Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Excited! wrote: »
    HI All,

Just wondering what are everyones opinions on getting highlights while pregnant??

I had mine done just before i got pregnant but its time i do something with my hair again. I read soewhere that its not recommended to dye all your hair blonde as it makes contact with your roots etc but that highlights are ok because they dont actually make contact with your roots/head.

To be honest im thinking of just avoiding them altogether now and just having the hairdresser put a light brown in my hair as thats my natural colour, but im wondering is there a difference what type of dye i ask her to use i.e permanent semi etc? I cant ask her as ive just started going to her but shes very good friends with some of my friends that im not telling im pregnant for another few weeks,

I know this is so trivial but i havent a clue about it so would appreciate any shared knowledge :)

Hi girls how is everyone? I haven't been on in a while hope you are all good :)

Excited, I got highlights when I was pregnant with dd and have appointment booked to get them done next week! From what I've been told it's better to have highlights done than getting hair dyed. And it's always nice to get the hair done mammy deserves some pampering every now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Excited!

Thanks a million for that Fairie and closifer

I really wasnt sure and didnt want to do anything that might be harmful, but im glad i dont have to go back to my mousey brown just yet!!!! :)

Hope ye are both doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well.

Excited - I worked as a hairdresser in the past and we always recommended against colouring directly on to scalp when pregnant for blondes. Something to do with temperature and your body heating up when pregnant. I don't know how scientific that is but as the other girls have said, highlights are ok but nothing direct to scalp. I use an organic colour called Keune directly on my scalp as it has no chemicals and it works perfectly and leaves my hair really soft and shiny.

I have'nt been on for a while as am so exhausted and emotional all the time, I can't sleep and the sleep deprivation is making me more emotional, I'm driving myself crazy never mind my poor boyfriend. I did the Darkness into Light walk last weekend as just thought to myself I'd be lying here awake anyway, my boyf and family didn't want me to do it but I didn't see the point in lying in bed awake all night again! Now I have a horrible cold and am sneezing like mad with sore throat, drinking hot lemon and honey to try soothe it.

I am 12 weeks next Monday and have my 12 week scan that day as well. I can't wait as have been worrying a lot. I dont know what kind of questions I'm supposed to ask, just been googling it and all I can see are questions relating to chromosomal abnormalities. It's not reassuring at all!

I'm craving mandarins and am constantly starving, trying to eat well and drinking loads of water to help with the problems being created by the hormone changes.

We have told everyone that matters except the two most important people - my partners children from previous relationship. We feel that it would be best to wait until mid summer as they would just be waiting until December and tormenting me to poke my belly :)

Sorry for essay length post, I'm wrecked after writing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

fima wrote: »
    Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well.

Excited - I worked as a hairdresser in the past and we always recommended against colouring directly on to scalp when pregnant for blondes. Something to do with temperature and your body heating up when pregnant. I don't know how scientific that is but as the other girls have said, highlights are ok but nothing direct to scalp. I use an organic colour called Keune directly on my scalp as it has no chemicals and it works perfectly and leaves my hair really soft and shiny.

I have'nt been on for a while as am so exhausted and emotional all the time, I can't sleep and the sleep deprivation is making me more emotional, I'm driving myself crazy never mind my poor boyfriend. I did the Darkness into Light walk last weekend as just thought to myself I'd be lying here awake anyway, my boyf and family didn't want me to do it but I didn't see the point in lying in bed awake all night again! Now I have a horrible cold and am sneezing like mad with sore throat, drinking hot lemon and honey to try soothe it.

I am 12 weeks next Monday and have my 12 week scan that day as well. I can't wait as have been worrying a lot. I dont know what kind of questions I'm supposed to ask, just been googling it and all I can see are questions relating to chromosomal abnormalities. It's not reassuring at all!

I'm craving mandarins and am constantly starving, trying to eat well and drinking loads of water to help with the problems being created by the hormone changes.

We have told everyone that matters except the two most important people - my partners children from previous relationship. We feel that it would be best to wait until mid summer as they would just be waiting until December and tormenting me to poke my belly :)

Sorry for essay length post, I'm wrecked after writing that!

Hi Fima,

Sorry you are having a rough time. I am having similar symptoms to you myself. Im exhausted by 9 o clock at night but then im wide awake at 5am and just toss and turn until my alarm goes off for work. I am also SO emotional. Lots of random tears!

Interesting that you are craving mandarins - I am going mad for strawberries. Im eating 2 punnets some days! Its insane (and very expensive)!!

Question for you - when you say you have your 12 week scan. Is that your first visit to the maternity? I have my first hospital visit scheduled for the end of May but I have no clue of Ill get a scan that day and they didnt send me on instructions about drinking water or anything. Should I assume I have one?

Thanks a million for that Fairie and closifer

I really wasnt sure and didnt want to do anything that might be harmful, but im glad i dont have to go back to my mousey brown just yet!!!! :)

Hope ye are both doing well!

Your welcome :) I'm the same too I def prefer my blonde to the mousey brown!!
    All good with me. We have a wedding in two weeks trying to find a dress that hides my bump it's massive already (probably because I still had bit of a belly after dd!) but there's nothing anywhere time to raid the wardrobe!!

• Advertisement

Hi fima and closifer

Sorry you are having a tough time fima the second trimester is a liitle easier your almost there! You get a bit more energy and emotions are a little bit easier to control. Nap whenever you can it really does help. Say you can't wait for your scan it's so exciting. There isn't much to ask at first appointment I found on dd it was later as baby got bigger we get a few more niggles. Anything you think of write it down baby brain tends to kick in at these appointments!

Closifer I'm with mullingar we get a mini scan at every appointment hopefully same this time. Some hospitals may be different and scan may be a different day to your booking appointment. You could always ring them and ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hbelle

Yeah one of my collagues ms at 17weeks which is awful but yeah we cant dwell on those thoughts or we wouldnt get out of bed in the morning....have to keep positive!!!

Yes i looove sleeping on my tummy...im going to get one of those long pillows to help me sleep this weekend, ill wait til after my scan on sat...sooooo excited!!!!

Hbelle: Best of luck with your scan tomorrow...let us know how you get on, bet it will be wonderful :)
    Hi all & Excited!!

Well had had our scan today.. All went fine thank god.. We have a heart beat!!! Just so relieved.. I was very emotional going in, as it brought back the bad memories of when we we there last August! When the midwife put the wand on my tummy the first thing she said was " congratulations to you both".. It was such a relief.. I'm now 7 weeks and 4 days.. Due date 31st December!!!! It was just great to see the flicker of the heart beat in the small sac on the screen.. What a picture :-)

Went off shopping after scan and got a lovely new pair of gap jeans with STRETCH! My tummy is getting big, which is ridiculous when the baby is the size of peanut... I blaming all the extra fluid in my body.. All my work trousers are getting tight.. Thankfully I always wear long scarfs in work, so hopefully this will help to disguise the bump.. Roll on next 4 / 5 weeks.. We're wishing our weeks away...

Continue to feel nauseous nearly full time and so tired in the evenings.. I actually find work a good distraction, as I'm busy.. Can't concentrate how I'm feeling..

EXCITED: Was it this weekend you had hen party? How did it go?

Hope all other December moms are doing ok! X

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Fairie - Thank for the info re your scans! Ive had an early scan already but any opportunity to see the peanut is welcome at this stage!

Hbelle - Wow on your due date! You could be be having the first baby of the new year! My due date is Dec 5th and my partner is raging because apparently December is a terrible month to be born for sporting purposes. Means nothing to me!

Also, my clothes were also ridiculously tight from about 4 weeks back so dont be worrying about that. Im almost 11 weeks and I have to wear maternity pants to work already and I have to buy some maternity jeans this month. My stomach is SO bloated!

Hi All,

Just wondering when/if you guys got a letter of appointment or whatever from your hospital? Ive done the paperwork with the gp etc who said the hospital would contact me, but im 10weeks this weekend and i havent heard anything from the hospital.

My gp told me to come back to her at 12 weeks but im assuming that the hospital may not contact me bang on 12 weeks depending on where in the country we are located?? I dont know what do you guys think?

Filma - Im so sorry your having a rough time, ive got alot of the same symptoms as you, i cry at everything and anything and im really trying not to be stressed but not easy when i cry at everything!! At least your at 12 weeks soon so hopefully things will get easier for you very very soon, I think you guys made the right decision not to tell the kids til later, december is forever for them!!!
    Reminds me of when my mam was pregnant with my little sis she was about 8months gone, i was 8yrs old and had broken my finger playing gaelic, so we were in the a+e getting my finger x-rayed and the doc said to me ''so are you hoping for a little brother or sister?'' i looked at him blankly as i had no idea what he was talking about!! My parents hadnt told me because i was an still am the most impatient person ever, but i was so laid back i never thought anything of it even though she would have almost been ready to drop!! Anyway the dr realised when he seem the look on my mams face and he said ''Well id like you to be the first to know that your mammy is going to have a baby''......i was delighted and broke the news to everyone that day!!!!.....god when i think how innocent i was lol

Fairie- yes me too, i prefer the blonde!! And i know exactly what you mean about clothes for a wedding...we have one this friday so im going to have to raid my wardrobe too....Im already gone up a bra size so hope my dresses will fit x

Hbelle wrote: »
    Hi all & Excited!!

Well had had our scan today.. All went fine thank god.. We have a heart beat!!! Just so relieved.. I was very emotional going in, as it brought back the bad memories of when we we there last August! When the midwife put the wand on my tummy the first thing she said was " congratulations to you both".. It was such a relief.. I'm now 7 weeks and 4 days.. Due date 31st December!!!! It was just great to see the flicker of the heart beat in the small sac on the screen.. What a picture :-)

Went off shopping after scan and got a lovely new pair of gap jeans with STRETCH! My tummy is getting big, which is ridiculous when the baby is the size of peanut... I blaming all the extra fluid in my body.. All my work trousers are getting tight.. Thankfully I always wear long scarfs in work, so hopefully this will help to disguise the bump.. Roll on next 4 / 5 weeks.. We're wishing our weeks away...

Continue to feel nauseous nearly full time and so tired in the evenings.. I actually find work a good distraction, as I'm busy.. Can't concentrate how I'm feeling..

EXCITED: Was it this weekend you had hen party? How did it go?

Hope all other December moms are doing ok! X

Awww thats just fantastic Hbelle, congratulations :) And thats a great due date, we might be seeing you on the news if you time it right lol

Im so glad to hear that you guys are feeling that your tummies are big and clothes tight....i was the same from a few weeks ago and i thought i was going mad since the baby was the size of a peanut (me and my hubby have gotten used to calling it the peanut now but i believe we've evolved to the size of an olive now lol!!)

Im loving penny's leggings and long tops that go in under your bust...hopefully ill get awhile out of those!!

It was 2 weekends ago that i was at the hen and it was tough to be honest....i was so so tired but i had to smile and say i was on antibiotics so couldnt drink. there was another girl there under who was about 10weks and she did all the activities and had a couple of drinks....each to their own but its not for me im trying to do everything by the book amd im still worried sick so no way would i do that.

Anyway have a wedding this weekend so im hoping i can stay awake til the band get there at least lol!!

Your great to see work as a positive when your so tired!

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »

Interesting that you are craving mandarins - I am going mad for strawberries. Im eating 2 punnets some days! Its insane (and very expensive)!!

Question for you - when you say you have your 12 week scan. Is that your first visit to the maternity? I have my first hospital visit scheduled for the end of May but I have no clue of Ill get a scan that day and they didnt send me on instructions about drinking water or anything. Should I assume I have one?

Hi Closifer, I'd love some strawberries now since I read that, just dispatched the boyf to pick some up...€5 a punnet so I'll try not to get addicted .... what I'd really like is strawberries in prosecco, I've promised myself that will be my treat when this little one makes an appearance, I'll be sloshing it around the labour ward :)

This is'nt my first scan as had one at 6 weeks due to pain but that was just a very quick check to make sure there was a heartbeat and not ectopic. Next mondsy is a routine scan that I got an appointment for weeks ago after my doctors visit. It may depend on the hospital you'll be attending.

I assume you will get scan, it makes sense but the Irish health system is a mystery so maybe not! You will need to drink a litre and a half of water and possibly not eat that morning but your letter should tell you. Don'take the mistake I made of drinking gallons of water too early and ending up with a big round bloated belly in agony! I'll be sure to just start drinking the water on my way in the car next week as I was in bits and looked 6 months gone, I had to go and pee so they midwife could scan me!

Thanks for the support ladies, my emotions are just ridiculous now! My dad had an accident yesterday, serious but treatable and I've been a bawling mess when I would normally be very sensible about these things. He's in surgery now and he told the surgeon to make him better for his first grandchild on the way! Bawling!
    Hope everyone's good, I was thinking that maybe next week I'll do a list of due dates, wish I was'nt first .... eeek!

Hi ladies hope everyone is good.

Closifer I would get a scan every day if I could always good to see baby :)
    Hbelle glad your scan went well great date would be pretty cool to have first baby of the year!
    Fima hope your dad is ok and you are too try not to worry or stress too much, I know easier said than done.

I had a major fight with my wardrobe today nothing fits anymore so off to penny's this afternoon leggings and long tops are going to be my best friends for the next few months!
    Excited I hope you got something to wear for the wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hi All,

Haven't been on in awhile as I've just been so sick and exhausted. Glad to hear everyone is great. I'm 8wks+3 days today and rang hosp to see when my scan is scheduled and its not until the 19th June when i'll be 13wks+. My sister in law went for her 12 scan during the week and unfortunately found out she missed miscarried at 8 weeks. Too say i'm a little nervous now would be an understatement. I think i'm going to book in for a private scan into the women's health clinic.

I don't have any cravings as such but i cannot stand tea at the moment (which i used to love). The only thing i can seem to drink is water and orange juice-which is n't a bad thing i suppose.
    My stomach is very bloated which never happened me on my other 2 pregnancies, i look about 4 months pregnant already.

Hi All,

Carlows - so sorry to hear about your sister in law's ms thats so hard for her, and also for you being so close. Its everyones worst nightmare. But we have to try not to stress.
    Im the same as you being bloated ....its crazy!

Filma- Also im so sorry to hear about your dads accident, i hope he's doing ok now, and fairie is right when she said you have to try not to stress and worry too much although id imagine thats an almost impossible task. Hope your feeling a little better xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Hi Everyone
    I will have my first scan this Monday and Im super scared and worried of getting bad news :-( I even started feeling like I don't have any symptoms at all ... miss worries here!
    This is the first time ever that I wish it was Monday already ;-)

Hi guesswhat ,
    I know exactly how you feel. My scan is tomorrow. Im so nervous and scared :-( Hopefully i will have good news .

Strange thing today i rang my dr's surgery to ask when should i expect to get a hospital appt as im 19 weeks now and she told me they are a v busy hospital and my first scan will prob b at 20 weeks. But i rang the hospital to check and they told me i would be called between 12 - 14 weeks but they hadn't gotten any documents from the doctor to register me, i wasn't on the system at all......so if in doubt...ring!!!

Hi girls hope everyone is good. I'm the exact same over thinking everything we're all in mammy mode! Happy scan day today excited let us know how you get on get ready for the waterworks it's such an amazing thing to see!! Happy scan day on Monday guesswhat :)

Excited I was the same on dd doctor forgot to send forms to hospital so I was over 14 weeks at booking appointment. I rang a couple of times this time round just to make sure all is in order.

It's nice outside today going to bring dd for a walk hopefully I'll make it out of our estate I'm exhausted!!

Hi Everyone, Thanks for well wishes for my Dad, he's getting out of hospital today :) I hope everyone is keeping well and minding themselves.

Excited I hope your scan went ok! fingers crossed for you x

Guesswhat I have my scan on Monday as well, this will be my 12 week scan and I am literally terrified, I have felt like my symptoms were going in the last week so I just need to get in and hear the heartbeat again. It's at 9 in the morning and I am wishing the minutes away! I cannot wait to walk out of that hospital with those pictures in my hand.

Fairie I hope you had a nice walk, I went out with my boyf and his kids yesterday and because my symptoms haven't been so bad I forgot for a minute and was starting to climb up a tree before he reminded me it probably wasn't the best idea. I can't imagine that would do any harm although I didn't join in with rolling down the hill afterwards :) kids were very disappointed, I feel terrible because I can't be as active as I used to be with them. I was exhausted by the end and came home and slept from 4 until 9 so maybe that's the symptoms back!

Is anyone else getting a belly? My boyf makes pounding noises when I walk now and says its ok because I can't run fast enough to catch him and kill him :(

Last thing, is anyone looking at getting anomaly scans done? I found out my hospital only scan at 12 weeks and 31 weeks unless there's a problem. That is waaaay too long for me so there's a place where I can pay for a private anomaly scan at 20 weeks. Just wondering what the opinion of these are? My friend says to get a scan in between just go to doctor and complain of pain but I can't do that I'd feel like I was jinxing it ...

Super long post from me again, sorry!

My GP told me I should contact hospital myself and but she mentioned some forms that she filled in and said that was going to post somewhere but can't remember what forms where those. I contact hospital myself. Tomorrow is private scan as I can't wait any longer. My scan is at 3:30 ;-) tick tack tick tack ... time goes by too slowly!

Hi All,

Happy scan day filma and guesswhat looking forward to hearing how they went and do you cry any less the second time round lol!!!

Thank god my scan went great on saturday, I dont think i will ever forget that first glimse of my little one and i was so shocked at how it looked like an actual baby this early on. I thought i was 10 weeks and should be by my dates but she said im only 9 and it often happens with people who have very irregular periods. So my new due date is Dec 20th, hopefully an xmas baby but my lil sis (who is a nurse) reckons im more likely to go a bit over so it'll be closer to new years!!! Hopefully not but as long as its healthy i dont care when. Scans are very addictive....once you have one you just cant wait for the next one!!!

Filma- not sure about the anomaly scan as yet im just eager to get to 12-14 weeks then ill think about that but i know your there now so your thinking about it now, i think i prob will go for it privately when the time comes.....congratulations on the 12 week milestone :)

• Advertisement

OMG ... so exciting to see tinny little baby moving on the screen :-) Scan went well this afternoon! I wish I could do it every week now

Excited & Guesswhat I'm delighted your scans went well! Did you get pictures? I got 4 and I cant stop looking at them :) All is well and I'm so relieved and happy now... Just have to get to twenty weeks now! The hospital booked me in for an anomaly scan at twenty weeks so I wont have to go private. This was due to family history so I'm relieved that's 250e more I can spend on baby stuff!

A question for the ladies that are not fist timers, how many times should I go to my GP during the pregnancy? They booked me in for a midwives visit in September and the anomaly scan in July, should I go to GP in August maybe? They said I'm a low risk pregnancy so I assume that means I can just motor away myself?

Excited & Guesswhat I'm delighted your scans went well! Did you get pictures? I got 4 and I cant stop looking at them :) All is well and I'm so relieved and happy now...

I got 3 pictures :-) so so tiny but can't stop looking at them. One of it shows the heartbeat graf. So much happier now :-) Three more weeks and I'll see it all again (hospital app). Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hello December mums! Hope you are all well. Haven't posted on here in a while, been feeling so rough lately even watching tv and using my phone makes me queasy- staring at a pc all day in office doesn't help! It has eased a little now so I'm just feeling sick in the evenings now but so tired still all day.

So lovely to read about your scans, its so amazing to see. I had my early date scan yesterday evening, I am 4 days further along than I thought but the due date was later than I worked out - 24th December!!!! This will be a very different Christmas for all of us this year won't it!!

I got two photos, you could see it wriggling around it was just surreal! Very emotional! I know someone mentioned the abnormality scan, I think I'll get that done in a couple of weeks, its a tough decision though isn't it!

Hi
    I hope you're all doing well :-)
    What's your experience in relation to flying while pregnant?
    I'll be flying (week holiday) during week 12 and not sure what to expect. The bumps of the bus make be a bit nauseous so Im a bit concerned that in plane it will be worse

guesswhat wrote: »
    Hi
    I hope you're all doing well :-)
    What's your experience in relation to flying while pregnant?
    I'll be flying (week holiday) during week 12 and not sure what to expect. The bumps of the bus make be a bit nauseous so Im a bit concerned that in plane it will be worse

Hi Guesswhat,

I know the scan is amazing and im the same as you id love to have one every week! they are addictive. I got 2 pics, hubby has one and i have the other and im looking at it all the time!

Re flying im jealous your jetting off somewhere nice! We decided to have a hol in ireland when we found out coz im such a nervous flyer anyway i always have a couple if glasses of wine to relax me for any flight but thats not an option now! So im afraid i have no good advice to offer you, except maybe if you have a dr's appt before then then speak to them (or chemist if not) about it, they might recommend flight socks and travel bands or something at least if you do that your mind will be at rest.

Have a good day all x

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hey folks,

I hope you don't mind me gate crashing on your thread. My due date is officially early Jan, but we found out this week after an early pregnancy scan that we are having twins, so in reality I will probably be giving birth in December (or even late November!) I don't know what thread to be on anymore! lol

So symptoms wise, I am still a few weeks behind all you guys, but it is reassuring to see what is ahead for me. My nausea is relatively manageable, but other symptoms such as breathlessness and rapid heart beat and tiredness are much more pronounced due to there being two little beings to be baked! (we are calling them baked beings! they are not even the size of a bean yet but they look a bit like a bean/being so hence the name!).

Hope everyone is doing well. Hope to learn loads from you folks who are a few weeks ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Congratualations Hello Lady!! That is amazing news about twins! you must be delighted ;)

Guess what - I will be flying (only an hour and half flight!) in week 14, I was going to fly earlier but have kind of put it off until after 12weeks, everything I read said flying is ok, it is just for longer flights to move around and wear those pressure socks. As Excited says I would speak to your doctor just to check to give you peace of mind ;)
    Lucky you having a holiday! Hoping to get away somewhere for some sun in Sept maybe but buying a house at the minute so I can't really see it happening!!! Although last summer holiday on our own before babba arrives so think it's worth the scrimping!!

Congratulations Hello Lady, that's amazing and I must admit I am a little bit jealous, I would love twins!

Hope everyone is well, Afternoon Tea I'm sorry you're feeling rough, I hope it passes soon for you.

Well I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and I can honestly say I feel brilliant, just slight tiredness in afternoons. I had pregnancy acne and that's going, I'm sleeping much better and my boobs aren't sore but are still growing while my belly is definitely high up and round and hard. That's something I'm finding hard to be honest, the way my body is not mine anymore, it's a bit strange!

Guesswhat and Afternoon Tea, enjoy your holidays! Try rescue remedy pastilles if ye are nervous flyers, my Mam swears by them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Congratulations Hello Lady, that's amazing and I must admit I am a little bit jealous, I would love twins!
    well you say that until the enormity of it hits you! :P We are of course delighted, but I am more than freaked out by the fact that two humans are growing away in there - I learned this week that a normal pregnancy causes your uterus to expand to the size of a football or large watermelon. Well on twins it is 50% bigger than that again - think beach ball! :eek: Plus singleton pregnancies increase blood volume by 50%, whereas multiples increase it by 100% no wonder I'm so breathless and tired - pumping all that blood around takes its toll!

The tiredness is really staring to bowl me over now - I was grand until the last week or so. This weekend was the nicest weather we had in ages and probably is the entirity of our summer and I spend most of it asleep!

We are thrilled that we will have an instant family, especially after years of trying, but I can't help but worry how I will cope with work and two little people. What about going on holiday? Its hard enough with one little person, let alone two infants! It just dawned on me how many bottles I will need to prepare each day! And how many nappies will need to be changed! It is wonderful news, but terrifying and exciting in equal measure!

Advertisement