Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dail Suspended - Debate and Voting

Options
  • 13-11-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the more enlightened among us as to how a Debate and a Vote of important legislation can take place with a suspended Dail.

Is there precedent for this, is this the done thing ?

I am having trouble understanding how the government debates or votes or enacts legislation in this sort of situation

Or is the debate and subsequent vote cancelled in these situations ?

I thought this warranted a discussion thread of its own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I hope the debate and vote still goes ahead after all the Sinn Fein toys are put back in the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Perhaps the debate might begin when a non-partisan Ceann Comhairle is appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

raymon wrote: »
    I hope the debate and vote still goes ahead after all the Sinn Fein toys are put back in the pram.

You hope the vote still goes ahead with out all TDs in the Dail? is that what you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

listermint wrote: »
    You hope the vote still goes ahead with out all TDs in the Dail? is that what you posted?

No ,

The vote should go ahead when the Dail is reconvened.

It reminds me of a spoilt child sitting on the football so nobody else can play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Dáil cannot debate or vote on legislation while it is in suspension. The government would not be able to pass legislation if it remained in suspension. In reality if you had a situation whereby deputies were preventing the Dáil from operating on a long term basis, the Captain of the Guard would be forced to take action to allow things to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Perhaps the debate might begin when a non-partisan Ceann Comhairle is appointed.

Or maybe people adhere to a democratic vote of their peers, rather than picking and choosing what suits them.

As is this is her second suspense, does she lose dail facilities or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can she not be physically removed from the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Now Gerry Adams is looking to oust the Ceann Comhairle?

It is a bit obvious that Sinn Fein are just blowing smoke to distract from the abuse scandal.

Mary Lou McDonald is one of the more capable TDs. When is she going to realise that she and Sinn Fein will be much better off without Adams.

And I'm no Sinn Fein supporter, so if I can see it, why can't Sinn Fein?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

walshb wrote: »
    Can she not be physically removed from the Dail?

Can you imagine the propaganda value to SF if that happened? Best leave her there showing she's not that into the democratic workings of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Perhaps a Sinn Fein member? I mean, they have to be the most non-partisan political party around:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Godge wrote: »
    Perhaps a Sinn Fein member? I mean, they have to be the most non-partisan political party around:rolleyes:

I'm not a Sinn Fein member, and I've voted Labour all my life but you can believe what you like, I'm not bothered.

I'm not a Sinn Fein member, and I've voted Labour all my life but you can believe what you like, I'm not bothered.

Well, genuinely explain to me where you can find a non-partisan Ceann Comhairle?

Ruairi Quinn is the only name that comes to me who could do the job. Certainly there is no talent on the opposition benches capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Well, genuinely explain to me where you can find a non-partisan Ceann Comhairle?

Ruairi Quinn is the only name that comes to me who could do the job. Certainly there is no talent on the opposition benches capable of it.

Stephen Donnelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

bajer101 wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly?

Donnelly didn't run just to take up a thankless refereeing/admin role.

He wouldn't touch it.

Donnelly didn't run just to take up a thankless refereeing/admin role.

He wouldn't touch it.

True, but I don't think anyone would accuse him of being partisan or unfair. If getting the Dáil suspended becomes a tactic that stops the Dáil functioning, it will become very important to have a Ceann Comhairle whose rulings are obeyed without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Does anyone else find it weird, that the greater the alleged cover up of abuse by SF. The more vocal they are about the water charges. It appears to be keeping the the spotlight of the abuse away from them and focused on 360 degrees turn on water charges.

Does the Ceann Comhairle have to be Irish?

I have a friend in the UK who could do it - she has Irish grandparents.

She'd have everyone getting along ;)

hfallada wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it weird, that the greater the alleged cover up of abuse by SF. The more vocal they are about the water charges. It appears to be keeping the the spotlight of the abuse away from them and focused on 360 degrees turn on water charges.

This is absolutely their tactic - and it will probably work too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hfallada wrote: »

If i wanted to discuss the water charges or abuse cover up id have opened a thread titled that.

I didnt, id probably have also brought in all the other parties too FF FG and Labour who sat by for years covering up systematic abuse in this country.

So enough about finger pointing and back to my question. Some helpful posters have answered it somewhat.

The Ceann Comhairle has to be a sitting TD. No other restriction on nationality.

I'll give her a call - she'll bluff her way in ;)

Seriously though, Barrett is good at his job - if anyone truly wants to cause this kind of rubbish they'll do it no matter who is in the chair.

Would McDonald really have carried on like this if it wasn't for Adams and his baggage?

This is absolutely their tactic - and it will probably work too.

I tend to agree. Today's events have opened up a can of worms that has a fair bit of mileage yet. While there may be an issue with the Ceann Comhairle's impartiality and while something does need to be done about Government Minister's not answering questions - the overriding issue for me is that someone was allowed to stop our Parliament functioning. Despite my misgivings about the Government and the Ceann Comhairle, I am more annoyed that someone was allowed to disrupt the Dáil, after our democratically elected representatives voted to eject that person.

If i wanted to discuss the water charges or abuse cover up id have opened a thread titled that.

I didnt, id probably have also brought in all the other parties too FF FG and Labour who sat by for years covering up systematic abuse in this country.

So enough about finger pointing and back to my question. Some helpful posters have answered it somewhat.

It is related though - it is at the core of what Sinn Fein are doing.

Stephen Donnelly?

Wouldn't do it. It kills your political career. Name a Ceann Comhairle who went on to better things.

Couldn't do it. It also needs someone who knows Dail procedure and precedence and who has been around for a while, rules out first-time TDs.

There is a very short list of people who are respected on all sides of the Dail, you can immediately rule out anyone from Sinn Fein, any of the wacky independents, most FF, FG and Labour backbenchers.

Former Ministers are always a potential choice. They owe nobody anything and are well experienced.

O'Dea and O'Cuiv are tainted by their involvement in the Government that ruined the country. Gilmore was tanaiste recently, can't be him.

Leaves Rabbitte and Quinn, not sure Rabbitte would be good for the job.

Unfortunately, events in the Dail today are inextricably linked to SF efforts to distract from the child abuse scandal.

Wouldn't do it. It kills your political career. Name a Ceann Comhairle who went on to better things.

Couldn't do it. It also needs someone who knows Dail procedure and precedence and who has been around for a while, rules out first-time TDs.

There is a very short list of people who are respected on all sides of the Dail, you can immediately rule out anyone from Sinn Fein, any of the wacky independents, most FF, FG and Labour backbenchers.

Former Ministers are always a potential choice. They owe nobody anything and are well experienced.

O'Dea and O'Cuiv are tainted by their involvement in the Government that ruined the country. Gilmore was tanaiste recently, can't be him.

Leaves Rabbitte and Quinn, not sure Rabbitte would be good for the job.

I absolutely concede the point that Donnelly isn't a suitable candidate at the moment, and was more thinking out loud. The question got me thinking about who would be an acceptable neutral who was well respected and his name was the only one I could come up with.

If we are moving into an era where the Dáil cannot function due to disruptive tactics it will become a role that will have to be looked at more seriously.

I absolutely concede the point that Donnelly isn't a suitable candidate at the moment, and was more thinking out loud. The question got me thinking about who would be an acceptable neutral who was well respected and his name was the only one I could come up with.

If we are moving into an era where the Dáil cannot function due to disruptive tactics it will become a role that will have to be looked at more seriously.

It is difficult to think of someone respected on all sides and who has sufficient experience. The next Dail could be really short of a suitable candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It is difficult to think of someone respected on all sides and who has sufficient experience. The next Dail could be really short of a suitable candidate.

But there is always someone from the back benches that has been around for years that few have heard about but is well respected.

The last holder of the office was Seamus Kirk, whom I doubt many outside Louth ever heard of.

Advertisement