Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facts or news stories that make you worry for the future of mankind/do a facepalm

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

The BBC has received some 850 complaints from viewers upset they interrupted a broadcast of Mrs Brown’s Boys for a news bulletin on Nelson Mandela’s death.

Today, the broadcaster was standing by its decision to interrupt the programme – which was a repeat - last Thursday night to report the death of Mandela

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/bbc-receives-850-complaints-after-interrupting-mrs-browns-boys-with-bulletin-on-nelson-mandelas-death-29822161.html

Mrs Brown's Boys! The only TV show I pre-judge people on if they say they watch it.

Another one; gay people arent allowed give blood in Ireland and (some) other countries based on the presumption of the sexual lifestyles that they lead and therefore the quality of their blood.

What facts or news stories make you worry for the future of mankind and/or do a facepalm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foreverme99

It seems a lot of ppl have lost touch with what is important to them in their life. Some ppl should get their priorities right, instead of petty things like complaining that an episode of mrs browns boys was cut short. Too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I would rather watch a funeral than Mrs Browns Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

2 people I work with didn't know who
    Nelson Mandela was....never heard of him. Serious facepalm...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I would rather be at my own funeral than watch that muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

It seems a lot of ppl have lost touch with what is important to them in their life. Some ppl should get their priorities right, instead of petty things like complaining that an episode of mrs browns boys was cut short. Too much time on their hands.

Yeah because finding out about the death of Nelson Mandela as soon as possible is whats really important. His death was gonna be plastered everywhere for as long as possible anyway, there's no need to go interrupting whatever shíte people are watching to let everyone know immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The fact that enough folk find Mrs browns boys entertaining enough to warrant repeating it is pretty worrying in the first place.

Mankind has lost its sense of humour it seems.

For me. It's the way health experts say one thing, and in the next breath say something different.

E-cigs for example. If I was a cynic... I'd say govts don't like the tobacco revenue they're losing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

How about the fact that people judge others based on the fact they watch a TV show ? If that's the standard of intellect you're aiming for I'll join the Mrs Browns Boys crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I would rather watch a funeral featuring the cast of Mrs Browne's Boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

On a more serious note, Antibiotic resistant bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

People considering voting for FF again is seriously worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

1) people who believe in homeopathy to such a degree that it's detrimental to their health

2) people who post pictures of their credit card online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

A record label called "Young Money Cash Money Billionaires" being taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Gay people giving blood can spread 'the Gay', this is common knowledge. I read it in a 1940s booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Omackeral wrote: »
    I would rather watch a funeral featuring the cast of Mrs Browne's Boys

I would like to be the cause of that particular funeral.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

131spanner wrote: »
    A record label called "Young Money Cash Money Billionaires" being taken seriously.

It's probably P.Diddys who's not far off a billionaire though!

The man really know how to get into the mind of Americas kids.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

On a recent holiday while visiting the Holocaust museum one of my fellow travellers asked what the Holocaust was....I have never wanted to slap someone so hard in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nabber wrote: »
    Gay people giving blood can spread 'the Gay', this is common knowledge. I read it in a 1940s booklet.
    If you accepted blood from Mrs Brown it would turn you into a transvestite :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

On a recent holiday while visiting the Holocaust museum one of my fellow travellers asked what the Holocaust was....I have never wanted to slap someone so hard in my life.

I understand. I often fight the urge to hurt people because of their lack of education too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Should've set fire to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Extreme shopping - Black Friday madness

http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Ian Watkins spoke with a female fan from prison the day after admitting two counts of attempted baby rape and said he was going to issue a statement when he was sentenced saying it had all been "mega lolz".

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/abuse-was-mega-lolz-watkins-29849663.html

Mega lolz? Mega fcuking lolz?

May the 35 year sentence be a painful one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just scanning the board, and this thread is directly under a thread with the title "cabinet to consider lowering the age of consent". That, and people like Ian Watkins.

Then there's politicians that seem to think that fundamental things like travelling, or living outside a slum, are luxuries that should be taxed out of existence.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It has very high viewership and won lots of awards.
    Maybe other people enjoy it?

I think it's pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Fianna Fail rising in the polls.
    Very worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just the general negativity and freedom to absolute critique anythin that has ever been created on a mass public scale via internet is pretty scary, all for freedom of speech but at times it can be hard to decipher if people are being genuine or just trying to be unpleasant for the sake of it

Advertisement