Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S^3 apps & games (N8, C7, C6, E7 etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

If you're on a Mac, Nokia multimedia transfer syncs your non-DRMed itunes music/playlists to your phone.

Another couple of apps that I've started using and find useful:

YouTube Downloader - Free from picobrothers, it's a pretty useful app for downloading youtube clips you want to keep.

Formula1.com 2011 - Great, free app that keeps you updated on qualifying times etc. all through the race weekend. doens't have the push notifications that the iOS version does, but it's still pretty informative.

ESPN F1 - Another free app, that will help keep you updated on the latest F1 news.

Astroller - Point your phone at the sky and it will identify the stars/constellations. Interesting idea. €2
    There's a free update to the purchased app here

ERC.com - The official, free, app for Rugby's Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup, lists fixtures, results etc.

Opera Mobile has been updated to version 11 and Opera mini to version 6. Both are available from m.opera.com

Sports Tracker - Nice app this (free too!), it uses GPS to track the work outs (walking, cycling, running etc.) you do and you can upload and visualise or share them online. There was a similar app from beta labs a year or two ago but this one took over from it.

Neoreader - a QR/barcode reader (free) - I've found it works much better than Upcode on the C7, visit get.neoreader.com from your phone

Have a few more yet to try before I'd recommend them, so I may be back again!

As an aside, it can sometimes be worth checking out the App developers website as opposed to Ovi as apps can be cheaper, although this works both ways e.g. Joikuspot is cheaper from developer, but Quickoffice is cheaper through Ovi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Must give a thumps up for the youtube downloader. Very handy little application. Been using it for a few days now and it works great and free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

must try that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Anyone have any idea how to exit this app?
    Works like a bomb, but short of pressing the option to see open apps and closing from there, I can't see any way to exit.

Formula1.com 2011 - Great, free app that keeps you updated on qualifying times etc. all through the race weekend. doens't have the push notifications that the iOS version does, but it's still pretty informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

From the people who brought you "Bubbles", a nice new screen-saver:

Nokia Sleeping Screen

You'll need to sign in to download; use your Ovi Store login details.

Once installed, go to Settings › Themes › Screen Saver, and choose "Sleeping Screen" to turn it on.

Works perfectly with the "Bubbles" lock screen.

here is a good site for any S^3phone.

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?board=85.0

already a few boards members here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

What are people using for Facebook on the N8? Is the building in app "Social Network" any good? I tend to try and keep Facebook and Twitter as separate apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

SachaJ wrote: »
    What are people using for Facebook on the N8? Is the building in app "Social Network" any good? I tend to try and keep Facebook and Twitter as separate apps.

thats what i use,i find it to be great.good for uploadin pics from phone,
    or when you press the camera sign you can take a pic there an then an
    upload it.:)

jimmynokia wrote: »
    here is a good site for any S^3phone.

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?board=85.0

already a few boards members here

Dailymobile have their own app on ovi here

Also, Nokia have just released IM for Nokia (Chat via messenger etc.)

IM for Nokia

More details on it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

"whatsapp" is a really good cross platform messanger, when you install it it goes through your phonebook and picks out anyone with an account already, very clean and easy to use.

the new opera browser is also class, text wrapping and pinch to zoom work really well. (m.opera.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

this is a really good app with loads of fx for your photos
    costs 2 euro

http://store.ovi.com/content/106158?clickSource=search

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

New angry birds: Angry Birds Rio
    What happens when everybody ’s favourite fierce fowl get caged and shipped to Rio? They get very angry! In Angry Birds Rio, the original Angry Birds are kidnapped and taken to the magical city of Rio de Janeiro, where they eventually escape their captors and set out to to save their friends, Blu and Jewel – two rare macaw s and the stars of the upcoming Fox motion picture, Rio. Angry Birds Rio will pair the physics-based gameplay of the original game with unique twists based on the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Jesus, Hollywood's really stuck for original ideas!

dr ro wrote: »
    Jesus, Hollywood's really stuck for original ideas!

Its a cash cow,,,not only the game but the merchandise and spin off stuff

Nokia X7 and E6 launched today, arrive Q2 sometime.. Official Link

X7 here and here

E6 here and here

PR2.0 update now called 'Symbian Anna', coming to N8 C7 & C6-01 in summer..

Anna here and here

"For starters, you’ll find that everything moves and runs a lot quicker and smoother. There are new icons and Homescreens scroll a lot nicer and you can even preview the page you’re about to move to, something that is possible on the Symbian PR 1.2 update.

Then there is the arrival of the QWERTY keyboard when in Portrait mode. We’ve checked it out and it works really well and is exactly what people have been hoping would be delivered.

Then there are little treats, designed to make life easier. So, we’ve got a faster browser, better connectivity to Microsoft Email tools and even an improved and faster Photo Gallery. Ovi Maps has a quicker and smoother search and new public transportation routes have been added. For business users you’ll find Enterprise security."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

Anyone know of any games that you can play against other people on their phone? I heard of iphone users playing scrable against each other and everyone used their own phone

CardStar - Simple app thats replaces cards like Tesco clubcard. All you need to do is enter the card number on the card. The app is free.

CardStar lets you easily store and quickly retrieve digital versions of your loyalty, reward and club membership cards. Whether you're at the grocery store, making your travel plans online, or visiting your local gym, don ’t get caught without your cards again. Lighten your load and welcome to CardStar, your mobile loyalty card manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Ovi Maps 3.07 from Betalabs

Ovi Browse Beta
    start_page-192x192.jpg

Haven't tried either myself yet...

Ovi maps 3.07 beta has removed the in app menu and leaves you with separate icons in your applications folder for 'drive', 'check-in' 'guides' etc.
    Not sure if it is an improvement - seems fragmented, though it is nice going straight into drive for navigation..
    People saying it is faster though. Oh and there is now a homescreen widget with the map apps on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

This is much faster to start up, much smoother to use, and I personally prefer the new layout -- press the "Maps" icon, and you get... a map :)

Offline search is also much better than before (but that may just be the new map data that came out for Ireland recently)

And they moved the "Exit" button to the proper place! (bottom right) -- that was so annoying on the previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

That new update for ovi maps its really good,I wasn't expecting that big a change. Any one know can you set the weather to be a widget on the homescreen, seems to be a lack of weather widgets for symbian ^3

OVI Maps 3.07

Anyone know how to get your vehicle's speed to show up on the screen when driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

How do you update it on N8??

I presume you're referring to Ovi Maps 3.07?
    If so, go to http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-07
    Download it to your HDD and use Ovi suite to update.
    I'm not 100% sure because I updated Ovi suite before the maps, but you might need to update Ovi Suite as well.
    DonFred wrote: »
    How do you update it on N8??

That new update for ovi maps its really good,I wasn't expecting that big a change. Any one know can you set the weather to be a widget on the homescreen, seems to be a lack of weather widgets for symbian ^3

Have you tried the AccuWeather app? If you get the symbian^3 version from ovi, it has a widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks Zinzan,I did try that app yea, it has trouble automatically updating tho, you need to keep manually updating the weather and it doesn't look that great, the widgets not even transparent like which is kind of a weird miss, the weather animations on ovi maps look deadly, maybe in an update

By the way, has anyone found a way of linking your contacts to face book profile images withouth the phone downsizing the image, it looks terrible to have a blurry half size image coming in when you get a call

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkBP94ETH611xFougE1aIvFJzmym4skAQm1y4Stzs9gFeq-yw_

MazeLock - Free unlock app that uses similar design to android

Advertisement