Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seller2010

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice re my post above
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

seller2010 wrote: »
    Hi justa quick question for experts out there. my husband is a telecoms engineer and from looking at recruitment sites it seems that they are in demand in Oz but the jobs offered do not offer sponsorship. We were looking at the 175 visa and cannot believe the cost of applying. We would happily pay it if we were to get a refund if visa was not forthcoming but seems that it is non-refundable??
    So, we were wondering if it is the case that his skill is particularly sought after then would we be better off waiting till after the new system is implemented in July i.e. if we submit our expression of interest and get called upon to submit an application then is this an indication of a good chance of success with our application?
    I should also point out that he is 39 so not sure if age is going against us at this stage. He would also be bringing baggage in the form of me and 3 toddlers, does this affect his application? I do hope to work there and while i'm on the sol, i don't think that i'm particularly in demand in Oz
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to add that I have a brother in oz with pr so would it be any quicker/easier/cheaper to apply for 176 visa with him as my sponsor?

Hello Seller2010....I will attempt to assist...

- With regards to the cost the likely difference between applying now and after July 1st is the Visa application charge which is currently 2960 Aust dollars. Whilst this is not refundable you really shouldn't apply unless you are eligible. Overall the costs are not high considering the outcome can be permanent residency in Australia. If you haven't started the process then it would seem you are looking post July 1st as time is against you.

- The risk with the new system is that you are competing with others. If others that lodge an EOI have a higher passmark than you then they will be invited to lodge a visa application and you may not. You still have to invest in the skill assessment and ielts test before you lodge the EOI so you will have to outlay funds and no refunds apply.

- Having dependents does not have an adverse affect on the process.

- Under the existing program it will not be quicker /easier or cheaper to go under a 176 visa with your brother. Australia is moving away from family reunion etc and is focusing on skills.

Hope this helps...Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kpars

Hi wondering if anyone can help us. We are a family of 5 wanting to apply for 475 visa as we have relatives in OZ who can sponsor us. I have 23 years experience in admin and partner just finishing college. I would be main sponsor. Questions are would my partner get points for degree even though no results to June. Would I qualify under SOL. Are we to late for July deadline. What is cost of visa. Someone told us second installment would be wavered as partner would have a degree. How long does 475 visa usually take to process. Please help as kids anxious to move before christmas to start new year in Aus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What skill are you expecting to be sponsored under? As your relative cant sponsor you without some company employing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seller2010

Thanks Liz, I will get started on the skills assessment so. Any idea what a realistic time frame would be for completion of the skills assessment? My husband has a diploma in electronic engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kpars

My background is administration in hospital. We were told by australian embassey we could be sponsored by brother as he a citizen and lives in a designated area. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Hi
    Just a quick question to see if anyone has experience of moving from a 417 to an 856. My employer has basically said its up to me whether I go for 457 or 856.

Can I get a bridging visa or some sort of exception to the 6 months per employer rule while I wait for the visa?

And lastly which should I go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sundy wrote: »
    Hi
    Just a quick question to see if anyone has experience of moving from a 417 to an 856. My employer has basically said its up to me whether I go for 457 or 856.

Can I get a bridging visa or some sort of exception to the 6 months per employer rule while I wait for the visa?

And lastly which should I go for?

First thing would be can you obtain a skills assessment in order to lodge your 856?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    First thing would be can you obtain a skills assessment in order to lodge your 856?

Yeah that's not a problem, both my qualifications are on the list and I can get them assessed by the SSSI and from talking to the person there, it should be a formality.

Basically from my research I qualify for the 856 no problem, it's just the 6 months per employer than I'm unsure about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sundy wrote: »
    Yeah that's not a problem, both my qualifications are on the list and I can get them assessed by the SSSI and from talking to the person there, it should be a formality.

Basically from my research I qualify for the 856 no problem, it's just the 6 months per employer than I'm unsure about.

Easy if you are ready to to submit an application for a new visa, apply for an extension.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/request-whm-extension.doc

Of course if you are looking to apply for an 856 you need a skills assessment, that could take a month or maybe 2 to obtain and so could hold up your application for an extension.

If you have the choice the 856 every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 9332EDWARD

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions to see if I am entitled to apply for the new 189 visa.

1. For the previous work experience 5 years from the last 10 years, do the years have to be continuous years.

2. Likewise 12 months form the last 24 months work, does this have to be continuous.

3. Qualifications, I have a trade cert and an Engineering Degree, should I get both attested, also can I claim the 15 points from the degree if I am applying for the visa as an Electrician.

4. Does the visa application require all payslips or will P60 and letters of references and dates from employers do.

5. Convictions, I have a drug conviction from 2003, I hope to get it taken off my record when the spent convictions bill is introduced later this year. Will this go against me.

6. How much do you charge for the 189 visa when it is introduced.

Regards
    Edward

Easy if you are ready to to submit an application for a new visa, apply for an extension.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/request-whm-extension.doc

Of course if you are looking to apply for an 856 you need a skills assessment, that could take a month or maybe 2 to obtain and so could hold up your application for an extension.
    Just got off the phone from the professional body who will assess my degree. They reckon 2 weeks max to get my degree recognised.

So I'm going to push for the 856. Its gona cost a bit but seeing as im in the situation to get it, I might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dollymixx

I understand that there are some changes to visa fees after July 1, i.e. That for some visas you will now be charged for the primary and secondary applicant. Does anyone know if this applies to ens 856?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

I have a quick question in relation to the points test that I can't figure out from reading the immi website.

If I want to claim the 15 points for my Bachelor degree do I need to get some sort of verification that it is of an equivalent standard to an Australian degree or will it be enough to send on my transcripts, parchment & certified copy of grading system?
    I have an arts degree from UCD.

Alternatively, I have an accountancy qualification that is being assessed for my skills assessment. Would I need to send in anything in addition to my skills assessment if I wanted to claim the 10 points for that instead of the 15 for the Bachelor degree?

I only need the 10 points so I'll go with whichever one of the above options is more straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

anyoen any idea how long the victoria state sponsership process takes? I've applied for that and will be hopefully sending my documents off to be assesed for the points on the DIAC in the next week or so.

I know the assessment costs money so am i better off waiting for the changes to come in on July 1st before starting anything? i mean the assessment by the ACS will tak a few weeks i'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Quick question for those in the know. Currently living in Sydney and I have a 457 visa, but thinking of applying for PR before the 30 June deadline, the girlfriend is AITI qualified (Irish Institute of Tax) and we were wondering if her skills as an AITI member and with over a years experience of working in a tax role in Australia would be recognised by the Australian institute of Chartered Accounts for the skills list as a taxation account for the 175 visa?

So if anyone has applied with just AITI qualification and been accepted it would be great to know and learn of your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lmgclarke

Just back from Perth visiting my friend which I do once a year, but this time I've decided I'd like to make the move, but I have no idea where to start. The more I look into it the more confused I get. I am a restaurant manager been in my job for 15 years, current one for 6 and have a degree in hospitality mgt. I'll be 34 this year. Anyone have any suggestions where and how I start this process?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Hi all,

I am looking to move to Oz towards the end of the year. I am in talks with a recruitment agency in Sydney about jobs. The 2 companies who are hiring at the moment offer sponsorship. If I was applying for a visa myself I would want a residency migration visa. Can companies offer this? Also would I have to work for these companies for a certain length of time before I move jobs etc? What should I be asking the company for?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cancan1984

hi declan, thinking of applying for skilled migration visa, just wondering what proof do i need to supply regarding my work experience in my trade( qualified carpenter) for 12 months out of the last 24. i have pay slips and reference from my employer stating my duties etc.. will i need tax records ie p60 or any other documents??
    thanks

• Advertisement

Melon what do you expect of the visa? I have never heard of a residency migration visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

How long does it take normally for the 175 visa to be granted since the medicals have gone into a "finalised" state.

Mine are like that since the 17th of May...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭scunner

Hi all,
    We are in the process of sending of our application to visafirst and was just wondering about the deadline of 1st June. I take it that having it with them before then is no guarantee?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Scunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Penny77

Just wondering would my skills qualify under the Washington Accord Qualifications. I have a diploma in Engineering(level 7 ) and post graduate diploma(level 9) but I have NO Bachelor of Engineering Degree. Any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sh2

All,

Apologies if this has been covered a million times - I flicked back a few months on the thread but didn't see it covered.

I'm currently on 417 WHV which expires in Dec. I'm looking into 457/175 options. Having heard varying reports, has anyone recently applied for the 175 while in the country and how long did it take from beginning to end? I've been told that you can apply while in the country and leave and re-enter to activate it when it is finalised? I would like to apply for the 175 but I know I'm short on time since I'd be looking to get it at the latest early next year. If I think I have a chance to get it within that time range, I may try apply before the new system kicks in next month.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Hi,
    Been reading a bit about the migration skills and am interested in working in oz for a year to see what its like and get some work experience which would be useful if i came back to ireland to work.
    I saw the Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) and it sounded perfect as I will be a recent graduate with no experience. But I've seen somewhere that it is only if you spent 2 years of your degree studying in australia, is that correct?

If my main purpose is to work for 12 months, a WHV will not do since my "main purpose is to work", right?

Thanks

Yipee!!!!!

175 Visa Granted today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Congrats Con :)

Cheers zweton,

Think Ill be picking your brain about Brisbane soon as I think thats where were planning to go around March 2013 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

No worries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

I am about to apply for either a 175 or 176 state sponsored visa this week I qualify for both. what is the difference in processing times between both visas? Would I be looking at a minimum wait of 1 year for a 175. How strict are they on you changing states on a 176 before the end of the first two years?

I am about to apply for either a 175 or 176 state sponsored visa this week I qualify for both. what is the difference in processing times between both visas? Would I be looking at a minimum wait of 1 year for a 175. How strict are they on you changing states on a 176 before the end of the first two years?

176 visas have been processed quicker (by several months) up until now. However, with a new visa system from July 1st it is hard to predict processing times. Hopefully Immigration will provide processing guidelines in July.

The obligation under a 176 is an agreement with the relevant state and each operates the program differently.

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Yipee!!!!!

175 Visa Granted today :D

Congratulations and best of luck.

Penny77 wrote: »
    Just wondering would my skills qualify under the Washington Accord Qualifications. I have a diploma in Engineering(level 7 ) and post graduate diploma(level 9) but I have NO Bachelor of Engineering Degree. Any experience of this?

Have a look at this website for guidance.

scunner wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are in the process of sending of our application to visafirst and was just wondering about the deadline of 1st June. I take it that having it with them before then is no guarantee?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Scunner.

The abovementioned is a commercial company and apply on your behalf for a visa. Immigration are changing the skilled visa program on July 1st so your decision is whether to apply under the existing system or the new system.

Nothing is ever guaranteed with Visas so do your research and ensure you understand exactly what steps you need to take and when.

Alway seek clarification from commercial companies in writing.

Good Luck :)

sh2 wrote: »
    All,

Apologies if this has been covered a million times - I flicked back a few months on the thread but didn't see it covered.

I'm currently on 417 WHV which expires in Dec. I'm looking into 457/175 options. Having heard varying reports, has anyone recently applied for the 175 while in the country and how long did it take from beginning to end? I've been told that you can apply while in the country and leave and re-enter to activate it when it is finalised? I would like to apply for the 175 but I know I'm short on time since I'd be looking to get it at the latest early next year. If I think I have a chance to get it within that time range, I may try apply before the new system kicks in next month.

Thanks!

Hello, you can be in Australia when you apply for a skilled visa however no bridging visas are available so timing is important. With a new skilled visa program coming in on July 1 it is hard to predict processing times for the 175 visa. I suggest you act with caution and keep an eye out for the new processing timeframes published by Immigration when the new program is underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Having a quick look online HERE

Is the only difference between the 175 and 176 visa the state/family sponsorship? And is this sponsorship just to assist with accumulating enough points to apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

:) Hi Declan or Liz ,

Im i just seeing thing ?

After july the 1st min points are 60 for skill migration ? are they still counting the scores the same ,
    Thats brillant news for alot of people .

:Dhttp://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/media_releases/1063

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boredjim

Hi all,
    Just been reading this thread and its so hard to keep track of all the info, so just have a few questions of my own. My girlfriend and I have decided to move to perth for a few years, but as I am 31 I cant get a WHV. I am a pipefitter/plumber with 7 years qualified experience I know its on the SOL. Wont be going until next march but I am anxious to get the ball rolling and start applying. What are my best options for a visa, or for finding a company that may be willing to sponsor me from Ireland??
    I know this has all been covered but if anyone has anything to offer please do!!
    Thanks Jim

• Advertisement

teepee wrote: »
    :) Hi Declan or Liz ,

Im i just seeing thing ?

After july the 1st min points are 60 for skill migration ? are they still counting the scores the same ,
    Thats brillant news for alot of people .

:Dhttp://www.newsroom.immi.gov.au/media_releases/1063

Hello...yes new passmark is 60 points HOWEVER all prospective applicants should aim for the highest score possible as the new system is invitation only so those with the higher scores will have a better chance of an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Here's the deal

Your $350 (€270) 457 is not migration its only a basic temporary work permit, you are not entitled to Medicare or any family allowance/Benefits or anything like that.

If you husband Partner is sponsored on a 457 and he lost his job or the employer went bust then unless he was able to secure sponsorship with another employer within 28 days the whole family will have to leave the country. You are there to do a job and if that falls through so does your right to live in Australia. A 457 is not even a guarantee to become a PR but is an indirect route, you still basically need to meet the same criteria on a 457 as you do sitting at home in Ireland.

Your €3000-€8000 Migration visa is like it says on the tin... Migration, you have basically have the same rights as an Australian you can work for who ever you want or work self employed, medicare, school fees, family benefits etc.

The old... you get what you pay for etc
    Mandrake,
    I'm an OT as well,
    Have you completed the OT skills assessment, http://www.cotrb.com.au/index.htm, it costs $500, and it will take up to twelve weeks. Then you have to get registered with http://www.occupationaltherapyboard.gov.au/. Not sure how the registration works, but as far as i can make out, you wont be able to get work without registration, and you need to have the skills assessment done in order to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

ANAPOLIS wrote: »
    I too have been looking into moving to Oz or new zealand. i have looked at all the skills assessments but unfortunately my occupation is not on there:( im an unemployed plant operator,(i see loads of jobs advertised on different sites yet plant operator is not one of them:( i am almost 42 and would be leaving my wife and family behind for 12months or more.

how does someone of my age get a work visa:(? cheers:o

http://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/399211.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrick34

HI ALL MY HUSBAND HAS TO DO A SKILLS ASSESMENT FOR A CARPENTER WITH VICTORIA UNI. HE HAS TO DO A PAPERWORK ASSESMANT FIRST PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO INCLUDE HAERE? WILL 4 YEARS P60'S BE ENOUGH. HE DOES NOT HAVE TRADE PAPERS BUT DID A FAS COURSE BUT JUST DID NOT FINISH LAST BLOCK. HE HAS OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE BUT CAN ONLY PROVIDE P60'S FROM 07 TO 11 AS THE REST ARE LOST. WILL THIS BE OK?

carrick34 wrote: »
    HI ALL MY HUSBAND HAS TO DO A SKILLS ASSESMENT FOR A CARPENTER WITH VICTORIA UNI. HE HAS TO DO A PAPERWORK ASSESMANT FIRST PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO INCLUDE HAERE? WILL 4 YEARS P60'S BE ENOUGH. HE DOES NOT HAVE TRADE PAPERS BUT DID A FAS COURSE BUT JUST DID NOT FINISH LAST BLOCK. HE HAS OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE BUT CAN ONLY PROVIDE P60'S FROM 07 TO 11 AS THE REST ARE LOST. WILL THIS BE OK?

Hello Carrick34,

The Vic Uni website has good guidelines on requirements but essentially you need to demonstrate his skills pathway to becoming a carpenter, so references and details on informal apprenticeship, work experience to date as well as tax documents. As much detail as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrick34

thanks Liz
    my husbands first employer that he has most of his experience with is now deceased and i can only find one of his p60's from 2003 what would you advice? He has an old reference from him stating the dates that my husband worked for him. He has as i said references and p60s from his two previous employers taking him from 2007 until 2011. he has been unemployed from 2011 until now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Does the new system still only take into account one degree ?, Also do you still need 2 years experience to get a permanent visa?, I'm currently on a Job bridge program to get the 2 years experience I need so I can leave Ireland for good.

I have the following...

Electrician, Electrical Services Engineering Degree & Electrical & Electronic Engineering Degree plus 1 year experience in Substation Design.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Also could I apply for a 485 Visa "Graduate Visa" or do I have to being in college in Australia for 2 years ?
    This visa is for you if you are an overseas student who:

is under 50 years of age

in the last six months has completed an eligible qualification(s) as a result of at least two years study in Australia

has the skills, attributes and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

Im just looking at the last line.

carrick34 wrote: »
    thanks Liz
    my husbands first employer that he has most of his experience with is now deceased and i can only find one of his p60's from 2003 what would you advice? He has an old reference from him stating the dates that my husband worked for him. He has as i said references and p60s from his two previous employers taking him from 2007 until 2011. he has been unemployed from 2011 until now

Hello,

Unfortunately I am unable to give clear advice on such a complex set of circumstances on an open forum such as this especially when I have so little background details. I suggest you continue with the research yourself or contact a competent migration agent from www.mara.gov.au and meet with them to discuss the best way forward.

Best of luck...Liz

EDIT:- I just noticed on a different thread that you have a Migration Agent - in which case they should from the outset explain exactly what documents are required and in what format and if you are eligible to pass the skill assessment criteria.....as you appear to have lodged an application I am surprised your work experience paperwork such as what the skill assessment now requires was not submitted in the visa application? I would be asking the question of the migration agent rather than a public forum.....

What is the advantage of using an agent if you know the steps yourself with regards what you need to do to get a 5 year Australian Migration Visa. I mean correct me if im wrong but as far as I know heres what I need to do

1.Pre application skills assessment-cost 590 euro

2.IELTS- cost 185 euro

3.Visa application-2544 euro

4.Police clearance-free

5-Medical-275 euro

Can't I do all the above myself without an agent, of course if using an agent gives me even the slightest advantage I don't mind paying for the service.

Can someone tell me what Liz O' Hagan charges for her service in total

Also if I failed the medical would the visa fee be refundable

Shadow if you want to know Liz s fees please just pm her or call her office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement