Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge/Virb Mount

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

greenspurs wrote: »
    got the mount in Harvey Norman !!! Garmin and all ! :)
    get the sd memeory also.
    When i connect the Virb to the laptop nothing happens ? Do i have to download the software for editing etc ?
    Also shouldnt the light flash when charging ?

I think a manual comes with it that tells you want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yep.. i figured that much out....
    its not that discriptive though. and has no troubleshooting etc..
    Thanks for the sarcasm though ..... Youre good!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

push the usb cable bit deeper into virb and the computer should recognise it. it takes a little more force than usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time out with the Virb and nearly get run over. Drivers must be drawn to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

godtabh wrote: »
    First time out with the Virb and nearly get run over. Drivers must be drawn to them

I won't bother fitting mine then..
    Haven't actually got it in my hands yet. It's arrived at my mates house in UK, but too late for him to bring it out here this shift. New toy for after xmas then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

first spin with the Virb yesterday.
    Very happy with it so far. Good quality, and when secured on the underneath of the bars , its not so noticeable..
    Now off to try figure out how to edit ;)

Update - downloaded the edit tools from Garmin website.
    Very user friendly (thank F*** :) ) and really works well......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Alek wrote: »

I need to get some of this Rain-X, they say it works wonders for camera lenses.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/screenwash-de-icer/rain-x-rain-repellent-200ml

Anyone wants half a bottle? I will never use it whole... :pac:

bought some of this today. need to get small bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

15468577423_6bb32edf64_b.jpg
    15900813358_72d3cd8e49_b.jpg

Got the mount today. Ended up getting a spare one as I had put down an old address of my sisters in London. Fortunately the person got in touch (after I'd ordered a replacement) so if anyone is looking for a spare for €15 I can send one on. It's as per the pics. Looking forward to providing some quality racing footage in 2015 from the A2 peloton.

Anyone using the Virb software on a Macbook. My OS is version 10.7.5 OSX Lion on an old Macbook from 2007/08 and it looks like its the latest OS version for Lion. However Virb Edit won't run on it. :rolleyes:
    Edit: Looks like its possible to update the OS on a MacBook which I wasn't aware of. Will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

15468577423_6bb32edf64_b.jpg
    15900813358_72d3cd8e49_b.jpg

Got the mount today. Ended up getting a spare one as I had put down an old address of my sisters in London. Fortunately the person got in touch (after I'd ordered a replacement) so if anyone is looking for a spare for €15 I can send one on. It's as per the pics. Looking forward to providing some quality racing footage in 2015 from the A2 peloton.

Would take the spare mount off you if its still available. Will send you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just bought one off the Amazon Boxing day sale the Elite for 169.29 delivered, seems like a decent deal, would have gone with the non Elite if it was available in same sale.

@ talkabout: I've sent you a PM re the mount. Get back to me when you have a chance. There's interest elsewhere also.

Managed to download an older version (2.2.1) of Virb Edit so I'm free to play around now a bit with the videos. For anyone possibly looking for older versions of the software here's a link.

@ talkabout: I've sent you a PM re the mount. Get back to me when you have a chance. There's interest elsewhere also.

Managed to download an older version (2.2.1) of Virb Edit so I'm free to play around now a bit with the videos. For anyone possibly looking for older versions of the software here's a link.

hmm.. I've got 10.6.8 and none of those work for me. Not sure my mac will take 10.7. Time for a new macbook I think!!

Alek wrote: »
    push the usb cable bit deeper into virb and the computer should recognise it. it takes a little more force than usual.

Ha I found that also. Plugged it in over night and wondered why it still didn't charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/garmin-gopro-handlebar-mount.htm
    States gopro mount but should work with the virb too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

For anyone with the VIRB, do you need to pair it up with your Edge device? I've only got a 200 atm but it fits my needs right now. I'm thinking the VIRB or the GoPro Hero as it's birthday season and I'm being asked what I'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

No need to pair it, at this time of year when the chances are you're wearing thick gloves trying to use the Garmin touchscreen to start/ stop the Virb is almost impossible, the slider switch on the side of the Virb is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Kinet1c wrote: »
    For anyone with the VIRB, do you need to pair it up with your Edge device? I've only got a 200 atm but it fits my needs right now. I'm thinking the VIRB or the GoPro Hero as it's birthday season and I'm being asked what I'd like.

I use an edge 500 for the usual gps ride data. I have the cheapo Gopro for video.

Then when I get back I use the Virb Edit software to sync the gps file with the video files ( the Gopro breaks your ride down into 17 minute blocks). You can sync by time or use a location to force the gps data to match the video file.
    Then you can overlay your speed, cadence, heart rate, elevation etc on the video file. Join up the video segments and you're done.

Clearly the Virb Elite saves all this bother but the basic Gopro is less than 100 euro.

If you have your edge paired and set up to auto start/stop as soon as you start the ride, the virb will record. No need to touch the camera apart from power on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

And, seeing that the title of the thread is regarding mounts, I am finding that the handlebar mounted camera lens will get road spray from your front wheel or your mate's back wheel. The roads here are covered in sh!t and do check the lens very now and again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

If you have your edge paired and set up to auto start/stop as soon as you start the ride, the virb will record. No need to touch the camera apart from power on

Didn't realise it did auto start/stop, ignore what I said above then, that makes it well worth pairing, assuming you want to record the whole spin and it's not longer than the battery life.
    ashleey wrote: »
    And, seeing that the title of the thread is regarding mounts, I am finding that the handlebar mounted camera lens will get road spray from your front wheel or your mate's back wheel. The roads here are covered in sh!t and do check the lens very now and again!

Bear in mind you're not supposed to wipe the lens with a dry cloth or it might damage the water repellant coating. Pity they couldn't have put a 'crap Irish road spray' repellant on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

ashleey wrote: »
    And, seeing that the title of the thread is regarding mounts

I've more questions so I'll leave the thread for this topic and setup another.

Here's a site selling some innovative mounts for Garmins, cameras and Exposure lights. http://www.racewaredirect.co/product-category/garmin-mounts/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Here's a site selling some innovative mounts for Garmins, cameras and Exposure lights. http://www.racewaredirect.co/product-category/garmin-mounts/

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-edge-exposure-mount/

Looks nice.

I have become fond of seeing my levers in my Virb videos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

any local shop in Dublin selling this edge/virb.gopro combo mount? and if someone know how much incase... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I got a K-Edge one in Cyclesuperstore. Think it was about €50

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=54368

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Crocked wrote: »
    I got a K-Edge one in Cyclesuperstore. Think it was about €50

looking for combo mount, might pop in to the shop hope to get lucky. thank you

Advertisement