Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.I.E. Christmas Cracker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bk wrote: »
    A little early on the Sunday after the craziness of Saturday night!! Remember it was 12 pubs of Christmas night!! Town was very busy by 1.

While not a weekday service, I think Sundays should have a Saturday schedule as standard all year round in this day and age.

So you're point is that DB should have been running a weekday service on a Sunday to facilitate festive shoppers but not to expect custom until 5-6 hours after first buses left as some people were hungover :rolleyes:

If the demand was there then there would be additional commuter buses, trains and Luas laid on at the weekend. Oddly enough, a lesser schedule at these times is a worldwide phenomenon; can't blame CIE or the unions on that, can you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Christmas cracker joke :- What do you call a train full of toffee?
    A chew chew train !!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jahalpin wrote: »

I use Irish Rail occasionly and have always found the services to be quite good and the timetables to have been set to match the demand on the routes

Their coverage for bank holidays don't on commuter routes. If I was to go to work today, I wouldn't have been in until 2 hours after my shift was meant to start. And that's with the first train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just watched TV and seen that the Luas is gone from 8pm tonight till 9am on St Stephen's day. Why is nobody caning them for doing this? Or are they immune from criticism because they are not part of CIE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I was working Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening, all day Sunday (part of our rostered hours so that the company doesn't have to pay overtime to someone else to cover part of the day) and i was on this morning as well.

It was all pretty much over and done with on Friday evening. Saturday was one of the quietest i've ever seen and Sunday was completely dead. The entire days takings were less than a single shift (3 hour period) usually would be on a Sunday. Today i watched as 4 of the trains left the station without a single passenger boarding. 4 others had roughly 10 people a piece getting on to them. There was a full service running on the line i'm on.

Honestly, the only people traveling since Friday are the same Golden Ticket holders who travel 363 days a year regardless.

• Advertisement

I was working Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening, all day Sunday (part of our rostered hours so that the company doesn't have to pay overtime to someone else to cover part of the day) and i was on this morning as well.

It was all pretty much over and done with on Friday evening. Saturday was one of the quietest i've ever seen and Sunday was completely dead. The entire days takings were less than a single shift (3 hour period) usually would be on a Sunday. Today i watched as 4 of the trains left the station without a single passenger boarding. 4 others had roughly 10 people a piece getting on to them. There was a full service running on the line i'm on.

Honestly, the only people traveling since Friday are the same Golden Ticket holders who travel 363 days a year regardless.

Well believed here. I was in Connolly twice and Busasas once today and there wasn't even a sign of tumbleweed, let alone passengers. Even the 11:00 Enterprise and 11:05 Sligo failed to muster many bums on seats.

But of course, privatising it all is bound to put bums on seats. Even when nobody wants to travel on buses and trains, all services will be full to the rafters with 100 extra trains waiting for the excess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Was in Tara St at 13:15 today. A commuter service left northbound for M3 parkway and DART to Malahide. Both were very lightly loaded. Likewise, three 29000 set arrived in from the northside and were practically empty. Equally a DART or two went thru in the same direction and were ghost trains.

The only set with any loading on it was the 13:30 to Drogheda which I got on. Only a 4piece and it was plenty full leaving Connolly.

How can people even countenance the notion of screaming for improved holiday services with loadings like this? The demand isn't there, and putting on more trains is certainly NOT going to generate it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Frankly I'm amazed that this thread has run to 3 pages.

The OP is frankly trolling and gets away with it time and time again. Why people bother responding is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    Frankly I'm amazed that this thread has run to 3 pages.

The OP is frankly trolling and gets away with it time and time again. Why people bother responding is beyond me.

Ah Heare...will ye leave ir ouhh....:)

The essence of the thread for me,has expanded beyond what his Fogginess intended,I see a far more productive discussion developing around how the various Public Transport Providers can go about developing new business rather than this endless cycle of downsizing and elimination.

Any expectations that the NTA would become a driving-force in this regard have been tempered significantly for me following on their monumental ball-dropping with LeapCard.

Leapcard,even as presently structured,had the ability to generate new business,attract new users and popularize Public Transport,yet it now flounders around with little real focus except to stimulate curiosity as to where it can be "bought"....

As I said,in my own Job,we have the Staff,we have the vehicles and the necesary working agreements,yet we remain firmly wedded to the Status Quo as we can't get "Approval" to alter anything....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

corktina wrote: »
    it's time everyone realised that Sunday is just another day now. Most shops are open all year on a sunday and there is no reason why the same services should not be available across the board.
    Won't be like that for long the way the EU is going. They didn't create that Working Time Directive for nothing after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The sooner these dinosaurs are extinguished and private operators contracted to do the job properly the better it will be for all concerned.

Buses and trains may even run on time and might even be clean and comfortable...
    "Contracted" means the government still runs the operation especially by setting the timetables and fares. That means they will continue to do what they are doing in spite of demand from the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

CIE wrote: »
    "Contracted" means the government still runs the operation especially by setting the timetables and fares.That means they will continue to do what they are doing in spite of demand from the end user.

And ,in Foggy's case that is demand...with a capital D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    And ,in Foggy's case that is demand...with a capital DSP

Fixed your post ;)

Happy Christmas, Alek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Firstly there has demand for a weekday service but because of the costs of overtime and associated bonuses for the already overpaid staff it would cost the company to much to operate a weekday service on the day.

Most private operators operate the same service Sunday as weekdays and don't have the financial burden from overpaid unionised staff that the cie group have.

You know nothing about overtime , bonuses or the current wage structure across CIE Foggy to be making any comments about them.
    Come up with facts Foggy and we can discuss them, until then quit your trolling.

Chicken and egg...how many didn't use the buses on Sunday because there was a reduced service. If it had been vigorously advertised that there would be an (almost) full service , it may have been a different matter.

As for overtime, well, it's time to stop paying extra for sunday work and time it was just another part of the roster.[/QUOTE]

They already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Chicken and egg...how many didn't use the buses on Sunday because there was a reduced service. If it had been vigorously advertised that there would be an (almost) full service , it may have been a different matter.

As for overtime, well, it's time to stop paying extra for sunday work and time it was just another part of the roster.[/QUOTE]

They already have.

who is they?

the clue is in the thread title.

Advertisement