Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan at night - feral thugs on the loose (Mod note: Post #33)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

chrysagon wrote: »
    u have to dig deeper

but on a serious note. last weekend there was a small group of foreigners having a right bust up just off market sq Saturday night,, seemly kicked out of local night club, and no sign of the law..

There's always fights at chucking out time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mod: Everybody, please keep within the rules on this thread. There have been instances on here where posters have been hinting at names of possible culprits, this will not be tolerated and any more of it will result in infractions or bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Dont know the situation but if you stand your ground stand tall and look him in the eye you might be better off than flagging down the first car you see..

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

markc2951 wrote: »
    Dont know the situation but if you stand your ground stand tall and look him in the eye you might be better off than flagging down the first car you see..

That advice is likely to get you beaten in this situations, you're not dealing with a dog although you'd treat a dog with more respect than these people...
    This isn't 1 chap, they aren't nice people and they're not afraid of a bit of violence.

In a different situation standing tall can work, the average person is afraid of violence and unless fairly drunk will back down if really challenged.
    I'm 6'8" so I tend not to be approached by many such people at night even when walking on my own. I've seen these lads when I do be out but never had any problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

markc2951 wrote: »

They would love that. Give them an opportunity to glass or stab you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are there really that many stabbings in town? Have rarely heard of such. Didn't happen when I told them go **** his ******.

These "people" rely on your fear and intimidation to get by, don't give them an easy pass, not advising having a go but don't cower either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Just an update on the activities of members of this certain family.

My Father was squared up to and threatened while leaving the bank in town earlier. Now fortunately my Father is well able to stand up for himself and the individual was not long in doing a runner, but it is sad that this sort of thing is happening in broad daylight in our town. The individual was high as fcuk on something and no doubt moved onto someone else to try and get a source for his fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

When you say "squared up to and threatened", what do you mean? Was it an attempted mugging or just aggressive begging? There is a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

chewed wrote: »
    There is a huge difference!

Not really, blocking somebody's means of escape and aggressively begging is akin to mugging to those easily intimidated.

When you say "squared up to and threatened", what do you mean? Was it an attempted mugging or just aggressive begging? There is a huge difference!

I took that he meant he was squared up to and threatened, it's pretty clear.

• Advertisement

Well he seen him come out of the bank with a bag in his hand and he not so politely asked him to hand over the cash. Not sure where the huge difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I can't remember the last time I saw guards walking the beat in Navan, the main street and square are plagued with junkies and beggars and not a guard in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

marketty wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw guards walking the beat in Navan, the main street and square are plagued with junkies and beggars and not a guard in sight

In fairness, they do walk the beat. There's just not many of them.

And a plague of junkies and beggars is overstating the problem a tad.

The town has always had its share of drunk losers going from pub to bookies only breaking the loop for the occasional fight.

I guess it's a sign of the times that we have added junkies and beggars to the mix. Not sure there is much anyone can legally do about it. People would have to make them feel unwelcome with a lot more than just dirty looks.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Well he seen him come out of the bank with a bag in his hand and he not so politely asked him to hand over the cash. Not sure where the huge difference is.

Difference is very clear, a mugging involves physical activity and/or verbal threats - demanding with menace.
    marketty wrote: »

Saw two out and about last Saturday evening, tbh they often out it's just that there aren't enough.

Think the dramatics are in full effect there, was in town this evening and not a sinner to be seen around the square - junkie or otherwise, Saturday evening was in Apache and none about then either.

bladespin wrote: »
    Difference is very clear, a mugging involves physical activity and/or verbal threats - demanding with menace.
    Which is what happened.

What did the gardai say when he reported it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I was just reading the local paper, the amount of break ins to houses etc is unreal, and how brazen these cowards are, yet I never read of any detections, or anyone prosecuted for these robberies, I just wonder what the actual detection rates are in Navan and its hinterland, and I mean the real figures, not the usual massaged ones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I was just reading the local paper, the amount of break ins to houses etc is unreal, and how brazen these cowards are, yet I never read of any detections, or anyone prosecuted for these robberies, I just wonder what the actual detection rates are in Navan and its hinterland, and I mean the real figures, not the usual massaged ones!

there is no downside to being a thief in Ireland, there are no consequences.

as a result its open season on decent citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

lukesmom wrote: »
    In all fairness the certain people the op is speaking about are animals. They would think nothing about breaking into your house and ****ting in your kitchen presses. (They have!). They need to be put into the back of a van and brought up the Wicklow mountains and left there.

Ah here we have enough of our own ..! without taking yours..! ;)

Meath crime prevention FB page is good for news on things like this, fairly serious arrest in Slane recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Do you ever attend the district court? There's generally a few up for burglary or theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Three businesses on the main street (trimgate street) broken into via the front within a month ....a street that is apparently monitored by cctv....Town has gone to the dogs

shock horror...are u really surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I drive a taxi in the town and see a lot of the crap that goes on, in fareness to the gardai they do be about on a friday and sat night, either walking the beat or driving around or parked behind the bull.
    I have also being asked for the euro from the people hanging around the square and i politely say no to them and they let me on my way (although if my physical appearance was different it might be a different story.)

Its not confined just to Navan, its nationwide, I talked to a work colleague, who lives in the midlands, and he told me his town is riddled with drug use and anti social behaviour, and again he says the Gardaí are struggling to cope, with offenders who appear in court, mostly getting bail.

Navan watch has a page on Facethingy, think it's a good idea if it gets up and running.

bladespin wrote: »
    Navan watch has a page on Facethingy, think it's a good idea if it gets up and running.

Saw that too hopefully it is effective. Passed the square the past few days and not a sinner in sight.

Advertisement