Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

He was killed by the Hound trodding over him with his horse. The Hound says that he tried to run, but didn't get far.

It could have been an accident though as he sped after the boy on horseback and the boy tripped or changed direction or something and the horse's hoof came on his head.

Also, running away when you are demanded by the King is an extremely serious offence, particularly when it involved a fight where the prince was badly wounded. You could say it's a bit like how police sometimes have the ability to say "freeze, or I'll fire" and can shoot people if they try to get away.

Oh I stand corrected so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

donfers wrote: »
    did the butcher boy die?

we saw him briefly being carried back on horseback by one of lannister's goons (loads of characters in this show, i can't keep up with all the different wards, knights, stewards, masters of arms etc etc)

it would be a bit harsh for them to have killed the kid, is there no legal system there or can they act with impunity and just murder a kid without trial, that is if he died of course
    T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I assumed they just gave him a beating (even that was unneeded!) but I suppose it didn't really make it clear either way. But they probably would have just left him where ever they killed him if that was the case. And I doubt anyone questions the Kings actions or that of his goons.
    He was killed by the Hound trodding over him with his horse. The Hound says that he tried to run, but didn't get far.

It could have been an accident though as he sped after the boy on horseback and the boy tripped or changed direction or something and the horse's hoof came on his head.

Also, running away when you are demanded by the King is an extremely serious offence, particularly when it involved a fight where the prince was badly wounded. You could say it's a bit like how police sometimes have the ability to say "freeze, or I'll fire" and can shoot people if they try to get away.

Have read the OP to make sure its ok to say this, and my understanding is that it is. Spoiler is just clarifying what happened to the butcher boy.
    In the book, as far as I remember, the guy walks in and throws the butcher boys head on the ground. They may have thought this was a bit too grizzly for the tv show, so just showed him all bloody and lifeless on the horse. But he was definitely dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I may be mistaken but I've always been under impression that to 'run someone down' from armed horseback refers to a strong cleaving sword swing delivered that uses the horses momentum to deliver a stronger blow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

He didn't throw the butcher boy's head on the ground in the book. It does say though he had been almost cut in half from some terrible blow that came from above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I thought the butcher's boy was alive but injured, I thought run him down was he was hit by the horse.
    Run him through would mean skewer him on a sword and they didn't say that

But reading here seems he did die

And I'm another, wasn't bothered at all by the butcher boy being caught but poor, poor Lady :(
    Looking back at it I was more upset about the dog then the lad

Fookin little prince, I hope he gets his comeuppance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Having read the books I am really enjoying the TV show so far as well as the reactions of the posters who are new to the story:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

To keep the peace i will refrain from posting reviews until after the Sky Atlantic broadcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ok lads, a bit of effin' respect please, the poor kid was almost cleaved in half for doing absolutely nothing and post after post is coldly and disrespectfully respecting to the poor lad as the butcher's boy

his name is mycah for god's sake, a bit of respect for the dead or youz all will be infracted off the board faster than you can add spoiler tags

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've read the books so knew what to expect, but god, Lady's death was heartbreaking. I really don't know what it is that has us doubled over for the death of animals and not bat an eyelid for humans. Poor ole Lady!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

quickbeam wrote: »
    I've read the books so knew what to expect, but god, Lady's death was heartbreaking. I really don't know what it is that has us doubled over for the death of animals and not bat an eyelid for humans. Poor ole Lady!

Because humans are capable of being much more malicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

But the death of lady was brilliantly timed with the last camera shot. . . I love this show. . . The queen is some yoke. . I hope the little girl who's handy with the bow'n'arrow gets to give her a slappin'

And I'm another, wasn't bothered at all by the butcher boy being caught but poor, poor Lady :(
    Looking back at it I was more upset about the dog then the lad.

This is because the butcher boy was but a low-born, while Sansa is high-born and Lady belonged to Sansa. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

This is a very good programme. Dont remember a tv programme provoking as strong a reaction in me as the outrage I felt when he killed the dire wolf.

It is because the dire wolves protected likeable young children twice in a row that it evokes such a strong reaction, and because of all the betrayal and unfairness behind the incident. It's not subtle or anything, but it certainly works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

You're all obviously stone cold callous bastards ..... I was annoyed they killed the buthcher boy.... I has feelins!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i cant honestly remember the last show that hooked me in this fast,

like eveyone else love them direwolfs, i hope we get to see them fully grown up at some point, i like how they fit in with the stark family crest, and the fact that they have been raised well and protect there master really reflects the honour both master and animal hold,

oh how i hate them lanisters, love the dwarf fella though hes one funny fella, going all the way to the wall so he can piss of the edge of the world:D, i can see him splitting from the family at some point, on some matter of principal, i wonder does he know his brother is pounding his sister, he obviously knows hes nephew is a little bastard and is trying his best to make some sort of a king out of him,

i dont think the king is to fond of his family and wonder did he marry his wife as some means of gaining or holding the throne, he seems to be most happy when hes just sitting around with stark chatting about the old days, i wonder why hes even holding onto the throne, he doesnt come across as a king, i hope it gets explained more how he became king in the first place,

the girl who married ronan seems like shes starting to grow a spine, learning how to make him happy, i wonder if as soon as she learns to stand up for herself will she have her brother killed, he really is a little ****, telling his sister that he would have all 40,000 of ronans men take her to bed if it meant getting him on the throne,

some nice storys being weaved so far, and hopefully we get to see some of them white walkers from over the wall at some point,

like what was said earlier i really wanna read the books now, i need a fix already,

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

emrys wrote: »
    Having read the books I am really enjoying the TV show so far as well as the reactions of the posters who are new to the story:)

Me too - I'm loving the newbies reactions to it all almost as much as the show itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Serious show. The 50 mins just fly by at the bat of an eyelid.

Tim Van Patten is a genius it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

don ramo wrote: »
    the girl who married ronan seems like shes starting to grow a spine, learning how to make him happy, i wonder if as soon as she learns to stand up for herself will she have her brother killed, he really is a little ****, telling his sister that he would have all 40,000 of ronans men take her to bed if it meant getting him on the throne,

And their horses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Tusky wrote: »
    Have read the OP to make sure its ok to say this, and my understanding is that it is. Spoiler is just clarifying what happened to the butcher boy.
    In the book, as far as I remember, the guy walks in and throws the butcher boys head on the ground. They may have thought this was a bit too grizzly for the tv show, so just showed him all bloody and lifeless on the horse. But he was definitely dead

almost right, correction on what happened in the book
    The Hound comes back to the tavern with something draped over the back of his horse but in a sack so Ned can see what it is. Given the size of it he thinks its Nymeria and is thinking poor Arya, she'll be devestated that they killed her direwolf and the Hound says he killed the Beast. He throwns it on the ground but on pulling back the cloak they find its the butcher boy and he's almost cut in half.
    Still pretty gruesome stuff they couldnt really put on tv

Wonder how they are going to tie Brans
    waking and dreams back to the book...maybe he'll just talk about them, easier than doing a dreamscape sequence.

All in all tis great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Scruff wrote: »
    waking and dreams back to the book...maybe he'll just talk about them, easier than doing a dreamscape sequence.

I can see them doing a
    waxed screen pov dreasmscape. It woudl make more sense to get the audience 'inside' his minds eye
    ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Should this be a spoiler or have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

almost right, correction on what happened in the book
    The Hound comes back to the tavern with something draped over the back of his horse but in a sack so Ned can see what it is. Given the size of it he thinks its Nymeria and is thinking poor Arya, she'll be devestated that they killed her direwolf and the Hound says he killed the Beast. He throwns it on the ground but on pulling back the cloak they find its the butcher boy and he's almost cut in half.
    Still pretty gruesome stuff they couldnt really put on tv

Wonder how they are going to tie Brans waking and dreams back to the book...maybe he'll just talk about them, easier than doing a dreamscape sequence.

:eek: ahhh what a lovely story... I'm getting the books now!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't wait to see reactions to what happens as it goes on around some of the major happenings in the story. It's kinda like reading 50 pages, discussing it, and then waiting another week to read the next 50 pages, as opposed to just reading through with no one to discuss it with.

Can someone link to the GOT books discussion thread? [i'm too lazy] - cheers.

Me too - I'm loving the newbies reactions to it all almost as much as the show itself!

Ah now let's not exaggerate, how could that be?.... :rolleyes: I'm really glad that other people like this series but I don't care that much how they react, and it annoys me when they say things that I totally disagree with. The only way it would make sense is if you didn't like the tv series much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK please read this very carefully.

Game of Thrones is not a standard TV show. It is based on (and following quite closely) a well known book that a lot of people have read.

Posts along the lines of guess who dies next or Spoiler: someone dies in an upcoming episode are just going to piss people off. Sticking them in spoiler tags doesn't help.

So the standard charter rule of future stuff in spoiler tags no longer applies here. Don't post any future stuff at all in this thread. You'll just annoy people. Use the book thread on the sci-fi forum if you want to talk about what's coming up (because people there know what's coming up, and most people here don't want to know)

FINAL WARNING.

^ so are we not allowed to speculate then?...about future/possible events?...like i could speculate that at some point in the future XXXX could possibly die, i'm not basing this speculation on anything nor books/spoilers etc.

I mean within the realm of what we've seen thus far, the tone and feel of the show you could speculate this could be a possibilty, is that allowed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course you can guess, you just can't spoil things if you know them for fact.

^ so are we not allowed to speculate then?...about future/possible events?...like i could speculate that at some point in the future XXXX could possibly die, i'm not basing this speculation on anything nor books/spoilers etc.

I mean within the realm of what we've seen thus far, the tone and feel of the show you could speculate this could be a possibilty, is that allowed?

Are you joking? If people have extra knowledge of the show or the books then they are OBVIOUSLY going to speculate much more accurately/differently because they know things and can speculate the right things much better.

Trying to come into a place like this and avoid spoilers from the books is like trying to walk through a minefield, and it's not fair to be jerking around about spoilers like that. People have to take a very guarded glance at parts of some of the posts and quit immediately if they think there's a danger that something is going to be spoiled. I myself have had it spoiled about something that's going to occur in the next episode that I would not have expected.

• Advertisement

Serious show. The 50 mins just fly by at the bat of an eyelid.

Tim Van Patten is a genius it must be said.
    Totally agree, I'm always in disbelief when I realise the end is approaching, the time flies by! Sign of good story telling naturally :)

Advertisement