Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Class areas and the annual race to get the tacky Christmas lights up first.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Lapin wrote: »
    Something I've noticed in recent years is an apparent race between the occupants of a number of houses in a council estate near me to don their homes with the most gaudy over the top Christmas lights, and the determination by some of the residents to get theirs up before the neighbours.

Two houses in particular have had theirs up for almost a fortnight now.

And each year they seem to get more and more outlandish and ostentatious with larger then scale figures of Santa Claus lit up at the chimney to be seen for miles around and further lights now festooned around the garden and every available space on the walls of the house.

I don't have a problem with anyone tarting up their houses for the festive season. It has long since been accepted as the most tasteless time of the year, but I'd prefer if they were confined to the festive season rather than two months of the year.

Of course I acknowledge that there are middle class people who turn their residences into garish winter wonderlands every year too. I don't know where they get the time. But the phenonmen of displaying the most jaunty glittery tat annually, and the quest to get it up first every year is overwhelmingly a feature of working class council estates urban areas.

Its not as if there are prizes for doing so like there are for the Tidy Towns competition during the Summer, (although that doesn't seem to be an insentive in many of these estates anyway.)

The first electricity of the new year for families with such displays must be eye watering, but that's none of my business. I do wonder though it this race to get the lights up earlier every year adds increased pressure to fire crews around the country as the potential for fire risk must be a lot higher with so many lights and electrical sockets in use.

You say all classes partake in this tradition but you single out working-class estates, and then you describe some of the house decorations you've seen as tacky. You don't address any class issues or mention why you felt the need to describe the estate as working-class. You then make a strange assumption that somehow the people involved in this tradition might be socially irresponsible since it may be putting pressure on the emergency services! Your post is laden with value judgments!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You say all classes partake in this tradition but you single out working-class estates,

I didn't single out anyone. I've said this a couple of times now, but I'll repeat - I'm just curious as to why the tradition is predominent in working class estates. Thats not a value judgement. Its an observation.
    ...and then you describe some of the house decorations you've seen as tacky.

Yep, I think Christmas decorations (of any kind) in the middle of November are indeed 'tacky'. No matter where they are displayed.
    You don't address any class issues or mention why you felt the need to describe the estate as working-class.

I live around the corner from the estate. Everyone describes it as a working class estate. Including those living there. Some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet live there. Some complete tossers too but thats no different than anywhere else.
    You then make a strange assumption that somehow the people involved in this tradition might be socially irresponsible since it may be putting pressure on the emergency services!

Careful now. You'll be picking the splinters out of your fingertips all night if you scrape the bottom of that barrell too much.
    Your post is laden with value judgments!

Is it fuck.

You along with others on this thread see the words 'working' and 'class' and immediately jump to the conclusion that I am being derogitave.

And in a rush to claim offence, (or even worse) claim offence on behalf of others, you rabble on here with others accusing me of being judgemental without even attempting to offer an explaination to the points I raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Fair enough, maybe I'm wrong and I'll be the first to admit I can jump to conclusions (apologies if I am).

But I'm not wrong to say the way you wrote that post made it look like you were singling out one group of people (much maligned on AH!) for criticism of a tradition they might enjoy. Describing the estates repeatedly as working-class without going into detail as to why that that fact is of interest is a bit suspect. People would've said the same if you mentioned how you hate how black people wear brown shoes and how it's tacky but also acknowledge white people do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Scraping the bottom of the barrel there for content to fill your morning rant!

I think he's after going through the bottom of the barrel a long time ago and actually scraping up snails and muck from the ground now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Christmas - in the middle of November ?
    Jaysus you obliviously haven't been to many shopping centers lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

We don't have a class system in Ireland. Some people think it's acceptable to label people according to the situation they've been born into but I don't.

Same here.

And nowhere - nowhere on this thread or any other do I cast aspersions on anyone based on their background.

I'm simply curious as to why such ostentatious displays are more prevalent in such areas as opposed to others.

And before anyone else begins frothing at the mouth in a charge of indignation against things I didn't say, have a read of this -

"A number of brief observations were made throughout the evening’s engagement with the Christmas illuminated landscape. Firstly, there did seem to be a general correlation between the displays and socio-economic areas, with working-class and lower-middle class areas having a greater number of very elaborate displays, compared to the more sombre illuminations of middle-class areas. In fact, many middle-class areas were devoid of exterior lights...."

It seems I'm not alone.

Source

Define working class?

delw wrote: »

Come on, commercial premises are a lot different. Still too early for my liking but still different than family homes.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    We don't have a class system in Ireland. Some people think it's acceptable to label people according to the situation they've been born into but I don't.

We've had a class system in Ireland for centuries and still do. Very much so. Whether you or I think its acceptable or not is irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
    Define working class?

Oh piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seen this last year at my brothers in Scotland during Xmas, Channel 5's Britain's Craziest Christmas Lights, its a bit of an eye opener, a literal eye opener of dazzling lights, the amount spent on these displays must be phenomenal. I thought I'd post this anyway, kinda relevant to the thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Come on, commercial premises are a lot different. Still too early for my liking but still different than family homes.

We've had a class system in Ireland for centuries and still do. Very much so. Whether you or I think its acceptable or not is irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

Oh piss off.

No I think it's garbage. An antiquated word for people who feel comfortable labelling people. If you said lower income area it would be more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

delw wrote: »

I was in Blanchardstown sc at the very end of October there. The centre was all decorated with halloween stuff but Debenhams had all of their xmas decorations up.
    I much confused that day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

I love it when a thread explodes in someone's face.

No I think it's garbage. An antiquated word for people who feel comfortable labelling people. If you said lower income area it would be more accurate.

Semantics won't change anything.

I love it when a thread explodes in someone's face.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

If I ever own my own place I am keeping the Christmas decorations on all year round now just because of this thread.

If I ever own my own place I am keeping the Christmas decorations on all year round now just because of this thread.

See, I wouldn't bad an eyelid at something like that. I'd just consider you to be a bit of a fruit loop and carry on.

But this lark of apparently outdoing each other by having to be the first in the estate to get the lights up every year, to the extent where, at current trends they'll be going up in September before long.

I don't get that at all.

See, I wouldn't bad an eyelid at something like that. I'd just consider you to be a bit of a fruit loop and carry on.

You would be absolutely correct. You are a shrewd shrewd man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Middle and working class? Please bring your thinking into this century and we can have a level debate.

Here you go - same classification system is frequently used here for marketing and socio economic classification
    Demographic classifications in the UK refer to the social grade definitions, which are used to describe, measure and classify people of different social grade and income and earnings levels, for market research, social commentary, lifestyle statistics, and statistical research and analysis
    The social grade definitions by the NRS are widely used as a generic reference series for classifying and describing social classes, especially for consumer targeting and consumer market research by the advertising UK media and publishing sectors.

National Readership Survey (NRS) demographic categories

Social Grade Social Status Occupation
    A upper middle class higher managerial, administrative or professional
    B middle class intermediate managerial, administrative or professional
    C1 lower middle class supervisory or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional
    C2 skilled working class skilled manual workers
    D working class semi and unskilled manual workers
    E those at lowest level of subsistence state pensioners or widows (no other earner), casual or lowest grade workers

http://www.pfizer.ie/in_the_news.cfm?action=showArticle&articleID=75

http://www.abc1demographic.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

But this lark of apparently outdoing each other by having to be the first in the estate to get the lights up every year, to the extent where, at current trends they'll be going up in September before long.

I don't get that at all.

I actually know someone who puts the lights etc on the house/garden and begins it in September. Its also done for a charitable cause.

I don't get that at all.

See if I had my fairy lights up all year long then I would win. See.

• Advertisement

They would be pink as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

No, not like that sicko! And we're waiting for marriage you filthbag.

Congratulations. The old fashioned way or are you with child?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Aah Lapin give it up mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is a big house on Bath Avenue (which leads directly to one of the Aviva entrances) in Ballsbridge, that does a mega light display every year. It's a big house, on a corner with a massive front garden. Probably worth a couple of million squids easy. They invite the public to come in and have a good goo, let the little chislers run around, get up close and personal with the 6 ft tall illuminated snowmen and reindeers, have their picture taken etc etc. They have random buckets set up around the garden for people to make a contribution to various charities, which most people do. The lights are always on in time for the November rugby internationals & soccer friendlies at the Aviva.

With about 200,000 odd people attending those games, I'd say that, they raked in a fcuking fortune for the charities this year. I read somewhere that the owners got the idea from the house in Artane that does the same thing, but on a smaller scale for the St Vincent de Paul & the Hospice in Raheny.

So anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, down with those horrible working class plebs and their hideously tacky lights. What do they think they are about at all... that whole making a difference in the world & making it a much brighter & better place malarkey? How bloody dare they ! Well done to the OP for making us aware of this terrible travesty. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When will people listen to their betters... Eh, OP?

(So much roll eyes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I don't get that at all.

You need to look inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

and some of the houses collect money for charity so that's good too.

Hee hee, I like it! You have to admire those blokes that collect for 'charity'.
    They give up so much of their time collecting for 'charity' that I can see why they wouldn't have time to go out and work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The term "working class" is a bit ridiculous anyway.
    Working as opposed to what? Speculators and aristocrats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just seen the first house with Christmas lights in our town all lit up last night - of course it's in the council estate.

One of the houses across the road from ours used to put on their lights in Nov as well - I remember one year only rested after my Income Tax deadline (mid Nov) and they had the lights on - I remember so specifically cos we had a couple over to dinner with us for a catch up and when they were leaving I remember the 4 of us standing at the front door with our mouths open! Thanks god they moved out last year. Neither of them worked. I don't live in a council estate btw.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    When will people listen to their betters... Eh, OP?

(So much roll eyes)

Oh come on for crying out loud.

Nowhere have I ever claimed to be 'better' and I don't look down on anyone.

Thats a cheap jibe.
    Valetta wrote: »
    You need to look inwards.

This is the kind of moronic dim witted and idiotic response that I shouldn't rise to, but Its typical of so many others who haven't bothered their arse to read the thread yet come on here mouthing off without adding anything of value.

Like the first response in this thread, its the kind of playground reply so beloved of thanks whoring contributors on After hours who log on to insult someone rather than try and put forwad an argument to prove them wrong.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    The term "working class" is a bit ridiculous anyway.

I agree, but that is the conventional term in use and neither you nor I are gonna change that here so its the one we're stuck with.

Advertisement