Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pointless Nature of the Ronan Collins "Hour".

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting to hear that promo which attempts to suggest the Ronan Collins Hour is full of hidden gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cathal Murray plays a far better and eclectic mic of tracks that Ronan Collins, plus he's nowhere near as narky or as defensive on the radio as Collins !

Plus he plays The Cocteau Twins so that's enough for me !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cathal Murray plays a far better and eclectic mic of tracks that Ronan Collins, plus he's nowhere near as narky or as defensive on the radio as Collins !

Dr. Watson is correct. No s*it Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mike65 wrote: »
    Interesting to hear that promo which attempts to suggest the Ronan Collins Hour is full of hidden gems.
    Not exactly.

I think it trys to suggest he plays music you won't find anywhere else, which seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not exactly.

I think it trys to suggest he plays music you won't find anywhere else, which seems reasonable.

You certainly won't find it anywhere else - that a definite;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He does play great stuff on occasion, when he doesn't repeat it, or cut it off in mid verse.

Given his past, and the amount of people he knows-he is prone to lapses into obscure showband stuff or meanderings into the recordings of people he would have come up with in the Sixties and Seventies. I don't mind that so much, my main beef is that the show is too short, too formulaic, and Ronan is only punching the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Just heard an ad for Ronan Collins' show on the radio while driving home. I'm not sure why they are promoting it.. There is no demand for "early lunchtime music" any more.. I turn over to Jonathan Healy on NT, and I presume a lot of other people do too..

I disagree with that, Radio 1 needs some non-current affairs programming to break up the Pat Kenny-News at One-Liveline run. I don't think listeners are switching to Newstalk in huge numbers at that time.

The average age of posters on this thread is probably lower than the average Radio 1 listener. A lot of their listeners like to hear old songs on the Radio, and there aren't many places to hear the songs which Ronan Collins plays.

Having said that, I agree with Roundymooney that it is a lazy programme (song selections based on anniversaries, birthdays and requests). It could be freshened up and given some new features.

And longer-I'd love to see it where Mooney is now (and Mooney consigned to midnight on Christmas and New Years eve).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

And longer-I'd love to see it where Mooney is now (and Mooney consigned to midnight on Christmas and New Years eve).

No!

I want John Creedon back where he belongs in the afternoon slot.

I'd have that too, to be fair.

I heard that trailer WM was on about regarding Cathal. They have the poor soul on a 6am start!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

vicwatson wrote: »

Yes, but he's just a chap. Not suffering from the symptoms of age yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

With all the talk of rejuvenation, I think its time Ronan took over for Larry on 2FM. It is supposed to be a young peoples station and Collins is only 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

One thing that annoys me about Ronan is that he'll play a song and then say, "That was Isla Grant there, for sister Mary O'Neill by Nora", and you momentarily think the request was for a nun rather than for one sister to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,644 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Cathal Murray filling in for Ronan again on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I sincerely wish that listeners tune in to Pat Kenny on Newstalk for the extra half hour 12 midday to 12.30 pm.

This would affect Ronan Collin's listernship which I think would be great!

Both Ronan Collins and Marty Whelan have been on RTE Radio for over 33 years each. The tragedy is that neither of them should ever have been let near a microphone, let alone become national broadcasters.

Another example of RTE shooting themselves in the foot. There are scores of infinitely better presenters on local radio throughout the country.

Once again the public is badly served by..............the public service!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

There are a lot of people who wouldn't agree with you, bureau. Included in their number are all those who keep sending in requests to Ronan Collins daily. He plays a lot of old stuff, but also new - it's on his show that first I heard that great song 'Stir Crazy' by Karrie, for instance - he gives everyone a chance, imo. His catholic tastes add to his charm, if any addition were needed. There are more than enough radio shows to turn to for those who don't care for Ronan - so what's the problem really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

virino wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who wouldn't agree with you, bureau. Included in their number are all those who keep sending in requests to Ronan Collins daily. He plays a lot of old stuff, but also new - it's on his show that first I heard that great song 'Stir Crazy' by Karrie, for instance - he gives everyone a chance, imo. His catholic tastes add to his charm, if any addition were needed. There are more than enough radio shows to turn to for those who don't care for Ronan - so what's the problem really?

For starters, having to pay a licence fee to hear him play an hour of golden oldies, and then the salary he's been getting for this hour.

so what's the problem really?
    The problem is that he hasn't the talent to be an appealing radio presenter YET HE HAS HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO HAVE A SIGNIFICANT PROFILE ON NATIONAL RADIO DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS.

The problem is that he is difficult to listen to.

The problem is that I cringe when I hear him.

Regards

Radiofan

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Well, I don't share that problem, thank goodness. He is only on for one hour, lately filling in for other presenters, for an hour and a half. It's a long day. Listening to some of the stuff on the radio, he could have a few more hours for my money. No job is easy, and I guess his is probably the same.

Why do you listen to his show, though? Or does someone else own the radio? If so, I understand. It's your lack of freedom that grates really.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,644 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Cathal Murray doing another sterling job sitting in for Ronan.

If Ronan didn't...talk...so slowly...in his introduction...to playing...a...song...he could squeeze two more songs in!

Give Cathal the 12 till 1 slot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Cathal Murray is good.
    Was also very good on really early morning slot.

Don't mind Ronan tbh.
    Plays some decent ones from the vaults.

Nothing wrong with a relaxing hour on the radio IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cathal Murray doing another sterling job sitting in for Ronan.

If Ronan didn't...talk...so slowly...in his introduction...to playing...a...song...he could squeeze two more songs in!

Give Cathal the 12 till 1 slot.

If we complain loudly enough then they might just bring back Harbour Hotel to replace Ronan :)

If we complain loudly enough then they might just bring back Harbour Hotel to replace Ronan :)
    At least Harbour Hotel would have some merit........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

It's tired , hackneyed, repetitive, out of touch , boring.

Same old,same old, same patter, introduction, cadence, delivery.

I would respectfully suggest it's time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Figures are always solid, but he is cushioned by two pretty huge shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

How much is RC on?
    It's a handy number he has, play a few songs and read out a few birthday requests for a few auld wans, for an hour each day.
    Radio 1 goes from good to brutal, back to good several times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

MJ23 wrote: »
    How much is RC on?
    It's a handy number he has, play a few songs and read out a few birthday requests for a few auld wans, for an hour each day.
    Radio 1 goes from good to brutal, back to good several times a day.

Just re-cycles the scripts, changes the names and switches on the auto-play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Trebor176 wrote: »

Interesting to note while Imelda covers for Ronan, Lily Allen has prerecorded a show as she covers for Demot o leary this weekend on the BBC, wonder will Imelda be live ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Wish I'd known Imelda May was on. Missed it!

Advertisement