Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Actually, if anybody really wants to geek out over elevated 'expressways' in Cork, have a look for the BKS study from 1969. It essentially recommended the destruction of a swath of the city centre, and the construction of a system of urban motorways, inculding an elevated expressway and interchange on the North quays (to the west of the railway station). It was never built, both because of the lack of funds and because of the fact that it was clear that it would fundamentally change the city.

In reality it was a major contributor to the advent of the LUTS plan and thence to CASP, as it made it clear to everyone that unless there were real changes, the city and surrounding region would grind to a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tremelo wrote: »
    Great shots. You somehow managed to make the rainbow bridge seem half decent looking. You've also saved me the hassle of walking it in the next few days before it's demolished to snap a few pics.

Looks like it'll be replaced by a pedestrian underpass.

I wonder if they'll start with the Bandon Roundabout or the Sarsfield one, or whether they'll do them simultaneously.

Eeek:eek: Local scallies will be already hatching plans to rob old ladies and sell drugs as we speak!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

murphym7 wrote: »
    Eeek:eek: Local scallies will be already hatching plans to rob old ladies and sell drugs as we speak!:)

They'll need Scuba gear. That area is a bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Actually, if anybody really wants to geek out over elevated 'expressways' in Cork, have a look for the BKS study from 1969. It essentially recommended the destruction of a swath of the city centre, and the construction of a system of urban motorways, inculding an elevated expressway and interchange on the North quays (to the west of the railway station). It was never built, both because of the lack of funds and because of the fact that it was clear that it would fundamentally change the city.

In reality it was a major contributor to the advent of the LUTS plan and thence to CASP, as it made it clear to everyone that unless there were real changes, the city and surrounding region would grind to a halt.

I've often heard about this. They planned to put a motorway straight through the city centre.

Anyone know where I could view this. Anyone have a copy of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I've often heard about this. They planned to put a motorway straight through the city centre.

Anyone know where I could view this. Anyone have a copy of it ?

You can see a drawing of what one of the sections would have looked like in the Atlas of Cork City.

I think there were plans to fill in the Grand and Royal Canals in Dublin for conversion to motorways at around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You can see a drawing of what one of the sections would have looked like in the Atlas of Cork City.

I think there were plans to fill in the Grand and Royal Canals in Dublin for conversion to motorways at around the same time.

I'm hoping either City, County or the UCC library has a copy. Love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm hoping either City, County or the UCC library has a copy. Love to see it.

All three probably have; UCC certainly has. The author is a geographer there. Good thing those plans were never implemented. The proposed roads would have been ghastly beyond measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Link to an Archiseek thread that shows a map for the plans for Dublin, including dual-carriageways parallel to sections of the canals:

http://irish-architecture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4408&p=41573

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Just came across this by accident, from build.ie

Irish Industry News

28/07/2011€60m N25 South Ring Road Scheme On Track

A sod turning ceremony is expected to take place this Friday, the 29th of July, for the €60 Million N25 South Ring Road Sarsfield Road to Bandon Road, Road Improvement Scheme in Cork. The project involves the upgrading of the N25 South Ring Road in Cork between the Kinsale Road Interchange and the Ballincollig Bypass Scheme.
    The project will also include the provision of grade separated junctions at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout and the Bandon Road Roundabout and the provision of parallel link roads between the roundabouts.

Main contractor, Siac Construction Limited has been appointed to undertake work on the scheme, which is expected to take in the region of 24 months to complete.

Link: http://www.build.ie/construction_news.asp?newsid=129679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Link to an Archiseek thread that shows a map for the plans for Dublin, including dual-carriageways parallel to sections of the canals:

http://irish-architecture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4408&p=41573

Well the plan there was to fill in the canals. They would be used as bed for proposed motorways that would go all the way out to the "M50".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

All three probably have; UCC certainly has.

Don't know if there's one in UCC (staff in the Geography may have a copy, but I never found one in the library there), but there's certainly one in the City Library.

MINISTER FOR Transport Leo Varadkar has turned the sod on works on the N25 Cork southern ring road, which it is anticipated will bring a major reduction in journey times.

The proposed scheme is the final link to a free-flowing route from the western end of the N22 Ballincollig bypass to the northern end of the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

The N25 South Ring Interchanges Scheme comprises the upgrading of 3km of the route and involves the demolition of footbridges at the Bandon and Sarsfield Road roundabouts and the construction of parallel link roads.

“This project will improve road safety, inter-regional connectivity and improve the quality of life for people living and working in Co Cork,” Mr Varadkar said.

“With an investment of €98 million on the construction of the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, it is tangible evidence of this Government’s commitment to road safety and economic growth.”

National Roads Authority chief executive Fred Barry said: “The N25 Cork Southern Ring Road project will deliver more consistent journey times to and through the Cork region by providing a high quality link between the N22 and N71 in the southwest with the N8, N25 and N28.”

Gerard Goodwin, senior engineer with Cork City Council, said the new stretch of road would be of motorway standard, although it had not yet been decided whether the route would be upgraded to a motorway.

“At the moment, there is severe congestion for most of the year at those two roundabouts,” Mr Goodwin said. “The new works will eliminate all of these and create a free flow of traffic. We estimate that journey times will be reduced by 75 per cent at peak times.”

During the Minister’s visit, Cork Chamber president John Mullins called on Mr Varadkar to publish an integrated transport policy for an exporting economy that established the sustainable funding basis for infrastructure.He called on all Cork Ministers, TDs and elected officials to show their support in opposing the introduction of an opportunistic toll on the Jack Lynch Tunnel. “Tolling will have significant adverse affect on users, operators and the general public.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0730/1224301619127.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Interesting that they're considering upgrading it to motorway. Not realistic until Dunkettle is done though.

Work is concentrated on the new parallel lanes westbound between the Sarsfield and Bandon roundabouts at the moment. Not much to see from the current road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Work is concentrated on the new parallel lanes westbound between the Sarsfield and Bandon roundabouts at the moment. Not much to see from the current road.

I see a lot of cones in place near the Bandon roundabout also Siac fencing in place. I should be able to get some pics of the future progress.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

A lot of clearing up work being done at the moment. They've cleared most of the ditch/hedging on the westbound side of the dual carrigway. Seems to be plenty of space over there. Only noticed how much once they started clearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Most of the work is taking place on the southern side of the road between the Bandon and Sarsfields roundabouts at present. They have blocked off the hard shoulder between the two roundabouts west-bound. This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic :(
    easy fixed.

slap one of these signs on the road and no longer will cyclists be in danger!

r5-6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

easy fixed.

slap one of these signs on the road and no longer will cyclists be in danger!

r5-6.gif

Clearly not a cyclist then? :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Clearly not a cyclist then? :rolleyes:.
    I am but any roads where i am (Munich by the way) which are as busy as the south ring and not designed in any way shape or form to accomodate cyclists have a ban on cyclists and other slow moving or non motorised traffic.
    It means having to take some long badly signed detours at times but the restriction means you arent competing with vehicular traffic on one of the busiest roads in the country.
    So its being cruel to be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Most of the work is taking place on the southern side of the road between the Bandon and Sarsfields roundabouts at present. They have blocked off the hard shoulder between the two roundabouts west-bound. This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic

Can't you just cycle on the path on the northern side of the road. Presume it will remain open for another while before they need to remove it?

Also, they had the 3 lanes merged into 1 from the forge hill bridge to the sarsfield roundabout last night, it looked like they were erecting some barriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Any idea if there will be access for pedestrians during works, while they're knocking the flyover? It's used a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

How's this looking traffic-wise at the moment people?

I'll be down next Friday and heading from the tunnel direction towards West Cork at about 2.30 or 3 on Friday afternoon. Better to go Airport > Fivemilebridge > Ballinhassig > N71? or is it moving sufficiently well?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

MrDerp wrote: »
    How's this looking traffic-wise at the moment people?

I'll be down next Friday and heading from the tunnel direction towards West Cork at about 2.30 or 3 on Friday afternoon. Better to go Airport > Fivemilebridge > Ballinhassig > N71? or is it moving sufficiently well?

Going OK at the moment cause the schools are still off and there won't be lane closures for a few months. Next Friday I would think most of the schools will be back but if you're there around 2.30 to 3 then you should be fairly OK. Not a huge volume of traffic at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

+1, the schools are back on Wednesday so who knows?? Noramlly on a Friday its busiest between 12:30 and 2pm.

You could always chance it and if traffic is very heavy, turn off at Sarsfield Roundabout and head up Spur hill, and down past Chetwynd Cemetery :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

No problem today at 3:30pm. You'll be grand - all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EDINBRO

Was shocking today at half 5. Its gonna get a whole lot worse.

Definitely if heading west go via Airport road, 5 mile bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

phi3 wrote: »
    Any idea if there will be access for pedestrians during works, while they're knocking the flyover? It's used a lot.

Ya there will be access for pedestrians. Think they are going to have something like whats on the existing Bandon rd roundabout. The pedestrian flyover is planned to be demolished over the October bank holiday weekend. The N25 will be closed for the entire weekend afaik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

caeser wrote: »
    Ya there will be access for pedestrians. Think they are going to have something like whats on the existing Bandon rd roundabout. The pedestrian flyover is planned to be demolished over the October bank holiday weekend. The N25 will be closed for the entire weekend afaik!

That will be interesting for traffic to say the least. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I doubt it. They dont need an entire weekend to demolish it. An hour at night with a JCB will bring most of it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I doubt it. They dont need an entire weekend to demolish it. An hour at night with a JCB will bring most of it down.

I doubt that, I'd say most of it will be crushed onsite and reused as fill if they not going to reuse it as a pedestrian bridge. The metal railing will surely be recycled, and that will take a half day to remove etc.

I'd say there is easily 3 days work in completely removing the structure, but it might be demolished quickly and move off the road.

Do we know when the bridge will be removed? Work so far seems... slow.

Update attached. Nothing really to see on the ground yet. I've moved to Ballincollig and will have to go through these two b.astards every day for the next two years. Looking forward to seeing the two flyovers take place.

Good (for the rest of us).

DAILY pictures while you sit in the traffic please!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Update attached. Nothing really to see on the ground yet. I've moved to Ballincollig and will have to go through these two b.astards every day for the next two years. Looking forward to seeing the two flyovers take place.

my heart bleeds for ya, ive been doing it every day for the last 6 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Good (for the rest of us).

DAILY pictures while you sit in the traffic please!

Lots of trees cleared today on the south east side of the Sarsfield

4EPb0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Well I did warn you :D

Very slow progress so far, I thought they'd be working around the clock on this

omerin wrote: »
    Well I did warn you :D

Very slow progress so far, I thought they'd be working around the clock on this

You did, but I got a magnificent apartment that I would have been mad to turn down.

BAM are building the flyovers. BAM like to take their time. The days of projects coming in almost a year ahead of schedule are well and truly at an end I'd say. It'll be interesting to observe the dismantling of the pedestrian bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I don't think I've seen any person stick to or below the 60 k/m hr speed limits.

I don't think I've seen any person stick to or below the 60 k/m hr speed limits.

True that. So far the works don't seem to have had any affect on traffic at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Why would they when 'the learned experience' is that there is only very occasional, if any at all, enforcement of 'works speed limits' in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 vf949

You did, but I got a magnificent apartment that I would have been mad to turn down.

BAM are building the flyovers. BAM like to take their time. The days of projects coming in almost a year ahead of schedule are well and truly at an end I'd say. It'll be interesting to observe the dismantling of the pedestrian bridges.

Are SIAC not the main contractors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

SIAC are the main contractor.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but the demolition of the pedestrian bridge coming up will be a very interesting operation. Its particularly complex because its basically a huge prestressed beam. If you just start cutting the bridge, the tendons will fly out and possibly do major damage. Also once this stress is released, the bridge wont stand on its own and it all falls down.

A sequence they might use is:
    Prop the whole bridge
    Locally break out around the ends of the tendons
    Somehow relieve the prestress in the tendons.
    Start the demolition.

New update attached.

Must say, I'm liking these regular updates. I'll be going through both roundabouts twice daily from Monday onwards - and I'll likely be the only person in the city who looks forward to that prospect. My camera, which has been gathering dust for the past year, is being charged ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Do you not use it for anything other than roads Shane? :cool: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Do you not use it for anything other than roads Shane? :cool: :pac:

What else is there? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Any more pictures...don't get to Cork too often

I plan to take a batch of photos at the weekend. The construction works are starting to get interesting now.

• Advertisement

EVERY day :D

Advertisement