll try and figure out what it is.

What I can say is that the appropriate LEAP fares are the Blue Zone fares:

Adult LEAP 24 hour ticket - €17.15
    Adult LEAP 7 day ticket - €57.60
    Student LEAP 24 hour ticket - €15.40
    Student LEAP 7 day ticket - €51.80

If you're buying a single/return or 10 Journey ticket I'll need to know what fare you're currently paying to figure it out.

Student CASH 24 hour ticket return - €13.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

A further kick in the stones to the working man. No respite as they continue to chip away at us. With IR last year we had increased costs for a poorer service. I stopped using them after that. Why cant the greedy buggers not leave it?

Maybe if there wasn't a fcuking housing crisis and laws didn't prevent us from building some affordable high rise apartments in Dublin City we wouldn't have this problem. Were left with no choice but to pay. Such a mismanaged country. Seriously though workers are getting crushed from all angles.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's now cheaper for me to drive to work, driving takes me 35mins-45mins vs the DART and Luas that takes 90-110mins and I have free parking anytime. Thanks NTA.

I'm not putting up with late and cramped trains for higher prices anymore.

hdowney wrote: »
    Student CASH 24 hour ticket return - €13.50

It's increased to €14.

Student 10 Journey ticket is €52.50.

You're travelling 39-42 stages if you want to check the fare next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was just saying to the missus the other day, public transport fares aren't nearly high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Over 13 stages, Outer Suburban 1 and Outer Suburban 2 merged into one fare
    Over 13 Stages €3.30 Cash / €2.60 LEAP

This means a saving for me when back home visiting as the folks are (were) in Outer 2.

Does this also mean that those travelling into what was Outer 1 and Outer 2 can just tap on the right hand side validator and be charged the €2.60? This always wound me up and would speed up dwell times for those routes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

'Use the Leap Card to save dosh' they tell me.

Yay I say :)

No good to you if you commute on Expressway they tell me :(

Fuck off with your fare increases then I say :mad:

Advertisement